IMDb > New Year's Eve (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Not a very promising 2012

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
13 December 2011

¨It only happens once a year: New Year's Eve. It's a time where the hopeless can be romantic.¨

New Year's Eve is director Garry Marshall's follow up to Valentine's Day. It has a very similar premise where you have a series of romantic stories that over the course of the film intertwine with each other, although this time the story takes place in New York instead of Los Angeles. Marshall worked once again with screenwriter Katherine Fugate and also teamed up with Ashton Kutcher, Jessica Biel, and Hector Elizondo who also worked with him in the previous film along with several other A-list actors such as Robert de Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Zac Efron, Halle Berry, Seth Meyers, Katherine Heigl, Sofia Vergara, John Lithgow, Sarah Jessica Parker, Abigail Breslin, Hillary Swank, Josh Duhamel, and rock star Jon Bon Jovi among others. It's probably easier to mention who isn't in this movie. Despite having so many great actors the story falls flat because it's just impossible to follow all the different stories in such a short period of time. It's like if Marshall was trying to jam in several romantic movies all into one and we never get to fully relate with any of the characters. There is no time to get inside any of the character's skin and know what they are thinking, they are all one dimensional. There were just too many stories and things going on, that the movie really lacks depth. There are some strong emotional moments and good dialogue scenes, but they are just too far spread out in a multi storyline. Some of the stories are interesting and would've been a much better movie on their own, but instead Marshall seems to take us from one story to another right when we were getting interested in the first one. It's too bad because there is a whole lot of talent involved in this project.

It's the last day of the year in New York and everybody's eyes are on the NY Times square ball which will drop at midnight to announce the arrival of the new year. Hillary Swank plays Claire Morgan, the vice president of the event and she's in charge of making sure the ball falls on time. She is a little nervous, but very excited because she always looks forward to this night. Her good friend Brendan (Ludicrous) is by her side making sure she remains calm as head of the police security personnel. They do experience some setbacks however when the ball gets jammed halfway up the pole. The only person who can help is Kominsky (Hector Elizondo), who they recently fired a few weeks ago. There are seven other stories going around that in some way or another connect with each other. There is Ingrid (Michelle Pfeiffer) who decides to quit her job in order to fulfill her New Year's resolution. She enlists the help of a messenger named Paul (Zac Efron) who decides to help her in exchange for exclusive tickets for a special party. Then there is Paul's roommate, Randy (Ashton Kutcher) who could care less about all the hype of New Year's, but ends up getting stuck in the elevator with his new neighbor Elise (Lea Michele) who has to rush to work because she's a backup singer for pop star sensation Jensen (Jon Bon Jovi). Jensen has a gig that night and is trying to make amends with an ex fiancée who he ran away from: Laura (Katherine Heigl) who happens to be in charge of the food catering in that same party. There are several other stories as well involving a couple expecting at a hospital (Seth Meyers and Jessica Biel), a man lying in his deathbed wishing he can see the ball drop one last time (Robert de Niro), another trying to make it in time to New York for a speech he has to give and a girl he might meet (Josh Duhamel), and a single mother (Sarah Jessica Parker) who wants to spend the night with her 15 year old daughter (Abigail Breslin) when all she wants is to go out with a boy from school she's interested in.

So there you had the extensive plot which deals with so many story lines that it seems a lifetime just to get to introduce each one. That is my major complaint about this movie which could have been better if dealing with two or three less story lines. Some of the performances were alright, but nothing memorable. I had a decent time with this movie, sometimes it's just fun to see all these stars together but with so many things going on it wasn't really worth it. The ending wasn't really what I was expecting either. Whereas in Valentine's Day I was surprised at the end with who one of the main characters was expecting to hook up with, in this one it just didn't really make much sense who Josh Duhamel's character was waiting all along for. Marshall should not get too preoccupied about enlisting so many actors for his next film, and just worry about recreating a good, strong story. It's too bad because I actually found some of the lines in the film quite heartwarming, like when Hillary Swank gives her televised speech. A forgettable movie, but perhaps the ladies will enjoy it since there are so many great actors involved.

A sure fire DVD seller for New Years

Author: ArtandJoyofMovies from United States
12 December 2011

Sweet film. Nice. Full of heartfelt messages about things that really matter in life. It is totally predictable and a bit schmaltzy throughout, but it sort of works. There are no great belly laugh scenes but lots of amusing chuckles. With the cast and subject of New Years Eve in New York, this film was built for the DVD market of years to come. People will be renting it for parties for the next dozen or more new years parties. This is a good, feel good, movie. It is not great film making or a great story though.

There is no real plot or singular story line. The movie is a dozen or more vignettes of various stories and lives on New Years Eve in New York City. It is a night you can fall in love, fall back in love or realize who you really love. Why? It doesn't matter. It just is.

