IMDb > "The Gates" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Gates"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Gates" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

serial drama with supernatural characters

Author: steel_indigo from United States
23 September 2013

With every series people always compare but I see no comparison to anything with this show. I find the idea very unique and I blame the network for its cancellation because it was a good series. Their advertising of this series made it appear to be sort of a spoof, rather than a serious drama. This is why I didn't pay much attention to it and didn't watch even one episode when it was actually on TV. If they had represented it better I would have watched it regularly. It wouldn't have helped because Nielson only counts ages 18-49 viewers in their ratings and not that many really. I have just watched the only season and was shocked they canceled it. It was a great show if you like fantasy/horror. I will put this bluntly, even in the book Dracula, he could go out in daylight. The idea he couldn't was drummed up by screenwriters in Hollywood and became sort of a stereotype. Besides they are fictional and can be any way the author chooses. In some folklore , the werewolf and the vampire are connected and Bram Stoker mixed the two and that is why some think vampires are this or that. I never liked the idea of undead because how can they be that and eat anything or think, and walk and talk? It has to be more of an affliction passed from one to the other. This seems to be the case in this show as in many books even if it isn't spelled out.

I think the next season would have been even better. It is too bad this show was canceled because it had a good cast of stars. It has been highly underrated by some. This is why I generally don't watch network shows because they are too quick to cancel them. A show should have at least two seasons. The first one is the development of the story line and the second gets to the meat of things and moves on from there. What a shame such a good series was canceled. I would at least try watching the first season anyway if you haven't seen it. It's filled with vampires, werewolves, succubi, magick and a host of others that hadn't yet been revealed. It ended on a cliff hanger unfortunately which is very unethical of networks to do.

Please Make Another Series Of This

Author: forevertweety6996 from Nebraska
24 August 2013

I loved the whole show, the dynamics of how wolves, vampires and others tried to live together without killing each other. The coolest part was to put an unknown in and get her to bring them all together. The witch doing things that people knew but could not prove was awesome. I want to know what Charlie is, what was Devon going to use him for besides just getting herself out of the situation she was in. Was Devon "Charlie's Master in a sorts because she brought him back"? Someone needs to pick this up and finish it because it could be a real hit. This is an Awesome TV show so, I wish some one would pick this one back up and continue the series. I just finished watching it on Netflix and I loved it....Maybe Netflix should maybe try to get the rights to the show and finish it...Just my opinion...This show needs to continue cause it just leaves you hanging with nothing....common people.....please don't let this show just die....

I loved the show

Author: melodycb from United States
27 December 2011

I hate to see it is over, I was just getting into the whole show. It was something different and I wish it could continue. I was just getting my husband to watch with me. Blasted!!Poor Charlie, he is stuck like that forever and Devon got away with all her bad behavior. And Sara needed to let Nick do his job.I liked how Emily already knew that her parents were Vampires, Kids are so smart.I loved Clares part, she is a tough cookie.It just about broke my heart when Mr Buckley was ready to be turned and then his wife died trying, he really loved her and Devon just couldn't handle it, she had to mess it up with witchcraft. Well, I hope another series comes out soon. Thanks while it lasted.

Was getting into it when it was canceled but some major flaws

Author: phd_travel from United States
2 November 2011

There have been quite a few vampires & werewolves on TV recently. Vampire Diaries and Teen Wolf have found an audience but The Gates was cancelled. The storyline tried to be both about the adults and the teens. That was it's niche but also why it failed because the adult storyline wasn't interesting. There were some flaws in writing and casting. Somehow it had a daytime soap feel about it. They had too many short scenes without much happening. And not a lot of plot progressed each episode so one could lose interest quickly. There wasn't enough humor too. Casting was not prime time. Rhona Mitra looks quite vampire like but she isn't too pleasant looking to tune into every week. Luke Mably's Brit accent was a bit grating. Frank Grillo had silly lines. I liked Marisol Nichols. Skyler Samuels isn't attractive enough to be the main teen girl in the show. Her next show 9 Lives of Chloe King was cancelled too. Plus the character she played was annoying. Didn't feel their romance. Her boyfriend played by Travis Caldwell looked a bit insipid to be the main teen lead. Colton Haynes has gone on to a similar role in Teen Wolf. Was kind of getting into the series towards the end but I can see why it was cancelled. With True Blood for the older crowd and Teen Wolf and Vampire Diaries for the younger crowd The Gates just didn't have a place.

My opinion

Author: indiastarr from United States
14 December 2012

This is BS! They suck you into this show, and just leave you hanging at the end of season 1... WTF!? THAN they don't even make a season 2 or 3. TOTAL FREAKING BS! Who ever decided to cancel this show needs a slap in the face for being a D!C#.... GRRRR! If you start something freaking finish it people.

I'm giving this a 4 because it's a great drama, but they never finished it... (>_<)

I mean you can't leave the show ending with so much suspense then just never freaking finish the story... WHO DOES THIS!????

