IMDb > This Means War (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
This Means War

This Means War More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Reese Witherspoon breaks the rules

Author: stevenball2 from United States
17 March 2012

One of the cardinal rules of film for any actress is: Never make a movie with a leading man who is better looking than you are. She made that mistake in WATER FOR ELEPHANTS. Her leading man in that movie was both better looking and YOUNGER. In THIS MEANS WAR Reese Witherspoon again breaks the rule with two leading men who are both better looking and younger (or at least younger looking). Chris Pine and Tom Hardy are terrific and don't need a leading lady as long as they have each other. Kind of like George Clooney and Brad Pitt in Oceans 11, 12 & 13. They also don't need potty mouth, over the hill non-actor Chelsea Handler who brings down the movie every time she appears on screen. Chelsea Handler a 40 something "comedian" is famous for bullying a 20 something unwed mother from Alaska. I've read that in order to get a PG-13 rating they had to excise some of Ms. Handler's dialogue. Not to worry, in order to get their money back her scenes will probably be included in the Special Features section of the DVD. Thank God for DVDs so you can fast forward through the scenes with Ms. Witherspoon & Ms. Handler and concentrate on the scenes with Mr. Pine and Mr. Hardy. I never thought I would see Tom Hardy in a ROMCOM but again he surpasses expectations.

Great fun, lots of laughs and gorgeous men....

Author: Flick Chick from Australia
6 February 2012

I was lucky enough to be invited to a screening in Sydney of This Means War.

FDR (Pine) and Tuck (Hardy, with his English accent in tact….YAY!!) are CIA agents and best friends. They would, literally, take a bullet for one another. When they discover they are dating the same woman, Lauren (Witherspoon), all bets are off. They decide to let Lauren decide who she wants to be with and….well boys will be boys.

The movie gets off to a cracking pace with a very cool opening scene. We have impossibly handsome CIA agents sauntering across the room targets in sight, said targets batting eyelashes for all their worth, bad guys showing up and ruining the oh-so-suave pick up lines. Then comes the CIA stuff. We have helicopters full of bad guys and cash, guns firing, glass breaking, slick spy sliding across the floor while firing gun moves, tall buildings being leapt from, tall buildings being thrown from, thugs, more guns. YEAH!!! Alas, this has all been a monumental screw up and our agents are grounded. Yep desk bound for the foreseeable future. And they are bored, bored, bored.

Enter Lauren, a gorgeous consumer products tester/reviewer who winds up dating both FDR and Tuck. Both men are very different personalities and how she ends up dating both of them is charming and genuinely funny. Lauren only falls for one guy initially.

Speaking of funny, Chelsea Handler is absolutely hilarious in this movie. Laugh out loud hilarious. She plays Trish, the perfect rude, crude and no nonsense counterpart to Witherspoon's sweet and slightly wounded Lauren. The scenes with Lauren and Trish are some of the movie's funniest with Handler throwing down the one liners with perfect comedic timing.

When FDR and Tuck discover they are both dating Lauren, they do the gentlemanly and honorable thing…….they set about sabotaging each other's love life. This is where the real fun begins.

Remember how I said these men were bored? Well bored men with the entire CIA arsenal of technologies, gimmicks and let's face it, really cool stuff at their disposal promises just one thing…..great fun. Covert teams are selected, covertly of course, and as they say, hilarity ensures.

Both men have their qualities, both men have their flaws. I couldn't choose who I was cheering for. When I started wanting one to get the girl, I changed my mind with the next scene and wanted the other to win her. Even their teams start to become invested in their little side operation, providing some very funny moments.

This is a great, fun, funny and romantic movie. The pace never lets up and the laughs keep coming. It has enough chick stuff to draw out some genuine awwwws from the audience and enough CIA agent/boy stuff to keep the fellas more than entertained. I will be going to see it again once it's at the cinemas.

This Means War opens February 14 (in Australia) and would be the most perfect movie for Valentine's Day. Even if you don't have a Valentine this year, get a group of friends together and go see it anyway…..plus you won't have to share your popcorn with anyone.

Oh and yes, Lauren does pick her true love…..

