IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Bad, bad, bad, then worse

Author: vlcal61 from United States
27 January 2012

The movie takes place in Pennsylvania. I live in Pennsylvania. At the start of the movie the friends talk about the Pirates opening game, making it early April. It's not warm enough for pools to be open. Trees are just starting to bloom in April, the leaves would have never been that big, or dark in the beginning of April. High school wrestling would have ended by the beginning of March. And that's just the beginning of the inconsistencies. Everybody seems to find where everyone else is, and get there awfully fast. I know if I wanted to find someone, putting them on a missing children web site is the way to go. They're in Pa, they're in VA, they're in PA, and everybody knows where they are. And the bad guys never shoot when they should because they're too busy talking. I understand it's a plot device to allow the good guy time to get there and be a hero, but it's just soooo lame. The whole thing was just do lame. And the final nail in the it's really a lame movie coffin is that my husband liked it. He likes the worst movies.

Brainless and Lame Story, Poor Lead Actor

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
9 November 2012

The teenager Nathan (Taylor Lautner) feels outcast at home; has nightmares; and is shy. His father practices self-defense with him; he has consultations with the psychologist Dr. Bennett (Sigourney Weaver); and he has a crush on his classmate and next door neighbor Karen (Lily Collins).

When he finds a website with photos of missing children with Karen, he suspects that he might have been adopted. He also contacts the site and the attendant locates him and calls Nikola Kozlow (Michael Nyqvist) in Europe and the guy travels with his gang to USA. Soon his mother discloses that she is his foster mother but his parents are murdered by two criminals. Before dying, her father asks him to run away. He takes Karen to the hospital and Dr. Bennett tells him that he is in danger and gives an address in Pittsburgh to him with the names of two persons that he can trust on. Now Nathan and Karen are hunted down by Kozlow and his men and also by the CIA. The teenagers do not know who is reliable and travels to the address Dr. Bennett gave to them.

"Abduction" is a thriller that wannabe another Bourne Identity-like movie. However, the brainless and lame story has many flaws and despite the cast with Sigourney Weaver, Michael Nyqvist, Maria Bello and Alfred Molina, the lead actor Taylor Lautner is a reasonable and unconvincing athlete and ruins any chance that this flick might have had. Lily Collins is gorgeous and nothing else. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Sem Saída" ("No Way Out")

Before you criticize, let's see you do better! Well worth watching.

Author: David Holt (rawiri42) from Australia
25 June 2012

I wasn't going to write a review for Abduction - mainly because I didn't feel there was anything much to say. For me, the movie was fun and worth watching. But it wasn't exceptional (either way)! I should mention here that I always score the movies in my collection BEFORE looking at the IMDb average and I must admit that Abduction did leave me a little unsure of what to give it. However, my ultimate criterion for the score I give is always primarily based on how I felt right after watching a film rather than on a critical and clinical analysis of such "nut-and- bolts" as the quality of the acting, direction, lighting, special effects and so on. So, with that in mind, I gave Abduction 7.1 - and only then did I look at the IMDb rating of 4.6 and that, in turn, led me to look at the reviews already posted because I considered it to be overly harsh.

Well, people, I can only assume that all of you who have slammed this film for poor direction, poor acting and just about poor everything else are all Oscar-winning directors, producers or actors yourselves! It is clearly obvious that you could have taken the original plot and written a better screenplay and then directed it with young lead actors and won another Oscar! Come on!!

In particular, Jason Lautner is frequently vilified as being weak, ineffectual and lots of other negative things. However, I would like to suggest that he played the part AS SCRIPTED extremely well. He as SUPPOSED to be a timid, teenager! People have compared him to Bond, Bourne and goodness-knows what other adult male super-hero action figures. Why? He is a kid (albeit a handsome one with a nice body) who's dad - unbeknown to him at the time - is trying to prepare him for what will (possibly) happen later in his life because he knows who Nathan (Lautner) really is. It reminded me of Johnny Cash's "Boy name Sue"!

Anyway, Dad (who, as we very soon learn, is not actually his real dad) very soon turns out to be correct in his fears for the young Nathan when the bad guys arrive and kill him and his wife. (I REALLY loved the way she handled herself in her final minutes! WOW!! What a capable woman! That was most entertaining.)

