IMDb > Cleanskin (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Insightful and powerful

Author: John_lester72 from United Kingdom
18 May 2012

Insightful is a word which best describes this film. The reasons as to why British born terrorists turn to the path of mass murder are explored well in this very British film.

Sean Bean is well cast and his performance is brutal and minimal, he ticks the boxes of Cleanskin's demands. As always with Bean there is a hidden and minimal intelligent subtlety, but this needs to be observed closely in the context of the film.

The film examines with subtlety who (and how) persuades individuals to perpetrate horrific acts. This is shown with Ewans and Ash's character and their leaders, played by Charlotte Rampling and Peter Polycarpou.There are key moments in the film that are obviously meant to show and mirror the traits and similarity of the two leads, both have started moral but Ewan has turned to questionable and Ash has no excuse for his horrific acts, but the interest is how it is done this with subtlety.

Look out for certain key characters checking their appearance, marks on their clothes, dirt on their hands, this seems to be a reference in line with lady Macbeth and the blood she imagines on her hand. Guilty and frayed psyche's occupy this film.

Blending the action with drama is exactly why the film transcends into much more than just another violent film. The fact that these two elements are put together is what makes it deeply disturbing.

Cleanskin is insightful and thrilling.

First class effort from Hadi Hajaig

Author: james-309-888511 from United Kingdom
5 March 2012

This film really impressed me and far outweighed my expectations. A real quality thriller with some highly intelligent twists which will leave you thinking about the subject topic well after you've left the cinema. I understand the writer/producer spent a great deal of time researching some of the deeper issues of terrorism and at no point is this film afraid to deal with very topical and difficult issues. This film is going to start many a conversation following its release. I find it hard to understand how the film was made from such a slim budget. It's packed with effects, graphics, music, quality actors and is a very accomplished piece of work. This is a first class effort from Hadi Hajaig of the newly formed UK Film Studio which has really hit the mark for me. Most gripping film laced with edgy undertones that I have seen in a while - daring, exciting and compelling viewing.

Pulsating, gritty, controversial and memorable....

Author: starlight0222 from United Kingdom
9 March 2012

I can only agree wholeheartedly with the other reviews. This is a pulsating , vibrant film that will stick in the memory for a long time and will, undoubtedly provoke muck discussion and media interest (as well as a great deal off critical acclaim). The action comes thick and fast and the film benefits from screen writing which is both economical and expansive whilst the dialogue ranges from the gritty to the poetical. Strong performances all round make this one of the thrillers of the year and a solid 9 rating on merit and for the sheer bravery to put out a film about terrorism when Oscars scream "tweeness". Catch this while you can and you wont be disappointed!

Good violent genre fun.

Author: Broodboy from United Kingdom
18 March 2012

The film has violently constructed action and fight sequences. Heads splattering, arms snapped and one of the best head shots I've seen in a long time. The pace is good and Mean Bean is grizzled and grazzled, like he eats broken glass for breakfast and nails for lunch, the bloke looks like he's been shoved through a cement mixer and survived.

The terrorist is good and the guy who plays the assassin maniac who comes from abroad is seriously scary, that blokes eyes make you sh*t yourself.

I enjoyed it, it's a fun genre movie. Not for all the family lol!! and certainly not a date movie, you will not get laid with your lady if you take her to this movie but it's a lads film with a twisty turny ending that makes you know this is pure genre.

Thoughtful & even handed British script

Author: SkyGirl3 from United Kingdom
7 July 2012

What I enjoyed most about this films that it showed both sides of a very British story without being preachy, one sided or have an agenda. What made me watch it all the way through is that it was all built into the thriller format.

What I have found in many films dealing with this subject matter is that they all have been either heavy handed but mostly too worthy. Cleanskin gets on with telling a story and just observes and keeps a distance from the issues, simply presenting them asthey are.

It was good to see the process of how a man born here in the UK is turned to the road of murder and how people use him for their own reasons and benefits. Very refreshing to have a film show the process and treat the character of Ash objectively but showing all his appalling faults.

It was Sean's Beans best performance for many years, I'm not too familiar with all his films but I thought he did a very good job with this film as he did on Game of Thrones. The good thing about his character is that he wasn't the standard angry soldier, he had a history and motivation.

My favourite scene was when Ash is about to commit his attack he visits the Cleric, Ash wants reassurance about heaven and the cleric reassures him then hurriedly goes to his sons birthday party leaving Ash alone to commit his act while the Cleric is enjoying himself elsewhere. I think that scene sums the film up, very poignantly written.

A good movie that fell short of being great.

