IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 17: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Very good teen action movie

Author: Johnny_Hing from United States
20 September 2012

I am really astounded at how many people are trashing this movie. Most of it appears to be based on Taylor Lautner and his "shirtless" persona from the Twilight films. Despite being a prolific movie-watcher, I have not as yet watched any of the Twilight films, for whatever reason. Perhaps this is a good thing, as I had no preconceived notions of Lautner going in, and had no expectations one way or another.

The drunken party scene was well-executed, and served a purpose in developing his character, being that his Dad challenged him to a fight (with gloves) when he got home, apparently to teach him never to let his guard down. Whatever people want to say about his acting (and I thought it was decent), he is a skilled martial artist in real life. Thus, the fight scenes were realistic, and we didn't have to suffer through a shaky camera trying to disguise an actor's athletic shortcomings, as is the case in many action movies out there. The casting was good (so refreshing to see a real teen play a teen). The cinematography is excellent. The final 20 minutes or so, set in and around PNC Park in Pittsburg, was a visual treat. Amid the action and drama, we actually get to see a few pitches thrown, and even a home-run over the center field fence. The film had a denouement, and didn't leave you muttering to yourself "What the heck just happened?" The movie had a few flaws, but those have been beaten to death and are exaggerated beyond recognition. No, this isn't Die Hard, nor does it try to be. (Even if it had tried, no doubt people would be screaming "Die Hard ripoff!") It is a good, solid teen action movie with Phil Collins' lovely daughter Lily as the co-star. Personally, I recommend it, for whatever that's worth. (Nothing, I know.) Seriously, this does not deserve the vicious thrashing that many reviewers are meting out. Is it blockbuster material? No, certainly not. Is it worth the price of a DVD rental? Yes, indeed.

Better than expected

Author: barger-jm from United States
3 April 2012

Our family of 4, two adults, two teens, were thoroughly entertained. A good action movie and the actors were well above average. Have seen Bourne films. Have seen Mission Impossible films. This one held its own. After the movie, our family commented that the movie deserved a sequel--and we hope they do one.

If they make another film, they might do a better job with the timing of the love/affection scenes. Also, the father-son relationship needs to be a bit more realistic. These aspects of the film was not well developed.

Those who are looking for a good action film with an entertaining story line and appealing characters should see this film and also hope they make another.

A very good action movie!

Author: MovieGuy01 from United Kingdom
8 March 2012

I really enjoyed watching Abduction. I found it to have a very good storyline, i particularity thought that Taylor Lautner (Nathan) and Lily Collins (Karen) acting was great. One day Nathan & Karen are over at Nathan's parents home and Karen happens to come across a website which has lots of photos of children who are missing or may have somehow been abducted. all of a sudden Karen is sat at the computer and she manages to age one of the photos on the website. Suddenly the photo turns out to be one of Nathan when he was just a child. Nathan becomes really confused and wants to know exactly what is going on because his mother will not tell him. He then start to think that he may have been abducted, and that his parents are not really his real ones. The movie really kept me interested all the way through. The storyline was very gripping and kept me on the edge of my seat almost the whole length of the movie. I would really recommend people to see this movie as it has a lot of great action happening in it.

In recent films like these, its better if you weren't know for Twilight

Author: John Maynes from United States
1 October 2011

Notice how i didn't score this review?

Thats cause its not worth the score.

Not to mention its receive the same bashing as the latest Johnny Depp movie, remember that? The Tourist, yeah its that movie but watching an amateur version of the Bourne Identity

Yes i am bashing the film on my return to IMDb.com

I appreciate all the emails i've received asking where've i've gone, I've been busy pretty lately thanks for your concern but lets get started.

I could've at least picked a better film to make a huge comeback but, as always i'm dragged into these situations.

Its starts off as usually, mind numbingly slow, then the dialog...gets pretty in laughable?

Since when did chase movies become laughable, well apparently even the writer had something but failed, you know the story was so bad he should marry Stephanie Meyers, at least we all know there's another person out there to match up to her dumb ideas,plus with a cheap 10 cents worth of an hunk head, Taylor Launter, Uh you know the film's gonna suck if you see his name or face on the poster of any movie even if it turns out to be good he's gonna be up for a razzie big time!.

Taylor..you're better off doing twilight, not even getting big can put you out there as a star, lets face it, you know how most models show up in movies, thats because of their good looks, how do you think Launter's famous? he can't act, he can't even make serious.

I doubt this'll up as a dating movie, even the women in our little get together said this was utterly ridiculous.

Its like watching an old Michael Bay film when he didn't care about acting, story and direction, he just wanted to make the experience good and to make a fool out of you for your cold hard cash.

Another fact, even Michael Bay would've made this better, and that i do mean that in a good way, he did a rather good job with Transformers;Dark of the moon.

OK to make it quick.