Without wanting to spoil the story, we soon learn that there is no certainty at the outset as to who are actually the good guys and who are not (and that's probably the main theme of the mystery). Of course, we then have the insertion into the plot of Nathan's long-fancied but too- shy-to-act-on classmate girl (remember, this IS a movie and there needs to be a romantic element). Suffice to say that (step-)dad's training soon manifests itself in young Nathan when he is virtually forced to defend himself (and his girl) against ruthless antagonists and, considering his inexperience, he doesn't do too bad a job. But then I suppose all the 'knockers' who have vilified Lautner for "cheesy" acting forgot about that! He actually comes across very well as a young guy forced to fight for his life with no notice and I think he did so very well.

No, Abduction is not a block-buster - but it IS an attention-grabbing adventure that does what it sets out to do - entertain. So, if you happen to be reading this before deciding to watch Abduction, please ignore all the 'knockers' who, as I have said, would probably do a lot worse themselves (be it acting, directing, or writing!). Don't expect the best action movie of the year but just sit back and be entertained. By the way, I am NOT a teenager. Actually, I'm retired!

Very entertaining action movie with a splash of suspense

Author: KraftCat from United States
8 February 2015

I was quite surprised by the vitriol and sour grapes that I saw in many of the reviews for this movie. By some accounts you would have thought that the teenage lead (Taylor Lautner) had his shirt off every chance he could, but in fact there were only two instances at the beginning of the movie and in one you only saw his back. In both cases it was not out of place for the circumstance in which it was done. It makes me wonder just how much of the exaggeration and negativity is the result of envy for the young man as opposed to the movie itself. I'm glad that I decided to take a chance on the film because my family and I found it quite enjoyable and engaging (including my 83 year old father).

The story was interesting with a few twists and turns that held our attention throughout the film. There were a few loopholes in the script, but not so much that they distracted from the story as a whole or caused you to get lost in the plot. I found the action sequences to be well done because Taylor did the majority of his own stunts and the shots weren't being jerked around trying to disguise a stunt double. This young man definitely has the physicality for an action movie.

The young teenage actors held their own with the support of a very seasoned veteran cast. Do they still need to grow with their acting...of course they do...but they demonstrated great potential and played their teenage parts admirably. The kissing scene was a little clumsy, but then again, the characters are teenagers under stress kissing for the first time since middle school. Who wouldn't be clumsy under the circumstances?

There were a few curse words, but they weren't numerous and the "violence" was not bloody or gory. This is not a movie filled with CGI effects. It is dependent upon the action between the characters and their environment which it does very well.

Overall, the movie is a teenage action flick that even adults will find entertaining if they just sit back and enjoy without over analyzing each nuance of the film. I would recommend this movie for an evening of family entertainment when you're in the mood for an action movie without a lot of violent scenes.

Not Good

Author: bootucci from Atlanta, Georiga
12 November 2011

First off the movie starts with Nathan(Taylor Lautner) is sitting on the front of a car, going at least 80 M.P.H. The police doesn't see them, nope keep driving like you were. They go to a party, get drunk, and fall asleep on their yard, that's fine, sure. Next he has his shirt off laying there, but he's the only one.

Nathan goes to his house, his dad is happily standing there to fight him! So this goes on for at least 20 min. His mom comes out, just standing there while his father beats the crap out of him.

It goes on when he finds his name on a missing person's website. So he has to get away from the bad guys, until the people are gone.

At the end of this horrible film, everyone dies in his family, his fake mom and dad, real mom dies, and doesn't even know his real dad.

I can't wait until some of the other films this year comes out. If I were any of you I recommend you save your money for a better movie.

it was great!

Author: jillian-schroeder116 from leamington, ontario
13 July 2012

i love that they stared Taylor for the role of Nathan. I don't know what people are talking about, but the acting was great! A lot of the stunts were done by Taylor himself like the first scene where Taylor is on the hood of the truck. It was very interesting and I liked how they showed how dangerous the internet can be. The movie actually shows kids that the internet isn't always fun and games, but it can be used by other people to track you and it can be very dangerous. overall i'd give it a nearly perfect mark, i found only 1 thing that i didn't like about it, and that was the kissing scene on the train. i did not like that part. It is too sudden and in-depth for the audience. The movie would have been a lot better if they would have kept that to a minimum, or better yet, taken it out all together.