Fortunately it's just a movie

Author: Johan Dondokambey from Indonesia
4 September 2014

The story kind of begins quite convincingly to get the action part going. But it turns to be kind of lame as the transition to the introduction of Reese Whitherspoon's character is made so bluntly. There's no real balance between the action and the comedy. And having that the comedy doesn't fare really good just makes this movie a near miss of an entertainment. The movie tries so hard to be funny, but I don't really get the laugh anywhere on this movie. Well, the concept of state intelligence agents using the agency's resources for their own gain is quite dangerous for me, fortunately this is just a movie. Despite the poor screenplay and directing, I quite enjoyed the acting. Chris Pine and Tom Hardy did quite well portraying the pop culture perspective of intelligence agents. It's quite a shame that they both don't have the same height. Reese Witherspoon did also quite nice, although I must say that she never quite get the comedy in her scenes to be funny here.

kind'a disappointing

Author: rjennica from United States
15 October 2012

I purchased the Bluray because Reese was in it. I was excited at the prospect of having a good laugh. However, after the exciting beginning, I found myself comparing scripts and situations to other movies by Reese. In one scene, there's a tirade, "FINE! FINE! FINE!" That was in "Sweet Home Alabama". Other similar scripts and situations compare with "Legally Blonde" and "Heaven Can Wait". It's like each of her films borrows from the previous one. Not a bad formula, but certainly not very original. I think this was her worst movie ever, and I have ALL of her movies. I can't imagine her kids seeing it anytime soon without thinking, "Gosh mom! Why did you make it???" I think Chelsea Handler had a lot to do with it. Yuk! And, of course, $12 million dollars.

Thank God I didn't pay at the cinema to see this movie!

Author: feudalserfer from United Kingdom
16 July 2012

This film had all the ingredients of being entertaining, fun and engaging. But it misses the mark somehow. It should have been my kind of movie, but it wound up annoying me.

Three great young leads (to someone of my advancing years Reese Witherspoon is still young, though I do think she should be looking towards heavier roles now, as she can actually act), a reasonably amusing premise and the opportunity for a few decent comedy action scenes.

Having rented the DVD I didn't see the three letters that would have saved me the outlay of both time and money: McG, ruiner of the Terminator franchise, amongst other sins. His direction is about as subtle as a brick through a window and has all the lightness of touch of a gorilla in a glass factory.

That said, Hardy and Pine make a decent buddy partnership and Witherspoon is enticing enough to believe that two best mates could actually go to war over her affections. However, we never even get past two dimensions with the clunky dialogue and clichéd photofit characters, including a baddie actually called Heinrich, and an annoying slutty best friend (Chelsea Handler). Worse still, the gorgeous Angela Bassett is sinfully underused.

I don't mind any of the above at all. After all I enjoyed True Lies, in which I believed yet again, Arnold Schwarzenegger, was a regular American guy and not an Austrian body builder in any way. But This Means War is a wasted opportunity, and at the end of the movie, I would have been quite happy for the three of them to plunge over the edge of the precipice with the stereotyped baddie.

Near miss, rather than Epic Fail, but the latter can often be amusing in a way This Means War just was not. I hope the next movie I see Hardy, Pine or Witherspoon in is more worthy of their abilities.

Romantic spy comedy, but you have to look hard to find the comedy...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
27 May 2012

I had expected somewhat a bit more from this movie.

We follow two CIA agents, FDR (played by Chris Pine) and Tuck (played by Tom Hardy) who both turn out to be dating the same girl, Lauren (played by Reese Witherspoon). And in their attempts to win the heart of Lauren, the two friends have to keep each other in check, as to not let the competitor win the heart of the woman.

The story in "This Means War" was entertaining, yes, but it was so implausible that it was painful to watch. Never heard of CIA agents using government funds, man-hours and equipment to spy (or do surveillance) on someone they want to date, and in order to keep the other from going to far. And because the agents were 'grounded', they were just allowed to come and go (not to mention do) what they pleased? They didn't have to do any actual work? Right, where do I sign up for that job? That whole concepts was just so far-fetched that it was hard to buy into. Don't get me wrong, though, because the movie is good entertainment, just don't look at it from a realistic point of view.

The people they had cast for "This Means War" were actually doing great jobs with their roles, though the movie just suffered horribly from having too much of an unrealistic approach for its execution.

"This Means War" had surprisingly few laughs in it, which was a disappointment. The action scenes, however, were quite well executed, with a lot of usage of the 'slowing down the action'-sequences. It looked good, and it worked well.

Being a hybrid of romance, action and spy-movie, "This Means War" does provide fun entertainment for a single evening, though I doubt the movie has sufficient contents to sustain being watched a second time. I know that I, personally, will not be making a second watching of it, the whole unrealistic storyline just didn't work out for me.

