IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Very entertaining action movie with a splash of suspense

Author: KraftCat from United States
8 February 2015

I was quite surprised by the vitriol and sour grapes that I saw in many of the reviews for this movie. By some accounts you would have thought that the teenage lead (Taylor Lautner) had his shirt off every chance he could, but in fact there were only two instances at the beginning of the movie and in one you only saw his back. In both cases it was not out of place for the circumstance in which it was done. It makes me wonder just how much of the exaggeration and negativity is the result of envy for the young man as opposed to the movie itself. I'm glad that I decided to take a chance on the film because my family and I found it quite enjoyable and engaging (including my 83 year old father).

The story was interesting with a few twists and turns that held our attention throughout the film. There were a few loopholes in the script, but not so much that they distracted from the story as a whole or caused you to get lost in the plot. I found the action sequences to be well done because Taylor did the majority of his own stunts and the shots weren't being jerked around trying to disguise a stunt double. This young man definitely has the physicality for an action movie.

The young teenage actors held their own with the support of a very seasoned veteran cast. Do they still need to grow with their acting...of course they do...but they demonstrated great potential and played their teenage parts admirably. The kissing scene was a little clumsy, but then again, the characters are teenagers under stress kissing for the first time since middle school. Who wouldn't be clumsy under the circumstances?

There were a few curse words, but they weren't numerous and the "violence" was not bloody or gory. This is not a movie filled with CGI effects. It is dependent upon the action between the characters and their environment which it does very well.

Overall, the movie is a teenage action flick that even adults will find entertaining if they just sit back and enjoy without over analyzing each nuance of the film. I would recommend this movie for an evening of family entertainment when you're in the mood for an action movie without a lot of violent scenes.

Eye-poppingly terrible

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
17 January 2014

Conceived as an action vehicle for TWILIGHT star Taylor Lautner, ABDUCTION is an absolutely terrible film from start to finish; I mean, this goes beyond mere bad to become eye-poppingly, gratuitously awful. It's truly one of the worst films I've seen recently and the worst Hollywood picture of 2011.

The extraordinarily wooden Lautner - an actor who fails to invest his character with any humour, charisma, or intelligence - plays a kid who's wanted by the government for some reason or another. Pretty soon (but not soon enough), assassins show up on his tail, but unfortunately for the viewer they don't kill him. Instead, we have to put up with an endless chase format, with faceless and uninteresting bad guys chasing an equally uninteresting hero and his vapid girlfriend.

It's hard to choose the worst thing about this film; whether it's the stultifying dialogue (the script was written by a kid and for some unfathomable reason had no rewrites), the terrible acting or the insipid direction. It's quite a surprise to see some of the famous faces turning up at the trough for their paycheques; Alfred Molina should know better, but at least Jason Isaacs and Mario Bello have the grace to give the only semi-decent performances in the entire thing. Michael Nydvist plays yet ANOTHER stock villain (after MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL), but most disappointing of the lot is Sigourney Weaver. How far she has fallen!

Tries to be mind-boggling and exciting, but fails on all fronts.

Author: Alex G
20 October 2013

To start this review right, I've got to tell you-- I hated this movie. Surprisingly, it wasn't Taylor Lautner that ruined it, but of course he was a part of it.

Let's start by talking about Lautner. He's definitely a good stuntman, but beyond that... he's just boring. The only thing he can do is overact, or not act at all. He's either stoic and unfeeling, or crying for no reason. His character is a blank slate, that remains a black slate. Within the first 5 minutes he resorts to being shirtless.

The lines aren't badly delivered, they're just bad.

Cliché count:

"How do you know my name" 3 times

"Trust has to be earned" 2 times "Kids.../Teenagers..." 3 times

The rest of the non-cliché dialogs is just bad, kind of like The Room, but with a larger budget. Lines like "Can I take a shower" or "Your baby shirt!" are always a laugh. The camera work is atrocious, I'd argue it's worse than the Hunger Games camera. In action scenes, the camera continuously cuts and takes shots from random angles. No shot can stay in the same spot for more than 3 seconds. It just pulls you out of the moment. When the scene is slow, the camera has to zoom in and out for no reason whatsoever.

The characters, like a said, are just awful. They take no time to develop them, because they movie is too busy trying to explain its stupidly overly complex plot to a group of preteens who likely just want to see Lautner fight ninjas shirtless. The main characters share no chemistry, and everyone else acts like more of a robot than Taylor does. Many things remain unexplored, and the main characters never seem to react to the fact that their lives have been torn apart. We get to the end, and they expect us to believe that non of these characters have been changed or scarred.

It's all just BS. People may say the action is good, but in reality, it isn't the movie doesn't try and does all it can to pull viewers in with nothing more than Taylor Laughter and guns.

Not Good

Author: bootucci from Atlanta, Georiga
12 November 2011

First off the movie starts with Nathan(Taylor Lautner) is sitting on the front of a car, going at least 80 M.P.H. The police doesn't see them, nope keep driving like you were. They go to a party, get drunk, and fall asleep on their yard, that's fine, sure. Next he has his shirt off laying there, but he's the only one.

Nathan goes to his house, his dad is happily standing there to fight him! So this goes on for at least 20 min. His mom comes out, just standing there while his father beats the crap out of him.

It goes on when he finds his name on a missing person's website. So he has to get away from the bad guys, until the people are gone.

At the end of this horrible film, everyone dies in his family, his fake mom and dad, real mom dies, and doesn't even know his real dad.

I can't wait until some of the other films this year comes out. If I were any of you I recommend you save your money for a better movie.

Warning - You are about to lose 2 hours of your life...

