IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Loved it

Author: truehimself-471-468782
13 January 2013

Well, if are like most people, you're not going to like this movie. Obviously, I am different from most people. I had a blast. Do I have lower standards? Hell no! I find 9 out of every 10 American films too boring to watch.

The only hook I that can actually make me watch a movie is superb acting or great action, preferably both. I rarely find a movie thrilling, but for me this one was all the way. I love the edge-of-your-seat drama-action type movies or shows like 24, The Event, Nikita and this was an endless thrill ride. No, there were no Oscar winning performances, but the performances given wee just fine, thank you very much.

I saw many of those high budget that were rated higher than 8, including The Avengers, and enjoyed this one so much more. Story line was elaborate, unpredictable, plenty of initial mystery and the action was non stop. If you are looking for heart felt performances go elsewhere. If you want to have a 2 hour adrenaline pumping experience in a well done action flick, look no further. It totally did it for me (as a comparison I almost fell asleep at The Avengers)

One more thing, some people do not enjoy fast paced sequences, or intense action and this kind of people will naturally evaluate a movie based on the acting or other things, and I don't blame them for it.

Viewers who can easily get into high action, will enjoy an action/drama movie provided the acting and storyline were decent. The acting in Abduction was more than reasonable for me. Certainly, good enough for me to enjoy the entire movie. This is not Jackie Chan type acting, but a rather dramatic style acting and VERY believable in my opinion. In fact, Taylor Launter did a fine job portraying exactly the type of character he was supposed to be portraying. I really enjoyed the constant thrill which started in the first few moments and only built up much more as the movie went along.

Actually really nice movie, not enough credit

Author: Eskil Tester from Netherlands
4 January 2013

I have read all reviews here and as usual on IMDb am shocked how negative many people are about many titles. Again about this movie, it is actually a nice decent, action movie, starting out with some pretty nice teen drama.

The problem on IMDb is that many folks have no idea what they are talking about and bash flicks for all the wrong reasons. If you like honest movies, with nice drama, decent action scene's, pretty good story telling, don't miss out on this movie.

acting of lead characters is enjoyable and actually pretty good. Don't miss out on this movie or many others, just because a few people rate it low and bash it. as usual i like a movie which was rated very low, and afterwards thought, damn those critics on IMDb really suck most of the time.

Be your own judge, and enjoy a nice flick like this :)

Watchable pulp.

Author: The Backseat Director from United Kingdom
9 March 2012

Taylor Lautner goes all out to prove he can carry a movie.

Shrugging off the wooden dialogue, questionable underlying philosophies and the miserable Kristen Stewart is certainly a step in the right direction! One thing he doesn't seem too great at, though, is carrying his rather bulky frame. He hulks where most would walk, and there's actually something about his gait that reminds me of a particular gentleman in my old gym who seemed to spend more time working on his quads than he did walking on them.

Still, what would Taylor be without his hulking bulk…

Nice to see Hollywood still like their identikit female companion to run holding hands, scream at the bad guys, hand Jacob (whoops, Nathan) weapons on cue, kiss-and-hold in the quiet moments, and ask that all important question: "are we going to die, Nathan?"

Surrounding them are the appropriately menacing Russian bad guys, inept and untrustworthy CIA agents and Little Miss "I'll do a small cameo for a big cheque" Weaver. At times, CIA chief Alfred Molina tries his hardest to channel Tommy Lee Jones' Fugitive lawman, but doesn't quite manage to be the put-upon man of experience.

The story is a dippy mish-mash of the action-thriller genre and certainly doesn't give you any of those 'oh hell' moments that these films really need to make your heart beat fast.

Abduction is just about good enough to make sure Taylor will get another crack at leading man; just next time, maybe try a couple more topless shots, son.

Not Good

Author: bootucci from Atlanta, Georiga
12 November 2011

First off the movie starts with Nathan(Taylor Lautner) is sitting on the front of a car, going at least 80 M.P.H. The police doesn't see them, nope keep driving like you were. They go to a party, get drunk, and fall asleep on their yard, that's fine, sure. Next he has his shirt off laying there, but he's the only one.

Nathan goes to his house, his dad is happily standing there to fight him! So this goes on for at least 20 min. His mom comes out, just standing there while his father beats the crap out of him.

