IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Expecting and getting is far away from each other

Author: sputnik29 from Zürich
2 November 2011

The trailer awakes expectations which were definitely not satisfied.

The story is assumable, simple "constructed" and far from reality or authentic...

Bourne Identity I-III has similar background, that the main character discovers his true past combined with a story, which most people would believe and it feels real.

This movie presents nothing.

The starting was surprising, the mother fought like Bruce Lee :) Then - after short time - it became hard to follow the story because the main plot is diffuse. Many scenes with acting but without a message. Some examples of scenes perfect for cut:

in a hospital, were they prevent showing faces into the cameras by balloons...when they reach the car, they show themselves in a provoking way and "funny" statement - unnecessary scene;

the lady was supposed to be dead, OK she appears later again;

the friend who organizes tickets, stuff and so on by receiving order via mobile, didn't they (CIA) check it like in other parts (cemetery, even camera everywhere)?

the scene in the train: one bad guy was watching behind the door...like in Halloween one of the worst scenes was (also in the train), how he broke the glasses of a bad guy and also threw him out of the train...I think a bad idol for kids, who believe that Nathan is/should be the hero

the end: real daddy helped suddenly, the lady appeared and became new mama of Nathan ;)

my conclusion is: a movie which is not necessary

I just remember some stupid scenes and kept almost nothing, because I was not fascinated - disappointed instead

Don't Even Bother Waiting For The DVD

Author: Ram Rengachari from Singapore
29 September 2011

We've heard comparisons between Taylor Lautner and Matt Damon, which is frankly an insult to the latter.

Lautner may be a staple in the action genre in years to come but right now, the comparisons are premature. His performance is stoic at times, which is a problem that permeates through the rest of the cast. None of them except Lily Colins provide a convincing performance, which says a lot because the young actress isn't any good herself.

I won't even bother typing a synopsis here because you probably won't understand the film even after the end credits start rolling. The storyline is all over the place. The directing is terrible. The camera angles confuse you on many occasions.

The movie is riddled with scenes and sequences that seem to be ripped off other well known films like Death Proof, Disturbia and maybe even the Bourne series.

I felt like the movie came across unintentionally as a satire but I assure you the movie is a serious action flick that just fails to be... serious.

I really don't know what else to say apart from "this movie sucks!"

Yes, I used a cliché line to review a movie. But Abduction doesn't merit any further analysis. How it even got shown on the big screen is beyond me.

it was great!

Author: jillian-schroeder116 from leamington, ontario
13 July 2012

i love that they stared Taylor for the role of Nathan. I don't know what people are talking about, but the acting was great! A lot of the stunts were done by Taylor himself like the first scene where Taylor is on the hood of the truck. It was very interesting and I liked how they showed how dangerous the internet can be. The movie actually shows kids that the internet isn't always fun and games, but it can be used by other people to track you and it can be very dangerous. overall i'd give it a nearly perfect mark, i found only 1 thing that i didn't like about it, and that was the kissing scene on the train. i did not like that part. It is too sudden and in-depth for the audience. The movie would have been a lot better if they would have kept that to a minimum, or better yet, taken it out all together.

Abduction should be kidnapped from cinematic distribution...

Author: the_rattlesnake25 from Sheffield, UK
8 October 2011

Two decades ago John Singleton wrote and directed the Oscar nominated 'Boys n the Hood,' and a mere six years after his last feature was released, he has returned with what can only described as a terribly generic action thriller. 'Abduction' brings together deplorable acting, a terrible script and an unoriginal idea which is executed poorly. Viewing this film is the cinematic equivalent of watching a car crash in slow-motion, the audience observes the disaster and devastation unfold on-screen, but the only way for them to avoid this horrifying event is to simply vacate their theatre seat and approach the box office for a welcome refund on the admission price of their ticket.

Nathan Harper (Taylor Lautner) is your typical teenage boy, but when he is paired with his long-time crush Karen (Lily Collins) on a sociology project, his life begins to unravel as they find his picture on a missing children's website. Nathan and Karen are left to fend for themselves as they find themselves in the cross-hairs of a major Eastern European criminal, whilst they must also decide whether or not to trust the CIA operative Frank Burton (Alfred Molina) who insists that he is there to help the young couple. What follows is an hour and a half of action sequences involving a teenage boy who not only manages to outsmart many experienced villains, but also the Central Intelligence Agency.