Author: elliot-barraford from United States
28 September 2012

I can't remember a move this terrible in the entirety of my life. Sometimes there are movies so bad that they're funny - this is not one of them. It's frustratingly bad because they're trying so hard to be serious.

The writing is horrendous, but not because it's bad (which it is, very much so) but because it's a collage. Every scrap of this movie is an idea cut out from another movie, then acted out poorly. Lets go through some of the list:

Contemplative while sitting at a desk scene- Check. Cute girl flirts with unattractive guy to gain access- Check. Mysterious aiding character - Check Nobody can be trusted- Check. Unfulfilled sexual attraction (with non-developed character relationship) - Check

Then you can add insane character decisions due to the unskilled writers. At one point, a character has a gun, pointed at another person holding a gun, and guess what he does? Fire the gun ? Wrong. Instead of pulling a trigger this experienced armsman decides to do a flying tackle over a counter. Good move, looks like all of that target practice paid off. Did I mention he was visibly holding the gun while tackling the 'bad guy'? Be careful, you might accidentally shoot him...

Lautner may become a leading man one day, and this movie may have been good practice, but he's definitely not ready yet.

This goes for both leading actors. Instead of actors trying to be characters, it's as if they are trying to be actors they've seen - play that part of the movie, in that other movie, that one time.

Do NOT watch this movie. I hate myself for making that decision. Don't fall victim.

never judge a book by its cover

Author: miketaylor2007 from Canada
20 January 2012

The trailer for this movie looked interesting. I had high expectations for Abduction because in the trailer it looked like it had a lot of action and suspense. This in my opinion is the worst thriller ever created and I would feel ashamed to produce or direct such trash. The story was not put together well at all and Taylor Lautner's acting abilities are laughable throughout the entire film. I just came to realize this kid can't act at all and he should never have a staring role in anything. I absolutely hate the movie. What is next Hollywood? Bieber to star in Commando 2?! I believe Abuction is not even worth a one time watch and I hate the fact that they would get somebody as untalented as Taylor Lautner to star in it. I guess even if this movie had Van Damme it was already doomed anyway.

Bad, bad, bad, then worse

Author: vlcal61 from United States
27 January 2012

The movie takes place in Pennsylvania. I live in Pennsylvania. At the start of the movie the friends talk about the Pirates opening game, making it early April. It's not warm enough for pools to be open. Trees are just starting to bloom in April, the leaves would have never been that big, or dark in the beginning of April. High school wrestling would have ended by the beginning of March. And that's just the beginning of the inconsistencies. Everybody seems to find where everyone else is, and get there awfully fast. I know if I wanted to find someone, putting them on a missing children web site is the way to go. They're in Pa, they're in VA, they're in PA, and everybody knows where they are. And the bad guys never shoot when they should because they're too busy talking. I understand it's a plot device to allow the good guy time to get there and be a hero, but it's just soooo lame. The whole thing was just do lame. And the final nail in the it's really a lame movie coffin is that my husband liked it. He likes the worst movies.

it was great!

Author: jillian-schroeder116 from leamington, ontario
13 July 2012

i love that they stared Taylor for the role of Nathan. I don't know what people are talking about, but the acting was great! A lot of the stunts were done by Taylor himself like the first scene where Taylor is on the hood of the truck. It was very interesting and I liked how they showed how dangerous the internet can be. The movie actually shows kids that the internet isn't always fun and games, but it can be used by other people to track you and it can be very dangerous. overall i'd give it a nearly perfect mark, i found only 1 thing that i didn't like about it, and that was the kissing scene on the train. i did not like that part. It is too sudden and in-depth for the audience. The movie would have been a lot better if they would have kept that to a minimum, or better yet, taken it out all together.

All round terrible.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
6 October 2011

I'll admit it, I thought the trailer for this action-thriller looked pretty good and, despite it being a Taylor Lautner vehicle, was quietly excited about seeing it. Well why shouldn't I have been? It stars legendary thespians Sigourney Weaver and Alfred Molina, as well as respected actors Jason Isaacs and Maria Bello. And the close quarters combat looked appealing too. I figured it couldn't be too bad. I was wrong. Way wrong. One of the worse blockbusters to grace our cinemas in recent times, Abduction demonstrates just how poor a film can be when those involved are only there for the money. The aforementioned veteran cast are positively woeful, John Singleton's direction is stilted and lead star Lautner (you may know him as Jacob from Twilight) has a long way to go before he will make a decent headliner. With crappy special effects and a forgettable soundtrack, this is all round terrible.

Awful... Abysmal... so bad it was funny

Author: crazybilby from Australia
30 September 2011

I couldn't help but laugh at how poorly done this film was. Taylor Lautner, aka one of the worst actors of our time has really tried not at all to change that reputation...

He has managed to take his stilted, generic, or just downright awful dialogue and deliver just as you'd expect: bland, uninteresting, and pretty unemotional (his face is wet with tears, but his voice says "what do you mean I'm meant to change inflection and tone?") His performance unfortunately doesn't stand out from the veteran actors around him seem to be amiss as to how to turn around their dialogue and lack of character depth into something salvageable.

There's no amazing twists or turns, no big surprises. The plot goes along just as you'd expect it, unless you were expecting imagination. I kept laughing at Lautner's bad delivery, at the obvious clichés or stupid plot devices. It gives its twists away quite deliberately leaving nothing for the end but a poor attempt at a tear jerking introduction of Nathan's father. Some things don't even make sense, like how Nathan keeps travelling - as he's on the run, he obviously is going to try and get out of the city right? - but he can conveniently call his best friend to come meet up with him somewhere to give him things (this happens more than once in less than 24 hours. Where did he run to? Down the street?) Thank goodness the CIA didn't think to tap his friend's phone!

The entire movie seems to reek of an uninspired first draft.