IMDb > "Hawaii Five-0" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hawaii Five-0"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Hawaii Five-0" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Exciting television with a fair bit of eye candy

Author: HelenMary from London, UK
7 February 2013

Love this show! I was a fan of Alex O'Loughlin in Moonlight (guilty pleasure), and he's just delicious in this; cool, calm and collected, fast, good with a gun and awesome looking in uniform. Add to that, brilliant other characters in this Hawaii-50 remake including the iconic Danno (Scott Caan) and also lovely and determined Chin Ho Kelly (Daniel Dae Kim) and gorgeous and kick-ass Kono (Grace Park). Each episode is part of a larger story arc but is an exciting and gripping adventure or case, where the bad guys are brought down, they often go undercover and use technology, contacts, and a few good smack downs to get what they need done. The scripts aren't always A1 but the dialogue is sufficient and often funny, but without the over-cheesy CSI lines that make you want to throw things at the TV, and it's not predictable or overly stylised with set pieces. There's also great stunts and car chases, it's exciting television that isn't mindless or pointless. It's also nice because despite the violence, it's not gratuitous in other ways and is good (older) family entertainment set in beautiful Hawaii with gorgeous vistas and scenery, beaches and surfing; pretty good advertising for the island actually!

Not your mama's Hawaii Five-0

Author: moonhawk64 from United States
20 September 2010

So the original series was a crime drama about a state police unit designated 50, headed by former naval officer and police officer, Steve McGarrett, whose second in command, Danny Willams was also a close friend. The new series has the same title, opening theme, character names and the fact that McGarrett was in the navy. That's it - the only similarities. The new series is an action series about a sanctioned vigilante unit headed by a current naval officer on a vendetta, and he and his second actively dislike each other. They even changed one of the original male characters into a female character, as in the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. (Hey, wait, Grace Park was in Battlestar Galactica and is in this new Hawaii Five-0, too. Things that make you go hmmm...) Anyway, if you remember the original series - don't expect it here. Which doesn't mean it's bad, exactly, it's actually pretty good. Just...not the same. And...more violent. If that's your bag, fine. I like action and I'll keep watching, but if you wanted the original crime drama, go elsewhere.

CSI-Hawaii want a be---- and fails miserably Some spoilers

Author: hatari-1 from United States
29 September 2010

I was not a major fan of the original 50, but spent enough years in Hawaii to appreciate its cast, their relationship and the many places that make Hawaii unique and Hawaii. The current cast of actors seem so out of place, and so vanilla like so many other shows that there is nothing special about this show. Throw in a few mispronounced names and places and you have a cop show in Hawaii? Don't think so in my opinion--- which is what a review of course is. Others may have liked it, but I give few shows a 3, but I will say for lack of character interaction, very bad plot lines, and little of what makes Hawaii unique in a show about Hawaii. What is it with 3 day old growth that seems to make a hard nosed guy so hard nosed and tough? Where is the grown up directing traffic for this group? I like far out plot lines with the rest (big fan of the far out Burn Notice), but a haole from the mainland is your star hacker--- locals weren't available? Plane comes in and no backup emergency power for the tower and you don't think the military would have jets scrambling in minutes--- planes are tracked across the Pacific. So little plot development, yes the show is early in its inception and delivery, but there is a history and local flavor that could have been added to the show. There are some good cop shows out there, unique plots and places, unfortunately unless the writing and poor direction on this show improves quickly, this will not be around to be one of them.

Highly entertaining cop show

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
8 February 2011

I have never seen an episode of the original 'Hawaii Five-O' (although I will certainly give it a go if it is ever repeated on television) so I have no preconceptions of what to expect with this rebooted version. However, I do love American cop shows and have been looking forward to this since I first heard it was being produced. For those unfamiliar with the premise, the show is set in Hawaii and centres on a newly formed police unit consisting of ex-Navy SEAL Steve McGarrett, New Jersey detective Danny Williams (who has grudgingly moved to Hawaii to be with his young daughter), wrongly disgraced Hawaiian detective Chin Ho Kelly and his rookie cousin Kono Kalakaua (who, apparently, was a guy in the 1970s version but is played by Grace Park in this version).

'Hawaii Five-O' is very much a light, fast action show and doesn't pretend to be anything more. To watch this show, you are required to sit back, relax and suspend your belief. since the characters and story lines are the television version of 'Bad Boys' and 'Lethal Weapon'. As a fan of shows like 'LA Heat' and 'Fastlane', it is refreshing to see the car chases, cop banter and beating up of bad guys that is found in 'Hawaii Five-O'. If you are wanting realism and dark story lines then watch 'Criminal Minds' or 'Blue Bloods' instead, both of which are also good for different reasons to why this show is enjoyable. There is so much realism on television today that I do like something that is pure and simple fun although I do hope that as the show progresses, we will see the characters develop and strengthen.

