IMDb > "Hawaii Five-0" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hawaii Five-0"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Hawaii Five-0" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Best show I've seen in years!

Author: Deana_1977 from United States
20 September 2010

I was a huge fan of the original Hawaii Five-O, so when I heard about this attempt at a new show, I was excited but skeptical at the same time. Would it be just another CSI, or would it be different? Would it deserve to be called 'Hawaii Five-O'? Well, I must say...

I LOVE it!

First of all, the show is NOT just another CSI. It's different...it's funny...all in all, it's refreshing. Steve and Danno's bantering with each other is hilarious...very normal and realistic. There are some differences regarding the character's lives, but that's fine, as long as every episode has the spirit that it's had so far.

As for the actors...Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan are perfect. I can't imagine anyone else having their roles. Daniel Dae Kim is fine in his role...the only problem I have is with Grace Park. It seems unbelievable that her character would land a job like this, fresh out of police academy and with no real police experience...not to mention that she looks 15 years old. Oh well.

I haven't missed a single episode, and eagerly await it every week!

I enjoyed the pilot episode, it's got some heart to it

Author: cdn moviebuff from canada
21 September 2010

Actors: Main 3 are cookie cutter, nearly identical birth years. I like that they're in their 30's and not all 90210 on viewers. Storyline: Definitely an action show, and it's done adequately. Script: Solid. Some cheesy stuff, some wow stuff, some well acted scenes. A few roll your eyes moments, but that keeps in part with the way the original was.

Pros: The script writing. The acting. The actors aren't Hollywood good-looking. But they are a good match with the scripts. Subtle little moments of humour, that you have to see visually and/or hear. Something ha ha will be thrown in there when you least expect it. The building of the characters. You find out little bits here and there and already starting to get a better understanding of how a character is the way he or she is.

Cons: The filming of a fight sequence, taking on the bad guys was terrible. That's not a spoiler. You'd fully expect to see one, seeing as it was in a huge amount of TV commercials. It sucks because you can see the distance between them, when they are at blows with each other. The editing is a shambles, it's so crappy in the action sequences. Could be much better. Hire more qualified people, it's worth it.

The believability of some legal situations are a bit dodgy. That detracts, and makes it a little hard to buy into it. But then again it is not a documentary. It's a TV show that's there to entertain you. Watch yourself a reality show like Cops if you're going to harp on it.

Summarily. My take: I like it because it's fresh. The camaraderie reminds me (a little) of: some Starsky and Hutch, a dash of 21 Jump Street, and yes the feel of the original Hawaii Five-O is there. It's on location on beautiful Oahu, with little studio time in it. Outdoors: That's just how they roll on that island.

Hawaii Five- O WOW !

Author: janus-20 from United Kingdom
1 March 2011

I LOVE this show, LOVE it, its just the shot in the arm TV needs, its the complete antithesis of most of the other American shows we get here in the UK and its such a welcome contrast.

There are some superb TV shows on offer at the moment, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, genre shows like Dexter, Tru Blood and Walking Dead, all diverse, all excellent top draw entertainment.

Its the success of these shows that makes Five-0 such a great alternative, its fast paced, funny, has plenty of crash, bang, wallop and it looks great.

A guilty pleasure you say ? NO, this exactly what TV should be doing, offering choice, i hate reality and talent shows with every fibre of my being, but they cater to people who do like them, so i feel that i deserve an action packed cop show now and again.

Choice is the key factor in everything we do for recreation today, TV like it or not is a big part of peoples recreation, so its right that it should be offering a diversity of shows that appeal to all tastes.

As to the issue of remakes/boots, whatever, this tired argument ran out of steam on Battlestar Galactica, i ranted against the new one, then sat and watched it and realised that, you can like both, the hypocrisy cops are not going to kick your door down. If you like it, good, if you don't like it, good, but ranting about the revisiting of classics is like arguing with the weather. I used to watch the original Five-0 here in the UK (Saturday nights, ITV, late on) loved it, but i can find some room for the new one too.

