IMDb > This Means War (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
This Means War

This Means War More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 24: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Predictable, but surprisingly entertaining

Author: Helen
9 February 2013

I had no interest in seeing this when it was first advertised, but I caught it on TV the other day and I was actually pleasantly surprised. It was an hour and a half of total ridiculousness: spy versus spy, going to increasingly extreme lengths to win over Lauren (Reese Witherspoon), but it worked because this movie definitely didn't take itself seriously and the actors worked well together. There was great chemistry between Chris Pine ("FDR" is a silly name) and Lauren, between Tuck (Tom Hardy) and Lauren, and - most importantly - between Pine and Tuck. Chelsea Handler did a nice job as Lauren's friend Trish, the CIA agents Tuck and Pine exploit to aid their campaigns added a hilarious element to the movie, and overall everyone worked well together to make this truly funny.

That's not to say that this totally revolutionized the romcom genre; it was fairly predictable. Of course these two friends try to remain friends as they pursue the same woman and promise to be gentlemen about it, but of course they both get out of control and then get mad at one another and then make up at the end because c'mon, they're best friends! Also, there is no satisfying way to end this kind of story. Obviously they both can't end up with Lauren, but one of them has to, otherwise you've entirely wasted the movie's relationship development (as opposed to only half-wasting it). I think they do a pretty good job of not letting you know which one she chooses until near the end, although I definitely guessed correctly well before the "big reveal," and there is sort of a consolation prize for the one she doesn't choose. Some humor in the very last scene makes the happy ending less sappy: it got a chuckle instead of an eye roll from me, so that's a success by romcom standards.

There really weren't very many action scenes (the "spy" element was essentially all in the gadgetry and invasion of each other's privacy) and the editing was a little weird at times - I kept thinking "now's where they go to commercial" and then remembering that this was a movie. That's about all you'll get from me about technical things, though; all I can say is that nothing was overly distracting from my perspective.

If you're looking for something light and funny and fairly brainless, see This Means War, it's a lot of fun.

Escapist wish fullfilment - just what I wanted!

Author: wireless_emotions from Germany
12 January 2013

From reviews here I see that the humor in this movie might be a hit and miss, but I enjoyed the movie very much. It's quick paced, filled with gorgeous people, has nice flavourful background moments and is, first and foremost designed to give you a happy ending.

Suspend logic for a moment, it's very much a wish fullfillment rom-com and a spy-themed buddy comedy. An interesting combination, and pretty much what you need sometimes.

Of course it's superficial, of course it's silly, of course the humor sometimes falls flat, but there are good moments in it too and if you do watch it for the escapist fluff factor, you're well served.

It's ridiculous, but if you accept that, you may have some fun

Author: griffolyon12 from United States
5 December 2012

This Means War tells the story of two CIA, James Bond-lite agents (Tom Hardy and Chris Pine), who fall in love with the same girl (Reese Witherspoon), and use all of their skills in espionage to try and win her over. This is by no means a highly intelligent movie, nor is it at all plausible. It's good, clean fun, and the actors seemed to have a blast making it, in particular Hardy and Pine. There is genuine chemistry between Tom Hardy and Chris Pine, so much so that I hope they do another, better movie together, because they are quite funny playing off one another. So in all honesty, you could do a lot worse if you're looking for a movie that both you and your girlfriend can agree on this date night.

I give This Means War a 6 out of 10!

Don't see what the complaints are about

Author: sarakitty05
23 July 2012

I was reading the comments and I'm disappointed to see that not many people enjoyed it.

The movie is not supposed to be taken seriously, nor realistically. If you sit down and analyze it, of course it is going to seem creepy and illegal. But if you take it from a romantic-comedy and friendship sort of movie, that's when it is enjoyable.

Two best friends, Tuck and FDR, end up falling for the same girl, Lauren. They both end up dating her, and claim "may the best man win". I don't feel he did, but that's just my opinion.

Overall the movie, with its high speed chases, romantic dates and ever-tested (yet hilarious at times) friendship between Tuck and FDR, is quite good. Apart from a random CIA chase that isn't really explained and serves only as the means to explain how the two male protagonists meet, watching one friend try and sabotage the other proves more hilarious than it sounds. Chris Pine plays a playboy and non serious FDR well, although I gotta say, I didn't find myself rooting for him, because I don't feel his actions were worthy of reward (lying, philandering...). Rather, my vote was for Tom Hardy (tuck), who with his charming, gentlemanly, British attractive self would make a much more suitable partner and choice. He plays him extremely well, and this is the movie where I first fell in love with the man (The dark knight rises would further that love). Reese Witherspoon and Chelsea Handler were also great, but honestly, I was so focused on the bromance that they were just a side thought.

Overall, this movie is too be taken lightly. Get too hunkered down in the politics of it and it becomes nothing but a sadistic, creepy movie. It's not supposed to highly the fact that they are taking certain measures to get a girl; rather, its supposed to represent the question: would you go all the way to get a girl, if it meant sabotaging and eventually losing your most cherished friendship?