Just skip to right here!

Story- Retarded

Direction- as bright as uwe boll, and as stupid as an old copy cat of michael bay.

Acting- The funniest part of the movie, sorry Weaver someday you"ll get redemption.

Overall- Its one of the worst action movies since the Green Hornet, cause it was suppose to be an action movie...not a comedy

Quite good - ignore the bad reviews

Author: phd_travel from United States
8 April 2012

I don't understand the bad reviews. For what it is, I thought this was quite an exciting, well paced action movie that isn't needlessly violent. The various action sequences and fight scenes were quite well done and not deja vu.

Taylor Lautner's acting has been blasted in the past but here the movie doesn't rely too much on great acting so it's okay. Lily Collins is very pretty and has star quality - expect to see lots more of her in the next years. The adults are all quite A list even if they don't have huge parts. Sigourney Weaver, Alfred Molina Maria Bello and Jason Isaacs add stature to the movie.

Overall quite good entertainment - worth a watch.

Excellent

Author: lindstromsl
23 January 2012

This movie kept me on the edge of my seat. I've watched it numerous times and each time it get's better. This young man Taylor Lautner is well spoken, clean cut, polite and a cute pie,no I'm not a dirty old lady but Taylor Lautner has grown immensely since the 1st twilight. His acting range is show in this movie. Good Luck to him! P.S. Lilly Collins is a Doll Baby The plot is great, kept me guessing the whole time. Was more than action packed and to me Lautner and Collins have fantastic chemistry. Lautner has matured and it really showed to me in this movie. I have watched it on Xfinity and will definitely go purchase the DVD as soon as I can. I give this film an excellent review, and have already recommended it to my friends on face book.

Huh???

Author: jackarute from Austin, TX
28 September 2011

Those dumbfounded by the 3.6 dumbfound me. How they got an A-list supporting cast and director for this turd of a movie also dumbfounds me. One the reviews(maybe more) mentioned how it was just attempt to cash in on the whole Twilight/Lautner phenomena. That seems to be the best/only explanation that has any merit. It should be clear to anyone that Taylor Lautner cannot act. To put it nicely, you could say he has a very limited range, but within that range no dialogue is spoken. It's a couple of facial expressions and a pose. Putting Taylor aside, the movie is listless and meandering. I didn't ever get drawn into the story or develop any attachment to the characters, good or bad. So I will assign some blame to the screen writing. Really it would take much too long to write a professional critique, but I think to say this is not a good movie (even on a rainy day) will suffice. I suppose I will just be labeled as a hater, but I at least wanted to do my part in offsetting any inflation in the ranking due to some ass clown giving this movie a 10. That's not to say my rating is artificial. In my opinion this movie is awful, but normally I would not take the time to review a 1.

What's with all the bad reviews?!

Author: maddyonamission from los angeles, ca
19 January 2012

I'm confused. Why is everyone comparing this to Bourne identity? Completely different in my opinion. But on its own, this movie was great! I was glued the whole time. I don't see why all the low stars..I think people just jump on the bandwagon of bad reviews when they see a majority hating on a movie. Or maybe they just love to hate any movie with a twilight star in it's. But whatever the reason, this movie was not as bad as they make it sound. Sure you can sit and dissect this movie for flaws, any movie for that matter, but what ever happened to just watching an entertaining movie for a good time?! Fun lil action flick. Exciting. And if you're looking for an entertaining movie during a random night, this is a good choice! I'm no teenie- bopper, but it doesn't hurt that Taylor lautner is an 8-pack ab hotttttie! Lol enjoy!

Quality action film

Author: drla62 from United Kingdom
8 October 2011

I thought this was an excellent film overall: well acted, well chosen cast, good story-line and a good balance of action and drama.

I found the story-line was intriguing from early into the film and the actors felt convincing in their roles.

There are some moments where the film lacks a little credibility, but not so much as to ruin the film in anyway.

I believe there will be many more opportunities for Lautner to follow up with similar, action-type roles. In my view his acting was generally really plausible - at times brilliant!

I would definitely recommend watching it.

Worst Movie of the Year

Author: Eduardo Martinez from Mexico
2 October 2011

The plot of this movie is the undeniable result of a group of not very bright an absolutely lazy writers, producers and director. The shots are completely corny and clichéd, just awful. Although the story is horribly dull and unoriginal, the acting was by far the worst thing of it all. This kid just can't act, thats it. Please go back to acting school or quit, for all our sakes.The other kids in the movie were just as awful. I do not understand how Alfred Molina agreed to do this movie. I mean he is not the best out there but at least he has something to offer, he is alright. But this Taylor Lautner kid is just the worst. It just goes to show that all you have to do is go to the gym a little, have Justin Beiber-like fans and you will get your lead in a movie, no matter how undeniably awful you are at your "craft".