IMDb > "The Gates" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Gates"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Gates" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

I Am Pleasantly Surprised

Author: el7 from United States
20 June 2010

And that probably means this will wind up being canceled. I wasn't expecting any more than a supernatural soap opera as a summer diversion, and that element is there alright, but there's more going on under the surface. It's a really good sign that there's subtext as early as the Pilot, so I actually hope this show will last.

The Gates follows a Chicago homicide detective who moves his family to an affluent gated community to become its new Chief of Police. What he doesn't realize is that the community is really a sort of retreat/preserve for a variety of supernatural beings. There are subplots involving a handsome vampire couple trying to become well-adjusted participants in human society, a teenage werewolf pack trying to integrate a lone wolf into their group, and a witch trying to bring her rogue apprentice back from the left hand path. And that's not including the requisite teenage love triangle, only in this case it's looking like it's one of the teen boys who is the human in the equation.

This is a show posing the question about whether or not it's a futile effort to try to tame predatory urges, and it's not just the monsters who fit the theme. The cop also finds himself eager to hunt, his instincts tweaked by the mysterious goings-on. Each of the characters has a compelling reason to want to settle down, and an equally compelling reason to want to break free of the constraints represented by the stylized suburban setting.

I'm curious to see where these writers are going to go with this, but cautious, because ABC has not really been a long-term home to shows like this, with the notable exception of Lost. I hope they give this one a chance. Unlike the recently canceled Happy Town (also of ABC) this one is shaping up to be something more substantial than a guilty pleasure.

Good combination of intrigue and Supernatural to last...

Author: cjrmnf from United States
20 June 2010

Watching the pilot as I type. First impressions are good. Mysterious gated community. Security...seclusion...vampires.

Has decent character development and conflicts to make you want to watch the next episode and the next and the next. As long as it doesn't turn into a "monster of the week" series, I predict it will have long term success. And it doesn't hurt that it features beautiful women who aren't too overtly sexual.

It reminds you of the Best Stephen King novels and movies.

I find it intriguing even though to supernatural is overt. There seems to be a lot of potential for real dramatic development.

The "big bads" haven't even been revealed (or more than thinly eluded to) and I'm already hooked!!!

Don't give up ...gets better!

Author: Donnie Geovanni from Canada
25 July 2010

I've watched all current seasons of Moonlight, Blood Ties, True Blood, Vampire Diaries & Being Human. If you are a fan of any of these shows you will most likely enjoy 'The Gates'. The first episode sets up the story (which seems a little dull) but progresses quickly as episodes two and three roll along. Hang in there and you might be pleasantly surprised. Viewers who appreciate the 'in your face', slick blood and sexually driven 'True Blood' type of stories may be a bit disappointed here. The tone of this show in comparisons is very light. It focuses more on drama then on suspense, thrills and horror. I'll give you a spoiler free summary of the show if you have not yet watched it. It's a story of an enclosed community (surround by a gate ...surprise!) of super natural beings hiding their real identities from those who are human. Normal stuff (drama) of everyday human life takes place. Work, school, stress, love, hate and romance. The town sheriff (human) helps unravel the story as unexpected events require investigations. Through this slow process the secret identities of the characters are revealed to the viewer. There's much room for development so the possibilities are endless. I hope the writers can take it to the next level.

Fantastic Show.(Love IT)

Author: burden45 from United States
9 August 2010

Initially I watched the first few episodes, because there was nothing on in the summer months. I quickly got hooked. I think the time slot is perfect in that it follows True Blood and I get a double dose of vamparism on the same night. The show is a supernaturals dream and has everything that deals with the supernatural; Vampires, Wearwolfs,Succubus, and witches. It has the feel of Desperate Houseswives ( Another of my favorite shows) I love the plot twist and the characters are extremely interesting. This show has a lot of room to minipulate its plots and characters without the show ever getting boring and I hope ABC realize what a great hit it has on it's hands and keep it coming.

The Gates is a great show to watch.

Author: BeBeDe from United States
15 August 2010

The Gates is a great adult soap style series like Desperate Housewives with a twist. If you like supernatural story lines and upscale settings in today's world then this is a great place to spend and hour enjoying a little mystery. Definitely a keeper. Too many peoples expect a big bang on the first few episodes instead of giving characters time to grow and develop relationships within the story. I can see potential for all the characters to grow and give lots of entertainment to all the fans of this genre of show. What is considered original these days? How can any show be condemned as unoriginal when television is bombarded with spin off crime dramas. I think this show has a lot of originality and hopefully will stay around for more seasons to come.