It certainly a show that deserves a look-in. Even if one doesn't like the characters or the story lines, it's worth watching just to see beautiful Hawaii and the wonderful sun (for British viewers, this is probably the only chance we'll get to see the sun until June, if then!).

Poorly done, supremely unrealistic, slightly funny

Author: cdrridg from United States
21 September 2010

This remake is fine, in theory, yet the story-line is completely unbelievable. The idea that an active duty Naval officer (SEAL) can simply depart the Navy whenever he feels like it is truly beyond reality. The idea that the Governor can simply make this guy a gun-toting police officer with zero police training or procedural knowledge is laughable. The idea that a police academy cadet can simply punch out a fellow surfer with impunity is pure insanity. Sure, the show had some funny or interesting moments - but it goes way beyond suspension of dis-belief into the realm of WTF? From the very beginning of the show it screamed silly - I don't hold out hope for much better as it goes along.

Comparing the pilots of the two "Hawaii 5-0's"

Author: Reginald D. Garrard from Camilla, GA
22 September 2010

Now that the first installment of the "new" Hawaii 5-0 is history, it's time to do a little comparison to show how different it is from its predecessor, a difference that is not for the better.

In the 2010 version, viewers meet a Steve McGarrett (Alex O'Loughlin) who is out for vengeance against the man that murdered his father.

Along the way, the new Steve reluctantly enlists the aid of a stateside-born-detective in the form of Danny Williams (Scott Cain).

The pair is later joined in their crime-fighting efforts by Chin Ho Kelly (Daniel Dae Kim) and Grace Park as "Kono" who has now been recast as a female.

The villain for the episode is James Marsters, looking a tad meaner than he did in his more recent incarnation as "Brainiac" on "Smallville." The pilot left the possibility that he may return.

"Glimpses" of Hawaii's natural beauty are few and far between and the musical score just drones on annoyingly in the background.

The action is relentless and the development of the characters is rushed, indicating that the pilot episode would've been better in the two-hour movie format.

Speaking of that...

The original series premiered with a two-hour pilot, setting the stage for the combination of action, great script-writing, and memorable characterization that would last for twelve years.

Jack Lord is introduced as the no-nonsense Steve McGarrett, head of an elite crime-fighting force set in the tropical paradise known as Hawaii. Tim O'Kelly and Lew Ayres, respectively, are featured as "Danny" and "The Governor." Both will be replaced by James MacArthur and Richard Denning in the subsequent series.

Kam Fong is "Chin" while Zulu takes on the role of "Kono" which he will have for the first four years of the series.

The movie also introduces McGarrett¹s chief nemesis, Wo Fat, brilliantly played by American actor Khigh Deigh, who will periodically pop up to carry out his Communist plans.

In the film, Fat is determined to get government secrets by any means necessary, including brainwashing and torture. And this is a good degree of action in the installment.

Guest stars are familiar faces from 60¹s and 70¹s TV: Leslie Neilsen, Andrew Duggan, James Gregory, and Nancy Kwan. Future frequent guest Soon Tek-Oh has a speechless part as one of Fat's lab "torture chamber" technicians.

The score by Morton Stevens is thrilling, mixing traditional Hawaiian rhythms with a contemporary jazz-influenced score.

Hawaii has never looked better, with the camera lovingly focusing on some of the island state's most beautiful natural and man-made landmarks.

So, what's the prognosis for the new show?

It will probably draw a young audience because of the cast and the action.

But, if the pilot is any indication of the episodes to come, those of us that fondly remember the original will probably pass this remake by.

FIVE for the new pilot and a BIG TEN for the original!

Disgrace to the original series

Author: Aivas
24 October 2010

Too much action...no substance. Typical network re-make: (1) use name(s), title, and theme; (2) use standard action formula and hack writers. Formula: Show horrible murder is committed by someone (or group) who are too much for the Hawaiian Police. Governor calls an unofficial Five-O in (yeah right, how many governors have this kind of time). The Five-O team, which apparently only has to work occasionally, assembles from their diverse personal enjoyments. A laptop accesses unbelievable resources. Grace Parks dresses sexy. Unshaven Alex O'Loughlin shows off tattoos. Civil rights are violated en-masse. Crooks and henchmen suddenly become stupid and are taken down by 2, 3 or 4 members of Five-O. "Book'em Danno". The stories (sic) are full of holes and mostly unbelievable. Cartoons generally go better than this. If this is what the public wants/likes today, my condolences. Leonard Freeman and Jack Lord are turning over in their graves. Prediction: 1 season at best...followed by the new "Law and Order: Hawaii" where we see every one of these cases thrown out of court.