All round terrible.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
6 October 2011

I'll admit it, I thought the trailer for this action-thriller looked pretty good and, despite it being a Taylor Lautner vehicle, was quietly excited about seeing it. Well why shouldn't I have been? It stars legendary thespians Sigourney Weaver and Alfred Molina, as well as respected actors Jason Isaacs and Maria Bello. And the close quarters combat looked appealing too. I figured it couldn't be too bad. I was wrong. Way wrong. One of the worse blockbusters to grace our cinemas in recent times, Abduction demonstrates just how poor a film can be when those involved are only there for the money. The aforementioned veteran cast are positively woeful, John Singleton's direction is stilted and lead star Lautner (you may know him as Jacob from Twilight) has a long way to go before he will make a decent headliner. With crappy special effects and a forgettable soundtrack, this is all round terrible.

Awful... Abysmal... so bad it was funny

Author: crazybilby from Australia
30 September 2011

I couldn't help but laugh at how poorly done this film was. Taylor Lautner, aka one of the worst actors of our time has really tried not at all to change that reputation...

He has managed to take his stilted, generic, or just downright awful dialogue and deliver just as you'd expect: bland, uninteresting, and pretty unemotional (his face is wet with tears, but his voice says "what do you mean I'm meant to change inflection and tone?") His performance unfortunately doesn't stand out from the veteran actors around him seem to be amiss as to how to turn around their dialogue and lack of character depth into something salvageable.

There's no amazing twists or turns, no big surprises. The plot goes along just as you'd expect it, unless you were expecting imagination. I kept laughing at Lautner's bad delivery, at the obvious clichés or stupid plot devices. It gives its twists away quite deliberately leaving nothing for the end but a poor attempt at a tear jerking introduction of Nathan's father. Some things don't even make sense, like how Nathan keeps travelling - as he's on the run, he obviously is going to try and get out of the city right? - but he can conveniently call his best friend to come meet up with him somewhere to give him things (this happens more than once in less than 24 hours. Where did he run to? Down the street?) Thank goodness the CIA didn't think to tap his friend's phone!

The entire movie seems to reek of an uninspired first draft.

A movie that's as badly directed as it is acted.

Author: NIck Bassett (nickbassett1981@hotmail.com) from Bournemouth, UK
29 September 2011

Lautner plays Nathan, a seventeen year old guy who seems to live two separate lives. He is the popular adrenaline-seeking kid who rides to school on car bonnets, gets drunk at house parties, and has unspoken feelings for the girl next door, Karen - overacted here by Lily Collin. He's basically Mr 90210, with less cash.

But then there is the other side to Nathan. Behind closed doors, he regularly spars with his father in physical battles that become increasingly aggressive and relentless. He also suffers from insomnia and bouts of rage, issues that he discusses with his therapist, Dr Bennett (Weaver) in regular counselling sessions. In short, he is a mixed up young man.

And if life wasn't tough already, it's about to deal him one more major bad hand. When assigned to work with Karen on a project about missing kids, Nathan's life comes crashing down around him, when he sees his face staring back from one of the ads. Suddenly he has to deal with the fact that his parents aren't who they say they are, that his whole life is built upon a lie, and that everything he thought he knew, he didn't.

It's no surprise then, that he is rather preoccupied by the time the bad guys arrive to get him. Men with guns turn up, Nathan does a runner with lusty Karen in tow, and what ensues is a cat and mouse chase across the country. It usually sees the youngsters get to one place, a phone call gets tapped, and then they move on. Then some foreign guy turns up to beat them up, they beat him up. They move on. It's quite straightforward really. Predictable to a 't'.

That's not to say that it's not entertaining. Remember in the '90s, those action movies where the ability to act was a 'would like', and the ability to kick the asses of Eastern European villains was a 'must have'?

Well, those action movies were EVERYWHERE. A corrupt government or body take on one guy who is pretty good at high kicks, and which typically ended in some mass chase-cum-action sequence, set in a massive public forum such as a football game or a crowded theatre.

That is the standard of movie we're talking here. And if we consider Lautner's performance at that level, then he didn't do too badly at all. He may still have the acting prowess of Joey Tribbiani from 'Friends', but there's also something rather watchable about him.But, my guess is that this wasn't supposed to be seen as a B movie. It feels like a botched attempt to put together a Bourne movie aimed at the teen market. But the Bourne movies appealed to the teen market, so why dumb the formulae down? One of the big failings of 'Abduction' is that rationale and reason becomes so diluted, that you have to throw all common sense out of the window, for this movie to hold together.