Getting better!

Author: weileder from United States
12 July 2010

With the first two episodes, I thought the show was giving away too much information, too fast. Then there was a rerun, due to the fourth of July holiday. When it came back last night, with the third episode, I thought, "now it's getting good." Last nights episode had a clever plot and went off with me asking questions. (What's in the box?) That's good. Questions make me want to keep watching. I'm glad it's moving in the right direction. It's a new show and may take a little while to get it's footing. I really hope the network gives it the chance to do so. If someone only watched the first episode, and decided it wasn't worth your time, you should really go back and watch it again. If you haven't watched any of it, start. I think it's going to be a fun show to be a part of.

Worth a series I think

Author: zinglebarb from United Kingdom
26 June 2010

I enjoyed this enough to hope it makes a full series.

To JohnnyFenton and vampires in daylight ,well the husband works at a lab. You clearly saw her smother herself in some kind of lotion and you also saw a part of her burn in sunlight where she had not put said lotion.

Some people are happy to just pick holes when they have not even watched it properly.

Anyway I do like the idea of a group of different types of supernatural entities try to live normal lives outside of normal society.I also think the fact some find it hard and give way to instinct works

ABC made another great show they take nowhere

Author: stella-eversonoo from United States
20 December 2012

I loved the whole show, the dynamics of how wolves, vampires and others tried to live together without killing each other. The coolest part was to put an unknown in and get her to bring them all together. The witch doing things that people knew but could not prove was awesome. I want to know what Charlie is, what was Devon going to use him for besides just getting herself out of the situation she was in. Was Devon "Charlie's Master in a sorts because she brought him back"? Someone needs to pick this up and finish it because it could be a real hit. I know a lot of my friends talked about it so I finally watched it on Netflix and it was awesome. TNT, CW, Spike, USA, any one pick it up and use it and I can bet you will have a lot of followers. People are wanting someone to do something with this show, it was a great starter and we are all on the edge of our seats waiting for someone to do something with it.

Summer fun

Author: Beginthebeguine from United States
20 July 2010

Vampires have always had one thing in common, from their darkest days in Romania, to the Meyers chronicles of today: They are what we fear the most--us dead. You can coat them with glitter, you can make a soap opera out of them; but in the end they are us dead. That has to be the main conflict of the story. What makes the Vampire really interesting, to me, is not the Vampire themselves; but the living humans who are forced to deal with the consequences of the living dead among them. A story line, is just a story line after all: 'A police office and his family move into a gated community where many are denizens of the supernatural world'.What the writers do with plot and conflict will make the difference of whether this show is worth the investment of your time. Here Nick, a police officer --with a past-- is conflicted to begin with. Underneith the professional exterior he is driven to make up for sins of his past. It doesn't take long before he is confronted with the fact that he murdered a suspect in cold blood, and due to this, he is forced to make an allegiance with darkness. This, so far, is the main storyline.

There are werewolves teens (for the tween crowd) and there are other fringe supernatural characters (R.H. Macy's always said you must diversify if you are going to succeed at selling anything over a long period of time) even a succubus (perhaps she can eventually find a nice incubus, settle down, and buy a house in "The Gates"). They will, no doubt, be forced to jump the shark eventually, but for now it is great fun.

It is a beautiful cast and I have yet to see an unattractive person walking the streets of "The Gates". It is the Melrose Place of the supernatural. We carry a lot of baggage with us about Vampires and their kin the Werewolves. I like The Hammer Films of the 1950-1970's. I like the Werewolves of "The Howling" or even "American Werewolf in London" best. The egocentric evil of the Vampire or the Jekyll and Hyde conflict of the Werewolf is my genre home, but it is alright to leave the safety of your home and visit someone else's imagination for a spell. In the end, "The Gates" is summer fun and has something for every generation. A distraction from the heat of this summer. I plan to enjoy it for what it is.....

a great show....

Author: r-o-n
22 July 2010

if you want to watch a show that treats sci fi characters in a mature, modern and not exaggerated way, then watch this one. it is not a teen series like "true blood', and although we're all probably fed up with vampire shows, this one is really surprising, and most of the actors are great. it was nice to see that there are other options for sci fi characters like witches, wolf-men (not werewolves), and a succubus. lots of intrigues and subtext, but not in a heavy way, and the suspense is flowing. I think it would add if the writers would focus a little more on the witches. It is nice to see that the wolf-men are not puppet werewolves with that cheap look. all in all a good show and let's hope it won't get cancelled.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]