It goes on when he finds his name on a missing person's website. So he has to get away from the bad guys, until the people are gone.

At the end of this horrible film, everyone dies in his family, his fake mom and dad, real mom dies, and doesn't even know his real dad.

I can't wait until some of the other films this year comes out. If I were any of you I recommend you save your money for a better movie.

Awful from start to finish

Author: laurahilton1990
20 January 2012

If there was a rating on this site lower than 1/10, I'd have chosen that rating instead. Absolutely terrible. I didn't find any redeeming quality in it, Sigourney Weaver even looked like she was wincing at how terrible the whole thing was.

It was so terrible, that even if Taylor Lautner had his shirt off through the whole movie, sweat dripping off his body, his marvelous abs glistening, it still would have sucked just as much. Its like no one was even trying to make it an 'eh' movie.

Don't even illegally download this crap, so not even worth it.

It couldn't even pass as a crappy movie for young and impressionable teenage girls to swoon over.

Wow, in a bad way.

Author: mayuhito from Oklahoma
30 December 2011

Okay let me start off. I'm not a huge fan of any of the actors in this movie. Never really got into the whole Twilight think but I have no prejudice against a movie he plays in. I watched this movie because the commercials had looked interesting enough to me. But boy was I wrong. First off this movie was very high speed. To fast in fact that I could care less for anything that happened to the main character. First he finds his picture on a false lost and found site, then explosions everything blows up literally. He watches his fake parents die before his eyes,and he only shields two tears when he wakes from a dream,after that he pretty much disowns them calling them by first name and appearing emotionless. Then a character that should have died lives some how. This was just so unrealistic and bland that even the fighting couldn't save it. This seemed like an entire show was made just so you could catch sight of muscles. At the end all I could do was face palm and shake my head in disgust.

Messy, non-sense making "movie"

Author: hthbrr2 from United States
27 December 2011

Spoilers!

I wanted to watch this movie just out of sheer boredom. I thought to myself; "How bad could it be?" It was so bad that after I was done watching it my head was spinning with confusion.

The reason I was so confused was because I did not know what I had just watched. I had hoped it would be a fun movie AT LEAST; comedy, action, romance. But it was instead a mishmash of nonsense. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING made sense in this movie; the setup, the character motivations, the characters themselves, the time frame, the "plot" "twists", the ending.

So the setup is that this guy is not sure if his parents are his real parents. Is this guy stupid!? He looks NOTHING like EITHER of them! Wow! His skin is darker than them too! And what a cheap way for him to happen upon this website that shows him he was adopted. It was a class assignment! Wow!

Now to the character motivations. So these two adoptive parents spent THEIR WHOLE LIVES to kept this kid secret so that some list would not get out? They died for that? And this guy who was adopted what does he care? His fake parents are loving, and he is living a great life!

Now the characters themselves. How in the HELL can this adopted guy NOT have the CONFIDENCE to talk to this uni-browed girl? He is beyond in- shape, happy, social, on teams, etc... But he is "awkward" with the ladies? Huh? And what's so special about this girl? Also when they killed his adoptive parents how did no one come to help? This seems like a wealthy neighborhood. They have NO security!? NO ONE cares? You'd think that TWO CIA agents would invest in SOME kind of security. They raised this kid! They have had just about TWO DECADES to prepare for this. But did they? No. None of these people make sense.

Time frame: this movie, after the adoptive parents are killed, seems to take place in two days. They sleep near some river then the rest of the movie takes place in daylight. During the credits we see the guy and the girl limping off into the sunset. OK... so, they ran away to a hospital, then went to some house, then on a train - going where? It's never really explained. Then it's like noon in the stadium, they run around and suddenly a couple of HOURS have passed. Can't be more than an hour. Not much occurs as the whole thing was a chase then a small convo, so it's fast.