Generic, conventionalised, and unoriginal, are just a few words to describe the narrative of 'Abduction,' it's incredibly surprising that Shawn Christensen's script was sold to Lionsgate for an estimated one million dollars due to its preposterous and unintentionally hilarious nature. One particularly terrible scene takes place just after Nathan's 'parents' (Jason Isaacs, Maria Bello) have been murdered, as an injured henchman tells the young couple; "I'm not going to die here…there's a bomb in the oven." Seconds later, they reach the oven which contains the stereotypical bomb with visible timer before the house is blown into smithereens. While this is just one of many examples, to give Mr Christensen his dues, it is not always the script that sends the film into an infinite hallway of absurdity. Lautner's performance also readily helps this aspect along.

The young 'Twilight' star has so far unfortunately only developed two facial expressions, one which displays his tight-lipped macho bravado and the other is a wide-eyed smile. This is most evident in the scene briefly after they have avoided the bomb in the oven as CIA operative Frank Burton contacts the young man. Asking how he is feeling after he has just watched his parents being murdered, his expression doesn't change as he nonchalantly mentions that he is OK. Expressions, emotions and acting in general seem to have been excluded from Singleton's reasoning during the direction of this film, because even the experienced Alfred Molina, Maria Bello, and Sigourney Weaver are shown to be seemingly 'phoning-in' performances as they no doubt realised what kind of production they had unfortunately become a part of.

'Abduction' should be a film which is written about and praised alongside the likes of 'Airplane!' and 'Young Frankenstein,' because it is the perfect spoof of the action-thriller genre, encompassing every single cliché together with a laughable script and incredibly dubious acting, yet the sad thing is, this film is not a parody, but it is instead entirely serious motion picture. John Singleton's latest offering does leave the audience pondering one of life's most difficult questions however: why was this film commissioned for theatrical distribution?

Was not a good movie, like, at all!

Author: bcrewe-1 from Canada
28 September 2011

I just went to see this film, I was actually excited about this movie at first, and in all honestly, It was a very fun movie. But OMG, Taylor Lautner is one of the wort actors I have ever seen. He (In my opinion) Is no where near ready to Hold up a movie in the position of a leading roll. I get that his recent popularity Is what most people are going to see, but come on...... What 16 year old kid can take down a bunch of CIA People, oh wait, Taylor Lautner can. The story was very unrealistic. Not at all what I had hoped for. I will say that Lily Collins did a pretty good job In the film though, I expect great things out of her. But I just cant get over Taylor Lautner. If you want to go see a film that emphasize on seeing him ripped and many situations where his body is shown off, then this film may be for you. But I expect more out of a film, There are so many good actors out there that could have done a much better job, They may not be the 'Sex Symbol" that comes with Taylor, but at least they can act. He is a Steven Seagal in the making.

Before you criticize, let's see you do better! Well worth watching.

Author: David Holt (rawiri42) from Australia
25 June 2012

I wasn't going to write a review for Abduction - mainly because I didn't feel there was anything much to say. For me, the movie was fun and worth watching. But it wasn't exceptional (either way)! I should mention here that I always score the movies in my collection BEFORE looking at the IMDb average and I must admit that Abduction did leave me a little unsure of what to give it. However, my ultimate criterion for the score I give is always primarily based on how I felt right after watching a film rather than on a critical and clinical analysis of such "nut-and- bolts" as the quality of the acting, direction, lighting, special effects and so on. So, with that in mind, I gave Abduction 7.1 - and only then did I look at the IMDb rating of 4.6 and that, in turn, led me to look at the reviews already posted because I considered it to be overly harsh.

Well, people, I can only assume that all of you who have slammed this film for poor direction, poor acting and just about poor everything else are all Oscar-winning directors, producers or actors yourselves! It is clearly obvious that you could have taken the original plot and written a better screenplay and then directed it with young lead actors and won another Oscar! Come on!!

In particular, Jason Lautner is frequently vilified as being weak, ineffectual and lots of other negative things. However, I would like to suggest that he played the part AS SCRIPTED extremely well. He as SUPPOSED to be a timid, teenager! People have compared him to Bond, Bourne and goodness-knows what other adult male super-hero action figures. Why? He is a kid (albeit a handsome one with a nice body) who's dad - unbeknown to him at the time - is trying to prepare him for what will (possibly) happen later in his life because he knows who Nathan (Lautner) really is. It reminded me of Johnny Cash's "Boy name Sue"!

Anyway, Dad (who, as we very soon learn, is not actually his real dad) very soon turns out to be correct in his fears for the young Nathan when the bad guys arrive and kill him and his wife. (I REALLY loved the way she handled herself in her final minutes! WOW!! What a capable woman! That was most entertaining.)

