IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Brainless and Lame Story, Poor Lead Actor

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
9 November 2012

The teenager Nathan (Taylor Lautner) feels outcast at home; has nightmares; and is shy. His father practices self-defense with him; he has consultations with the psychologist Dr. Bennett (Sigourney Weaver); and he has a crush on his classmate and next door neighbor Karen (Lily Collins).

When he finds a website with photos of missing children with Karen, he suspects that he might have been adopted. He also contacts the site and the attendant locates him and calls Nikola Kozlow (Michael Nyqvist) in Europe and the guy travels with his gang to USA. Soon his mother discloses that she is his foster mother but his parents are murdered by two criminals. Before dying, her father asks him to run away. He takes Karen to the hospital and Dr. Bennett tells him that he is in danger and gives an address in Pittsburgh to him with the names of two persons that he can trust on. Now Nathan and Karen are hunted down by Kozlow and his men and also by the CIA. The teenagers do not know who is reliable and travels to the address Dr. Bennett gave to them.

"Abduction" is a thriller that wannabe another Bourne Identity-like movie. However, the brainless and lame story has many flaws and despite the cast with Sigourney Weaver, Michael Nyqvist, Maria Bello and Alfred Molina, the lead actor Taylor Lautner is a reasonable and unconvincing athlete and ruins any chance that this flick might have had. Lily Collins is gorgeous and nothing else. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Sem Saída" ("No Way Out")

Before you criticize, let's see you do better! Well worth watching.

Author: David Holt (rawiri42) from Australia
25 June 2012

I wasn't going to write a review for Abduction - mainly because I didn't feel there was anything much to say. For me, the movie was fun and worth watching. But it wasn't exceptional (either way)! I should mention here that I always score the movies in my collection BEFORE looking at the IMDb average and I must admit that Abduction did leave me a little unsure of what to give it. However, my ultimate criterion for the score I give is always primarily based on how I felt right after watching a film rather than on a critical and clinical analysis of such "nut-and- bolts" as the quality of the acting, direction, lighting, special effects and so on. So, with that in mind, I gave Abduction 7.1 - and only then did I look at the IMDb rating of 4.6 and that, in turn, led me to look at the reviews already posted because I considered it to be overly harsh.

Well, people, I can only assume that all of you who have slammed this film for poor direction, poor acting and just about poor everything else are all Oscar-winning directors, producers or actors yourselves! It is clearly obvious that you could have taken the original plot and written a better screenplay and then directed it with young lead actors and won another Oscar! Come on!!

In particular, Jason Lautner is frequently vilified as being weak, ineffectual and lots of other negative things. However, I would like to suggest that he played the part AS SCRIPTED extremely well. He as SUPPOSED to be a timid, teenager! People have compared him to Bond, Bourne and goodness-knows what other adult male super-hero action figures. Why? He is a kid (albeit a handsome one with a nice body) who's dad - unbeknown to him at the time - is trying to prepare him for what will (possibly) happen later in his life because he knows who Nathan (Lautner) really is. It reminded me of Johnny Cash's "Boy name Sue"!

Anyway, Dad (who, as we very soon learn, is not actually his real dad) very soon turns out to be correct in his fears for the young Nathan when the bad guys arrive and kill him and his wife. (I REALLY loved the way she handled herself in her final minutes! WOW!! What a capable woman! That was most entertaining.)

Without wanting to spoil the story, we soon learn that there is no certainty at the outset as to who are actually the good guys and who are not (and that's probably the main theme of the mystery). Of course, we then have the insertion into the plot of Nathan's long-fancied but too- shy-to-act-on classmate girl (remember, this IS a movie and there needs to be a romantic element). Suffice to say that (step-)dad's training soon manifests itself in young Nathan when he is virtually forced to defend himself (and his girl) against ruthless antagonists and, considering his inexperience, he doesn't do too bad a job. But then I suppose all the 'knockers' who have vilified Lautner for "cheesy" acting forgot about that! He actually comes across very well as a young guy forced to fight for his life with no notice and I think he did so very well.

No, Abduction is not a block-buster - but it IS an attention-grabbing adventure that does what it sets out to do - entertain. So, if you happen to be reading this before deciding to watch Abduction, please ignore all the 'knockers' who, as I have said, would probably do a lot worse themselves (be it acting, directing, or writing!). Don't expect the best action movie of the year but just sit back and be entertained. By the way, I am NOT a teenager. Actually, I'm retired!

