IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Truly Awful

Author: mcleodmackenzie from London
4 November 2011

Without question the worst movie I've seen this year. I'm actually angry that i wasted an hour of my life before switching off. I didn't think much of Taylor as an actor before this film and nothing has changed in that respect. However he was not the worst aspect of this movie. That award would go jointly to the script writers and director, who frankly should be rounded up and shot. (Actually that would be too quick, they should be forced to sit down and watch this film on loop until they want to kill themselves, doubt any would make it past the 3 hour mark before tearing out their own eyes!) A special mention should also go to the producers, who have managed to spend $35000000 on a film with all the production value of a hallmark TV movie, good effort guys!!!

AVOID THIS EXCREMENT!

(Or buy as Christmas present on DVD for the person you hate most in the world)

Awful, just awful

Author: kram_mirjana3 from Sweden
4 November 2011

This is truly an awful movie. I haven't even seen it all but I just had to write about this crappy movie. What a shame that some of the actors in this movie who's actually good actors otherwise, even considered being in this awful, awful movie.

This text may contatin spoiler!

It is truly anticipated that Taylor has to take of his shirt and show his abs in every movie. What is this? It's not like we're Mormons, we actually see abs once in a while and don't have to see THIS godforsaken boy's abs in EVERY movie he's in.

Before Taylor laid in the grass shirtless, he was at a party and runs in to Lily/Karen and then we see the most awful scene in the movie, Lily start's to whisper something in her boyfriend ears.

I'm like, who does THAT? Starts to whisper something to someone at a party right in front of someone. After that scene, the writers/producers set the bar pretty low for this movie.

Taylor/Nathan took his "parents" death pretty good considering that his goal seems to be doing Lily/Karen on the train and lay with her in the woods, Just like R-Pats in Twilight with "his Karen".

That is just one reason among ten of thousands of others that this movie should be annulled.

If all the hormonal teenagers would stop adoring Taylor, R-pats, Justin Beiber and many more, we'd actually had good actors in movies like this and people winning awards for their talent, and not because teenagers start to dry hump a chair as soon as they hear their name.

The only thing that has been abducted was the 106 minutes of your life, after watching this movie.

A very poor film, don't know why I watched it..

Author: user3742 from United Kingdom
2 January 2012

This is a film in the mold of Paycheck - it is as if the writers, directors, actors, in fact everyone involved had never seen anything in real life. It is full of cliché, Americana and pointless macho jingoistic rubbish. Some of the more famous members of the cast must have really had nothing better to do and just taken the money and tried not to worry about being involved.

I think there must be an emerging genre for this kind of film although I don't know what it is, yet. At least with most genuinely bad films at some point someone thought they were making something good. This film feels like it has been made from money, committees, focus groups, product placement and famous names - no actual care or value in it at all.

Really don't bother watching this film, definitely don't pay any money to see it, and as one other reviewer urges don't waste your bandwidth on it.

Expecting and getting is far away from each other

Author: sputnik29 from Zürich
2 November 2011

The trailer awakes expectations which were definitely not satisfied.

The story is assumable, simple "constructed" and far from reality or authentic...

Bourne Identity I-III has similar background, that the main character discovers his true past combined with a story, which most people would believe and it feels real.

This movie presents nothing.

The starting was surprising, the mother fought like Bruce Lee :) Then - after short time - it became hard to follow the story because the main plot is diffuse. Many scenes with acting but without a message. Some examples of scenes perfect for cut:

in a hospital, were they prevent showing faces into the cameras by balloons...when they reach the car, they show themselves in a provoking way and "funny" statement - unnecessary scene;

the lady was supposed to be dead, OK she appears later again;

the friend who organizes tickets, stuff and so on by receiving order via mobile, didn't they (CIA) check it like in other parts (cemetery, even camera everywhere)?

the scene in the train: one bad guy was watching behind the door...like in Halloween one of the worst scenes was (also in the train), how he broke the glasses of a bad guy and also threw him out of the train...I think a bad idol for kids, who believe that Nathan is/should be the hero

the end: real daddy helped suddenly, the lady appeared and became new mama of Nathan ;)

my conclusion is: a movie which is not necessary

I just remember some stupid scenes and kept almost nothing, because I was not fascinated - disappointed instead

Abduction should be kidnapped from cinematic distribution...