The pinnacle of the film comes about half way through when Hilary Swank gives an impromptu speech about the status of the ball drop on Times Square. Just hours before midnight the ball gets stuck. She explains it is a metaphor for life and how we all need to stop before it is all over and reassess what truly matters...or something like that. It tries to explain why we are seeing all these little stories of lives being born, old men dying, lovers quarreling and teens trying to grow up. It falls way short of a finely woven quilt of a story, but it will make you feel warm all over. Watch this film with your spouse or lover and then go out for schnapps and hot chocolate and sign a bit. It is okay with me. No Oscar nominations here though. Pfeiffer looks awesome though...she always has and always will.

A Charming and Richly Captivating Holiday Movie

Author: tabuno from utah
19 December 2011

Under-appreciated and overlooked holiday extravaganza, this difficult to edit movie with so many story lines, successfully manages to combine various multitudes of characters with relevant understandable story lines into a delightful and meaningful holiday going experience. The overall and somehow imposing task of balancing all the different directions the script imposed on the director came together in a way that no story was underdeveloped nor overlooked. The drama and comedy were well balanced and carefully managed to avoid the easier route to cheap farce and instead maintained a more sophisticated, yet light hearted comedy tone. At the same time, the heart-ache wasn't overly dramatized, but seriously somber in its moments. The twists and turns in this movie were both predictable as well as surprising and with strong message components that avoided the brainless family comedy-drama. The only glaring weakness was the introverted office lady's compressed experience midway through the movie which seemed to be over too quickly as if the director was told to shorten the movie for the audience. Overall, hopefully this movie will be syndicated and replayed over and over again in years to come as it richly deserves. Like its predecessor, Valentine's Day, New Year's Eve adds to the experience and tender moments for an even captivating holiday cinematic sensation, a nice gift presented to the American audience, thank you.

Great Movie!

Author: Tobias van Rooijen from Wageningen, The Netherlands
11 December 2011

Dear readers,

Loved this movie. It was as great as Valentine's Day and all other movies with the same kind of storytelling. All the stories who are told in all kinds of different stories who collide in different ways.

I loved it because all the stories that were told were just amazing. The story was fun, tragic, romantic, sweet and also sad at some moments. But all these different aspects it just got better every moment.

With all the different celebrities playing the roles made it even better. I loved Lea Michelle and Bon Jovi who played there parts.

With all the beautiful scenes and scenery in the movie it was a really great movie.

Go to the cinema and watch this movie! You wont regret it.

Greets

A Complete Success (If the Goal Was to Create a Disaster)

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
26 December 2012

New Year's Eve (2011)

BOMB (out of 4)

Garry Marshall's latest puke-fest centers on a wide range of people, all of them dealing with either a bad relationship, death or being single. NEW YEAR'S EVE is without question one of the worst bombs one person is ever going to see and it's pretty clear from the first bits of dialogue that we've been given a movie without any sort of brain. In fact, I honestly felt myself getting dumber as this picture went along and it's clear that there's no reason for this thing to exist. The most confusing thing is wondering why so many stars, many of them Oscar-winners, would agree to do something like this. I certainly hope it was for the money. Let's just run down the actors who agreed to do this thing: Robert DeNiro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Halle Berry, Zac Efron, Cary Elwes, Alyssa Milano, Seth Myers, Jessica Biel, Katherine Heigl, Jon Bon Jovi, Sofia Vergara, Ashton Kutcher, James Belushi, Sarah Jessica Parker, Larry Miller, Penny Marshall, Hilary Swank, Hector Elizondo, John Lithgow and Matthew Broderick. Should they be ashamed of themselves? Perhaps but the real villain here is the screenplay, which is one of the worst I've ever seen in a major Hollywood production. No comedy. No romance. No drama. Some of the worst written and most annoying characters you're ever going to see. Even worse is that many of the stars are put in roles that they're not fit for and most of the relationships are flat as there's no chemistry between the stars. NEW YEAR'S EVE is a complete mess of a movie and it's just downright shocking that anyone could find any sort of entertainment in it. It's so sad to see many great films being overlooked while stuff like this gets made.