This show has to get a second series, this is flat out brilliant TV, in the middle of a worldwide recession, political and social upheaval rife, the upbeat, take no prisoners, ass kicking note of Hawaii's favourite Five-0 unit is just the tonic.

A refreshing dose of action-packed escapism

Author: quarrellator
4 January 2011

This show feels like the antidote to all those forensic, gritty, supposedly realistic crime dramas out there today. Hawaii 5-0 2010 is no crime drama, and it's not meant to be. It's also not its father, and anyone looking for a straight remake of the original classic is setting themselves up for disappointment. It's an old-fashioned cop show, the concept updated for today's audience, but with story lines that Starsky & Hutch would be proud of, providing a few more car chases down box-strewn alleyways were thrown in. It's Die Hard for the small screen - John McClane would fit right into the new 5-0 unit, fighting all the terrorist/ninja/crooked cop types that Hawaii seems to be attracting like a magnet. Excellent action sequences, great gun fights, some entertaining relationships developing between the characters, and you know what? Sometimes things just go boom. Pure entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

Shows Promise but...

Author: jodogo59 from New Jersey
20 September 2010

Let's start with arguably the best and most recognized TV score of all time. If the producers want to use the original theme song, then why shorten it? It reminded me of the truncated TV tunes of re-runs in syndication.

Now for the pilot episode. I thought it odd that Hawaii 5-0 would open with a scene in South Korea. It's like stumbling out of bed in the morning not exactly sure what you're going to do that day.

There are also seemed to be to much gun play and not enough acting. The dialog and some of the background setup (Danno's family situation, for example) was a bit too cliché. Some of the personal background could be better developed over time rather than cramming it into one episode while chasing the bad guys.

The overall storyline for the pilot was excellent, though. It gave background to 5-0's beginnings and it maintained a certain consistency and plausibility with TOS while adding the dimension of McGarrett and his father.

Some of the dialog resulted in an approving chuckle from me.

The episode began to gel about 2/3 in and by the end of the show, I felt comfortable with the main characters and looked forward to the next chapter.

Hawaii Five-O Nice!

Author: Right-Wing-Man from United States
28 September 2010

I was around for the original series, although I was only about 5 or 6 at the time, but I still watched it with my folks and liked the original series. Now as I look back, I find that the original I can't even watch anymore... how the times have changed.

Now we are introduced to the new Five-0 and what a pleasant surprise! The 4 main actors are excellent and they have a good chemistry together. Grace Park is absolutely gorgeous! A stunning beauty and great actor as well. One of the other things I enjoy about the remake is the edge of the new show. This thing feels more like "24" then the Five-O of old, which is great! Keep up the great work guys and you've got a watcher here!

Terrible. Why won't Hollywood stop these re-makes and allow us to enjoy our memories?

Author: hitherejimbo-1 from Seattle WA
21 September 2010

An abomination. Whoever came up with the crazy idea of trying to make what is basically a conventional cops-and-robbers shoot 'em up blow'em up show special by linking it to one of the classiest shows ever produced should have his membership card in the scriptwriters union revoked. Did they think the nostalgia factor would attract new viewers? Why call the two leads Steve McGarrett and Danny Williams when their age, appearance, mannerisms, behavior, and above all their relationship bear no resemblance whatsoever to Jack Lord and James MacArthur? Why change the sex of Kono? Why include an abbreviated version of the original theme music? Hawaii is an exotic backdrop for any show but the original Hawaii Five-0 introduced it naturally as the action took us from the mansions of Kahala to the slums of King Street and to such places as the campus of the university, Kapiolani Park, the Iolani Palace, the Punchbowl Cemetery, and the hotels of Waikiki. The new version just gives us periodic quick flashes of scenery some of which look like they are not real shots but artificially created ones. Finally, there was the plot of the new show, - confusing, conventional, and not comparable to the thoughtful, suspenseful plots of the original that dealt with such issues as the theft of art work, espionage, child kidnapping, and con jobs performed on servicemen enjoying R & R from Vietnam. I remember with particular pleasure the the three part series on the Vashon crime family and the attempts of first Harold Gould as the father and then Luther Adler as the grandfather to destroy McGarrett because of the death of the grandson. There were great guest stars too, including Hal Holbrook, Ed Asner, Hume Cronyn, and even Helen Hayes. The original Hawaii Five-0 was unique. I resent the attempt to use it to gussy up an otherwise conventional show that on its own might not last a year.