Author: the_rattlesnake25 from Sheffield, UK
8 October 2011

Two decades ago John Singleton wrote and directed the Oscar nominated 'Boys n the Hood,' and a mere six years after his last feature was released, he has returned with what can only described as a terribly generic action thriller. 'Abduction' brings together deplorable acting, a terrible script and an unoriginal idea which is executed poorly. Viewing this film is the cinematic equivalent of watching a car crash in slow-motion, the audience observes the disaster and devastation unfold on-screen, but the only way for them to avoid this horrifying event is to simply vacate their theatre seat and approach the box office for a welcome refund on the admission price of their ticket.

Nathan Harper (Taylor Lautner) is your typical teenage boy, but when he is paired with his long-time crush Karen (Lily Collins) on a sociology project, his life begins to unravel as they find his picture on a missing children's website. Nathan and Karen are left to fend for themselves as they find themselves in the cross-hairs of a major Eastern European criminal, whilst they must also decide whether or not to trust the CIA operative Frank Burton (Alfred Molina) who insists that he is there to help the young couple. What follows is an hour and a half of action sequences involving a teenage boy who not only manages to outsmart many experienced villains, but also the Central Intelligence Agency.

Generic, conventionalised, and unoriginal, are just a few words to describe the narrative of 'Abduction,' it's incredibly surprising that Shawn Christensen's script was sold to Lionsgate for an estimated one million dollars due to its preposterous and unintentionally hilarious nature. One particularly terrible scene takes place just after Nathan's 'parents' (Jason Isaacs, Maria Bello) have been murdered, as an injured henchman tells the young couple; "I'm not going to die here…there's a bomb in the oven." Seconds later, they reach the oven which contains the stereotypical bomb with visible timer before the house is blown into smithereens. While this is just one of many examples, to give Mr Christensen his dues, it is not always the script that sends the film into an infinite hallway of absurdity. Lautner's performance also readily helps this aspect along.

The young 'Twilight' star has so far unfortunately only developed two facial expressions, one which displays his tight-lipped macho bravado and the other is a wide-eyed smile. This is most evident in the scene briefly after they have avoided the bomb in the oven as CIA operative Frank Burton contacts the young man. Asking how he is feeling after he has just watched his parents being murdered, his expression doesn't change as he nonchalantly mentions that he is OK. Expressions, emotions and acting in general seem to have been excluded from Singleton's reasoning during the direction of this film, because even the experienced Alfred Molina, Maria Bello, and Sigourney Weaver are shown to be seemingly 'phoning-in' performances as they no doubt realised what kind of production they had unfortunately become a part of.

'Abduction' should be a film which is written about and praised alongside the likes of 'Airplane!' and 'Young Frankenstein,' because it is the perfect spoof of the action-thriller genre, encompassing every single cliché together with a laughable script and incredibly dubious acting, yet the sad thing is, this film is not a parody, but it is instead entirely serious motion picture. John Singleton's latest offering does leave the audience pondering one of life's most difficult questions however: why was this film commissioned for theatrical distribution?

Taylor Lautner Must Beat Up Bad Guys and Critics in Abduction!

Author: Adrian Val Olonan from Philippines
12 May 2015

I watch movies primarily because I wanna be entertained. In any movie, realism sells. It's very amazing to know that Taylor Lautner is willing to do most of his stunts in this movie, because so few actors will do so.

This is a very entertaining action thriller. The lead, Nathan, discovers that his parents are not his true ones and a bunch of bad guys go after him. His friend Karen (Lily Collins) is even pulled into danger. Pacing is good. I love the scenes where Lautner does a fight scene with him getting slammed and the parkour chase. Not every lead actor does that.

I just don't understand why some people, especially the critics,hate this film into bits. If they don't wanna watch, then get the hell out of here. I guess because Taylor Lautner belongs to the hated Twilight franchise, so he suffers the hate. I'm a neutral party to the franchise, but we've to admit it's a very successful film project. I believe Lautner is a very awesome actor and he deserves greater projects in the future.

A Teen Dream- Not For Avid Action Fans

Author: katelouiseward from United Kingdom
28 February 2015

In Taylor Lautner's breakout role from the 'Twilight' saga, this film did possess some potential to showcase his range, depth and quality as an actor. However, one of the only things it appeared he did showcase was his bare chest. Not that I'm complaining.