Better than I expected

Author: rivertam26 from United States
17 September 2012

I kind of wanted to not like this movie. I fought for a long time I was still angry over going to see the awful Valentine's day in theaters. So another ensemble comedy centered around a holiday didn't sound so great. Well I was wrong not to say this is a great film by any means but a monumental, vast improvement over that other film that shall not be named again. If you've seen the trailer it's exactly what you'd expect a bunch of stories that link up in surprising ways on the holiday. Some of the stories work better than others I loved Sarah Jessica Parker and Chloe Moretz Grace mother daughter story, I liked the way the Hilary Swank story concluded but wasn't a big fan throughout the film, I liked the story with Ashton Kutcher and the super talented Lea Michelle and for the first time in a long time I thought Halle Berry did a solid job and I liked her storyline as well. Less effective were the Jessica Biel pregnancy, the Ludicrous, the Katherine Heigl and Bon Jovi and the Michelle Pfeiffer and Zack Effron story lines.Although the last one definitely had its moments. But surprisingly after a slow burn for the most of the film it kicks into high gear for its last quarter and I found myself emotionally moved by the way all of it turns out. The film explores heart ache, heart break, magical reunions and other culminations even though they feel a bit rushed in some places. Although there's no real reason for the film to have been made and I'm not too sure there is even a real point to all of this besides Josh Duhamels narration slightly forced wrap up at the end. Still it's plausible enough to past the time and maybe an annual viewing on the title holiday.

snore me a bore

Author: emsey_j from Australia
15 April 2012

Oh my god... probably the 3rd time in my life i've actually skipped scenes.. i was fast fording through half of of this movie and ended up not watching. do not waste your time.. sad i did.

a few of these stories could probably be made into movies with their own story lines.

Katherine Heigl and Bon Jovi was only a storyline used a million times before. NO just NO the only good thing about that was Sofia Vergaria part she was hilarious!!

Zac Efron and Michelle Phiefer.. are you kidding me.. i don't know what they did to her but shes looking a lot older.. totally understand Zach is going for older roles but to remember him as still being middle age and see him with a much older lady and what looked like a love story.. EW

Didn't understand De Niro part in the movie.. Halle berry? why? why? why?

josh Duhamel storyline was a bore as well only good part was toe truck driver

the two ladies in hospital to win prize money wasn't that interesting but could make a good movie on its own

Abigail Breslin look WAY to done up to be 15.. she should look natural or have her as 18 or something.. didn't understand SJP and the kid going off on their own when told not to.. who hasn't heard that before.

Ashton and Michelle was an OK storyline would make its own movie good they were a good pair

the other main characters i didn't get..

if you are going to put that many celebrities in a movie make all couples be main celebrities or none.. didn't know who half the others were..

over all a very dull and boring movie.. at least it was only a rental fee not cinema cost or i would have walked out.

Don't BOTHER!!!

Not good, but not bad either

Author: Arcturus36 from Vancouver, Canada
11 December 2011

I would normally give this one a miss, but I had theater vouchers about to expire. A lousy rating and the idea of De Niro in another ensemble cast (What Just Happened?) didn't inspire confidence. A romcom with neither much in the way of romance nor comedy, the film has the advantage of being set in New York City on New Year's Eve. You could hardly ask for a better setting.

Now to the question of whether they managed to make a failure of it, notwithstanding. Not to my mind. The film was at worst mildly embarrassing; at best, befittingly energetic with a fairly well-crafted denouement. Mediocrity is seldom this enjoyable. Lea Michele can sing too! I intend to see Valentine's Day.

The 10's are roughly doubling the 1's as of this posting.

Give Credit Where Credit is Due

Author: stephenbirch from United States
26 December 2011

You have read and no doubtedly will read criticism about character development from this movie. What I believe is that Garry Marshall has created a new genre for film. Think of this and his others like it as vignettes or a collection of short stories. This is the genius of his innovative way of storytelling.

Since when do we measure a genre accurately called romcoms with an Oscar lense? Why must every movie need novel caliber character development by critics? Why do we need thirty minutes of reel to tell us that Diniro will die at the end or has regrets in life? We do not, nor do we need twenty more minutes to tell us that Breslin's character is a good kid, etc... We get this from using our common sense that other filmmakers do not give us credit for. Marshall brilliantly tells us all that needs to be told in a short period a la Thurber's Walter Mitty.

So people need to stop evaluating every movie for its measure against the greats and watch it for what it is and revel in the surprise genius Marshall gives us - comedy and whimsical, light-hearted romantic stories presented to us in a collection of stories on film.

A modern fairy tale

Author: Tomislav Vukovic from Croatia
19 December 2011

First of all, everyone should keep in mind what kind of movie this is. People who are not fond of romantic comedies probably won't like it, but on the other hand, those who expect to have fun will surely find many issues to enjoy. Of course, don't expect a masterpiece. Those who say the movie is a little shallow should consider it was not meant to be a drama or a documentary. It was simply made to be a hit! I would describe it as a modern fairy tale, with fast-moving action and great actors. Just like all fairy tales, occasionally it is illogical and unbelievable, it is full of clichés and stereotypes, but these all suit the movie, in my opinion. The message of hope and love is what matters here. This is a film that made me feel good after I left the cinema, and therefore it was worth watching. Recently we've been bombarded with catastrophes and end-of-the-world movies, which make New Year's Eve like a nice refreshment with its positive attitude towards life.

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]