I never watched Twilight and never intend to

Author: dwatson12255 from United States
29 December 2012

Don't know what all the long winded hubbub is all about. I really like this movie and the entire premise. There was plenty of action and the acting was not that bad. The movie really began to hold my interest when the kid discovers that his parents are not his real parents. and confronts his mother. When soccer mom starts kicking butt I knew it was on! I know of the Twilight series but have never watched it and don't intend to. I did sell a unopened Twilight Scene it DVD game on eBay but that's as close as I have ever got to the series so I have no idea what the other reviewers are talking about. Forget all the Twilight comparisons this movie was fun to watch period.

A 'watchable' movie!

Author: M Smith from United States
26 September 2011

**Small spoilers**

Why are there so very many BAD reviews?? Is this movie truly so very bad or do we simply have a bunch of Twilight haters amongst us? I hope there will be a time when we all can grow up and get over ourselves and jump off the 'lets bash all things Twilight' wagon and start reviewing one movie at the time because its simply unfair to incorporate ones own bias into whatever report we share on the www. Let's start over and assume…Lautner to be a brand new actor with no association to vampires or werewolves and a small town in the beautiful state of WA. Suddenly we can see Abduction for what it is. An action thriller with a heavy dose of martial arts, cunning stunts and an unfortunately overused 'sexation' of a young man who admittedly acts rather clumsy with his love interest and has a few unnecessary kissing scenes which were in part also placed rather poorly by the director. Overall however Abduction is a good 'watchable' film which reminded me a bit of Bourne Identity and Wanted with the misfortune of having been aimed at a (female) teenage audience. And so we grown-ups have to put up with the unnecessary swipe of the strand of hair in the woods which he does for no reason at all and the odd statement of, "hey, I'm hungry!" just as things were heating up in the get-away train. All of the 'Oh so' dissatisfied adults here who claim they want their time and money back, let me ask you seriously, what did you expect from this movie? Maybe watching a preview had been a good choice here. Abduction did not promise anything it didn't deliver, so quit bashing a very talented and likable young man and don't blame the teen flick for being a teen flick!

Enjoyable film for what it is

Author: kwdzr3 from United States
5 June 2013

I'll start off by saying that this is my first review for a movie, and that I actually created an account on this website just to comment on it. Was the movie so amazingly mind-blowing that I needed to tell the world about it? No, but most of the reviews are very misleading and all of the hate coming down on Lautner is just ridiculous. All the reviews about how the movie is just about his abs, its ABSolutely about taylor lautner etc. are obviously coming from a bunch of fatties because guess what, LAUTNER Doesn't TAKE HIS SHIRT OFF AT ANY POINT DURING THE WHOLE F*** MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!! OK there is 1 scene like 5 minutes in where he wakes up completely smashed from the night before with just his pants on, but that's it. He got super drunk and lost his shirt, then he's in a scene for 10 seconds helping clean up the party with no shirt on. Big f*** deal, get of the couch you fatasses! What about the scene where he crawls out of the freezing river with the hot girl and they're both soaking wet shivering, that would've been a perfect opportunity to lose the clothes and prounce around in his underwear if he really wanted to, but no they just go to sleep in their wet clothes (lol). I couldn't believe people are making MULTIPLE hater reviews about how the movie solely focuses on his abs... ridiculous.

As for the movie itself, I think it was a very enjoyable action flic and it was very believable at times (Lautner actually hurts his hand punching someone's face, actually hurts his leg coming down off a big jump -- something you'd never see tommmy cruzcruz admit to), the acting was very solid in my opinion from lead and support, and it was simply realistic FOR THE MOST PART. No crazy scenes where there's a 1 handed head shot from 50 yds away while flying through the air or getting rushed by 40 bad guys yet they all decide to attack you one at a time. Once scene I didn't like was when a good guy is creeping up on a bad guy and they both have guns, the good guy gets the jump on him but instead of shooting he decides to do a flying tackle... what? Oh well, I guess he just needed to die for the plot.