This Means Bore

Author: Jason Kleeberg from United States
22 February 2012

My bias...

Loves: Action movies. Likes: Tom Hardy Dislikes: Most romantic comedies Hates: Reese Witherspoon

I went into this movie with low expectations. First off, it's got Reese Witherspoon, who I can't stand. She's annoying, smarmy and unattractive. Second, it's directed by McG, who for my tastes, misses in theaters (the Charlie's Angels series, Terminator Salvation). That being said, I know McG has the potential to entertain me, having produced one of my favorite TV shows of all time, the guilty pleasure known as Fastlane. My expectations were checked at the door.

Chris Pine and Tom Hardy play off of each other quite well. Tom Hardy I bought as a CIA agent, in terms of attitude and build. Pine, not as much. Reese Witherspoon is just kind of...there...as the love interest. The story is fairly cookie-cutter like one may expect going in...two CIA agents accidentally kill a bad guy. That bad guy's brother lives, and plots revenge. In the meantime, the two CIA agents start dating the same girl, causing friction in their relationship. The story is nothing new, but is adequate.

They are marketing this movie as an action/romantic comedy. The action in the movie is done very poorly - mostly quick cuts and off screen bullet wounds (for examples of how action scenes should be shot, see Haywire). The action set pieces are few and short. There are a few laughs, although the severely over the top character Chelsea Handler plays gets old quick. The ending of the movie is quite ridiculous, and makes little sense...sadly, I saw what was going to happen about a mile away, so if you see a lot of movies, you can see where the movie is heading.

I don't regret seeing this movie, but I probably won't watch it again. The action isn't gratifying enough and the comedy isn't funny enough. You will forget about this movie within 24 hours of seeing it.

Score: 5/10

a great date night for fun!

Author: angela-e-gallant from Delta, BC
15 February 2012

Saw an advance showing for Valentine's Day. This had everyone laughing with enthusiasm all throughout! I don't normally enjoy Rom/Com/Action flicks because they usually use too many corny cliché's poorly. This uses them, but they pulled it off!! You know what's gonna happen next, but it's done with such hilarity that you just don't mind at all! It's freaking hilarious! Mix True Lies with any movie that pits 2 friends against each other vying for one gal and you got this movie.

Acting is believable and relaxed. No one is drop dead gorgeous or playing on looks alone, but they certainly are easy on the eyes and lots of body language consistent with the mood and action. Lots of great interactions.

If you want your date to laugh but still be in the mood for romance, this is the movie to take them to! Well done to the last scene!

Morally and Ethically Unsound

Author: Michael Ballard (mballardc32) from Australia
6 November 2014

What destroyed this movie for me was the dialogue that degraded the term relationship. Morally and ethically this movie disgusted me. Especially in regard to the best friend of Lauren, Trish. She stated that dating two guys was perfectly fine. She stated that having sex with both guys could help Lauren choose between them. She then offered to sleep with them if she wouldn't, even though she was married. Her character made me punch my television. Morally and ethically disgusting. When both men meet in the restaurant and begin to brawl, Lauren is in the bathroom. After she returns to seem them lying on the ground discussing their friendship she thinks she has been played. She says the next sentence, which made me jump out of my seat and hurl abuse at her through the screen... "I trusted you". Well excuse me, you were the one that wanted to have sex with them to choose one. You were the one that implemented an affair. You were the one that caused the brawl. There is only one word for her character and it can be defined as being promiscuous with multiple people.

There were some positives though, Tom Hardy, Til Schweiger and Chris Pine are amazing at their characters. It has a happy ending. The action is pretty good. These facts saved this movie from being a total flop and getting a rating of 2.

Completely forgettable and disappointing

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
11 October 2014

When I first saw the trailers for this it looked like it would be a pretty good movie. When I managed to catch it on TV however I was disappointed. This Means War is not particularly funny or romantic or action packed, its just average on all counts.

Chris Pine and Tom Hardy play two of the world's deadliest CIA operatives best friends and inseparable as partners, until they discover that they've fallen in love with the same woman, then all bets are off.

Pine and Hardy are definitely nice to look at and have good chemistry together but I had a real hard time believing that they'd be fighting over an ageing Reese Witherspoon -sorry but she's just too old for this role even though she did a decent enough job. Chelsea handler was quite funny as her cocktail wielding BFF and there were a few fun moments but a completely forgettable movie.