IMDb > "Hawaii Five-0" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hawaii Five-0"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Hawaii Five-0" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Disappointing remake of a great show

Author: brightonexpdavid from United States
14 October 2010

I may be biased towards the original Hawaii Five-0 but I cannot see why this remake should be made this way - - lack of guts, grit and plain old fashioned police work. Alex O'Loughlin cannot hold a candle to Jack Lord because Jack Lord played Steve McGarrett to the hilt - - determined, dedicated, tough as nails but at the same time having a soft spot on what matters the most - - his organization. When we see Jack Lord slam his fist on the desk he sat there for 12 years after a major lead to solving a crime is lost, we see guts. When Jack Lord breaks down the truth to a crime suspect, we see guts. When Jack Lord tells a witness the urgency of solving this crimes, we see guts. However, when Alex O'Loughlin talks, we don't see the same emotion as when Jack Lord played, we don't see guts. Some of the scenes, such as Alex telling a suspect about how he knows where their family is and threatens deportation (in the pilot episode), is lifted from Jack Bauer of 24 - - only Bauer does it 1,000 times better.

In the original, most of the story is dedicated to how the Five-O team solves the crime and captures their man (or woman). In the remake, everything has to be either humor or an explosion. I don't know if I was watching a comedy or a real, gritty crime drama with this remake. Not much is revealed about Jack Lord in the original, we knew about his sister in the two parter "Once Upon a Time" and his background as a Navy officer. In the remake, we know more about Danny Williams ex-wife than the crime story itself - - there is no real investigation - - just come to a place, shoot or capture some people, crack a few jokes and move on to the next place.

I am not expecting a Wo Fat storyline over 12 years or the cold war subtext - - we have to update the show to conform to contemporary tastes. But the key elements on what made H5O on of the best cop shows ever - - guts, gritty police work, intelligence over action, and a small touch of the human side - - are either missing or overused. It's remakes like H5O which pale in comparison - - watch the original and you will see why.

Exotic locales can't save this turkey

Author: graduatedan from Canada
10 August 2011

It would be unfair to compare this latest incarnation of Hawaii 5 O to the original as this is, apparently, a "re imagining " of the sixties classic. Presumably that means that, locations and characters notwithstanding, this show is trying to be something the original was not. I agree with that, because, while the Jack Lord classic was never less than entertaining, this show is anything but. For example, the plots are repetitive and the dialogue is laughably bad. To be fair, that could be said of any number of crime dramas on television today, but what makes Hawaii 5 O an especially gruelling viewing experience is the acting, which ranges from indifferent to just plain bad. The writers and, by extension the actors, have made the characters unlikeable. To me, that's the kiss of death for any series.If you can't invest in the characters, what's the point of watching? What's really surprising is that this show comes from the normally reliable producers of "Lost" and "Fringe", two shows that tower above this junk. White silver sands and palm trees swaying in the breeze can't save this very poor show.

Abysmal !!

Author: Hoohawnaynay (DA90027@aol.com) from United States
21 September 2010

Every cliché in town (or should I say island) was in this. Actors all lacked charisma which is what made the original so good. Sadly there are also no great roster of TV Character actors which the original used liberally.

I'm really sick of the shaky camera to make things look like more is happening than what really is. Even the opening credits were cut in half timewise. I lost interest after 20 minutes.

I was hoping for a better show, better acting and more charm but this is what passes for entertainment these days folks. I'll stick to the DVD's of the original.

Just because your call it Hawaii Five-O doesn't make it so

Author: scouterrob from Canada
21 September 2010

The lack of originality in Hollywood is fast becoming apparent in the 2010 television season. It was one thing to re-boot Battlestar Galactica, but in this day and age of numerous police dramas there was no need to re-boot Hawaii Five-O. The lead actor playing Steve McGarret is too driven and full of angst and comes off as more of a vigilante than an officer of the law. Dano seems more of a comedic relief and Daniel Dae Kim seems under utilized. As much as I like Grace Park for her looks, she'll always be Boomer/Athena to me and her end of episode quote of "We need a name for our team" is juvenile and out of place and so is her character for that matter.

If we're to believe the writers, Hawaii Five-O is to be an elite, outside the chain of command, police strike unit, and here they are with a female rookie who hasn't even graduated from the academy a member of their team. I don't buy it. Give me Vic Mackey and his strike team any day of the week. At least they were believable. Far too much gun play and not enough meaningful character development.

Hawaii Five-A

Author: schappe1 from N Syracuse NY
21 September 2010

Firstly, I'll identify myself, as every reviewer should: I'm a 56 year-old who was a fan of the old show. So I'm n going to inevitably view the new show from that perspective. If I were a 20 year old who didn't know there was an old show, I'm sure my perspective would be quite different.

The producer called this an "homage" to the old show in TV Guide. And yet his premise is that the old show never happened. Hawaii-Five-0 was not created when Hawaii became the 50th state. It's now being created on the 50th anniversary of it's becoming a state. McGarrett is a naval commander with a background in intelligence as before and he reports directly to the governor. But as he's perhaps 30 in this one, he was born about the time the old show ended. Danny Williams is a Jersey cop who relocated to the islands to be near his daughter and argue with his ex-wife. Chin Ho Kelly is a 30ish ex-cop who left the force when accused of taking a bribe. And Kono is a bikinied surfer babe.