But that's the least of the worries. By far, the biggest problem with this movie was the script and direction which was absolutely diabolical.

The camera work seems very lazy. When chatting with his therapist, the camera just pans back and forth, back and forth between Nathan and Dr Bennett, as if the man behind the lens is filming a wedding. Scenes in the gym with the Nathan and his pals, have so much happening on screen that you don't know who to look at. But with Lautner skipping up and down off centre, in a vest and short combo, you can imagine where my eyes were focused.

The worst part - or funniest part, depending on how I look at it - was that you never felt you were watching a natural performance from anyone involved. It felt SO staged throughout. In fact, this is the first time that I have watched a movie at the cinema and literally felt like I could input the director's comments at every appropriate moment.

"Taylor, hold her in your arms. Kiss her head. Now look up to the sky." What makes me feel like this is more a direction fault is that it was not exclusive to Lautner. Even acting legend, Sigourney Weaver moves like a spasmodic marionette, and whilst she delivers her dialogue, there is no real emotion behind them.

With lines like "I hate balloons" followed by a dramatic pause, you can understand why she might not be investing everything in to this rather underused character. But if she wasn't happy with the script, she'd have not taken the role.

The romance between the two youngsters is supposed to be fledgling and, to give them their dues, there is chemistry there. However, when the pair aren't getting amorous, the dialogue is laboured and riddled with clichés that leave you either laughing out loud, or cringing in to your seat.

Karen: Two days ago, we were high school kids. That seems like a lifetime ago.

Nathan: That's because…(pause)…it was.

As the pace picks up, Lautner actually leaves the cocksure Nathan behind him, which comes as a relief, and indeed shows some actual character progression. A few big bangs, and action sequences are thrown in to the mix and those also help to maintain general interest levels, entertaining the audience for fleeting moments in time.

However the final denouement is a real let down. No originality. No risk. No surprise. The bog standard, by-the-book ending is as lazy as the direction and I left the cinema feeling a little bit cheated. If 'Abduction' had presented itself as the kind of movie that it ended up being, I'd have known what I was letting myself in for. This is a no-frills B-Movie. Don't let the supporting cast make you think otherwise.

Hopelessly bland

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
1 October 2011

The premise of the movie, the veteran cast and a talented director were the reasons why I wanted to see this film, despite Taylor Lautner and that the trailer looked awful. Okay, I'll give the film some credit, it is not as bad as the trailer suggested.

However, the rest is hopelessly bland. The direction is rather plodding and never really that focused. Abduction doesn't necessarily look cheap, but the editing lacks finesse and feels stilted and the camera angles often have a dry and frenzied look to it particularly in the action sequences.

The music had some decent rock tunes on its own, but they don't always suit the tone of the film. The action itself is alright, but I couldn't properly enjoy it because the editing felt very awkward and frenzied, so any skill and intimacy was lost.

Dialogue-wise, Abduction is awful. It is very laboured, cliché-ridden and doesn't flow very well at all, complete with pop-culture references that I agree will date quickly. I liked the concept of the film, but I wasn't engaged by the story. The more dramatic scenes are unemotive, stodgy and contains Abduction's most stilted moments, while the ending is anti-climatic, the beginning was cheesy and plot points are poorly incorporated and resolved. I admire films that deal with themes that people can identify with, with Abduction using isolation and loss. The film's problem however is that it doesn't do anything with them.

Abduction's acting doesn't fare much better, with nobody looking natural in their roles. Taylor Lautner(he as an actor and the Twilight films I am very indifferent to) is wooden in a very irritating sense. He doesn't have enough charisma for the action and he seems very disconnected in the dramatic elements of the film. His abs look great but that's it. Lily Collins looks wonderful, but does or is given little else beyond that. Alfred Molina is a good actor, but not given much to do, while Jason Isaacs is wasted and Sigourney Weaver tries her best but hindered by awful dialogue and a character, like everyone else in all fairness, that I didn't care for at the end of the day.

Overall, a hopelessly bland, derivative, poorly acted and stilted film. 2/10 Bethany Cox