To be fair to Lautner, who played the film's protagonist Nathan, the script was extremely limited and I felt that the action scenes he was involved in built up tension and added some much needed spice to an otherwise dry and predictable wordplay. I did warm to Nathan's character, although there was rarely any character development as the story centred around him finding his picture on a missing child website and the action-packed aftermath of the revelation.

The unnecessary love story between Nathan and Karen, the girl next door who he had secretly been crushing on, is rushed and although the two actors have great chemistry, the relationship seems to stem from nowhere and Karen's character is about as intriguing and useful as a wet floor mop. Acting by supporting roles such as Isaacs, Molina and Weaver were also adequate in fulfilling their purpose but again, lack of character development does not allow for a great understanding.

Undoubtedly the film did have potential and some really interesting moments, however the in some places flat plot and diabolical script writing left me feeling confused, and wishing that Lautner could land a role allowing him to break free from the brooding teenage love interest that he seemingly escaped from in his previous films. I do think critics have been harsh on 'Abduction', after all it is rated PG 13, I mean were they expecting 'The Matrix'?

Overall the action scenes were the saviour of the entire film for me, as I found myself gripped particularly in the end scene at the baseball game. The fact that Lautner performs most stunts himself adds authenticity and again, allows the female viewers some entertainment. I would say this film definitely appeals to the teenage target audience,and if you're just looking for some serious thrills and spills, disregarding the storyline itself, the movie is perfectly enjoyable. However,if you were anticipating a riveting action film with a fully engaging plot, you will most likely be disappointed.

Action good, acting bad.

Author: Saiph90 from United Kingdom
16 December 2014

Not the worst film I have watched on the plus side the action scenes were OK, the acting was a bit stone faced and not in the drug sense. I believe this is a vehicle for an actor from the Twilight franchise, being a bloke in his 50's I guess I am not the target audience. This I presume is aimed at teenage girls and the bloke obliges within seconds of the start of the movie by ripping his shirt off. The story is slightly beyond far fetched for example his foster parents simply give up their lives to protect a list? a college kid who appears not to be the sharpest tool in the box outwits the CIA, international assassins? never mind at least the dialogue was audible and it progressed at a decent pace. The acting was a bit and I am being kind, one dimensional, I guess his direction was, portray teenage angst, not sure what Phil Collins daughter direction was as her expression barely changes from scene to scene.

It's not that bad!

Author: Vicky Norton from United States
15 November 2014

I can't understand why everyone's so down on this movie. In fact I'm giving it an extra star because I feel sorry for it. For heaven's sake, what were you expecting, Shakespeare? It's a teen movie! I know there are better teen movies for adults out there, but if you're just looking for a little action, a little entertainment, a couple of cute leads, and a little bit of angst and peril, this is your movie. I also don't know why everyone's giving Taylor Lautner such a hard time—it's a movie where he finds out his parents aren't his parents right before they're killed in front of him. He acts perfectly believably in this situation. Not sure what people are expecting. And why are you looking for a fabulous script when the show is about TEENAGERS, who aren't known for their wit and snappy dialogue? Yes, there are cringeworthy lines and clichés, and the ending resolution, as far as his family situation, is a bit weird, but again, I'm not waiting for a Sherlock-level script here. Plus the problem people have with Taylor being 'shirtless' within five minutes. He's passed out on the floor, guys, not standing around flexing. Just chill the hell out, make some popcorn, and enjoy some mindless action and eye candy.

Sure this is just a showcase for Lautner but its still a decent (teen) action flick

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
7 October 2014

Ha, in reading all the reviews, this movie is hated. I actually kind of liked it once I put myself into the mindset of a fourteen year old girl and just went along for the ride. Sure its just a showcase for Taylor Lautner, and sure his acting is pretty terrible but I enjoyed the story of a teen who discovers the parents who raised him aren't his real folks, triggering events that leave him running for his life and pretending he's in a Jason Bourne movie.

I thought the action scenes were pretty good (despite the plot holes) No one can say that Taylor isn't at least... athletic. There was also a great back up cast of talent including Sigourney Weaver, Jason Isaacs, Maria Bello and Alfred Molina.

I'll admit the romance/kissing scenes were very awkward but I did enjoy how the audience didn't know who to trust either until the very end. Kinda twisty. 5/30/14