Author: William Barber from United Kingdom
6 July 2012

This move pleasantly surprised me. I was expecting a rather mindless 'lets get the terrorists' themed action film but was instead treated to a film that, to a limited extent, tried to explore the motivations of the main characters whilst still maintaining the feel and pace of an action movie.

On the action side, it was quite good. The fight scenes felt quite real and were not over the top but still managed to have quite an impact. Where the film fell short however, was the other side, in the explaining motivations. It almost seemed to me that a 30-45min chunk of the film was left out in the middle. The part of the movie that drew me in the most was the bomber and how outside influences as well as his own personal feelings pushed him in the direction he ended up going in but, it needed more of that. As, to me at least, I couldn't attach myself to the leaps he made along the way which overall, ruined what would have otherwise been a very very interesting exploration of the subject.

Perhaps I'm asking too much of an action orientated film, but, I think the film makers in this instance, were doing the same.

Good - will probably watch it again sometime.

Author: Don Shroyer from United States
1 July 2012

I recently caught this film, billed as an action/drama/suspense flick, quite by accident, and immediately wondered why I saw no promo for it...

First off, it was nice to see Sean Bean, who has played some bad ass bad guys (eg. Patriot Games, Goldeneye), get to play the bad ass good guy, Ewan. No other actors were known to me, except for Charlotte Rampling, who was in the short Ghost Recon: Alpha. This was not a disadvantage as all the major and minor characters played their parts well. Rampling in particular did well as the pseudo "M" character.

The movie begins with more drama than action, and enough keeps going wrong, that you begin to wonder if Ewan still should be in this "game." But his ruthlessness (again, pseudo Bond) proves that he should. The plot is heavy with the middle east and terrorism situation and there is a considerable amount of socio-political undercurrent; there is plenty of ruthlessness to go around.

A fair amount of time is used to build suspense and establish motivations, all going to show once again how violence for revenge sake, or any sake for that matter, perpetuates. Pay attention to where there are flashbacks or you might get lost in the details.

The fight scenes seem graphic, not because of blood and gore, so much as for the sound effects. And when the action finally begins to build, it is punctuated with plot twists that underscore the complexities involved.

While ultimately enjoyable to view, the movie is ultimately less action and more drama, and the more realistic for that reason.

Sean Bean nails it!

Author: meldavies74 from United Kingdom
18 July 2012

For me, Sean (aka 'Ewan') puts on a fantastic performance, in a film where I was also very impressed with Peter Polycarpou (aka 'Nabil'). The romance between Ash and Kate felt very believable, not all actors/actresses can pull this job off.

It was a film that touches on a very serious subject, so for all you rom-com addicts, prob not one for you, lol! However, although a serious topic, you'll find some light hearted humour in parts of the film.

Have already recommended to friends and family, purchased on DVD myself, so go and watch too if you already haven't.

Overall, a great watch with some excellent action shots and twists and turns throughout.

Gripping , Fast paced , Great storyline

Author: nickinlondon from United Kingdom
17 March 2012

Well what can i say , from the first moment you are taken into a subject that every one has an opinion on. with it's fast paced action scenes and meaty story line you wont be disappointed. it's twists are as sharp as a roller coaster and the hidden context within the film is magic. a film made and directed all in the uk which is not seen much now days and it has stood out a mile away for me .this is the first film i have had the pleasure to see by this director i will be sure to look out for any future films he directs. Want a film that is fast paced , clever , and well thought out well this is one to watch. you will be asking your self the same questions that are shown in this film.

Spooks meets Bourne - doesn't get much better than this!

Author: raider66 from United Kingdom
5 March 2012

Like a lot of other people, I have had the pleasure of seeing this hard-hitting masterpiece at the Cannes Film festival last summer and, more recently at a special preview showing in Leicester Square and I have been blown away both times. The action flows as the plot thickens and you become more and more drawn into a world where the good guys can pass for the bad guys and the bad guys start to endear ever so slightly. Such is the richness of writing that your attention never wanders and you really don't know what will happen next. Hadi Hajaig weaves his story in a most engaging way that uses back story to fill in the blanks and even has time to throw in a helping of tongue in cheek humour ( look out for the rolling news ticker and you will see what I mean). Special mention for the amazing Tuppence Middleton as the vulnerable and fun loving girlfriend ...and the utterly brilliant Ahbin Galeya who turns in what can only be described as a career defining performance as the focal point of the film ..terrorist Ash.

Quite what the critics will make of it I do not know. The film is a Bourne influenced, helter= skelter, nothing -is – what- it- seems thriller, on one hand whilst remaining satisfying enough to please any die hardened Spooks fans. Categorisation is for the purists...this film is pure entertainment and will put political thrillers back on the radar again!

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]