Without wanting to spoil the story, we soon learn that there is no certainty at the outset as to who are actually the good guys and who are not (and that's probably the main theme of the mystery). Of course, we then have the insertion into the plot of Nathan's long-fancied but too- shy-to-act-on classmate girl (remember, this IS a movie and there needs to be a romantic element). Suffice to say that (step-)dad's training soon manifests itself in young Nathan when he is virtually forced to defend himself (and his girl) against ruthless antagonists and, considering his inexperience, he doesn't do too bad a job. But then I suppose all the 'knockers' who have vilified Lautner for "cheesy" acting forgot about that! He actually comes across very well as a young guy forced to fight for his life with no notice and I think he did so very well.

No, Abduction is not a block-buster - but it IS an attention-grabbing adventure that does what it sets out to do - entertain. So, if you happen to be reading this before deciding to watch Abduction, please ignore all the 'knockers' who, as I have said, would probably do a lot worse themselves (be it acting, directing, or writing!). Don't expect the best action movie of the year but just sit back and be entertained. By the way, I am NOT a teenager. Actually, I'm retired!

In this movie Nathan Harper (Taylor Lautner) is a regular teenage boy.

Author: bcordner
16 February 2017

Abduction Review Four out of five stars "Abduction" is one of those films that is just so stupid and badly done that you just can't stop yourself from laughing. This film is filled with cheesy lines and over dramatic actors. In this movie Nathan Harper (Taylor Lautner) is a regular teenage boy. He lives a normal life with his normal parents. He is most concerned with getting the girl and not getting bullied. His parents have made sure that Nathan can defend and protect himself. Little does he know that he is not the only one needing the protection. Nathan finds out that his parents, the people he has known since he was little, are not actually his parents. Nathan finds out that his adoptive parents are actually CIA secret agents. And his real father is neither good or bad. His real dad's nemesis killed his mom. And he is trying to kill him. This movie was meant to be serious but obviously failed. Even though John Singleton (director) failed to make this movie serious, he still made a good movie. When I say good movie I mean there is stupidity to a point of comedy. If you hate stupid acting and too much drama, this movie is not for you. Yes, this movie has really bad acting and directing, but those two factors were channeled towards comedy (not on purpose). If you have any sense of humor, if you don't mind bad acting, and directing you should watch Abduction.

Sadly Bad

Author: Per Johnsen from Trondheim, Norway
13 February 2017

Sorry, Taylor Lautner, but your parody of a college look doesn't help very much to making this a good movie, even though your acting is some of the best in this show. It takes about half an hour with silly and pointless presentation of the main characters to get to some point in the plot, and from then on - very few surprises, if any. Movies with a cast on this level normally get saved by some good acting, but this is low quality all the way. BMW can't have been too satisfied with their brand placement. It's actually sad to see what used to be very good actors, like Alfred Molina and Sigourney Weaver, waste their talent on this. Are roles hard to get? Something went wrong in the directing. You can actually see that they're trying hard not to overact, as they are told to on the set. And the great Swedish actor, Michael Nyquist, seems to have ended up as playing only super mean and no brained bad guys with four lines per film. So much for having a scarred face and crazy eyes. John singleton must be very pretentious, and it doesn't work. It's just sadly bad. I give it two stars just because I got sympathy for the crew.

Conventional action-drama

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
7 January 2017

Nathan is at high school. He discovers a younger picture of himself on a missing persons register. Once he starts investigating, he is drawn into a game of intrigue involving the CIA and foreign agents, where nothing is what it seems and nobody can be trusted.

A pretty conventional action-drama. Has a degree of intrigue but this just feels contrived and implausible. Plot develops in random, get-to-the-next-action-scene fashion, meaning that not much makes sense after a while.

Cast should be a give away that this wasn't going to be anything more than a weak teen-orientated fluff piece. While we do have the gravitas of such great performers as Sigourney Weaver and Alfred Molina, we also have the talentless Taylor Lautner in the lead role. Clearly just there for his muscles and to get the moronic Twilight fans to watch the movie, he really doesn't help the movie. What little credibility it had disappeared once he was cast and he lives up to the reputation, giving a very wooden performance.

Lily Collins plays the love interest and puts in a solid performance, especially considering the (weak) material she had to work with.

Sad that John Singleton's career has come to this. Considering that he directed Boyz n the Hood and Higher Learning, two great social commentaries, this movie is truly beneath him.

A great film with plenty of gore!

Author: Mr Horton from School
14 November 2016

If you're into sporting movies with a mix of racy scenes of violence then this is type of movie for you. On the other hand if you're not too keen on the sight of blood then you need to choose something with a rating below a 12. The love story between the two main characters is heart throbbing with a mixture of weird cringe scenes. The music throughout the movie is very current to the latest in hip hop, there are links of music from the old Rocky films. I would say there is a tiny amount of gore the main graphic parts are swelling to Adonis's face and blood. We would rate this movie a credulous 7 out of 10.I would definitely encourage you to watch this!