IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The Bourne Identity (for early teens)

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
29 May 2014

I don't know whether I should be ashamed for liking this film or not. There's absolutely nothing new here that you haven't already seen (assuming you've been consuming a basic diet of Hollywood mainstream movies for the last two decades like I have).

Abduction is about a boy Taylor Lautner (from Twilight fame) who discovers he is suddenly on the run from a group of baddies (you know the type - foreign accents, plenty of disposable henchmen and can only shoot bottles when firing machine guns at a teenager). Um, that's about it really. Taylor gets chased here, Taylor gets chased there, hooks up with a pretty young girl with big eyebrows along the way - that sort of thing.

However, Abduction's big difference is that, instead of an adult being hunted by baddies who can't shoot straight (or overpower a fifteen year old), it's the afore-mentioned fifteen year old. And, baring in mind that there's minimal violence (defined by a lack of the red stuff when people get shot), this film is largely aimed at mid teens. It has plenty of pop culture references to Lady Gaga and Facebook that will amuse their generation.

I couldn't really think of anything wrong with it. Okay, I've seen it all before and it ticks all boxes. It's not a classic, but it's entertaining enough.

If you haven't seen this type of sinister-conspiracy-CIA-chase-type-film before, you'll probably love it and give it 5/5 (or just someone from 'Team Jacob').

If however, you grew up collecting the original Star Wars toys and can remember when Transformers had nothing to do with Michael Bay, you may feel like it's Beverly Hills 90210 mixed with Jason Bourne and your score will be more around the 3/5 mark.

Maybe I'm just a child at heart. I actually appreciated it for a piece of silly, chase-orientated action entertainment. Plus it had Sigourney Weaver in it - and Ripley rocks.

Give it a go. There's worse out there (Michael Bay, are you reading this?)

Twillight haters can't get off Lautner's back.

Author: angiris
19 April 2014

This film is good and its blatantly obvious that the most of the negative ratings are dominated by a negative twillight attitude. How do I know this... Because this films story - even though its not cannon or anything special - is good and decent. It's your standard action flick with a ton of good actors and some surprises thrown into the mix... Whats not to like?

Singleton may not have created a masterpiece here - maybe the films purpose is to grant Lautner and Collins some time in the spotlight since they're both up and going actors. Maybe the idea is just to make a simple action flick or maybe it's a simple cash-in. Hell I don't know but I DO KNOW that the content here is entertaining and respectable. The acting is solid, the film doesn't look cheap in any way and the story - while feeling quite rushed and there are loop holes present - isn't bad. The potential is there though it isn't utilized to it's full extent. Having said that that can be said about almost every single movie nowadays...

If you like watching a respectable but nothing major action flick with a bunch of good actors who all do their part well then this film is a good choice. Maybe some kind of Sunday night entertainment or something or just for killing time .. Hell if I know.

I rate this film a 6 for being a "good film" not a great film, not a super film, nothing like that. 6 for good and that's what it is.

Entertaining, simple, action-packed, bit of love here and there. Its a stereotypical action flick actually and even though I'm not much for such films the fact that there are so many good actors in it make it entertaining and worth a look at least if you got nothing better to do and looking for something.

Nothing special just simple action with good actors.

And all you twillight haters... Stop throwing your hateful ratings all over the Twillight cast's other movies. Your ratings are anything but objective and you're dooming the films one eyesight rather than on content. I bet half the people who rated this didn't even finish the film. They just saw Taylor Lautner.. thought twillight and BAM... down-rated.. Now I can't prove that of course but I can't help to see a connection between the twillight hating and the poor ratings that Lautner's first leading role in a film got. Maybe I'm wrong here... But honestly... I don't think so.

Stop hating and start reviewing the actual content and not actors backgrounds... You're rating the film... not the actors...

So much potential...

Author: Movie Lover from United Kingdom
1 March 2014

Before I give my thoughts on this movie, can I just make one thing clear. A lot of people have called this film 'terrible'. It is not terrible and is worth watching.

First off, I'll start with good things about this film...

Lautner is great. Because he's popular with the ladies, I think people don't notice his acting skills. He portrays a very convincing and complicated role of teenager, Nathan. Secondly, this movie is full of action. Literally, there is not a dull moment. It is moderately violent, but no major injury detail which is good if you don't like blood! The plot is complicated enough to keep you interested but not overly confusing.

However. There are times when the effects and directing could have been improved. The movie has so much potential. I think there are several moments where the tension could have been built, dialogue could have been improved, and the whole layout of the film!

Despite the negatives, this film is worth watching. It may not be the best action/thriller, but I've seen worse!

Taylor just can't lead

Author: SnoopyStyle
1 December 2013

Nathan (Taylor Lautner) has a troubling feeling that something is wrong with his life. With his friend Karen (Lily Collins), he finds a picture that looks like him on a website for missing children. He contacts the website but the chat gets creepy. He hangs up, but it's too late. It's a trap, and a vast organization has sent men to retrieve him.

Taylor Lautner and Lily Collins are actually pretty similar. They're both beautiful. They both have questionable acting skills. And they both need to prove themselves sooner rather than later. They certainly didn't prove themselves here.

This is the latest John Singleton film. I'm not sure what he's trying to do. Maybe he sees making teenie films for the tween set is where he has to go now. I think it's a mistake. This is not really his type of movie.

The premise has some promise. I like the set up of a kid with a secret revealed. The movie has some good action moments. I don't want to be mean about this. But I just don't think Lautner has it in him to lead a movie. He can physically do it, but he can't emotionally do it.