"Get them off my Island"

Author: wright7700 from United States
20 December 2010

I can't say enough good about this show and its actors. All four of the major characters were well chosen and show a great range of emotions, allowing for considerable character development. In one episode, we learn more about where all four of them than we did in the original series from 1968-80. Their acting ability and range would allow for big screen versions of the show.

Instead of the squeaky clean and unrealistic, monotone characters of the original series, all of these people have "issues" related to the complexities and problems of modern life: long distance moves, job stress, living away from family members, political problems.

The plots of each episode move very quickly, and I am able to pick up new things watching an episode a second time.

While the pilot and first few episodes didn't take advantage of the beautiful backdrop of Hawaii quite enough, they sure have made up for that over the season. Molokai, Kauai, and rural areas of Oahu have all been displayed in a beautiful radiant fashion. Having been there twice myself, I believe that every American should see this true paradise.

I had never seen Alex O'Loughlin in anything before this series, and he knocks the ball out of the park with his modern, over the top, somewhat Neanderthal McGarrett, who pushes the law to the limit to win. His chemistry with Scott Caan makes the series. They deliver without turning this into Baywatch.

It would be interesting to see Jean Smart, the governor, a bit more, but that might politicize the cases a little too much. The writers and producers have a long way to run with this thing.

"Get them off my island."

First Rate Reboot!

Author: Glfpro3-1 from United States
28 September 2010

The new reboot of Hawaii Five-0 is first rate from start to finish. The fresh takes on the original characters are a breath of fresh air. It's very interesting having the tension between McGarrett & Williams. The idea of making Kono a girl is also a great idea. The Hawaii locations look great in high-def and it's interesting to see how much Hawaii has grown since the original series went off the air. It's a great cast and so far the story lines are very good. The only thing missing is the persistent over-acting from Jack Lord, but that's a good thing. If you never watched the original series, give this one a chance. If you were a fan of the original, you won't be disappointed at all. It's great to have the series back on TV and I can't wait to see where the new producers and writers take us. Book 'em Dano!

Highly entertaining cop show

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
8 February 2011

I have never seen an episode of the original 'Hawaii Five-O' (although I will certainly give it a go if it is ever repeated on television) so I have no preconceptions of what to expect with this rebooted version. However, I do love American cop shows and have been looking forward to this since I first heard it was being produced. For those unfamiliar with the premise, the show is set in Hawaii and centres on a newly formed police unit consisting of ex-Navy SEAL Steve McGarrett, New Jersey detective Danny Williams (who has grudgingly moved to Hawaii to be with his young daughter), wrongly disgraced Hawaiian detective Chin Ho Kelly and his rookie cousin Kono Kalakaua (who, apparently, was a guy in the 1970s version but is played by Grace Park in this version).

'Hawaii Five-O' is very much a light, fast action show and doesn't pretend to be anything more. To watch this show, you are required to sit back, relax and suspend your belief. since the characters and story lines are the television version of 'Bad Boys' and 'Lethal Weapon'. As a fan of shows like 'LA Heat' and 'Fastlane', it is refreshing to see the car chases, cop banter and beating up of bad guys that is found in 'Hawaii Five-O'. If you are wanting realism and dark story lines then watch 'Criminal Minds' or 'Blue Bloods' instead, both of which are also good for different reasons to why this show is enjoyable. There is so much realism on television today that I do like something that is pure and simple fun although I do hope that as the show progresses, we will see the characters develop and strengthen.

It certainly a show that deserves a look-in. Even if one doesn't like the characters or the story lines, it's worth watching just to see beautiful Hawaii and the wonderful sun (for British viewers, this is probably the only chance we'll get to see the sun until June, if then!).

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]