AND F YOU IMDb FOR SAYING MY REVIEW ISN"T FREAKING LONG ENOUGH! GUESS WHAT NEITHER WAS THIS SHOW >_<

Hit and Miss

Author: Janice Costonova from United States
19 September 2010

This show is hit and miss so far for me. The characters and premise have a lot of potential, but some episodes are just boring, and full of somewhat "manufactured" drama. Other episodes are better. The later episodes have been getting better, enough so that I'm sticking with it for now, but, I may give up if we get more dud episodes.

This show has some "soapy" elements. Certain aspects remind me a little bit of Desperate Housewives. But the show also has some more exciting supernatural action to it - it the writers are just trying to figure out the right balance, I guess.

Dylan is the best! And Claire and the chief. The chief's wife is a bit annoying, I feel, and most of the other characters are a bit "meh" so far. So, in short I'm still watching this because I watch too much TV, and I'm enjoying it enough, but I'm not that excited about this show. And if I was ever really busy with something, it would be one of the first casualties of my TV viewing schedule.

Impressed

Author: chelbiechaos from United States
25 July 2010

The Gates impressed me not only because I am from Louisiana and this series was shot in Lousiana, or I knew a few people who guest starred in this series. But, it is a bitter sweet mixture of Desperate Housewives, and Twilight. Although I hate the idea of all of these movies and shows who copied off of one of my beloved movies of all time, Twilight it's very original to me. No it is not one bit like Twilight but it does have vampires and fictional mythological creatures. It's interesting to watch the clash of this show with drama and supernatural. I also think it will be canceled unfortunately. But at least we got to taste and experience something new and original!!

Unimaginative and Uncreative

Author: Cobweb-852-555701 from United States
23 September 2010

The storyline of this television series seems to be a composite rip off of several other movies and TV series that are doing well. It seems to be a rather poor approximation of the movie Twilight combined with an overly melodramatic version of the SyFy network's Sanctuary series. The creators of The Gates appear to be trying to cash in on the popularity of two very different genres: dramas (ie: Desperate Housewives) and scifi/fantasy/thrillers (ie: Sanctuary and Supernatural). The editing and cinematography are even less creative than the storyline. Additionally, the poor quality of acting, the somber lighting, and the director's over use of soft focus lenses make this series difficult to watch.

The Gates, Jeez, what at housing tract

Author: jackstone from california
21 June 2010

Its a rather small gated upscale community and neighborhood of vampires and flesh eaters. They have a Police Dept with one Chief, two officers (that's six on a 24/7 basis). For some reason an ex Chgo cop with bad baggage (no pun) arrives as the new Chief being able to afford this despicable tract. Did they buy it on a video tour or did they just take a wild shot and move to wherever the Gates are from Chgo?

With the Gates shown in a few frames it shows a tract of homes, not a City. How can it afford a Police Dept? There must be a Fire dept as well with Denis Leary rejects manning the House. The only really familiar face is Rhona Mitra, whose been knocking around TV for a few years, Boston legal, Nip Tuck, etc. The pilot is worthwhile because it shouts out the inane nature of this get ABC on the vampire wagon show. My feeling is that they rushed to put on this summer reject together. I wonder what the Gate's monthly maintenance fee might be, what $10K to $15K a month? You gotta pay the cops, pay for all the high security stuff, the high school, insurance, utilities, garbage, etc. The series is irritatingly silly and time-wasting, pick up a book or your Ipad or something and entertain yourself by ignoring slapped together summer junk like this. Stick with shows like "the Riches" or "SOA", they will be worth the wait and leaving you wanting to see the next show. The Gates doesn't do this and there better shows and reruns on basic cable. It misses whatever mark they tried to hit, as a matter of fact it missed the target totally.

Wildly unimpressed!

Author: (vmwmdm@aol.com) from United States
5 July 2010

This show is another in a long line of media taking advantage of the vampire craze created by Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Saga. While Twilight has satisfied it's own niche of light, early teen romances about supernatural beings, the idea of vampires and other demihumans has now become synonymous with perpetuating Joss Whedon's high school super hero take-off of a classic one-off movie from the late 80s, early 90s. Vampires have become weak with moral dilemmas about something as simple as feeding, turning into pretty heroin addict tweakers and although most are hundreds of years old, they either don't know how to properly control their hunger so their food doesn't lead to deaths and/or can't get their feelings for someone under control. Not to mention they push around humans with their powers like it somehow makes them big and tough. It always makes them feel vindicated and confident, when it should make them feel like housepets, pushing their nibblets around while fancying themselves hunters.

Vampire Diaries is, at least, based on a series of books and although I've also found that to be as weak as The Gates, at least some thought has gone into the plot. The Gates has taken factors that work for a lot of other shows, crammed them together, and made one show. When Port Charles, a short-lived daytime soap, tried to incorporate vampires and angels into their plots, it got canned really fast.

If you want to read about vampires fighting creatures of their own caliber, like elves, demons, pixies, dwarfs, dragons and more, while fending off humans that have the firepower and resources to give the vampires at least a run for their money, check out The Demihuman Archives, by Marc Mattaliano. Email me for more details.

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]