Interesting Concept Defeated by Sub-Par screenplay

Author: KA Metcalf (pioneerkaren@gmail.com) from North Carolina, US
27 July 2013

I had high hopes for this film based on the original concept and the caliber of the casting. Unfortunately, the direction of the screenplay did nothing but create implausible developments and dispassionate dialog.

Many reviewers have placed sole blame for the film's shortcomings on the shoulders of Taylor Lautner, but I feel that he, and the entire cast, did the best work possible with the script available.

To begin with, Lautner portrays well the average, privileged high school student with normal adolescent problems- like how to ask out the girl he likes. The film creates a strong family dynamic for Nathan and his parents, Kevin and Mara. Yet, when Nathan believes he sees his picture on a missing children website, he doesn't go to them with his questions. This begins the screenplay's failure to portray any semblance of reality. The attack that killed his parents could have occurred while Nathan was learning the truth thus sending him on the run and in search of the missing pieces of his past.

The script limits Nathan on the amount of grief, indeed the amount of residual effects, he suffers over the loss of his parents. In fact, no other character ever refers to Kevin and Mara as his parents. Since they did, in fact, raise him... they should be acknowledged as his parents. In removing that emotional connection, the screenplay voids much of Nathan's attachment to them.

The screenwriter relies heavily on gimmicks rather than focusing on substantial content dialog. Even the veteran actors' characters seem to be hollow with no real depth. To lay blame on the shoulders of the young star is to sell him short when he does the best he can with the script he was given.

Even with its shortcomings, I still enjoyed the movie... more as a tongue-in-cheek nod to an action movie, but still enjoyable. I suggest watching it again paying close attention to dialog and content rather than putting Lautner alone under the microscope.

Thrilling At Times, Bummer At Times

Author: jimmyro from Israel
11 May 2013

As teen flics go, I relinquished a demand for total logic of my own volition. The movie began alright, and moved into the thriller suspense genre smooth enough. Even the initial action scenes were acceptable. Then came the wall known as linear plot development. Things stop making sense, became totally unbelievable and I stopped caring. The leading lady looks like a petite fourteen year old with thick eyebrows, like a Russian bear. The make out scenes border on illegal voyeuristic stomach turning filth. She is an unconvincing leading actor. Taylor passes the grade as a leading man, but just barely. Then why did I give it seven stars ? Because the first half succeeded in knotting my stomach and getting me excited before the all too common in Hollywood, devastating mess they called an ending. All in all, some fun, some suspense, some intrigue and I recommend.

Not like Twilight

Author: lalitdevraj from United States
2 February 2012

Yes, its Taylor Lautner, but personally I do not feel that this movie is in the 4-5 band. I feel it is greater than a 6, but less than a 7.

Possibly it is an overflow of hatred from the protagonist in this movie being in the Twilight series which averaged down the rating for this, but I must say it is a good movie.

The storyline is rather basic with minor twists, but the screenplay did augment the movie overall. Cast, except Taylor who is the USP for the movie, could have been better.

Worth a watch as it does display the 'Thriller' genre as stated but at the PG-13 level of course.

Very disappointed

Author: irish_kid_86 from United States
31 January 2012

I was actually kind of excited to see this movie and see what Taylor Launter could do beside being an angry Werewolf.... (Twilight saga). Needless to say I was very disappointed with this film.

Great idea of a movie and plot. Acting was not up to par at all. The combat seemed cheesy and not well executed. Also Lily Collins is a beautiful actress but they should have trimmed her eyebrows for this movie. I was watching this in a group of 4 and that is all we keep thinking of. I don't know if there is a reason for this or not.

I didn't even finish the movie. I grew very bored of the bad action scenes.

Like i said all in all a good plot and idea for a movie. Just not good acting.

Awful - Read Why

Author: Kurumu from United Kingdom
29 November 2011

{WARNING: Contains film spoilers!}

I watched the film when it first came out, though it provided the occasional good yet somewhat average action and tense scenes. It was overall a painful experience.

The name of the film, it doesn't really even fit in much with the storyline. The extremely unrealistic hacking, and tracing, it just made me literally throw up. But the whole film, it was way too far fetched, especially as a teenager was the main character.

Maybe the film should have been aimed at a more mature target audience, use of profanity and more violence would've definitely made it a considerable amount better.

John Singleton & Shawn Christensen - You did a bad job. Other than making eye candy for the teenage girls with crushes on Taylor Lautner.

Taylor Lautner - Stick to being a wolf man in Twilight.

Never seen a movie with so much potential fail so hard....

Author: luxterg from Canada
23 November 2011

First of all, this movie had incredible potential. Great actors, great potential story / plot etc. What it lacked was execution. The camera work was b-movie at best, they didn't use their assets and it came out as a mess.

What was the fatal blow? The girl. The teenage actress is actually fantastic, she does a great job... however, there was no reason whatsoever for Lautner to carry her around like luggage. Literally useless.

Had they done better camera work and NOT HAD THE girl tag along with him, this movie would be an easy 8/10 probably a 9. Unfortunately, they really dropped the ball on this one by having her be literally useless and tag along with him.

This was supposed to be Lautners coming out party, but the storytellers thought making it a love story would sell it better to teenage girls. Fact is, Lautner could act, he has talent and the makers really did a bad job handling him.

None-the-less, I still give this movie a generous 5/10.