Five-0 is not a highly respected wing of the state government. It's a sort of vigilante organization of misfits who operate outside the law. The governor authorized it's creation "with full immunity" to deal with the crisis, (if that's what it was) that resulted in the murder of the new McGarrett's father. Yet it's going to be a permanent organization. What will be it's assignment? The old Five-0 was a sort of "major case squad" that worked on cases involving general emergencies, battled spies and dealt with things that represented PR problems for the island's tourist trade. They worked on an even basis with military, the FBI, the CIA, etc. and well as the Honolulu Police Department, (HPD). They had the full respect of those organizations who knew that if you were operating in Hawaii, it was McGarrett's turf. It's hard to view the new group in the same light. The men are grimy-looking commando-types and the woman's job seems to be to appear in a bikini or her underwear and deliver a few karate kicks. The governor, who was clearly held in high esteem by McGarrett in the original, is here a political and bureaucratic antagonist, not to be fully trusted. This far more resembles the "A" Team than the Hawaii Five-0 I remember.

The old program was beautifully produced, photographed and edited. There was heavy emphasis on suspense and character development. There were occasional chases and action scenes but the shows were mostly conversation, with the good guys methodically closing in on the bad guys, setting up an exciting ending. The new show is like a modern action film. It's got to keep moving from one action scene to another with 2-3 lines of dialog devoted to fleshing out character a bit, usually when they are driving to the next battle scene. The editing is jumpy and kinetic. It's reasonably exciting and sexy but it's not Hawaii Five-0.

Going in, I could not see why they didn't just present stories of who's running Five-0 now, with a picture of McGarrett on the wall. Give us new characters with new names. After seeing it, I think they should have called the whole show something else, because that's what it is.

They should have quit while they were ahead.

Author: clintstevens from USA
25 July 2017

I was a big fan of this show...honest. But season 7 is unbearable. They have beat to death the same formula; Five-0 searches for a bad guy, they save the victims, the bad guy gets away to return another day. Throw in constant 'aloha' get-together parties with the cast, and constant bickering between McGarrett and Danno (which has expanded to include other Five-0 members, as well as bad guys), and I plead, Season 8? NO MORE, PLEASE!

Good show

Author: christofferl-80380
20 April 2017

best show in my life just got done with season 6! very good ! i like ! I love all the characters and story lines, i love the fact that its not just a regular cop show with a new case every episode, but instead they are sometimes two cases or story lines parallel at the same time and they always keep you interested in the main story about Steve McGarret and all the other characters.

Best Show Ever

Author: oscilatorz from Greece
11 March 2017

Hawaii five-o is the best I've seen by far. loved it. the action and the story are perfect made so do the characters. the fact they work with some criminals sometimes makes the series interesting. sadly I finished every single season and now I have to wait till more episodes get released. I 100% suggest you to watch it you gonna love it.

Hawaii Five - O

Author: bdmccurdy from Canada
25 February 2017

Hello

Just finished watching watching S07E18 and I can't help but wonder if McGarrett's name should be changed to MacGyver. This show used to be pretty decent, but now McGarrett can fix everything that comes his way. Waiting for the paper clip.

And this Danny guy absolutely complaining about everything is getting,boring, obnoxious and ridiculous.

Just my opinion

The last two episodes are nothing but...

Author: mauifortuna
24 November 2016

I know Five O's rating is dwindling but do they have to reach out to pedophiles, child molesters, et.al.? Take episode 7 for example. Are they trying to sexualized Grace? I mean in that entire episode, all scenes of her are about butt shots and crotch shots. C'mon, she's just freakin' 14 in the storyline. Episode 8 is no different either. This time Grover thought his son how to have teenage sex. Guess who is the girl subject. Grace.

And please writers, if you are going to make stupid plot make it looks like it was written intelligently. If you are going to use another country as a 'character' do your research. You have a lot of viewers from the Philippines. 1) There is no death penalty in the Philippines. 2) Philippine attache doesn't have accent thicker than the American cast. This episode also reek of discrimination and racism IMHO. What does McGarrett meant when Grover said that most government doesn't give in to terrorists demands and his reply us, 'not this one'. Was he implying that the Philippines gives in? Was that the reason Grover was so adamant that the attache tells the Philippine president to negotiate just because his son was held hostage? Why does the target of the kidnapping has to be a junkie?

Now lets talk about the WTF scenes. 1) WTF does the conniving bodyguard has to bring the boy to the event so that the terrorists could kidnap him. They could just intercept them on the way and it will be a lot easier. I guess that's an intelligent plot. I forgot. 2) So Grover went to the hall and somehow missed the hostage notice on the electronic board? How convenience. Speaking of missed, how could the bodyguard missed hitting Grover by a mile? 3) Grover was so concern about the safety of his son that in the end he allowed him to be in harms way just so that they can have eyes on what's going on? Nice parenting and did I mentioned that he thought him how to knock up a girl earlier? 4) What was that McGarrett-looking-for-Grace scene at the end of the ordeal? What's that? To make up for all the foul ups in the prior scenes? Did he forget that Grace was with Danny, his father?

I could still have written more but I think this suffice for the time being.