Smart & Fun Entertainment

Author: collisanthony from Trinidad and Tobago
15 July 2012

Decided to finally download this movie on a lame Sunday afternoon.Honestly i did not make much of this when i saw the trailer but i said to myself it probably wouldn't hurt to see what this movie was about and since i had nothing to lose i gave it a try.. to my surprise it was quite entertaining on all levels,the story is plain and it had my interest from start to finish.

This movie is a simple case of two men whom meets a girl but has the dilemma of friendship at stake.The story carries on and with an additional of action romance and comedy as each guy tries to give their all and use charm wit game whatever you wanna call it to woe this woman.All in all i think its a great movie if you just want to get through a long boring day probably good for a rental as well. I'll give it a Grade B- but is definitely worth a try.

Good but not that good..!!!

Author: Omk-r Eichh from Goa, India
18 May 2012

I watched this movie just after watching Thor... as i had to catch the Avengers n it was the only character left to see... Anyways.. so basically i wanted to watch a light hearted one after watching a rather serious one.

the film starts off well enough and i did have a few laughs.... but as soon as the so called "This Means War" plot begins..... its just free fall from there..... although Reese is the only saving grace all through the movie.. but that doesn't help much. The Movie basically Lacks a clear plot and ends up being a non moralistic comedy at the end.... Still not sure why Reese's Character chooses Chris' character.. just because they went to banggkkkok first...??? well you decide to yourself....

well.. want to watch a way better movie .... I recommend "Crazy, Stupid, Love"

Made for fun, not for critics

Author: JohnRayPeterson from Montreal, Canada
5 May 2012

This movie was highly predictable, flash and glitter, but despite all that, fun to watch. It has little redeeming value in way of script or story but the scenes are executed flawlessly and lots of money was put into it; this accounts for the very poor critics' scoring and rather satisfying audience scoring in contrast. I enjoyed it for little more reasons than the director's sense of timing and a change of subject matter (after a few heavy flicks, a light whatever this is was welcomed).

There are three key characters at play here: Lauren, FDR Foster and Tuck, respectively played by Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Tom Hardy. The other actors with some degree of screen time are Til Schweiger and Chelsea Handler; the former I'm familiar with, am usually satisfied with his performances and is well cast, while the latter I know little about and is also well cast based on this movie's performance. As for the three main actors, I never much cared for Witherspoon and this movie has done nothing to change my indifference; I enjoyed Pine's performance in both the 2009 Star Trek motion picture in which he played the lead, as well as the performance in this movie, and as for Tom Hardy, I'm simply a fan based on nine movies I've seen him in (Warrior, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Inception, Bronson, RocknRolla, Sucker Punch, Layer Cake and Black Hawk Down). If you watch the 2011 movie Warrior and don't count yourself as a fan, don't say you are when he gets nominated or even wins an Oscar one day. So now you know why I bother to watch it after reading the outline.

Romantic comedy with a spy-twist

Author: Adam_West_as_Batdan from Edinbruhhh
24 July 2014

I expected more of a spy action comedy but really it's a romantic comedy disguised as that...

I mean it's not as cheesy as a lot of romcoms but a romcom none the less...

The acting is alright, never was a big Chris Pine fan but I guess he does what's required of him which is being a "pretty boy" who always gets the girl...

Tom Hardy is slightly better his character is more likable I suppose, he's sort of the underdog of the two...

Reese Witherspoon is pretty charming throughout the movie and her friend (played by Chelsea Handler) provides some fun moments with her straight forward in your face personality...

There's a little action in the beginning and a action scene to end it all, in between though not so much, although the 2 men do get physical with one each other at some points it's not enough to suffice a action- buff who simply's in it for the action...

It's alright fluffy entertainment

Implausible but fun

Author: taybe130 from United States
20 March 2012

I watched this movie only because I love Tom Hardy and I really wanted to see him in a romcom. Reese is not bad either. She used to be my favorite romcom queen, but ever since i saw her in "how do you know" i kinda lost interest in her. And now this!

And now, to the film...

This film is fun but very implausible. The fact that two CIA agents would go great length to win the girl of their dreams is ridiculous. The wire tapping and secret cameras were silly stunts. There's just no logic to their actions and not enough reliable evidence to why she fell in love with one of them. It's shallow.

Chelsea was funny. The only problem i had with her is her instant change of perspective towards the end. There was no scene that showed why she felt the way she did. It just threw me off.

Overall, I can only watch this once cuz it doesn't evoke any feelings from me. Just too silly and not enough chemistry.

Sursprisingly good after what I read.

Author: Raphael Weber
16 March 2012

I actually wasn't going to watch this movie since I saw some marginal reviews about it, but after I was asked I couldn't really say no and had to hope for it to be at least somewhat good. Thankfully it didn't disappoint me.

The idea of two best friends falling in love with the same woman is definitely not new but it is very well executed and the fact that they are both agents changes the dynamic quite a bit, because they can use observation.

The characters are certainly klischées so are a lot of the jokes but I don't mind that at all since it was to be expected.

Its good movie for an enjoyable time.