Another remake failure...

Author: gizwiz1 from Canada
11 October 2010

OK, I have to say first off that I like a ton of people was a huge fan of the original. Does that taint my opinion of the remake.....it could but I tend to give a few kicks at the can of remakes from my memories hoping that I can find magic again. A good example is Galactica where the remake was actually better than the original.

In this case with Five-0 though it has completely missed the mark. Of the four main characters only Scott Caan is close to believable in his part. This is the first part I've seen Scott play that I really enjoy his work. I have to admit he reminds me a lot of is father in this role and I don't mean that to be derogatory at all. He has subtle edge here which is what I always loved about watching his father. Feel like your extraordinarily interesting...without ever actually looking like your extraordinarily interesting. Hard to pull off and I think Scott has this. But the rest of the main characters miss the mark entirely. While putting a female in to a historically male role worked in Galactica, Grace Park just is completely out of place in this role. For the role of McGarrett, who the hell is this guy Alex O'Loughlin? The producers, directors or who ever the hell it was that was casting this totally missed the mark. The whole idea here is that the McGarrett character should be seasoned....experienced....older at least than the team he leads and have insight beyond anyone else in order to be able to solve these crimes. This actor cannot live up to the roll and admittedly without any exposure to his previous work I have to question whether professionally he has the depth to be able to be subtle enough to exude excellence that the character should be dripping with in this environment the way Jack Lord did in the original.

All in all the writing is predictable, formula and uninspired for such an awesome environment to write in. The casting misses the mark by a long shot even if 75% sounds high in a 3 out of 4 main characters.

Oh, I suppose I should mention Daniel Dae Kim.....but why? The way this part is being played it could be an extra. Is this character important to the story thread? It seems the writers are trying from time to time to invent some reason to give a crap about this character but I'm not sold and the acting is shallow. I can't blame Daniel, he's acting the material he's given so is this character pointless because of the writing or the skill of the actor. In the end I have to say....I don't care. How sad is that for both the character and the actor? I've seen Daniel before but not sure in what but he seems intriguing. I suspect he can do better given better material, but not in this vehicle.....or at least not what he's been given so far.

In the old show I was always intrigued by these ancillary characters and wanted to know more about Chin Ho and Kono. The fact we never did made them more interesting but the way the writers and producers have set the characters up in this series is forced and uncomfortable. The biggest worry for them is I don't really want to know more about hem. In fact I've lost interest entirely and what a shame. In comparison to the old series, I always wanted to know more, always couldn't wait for the next... anything. This version not so much.

Not to be racist or anything but two people of Korean heritage playing Hawaiians? The producers think we're stupid or what? When they do have native Hawaiians in an episode Park and Kim look totally out of place playing natives. This is reminiscent of whites playing Chinese in the 30's like Charlie Chan played by Warner Oland who was from Sweden.

I want to love the show but every week so far it has let me down in spades. Rats..... If nothing else the remake of the theme song is dead on and it still gives me a rush to hear it. The remaining 40 minutes or so doesn't live up to the first 40 seconds. I couldn't be more disappointed.

I look forward to seeing Scott Caan in something better in the future.

All male everything.

Author: C M from United States
22 January 2016

Stories are a bit tired and a lot is recycled from other crime shows. Mostly reviewing to point out that this has the standard misogynist storyline with 6+ male leads that are prominent throughout the entire series, but only 1 permanent female character. Varying levels of 'attractiveness' for men, but don't expect to see a woman with a BMI over 18 or a woman over 30 who isn't there for a 'reason' (relation to an existing character). This limits the storyline dramatically, and makes the series repetitive and flat. This is why BBC TV series are seeing a surge in popularity- they are more relatable while still keeping the exciting qualities. Aside from that, assuming the machismo is meant to reflect the original series- but it is outdated and obnoxious to have every male have the same canned personality.

That being said, mildly entertaining, but just a standard crime show that feels like a time- filler.

A fun ride with some "Dude, seriously?" moments here and there.

Author: tangochan85 from United States of America
23 April 2012

I have yet to miss an episode, which is quite rare for me, because with most TV shows I watch, there's always an episode description that puts me off or I get five minutes in and I can't get any farther into the writing of the episode. That's not to say Hawaii Five-0 is flawless, there are some quibbles I have with it here and there, but above all else, I don't take it seriously. It's flashy, fun, and occasionally melodramatic. However, luckily, the melodrama isn't all-permeating, and the show is not stuck on melancholy or misery like so many shows nowadays seem to be, though it's not without its serious episodes. There are a lot of entertaining actors on this program, not just the main four actors, but some secondary characters can be quite good and you look forward to them recurring. It might not be a show for everyone, but this show is definitely worth a try for those who haven't tried it yet.

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]