Now to the so called "plot" "twists." I put them in quotations since there really is no plot for this movie. Check the summary on IMDb it just DESCRIBES the first half of the movie! All that happens in this movie is that it jumps from one insane thing to another. First we think this guy is a daredevil. Next we see he is a drunk. Next we are told he can't talk to girls. Now we are led to believe he is a nice guy. Then he becomes a target for a worldwide conspiracy. He could not even defeat his adoptive father but now we must believe he can kick @$$ and take names. Earlier in the movie the girl tells the guy that she is not doing all the work for the group project. Meaning he is a stupid slacker, but we are next to believe that he is a master of mind games and ruffing it. We are to believe that he can outwit and outrun: the CIA, the police, professional hit men, and a group of hackers. Throughout the movie we are led to believe that the world is against this boy. Yet the end wraps up so nicely that you are left saying WTF!? So this ONE guy is the only corruption? Umm, what? So they just take him away at the end? No handcuffs even?

It really seems as if the writers wrote the movie AS they were shooting it. In this age of twitter, exclusives, scoops, gossip mags, leaks, and paparazzi were the creators worried that the plot might leak so they wrote it as they went!? Or were they just lazy? Because if you were to watch the movie again NONE of what happened will make sense. I would like to re-watch the movie to make sure. But the acting was so HORRIBLE that it's not even worth it!

All round terrible.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
6 October 2011

I'll admit it, I thought the trailer for this action-thriller looked pretty good and, despite it being a Taylor Lautner vehicle, was quietly excited about seeing it. Well why shouldn't I have been? It stars legendary thespians Sigourney Weaver and Alfred Molina, as well as respected actors Jason Isaacs and Maria Bello. And the close quarters combat looked appealing too. I figured it couldn't be too bad. I was wrong. Way wrong. One of the worse blockbusters to grace our cinemas in recent times, Abduction demonstrates just how poor a film can be when those involved are only there for the money. The aforementioned veteran cast are positively woeful, John Singleton's direction is stilted and lead star Lautner (you may know him as Jacob from Twilight) has a long way to go before he will make a decent headliner. With crappy special effects and a forgettable soundtrack, this is all round terrible.

Don't Even Bother Waiting For The DVD

Author: Sriram Rengachari from Singapore
29 September 2011

We've heard comparisons between Taylor Lautner and Matt Damon, which is frankly an insult to the latter.

Lautner may be a staple in the action genre in years to come but right now, the comparisons are premature. His performance is stoic at times, which is a problem that permeates through the rest of the cast. None of them except Lily Colins provide a convincing performance, which says a lot because the young actress isn't any good herself.

I won't even bother typing a synopsis here because you probably won't understand the film even after the end credits start rolling. The storyline is all over the place. The directing is terrible. The camera angles confuse you on many occasions.

The movie is riddled with scenes and sequences that seem to be ripped off other well known films like Death Proof, Disturbia and maybe even the Bourne series.

I felt like the movie came across unintentionally as a satire but I assure you the movie is a serious action flick that just fails to be... serious.

I really don't know what else to say apart from "this movie sucks!"

Yes, I used a cliché line to review a movie. But Abduction doesn't merit any further analysis. How it even got shown on the big screen is beyond me.

Awful... Abysmal... so bad it was funny

Author: crazybilby from Australia
30 September 2011

I couldn't help but laugh at how poorly done this film was. Taylor Lautner, aka one of the worst actors of our time has really tried not at all to change that reputation...

He has managed to take his stilted, generic, or just downright awful dialogue and deliver just as you'd expect: bland, uninteresting, and pretty unemotional (his face is wet with tears, but his voice says "what do you mean I'm meant to change inflection and tone?") His performance unfortunately doesn't stand out from the veteran actors around him seem to be amiss as to how to turn around their dialogue and lack of character depth into something salvageable.

There's no amazing twists or turns, no big surprises. The plot goes along just as you'd expect it, unless you were expecting imagination. I kept laughing at Lautner's bad delivery, at the obvious clichés or stupid plot devices. It gives its twists away quite deliberately leaving nothing for the end but a poor attempt at a tear jerking introduction of Nathan's father. Some things don't even make sense, like how Nathan keeps travelling - as he's on the run, he obviously is going to try and get out of the city right? - but he can conveniently call his best friend to come meet up with him somewhere to give him things (this happens more than once in less than 24 hours. Where did he run to? Down the street?) Thank goodness the CIA didn't think to tap his friend's phone!

The entire movie seems to reek of an uninspired first draft.