The story was jumpy at times, kind of skipped around a bit and Lautner makes some stupid tactical decisions at times but looking back I'd say it's to be expected as a kid being thrown into a crazy situation like that. I very much enjoyed the fact that I EXPECTED it to be stupid over the top action combined with Lautner butchering every scene with desperation for attention, but instead it was pretty solid, realistic action.

I only have 2 negative remarks - Lautner needs to work on some different facial expressions, and the story could've used a bit more twists or emotion or something; I felt like it should've been a bit more suspenseful and gut-clenching considering the storyline. OK, so maybe that is a result of bad acting. So Lautner needs to work on his emotional delivery. At least he kept his shirt on.

In reality more like a 6/10, but it gets an 8 because I expected it to be a 4 and most people gave it a 2.

'Abduction' ...not bad & pretty much what you would expect

Author: skyme from United States
17 February 2012

Watched this last night, and it was mostly what I expected. After a wonky beginning, it's generally a popcorn, action/date movie that's not exactly high-art. The film is not the worst thing you've ever seen - it's really just an escape, with a good production, and that's it.

Zillions of reviews say Lautner was horrible. Huh? I really think people are just jealous. He was fine and didn't overact - he was sincere, fit the role & there is little reason to be upset.

These reviews lacerating Lautner were like people destroying Paris Hilton from "House of Wax," when in actuality, she was honestly alright in that. Not a big deal. Granted, I don't have strong feelings about either performer.

With a strong budget of $30M, the film looked confident and solid by John Singleton, the film is a fairly easy watch as it goes along, & the supporting cast of admired actors (Weaver, Molina, Bello) were fine.

Singleton isn't too flashy, and might just be cashing a check... but one thing he would do is make sure that the actors would have their moments, instead of too many quick cutaways.

The story is kind of fun in the moment, but, sure it's silly when you think about it afterwards. But, mehh. It was fun. Nothing is horrendous about 'Abduction.' I saw two of the Twilight films and thought they were easy to watch as well & not really a big deal. And Lautner's disposition is somewhat similar in Abduction as he was in Twilight. I think that's alright & he fit the roles fine.

If I were to complain about anything is that ½ of the fighting looked good, but ½ wasn't that great. Secondly, the dialog was usually fine, but it could get so dull/ cliché I felt sorry for the actors.

Thirdly, the ending climax with the villain was just straight-forward; you really see it coming. It's not clever at all & it felt very '80s. Fourthly, some of the chasing sequences were good, but sometimes they could lack blood-pumping momentum. Despite the complaints, the film is still a fun adventure.

I'd read so many bad reviews of this film...that maybe my expectations were low. But honestly, the film was fine and kinda fun. Just an escape.

Why Do People Hate This Movie So Much..??

Author: Allen Williams (thegimppimp2010@hotmail.com) from United States
20 March 2012

This film is a prime example to why certain actors are very underrated in Hollywood....I call it "The Luke Skywalker Syndrome"....One hit franchise that wrecks a young actor's career before it can really get started....

The Twilight franchise....Although successful....Isn't a franchise that is critically acclaimed or well liked by fans other than young people with out-of-control hormones....And because of this...Films like Abduction is either overlooked or totally panned by fans...

Sitting down to watch this film with Twilight in mind is going to ensure that viewers will NOT have a good time....Which is why wonderful movies like "Welcome To The Rileys" and "The Runaways" both starring Kristen Stewart didn't get nearly enough attention....

Now is this particular film original..??...No, it's not....I have seen the "My picture on the milk carton" routine used more than once....But is Abduction a fun movie..??...Yes it is...

Abduction is a popcorn movie....It's meant to simply allow the audience to have a good time....If people go into this movie expecting Oscar-like performances and a beautifully written storyline...Then those people are setting themselves up for a big let down...

But why put yourself through that when all that needs to be done is to simply sit back and enjoy the ride....And that's all there is too it...

Awful from start to finish

Author: laurahilton1990
20 January 2012

If there was a rating on this site lower than 1/10, I'd have chosen that rating instead. Absolutely terrible. I didn't find any redeeming quality in it, Sigourney Weaver even looked like she was wincing at how terrible the whole thing was.

It was so terrible, that even if Taylor Lautner had his shirt off through the whole movie, sweat dripping off his body, his marvelous abs glistening, it still would have sucked just as much. Its like no one was even trying to make it an 'eh' movie.

Don't even illegally download this crap, so not even worth it.

It couldn't even pass as a crappy movie for young and impressionable teenage girls to swoon over.

Wow, in a bad way.

Author: mayuhito from Oklahoma
30 December 2011

Okay let me start off. I'm not a huge fan of any of the actors in this movie. Never really got into the whole Twilight think but I have no prejudice against a movie he plays in. I watched this movie because the commercials had looked interesting enough to me. But boy was I wrong. First off this movie was very high speed. To fast in fact that I could care less for anything that happened to the main character. First he finds his picture on a false lost and found site, then explosions everything blows up literally. He watches his fake parents die before his eyes,and he only shields two tears when he wakes from a dream,after that he pretty much disowns them calling them by first name and appearing emotionless. Then a character that should have died lives some how. This was just so unrealistic and bland that even the fighting couldn't save it. This seemed like an entire show was made just so you could catch sight of muscles. At the end all I could do was face palm and shake my head in disgust.

Messy, non-sense making "movie"

Author: hthbrr2 from United States
27 December 2011

Spoilers!

I wanted to watch this movie just out of sheer boredom. I thought to myself; "How bad could it be?" It was so bad that after I was done watching it my head was spinning with confusion.

The reason I was so confused was because I did not know what I had just watched. I had hoped it would be a fun movie AT LEAST; comedy, action, romance. But it was instead a mishmash of nonsense. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING made sense in this movie; the setup, the character motivations, the characters themselves, the time frame, the "plot" "twists", the ending.

So the setup is that this guy is not sure if his parents are his real parents. Is this guy stupid!? He looks NOTHING like EITHER of them! Wow! His skin is darker than them too! And what a cheap way for him to happen upon this website that shows him he was adopted. It was a class assignment! Wow!

Now to the character motivations. So these two adoptive parents spent THEIR WHOLE LIVES to kept this kid secret so that some list would not get out? They died for that? And this guy who was adopted what does he care? His fake parents are loving, and he is living a great life!

Now the characters themselves. How in the HELL can this adopted guy NOT have the CONFIDENCE to talk to this uni-browed girl? He is beyond in- shape, happy, social, on teams, etc... But he is "awkward" with the ladies? Huh? And what's so special about this girl? Also when they killed his adoptive parents how did no one come to help? This seems like a wealthy neighborhood. They have NO security!? NO ONE cares? You'd think that TWO CIA agents would invest in SOME kind of security. They raised this kid! They have had just about TWO DECADES to prepare for this. But did they? No. None of these people make sense.

Time frame: this movie, after the adoptive parents are killed, seems to take place in two days. They sleep near some river then the rest of the movie takes place in daylight. During the credits we see the guy and the girl limping off into the sunset. OK... so, they ran away to a hospital, then went to some house, then on a train - going where? It's never really explained. Then it's like noon in the stadium, they run around and suddenly a couple of HOURS have passed. Can't be more than an hour. Not much occurs as the whole thing was a chase then a small convo, so it's fast.

Now to the so called "plot" "twists." I put them in quotations since there really is no plot for this movie. Check the summary on IMDb it just DESCRIBES the first half of the movie! All that happens in this movie is that it jumps from one insane thing to another. First we think this guy is a daredevil. Next we see he is a drunk. Next we are told he can't talk to girls. Now we are led to believe he is a nice guy. Then he becomes a target for a worldwide conspiracy. He could not even defeat his adoptive father but now we must believe he can kick @$$ and take names. Earlier in the movie the girl tells the guy that she is not doing all the work for the group project. Meaning he is a stupid slacker, but we are next to believe that he is a master of mind games and ruffing it. We are to believe that he can outwit and outrun: the CIA, the police, professional hit men, and a group of hackers. Throughout the movie we are led to believe that the world is against this boy. Yet the end wraps up so nicely that you are left saying WTF!? So this ONE guy is the only corruption? Umm, what? So they just take him away at the end? No handcuffs even?

It really seems as if the writers wrote the movie AS they were shooting it. In this age of twitter, exclusives, scoops, gossip mags, leaks, and paparazzi were the creators worried that the plot might leak so they wrote it as they went!? Or were they just lazy? Because if you were to watch the movie again NONE of what happened will make sense. I would like to re-watch the movie to make sure. But the acting was so HORRIBLE that it's not even worth it!

Page 2 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]