IMDb > Soul Surfer (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Soul Surfer

Soul Surfer More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Awesome as the biggest wave!

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
21 April 2011

Some amazing cgi effects and a great performance by AnnaSophia Robb make this a terrific film. Bethany Hamilton's courageous story will inspire anyone, even someone who can't swim. Just watching this film made me want to go to the beach. Bethany loses an arm to shark, but not her courage and fighting spirit. I hope Robb doesn't make Lindsey Lohan's foolish mistakes because she is one young actress with promise. Just watching her touching and courageous performance made me forget all about Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. Dennis Quaid and Helen Hunt also shine as her loving parents. SPOILER ALERT, I was disappointed in the end when Bethany lost the contest, but she proved that you don't have to win trophies to be a true champion.

Wonderful family movie, waiting for more

Author: petersonmlp from United States
12 April 2011

I know that this movie has not had good reviews, but please keep in mind that the acting, cinematography, and special effects are all secondary to the actual true story line. If you let yourself enter the story, as the father, mother, brother, sister, friend, etc. you will will be moved. I went to please my wife, but I actually liked it and was gripped with many emotions. It is a very family friendly movie, appropriate for teenagers and above. I took my 3 teenagers to it and they liked it as well. I wish Hollywood would come out with more inspiration movies like this. I am telling all my friends and relatives to go see it.

Very inspiring

Author: Bob Hogue from United States
11 April 2011

I went to this movie because I knew the background, and I wanted to see a film based in a Hawaii. I was amazed how good it was once it got going.

The beginning is a little cheesy and overly-preachy and yes there are a few clichés, but once the shark attack happens (not a spoiler, since that's movie's premise), Soul Surfer takes you on an emotional journey that is redeeming in every way.

I was deeply moved---and most all the audience must have felt the same way because they stayed all the way to end of the credits. I would strongly recommend this movie!

An inspiring movie about having heart, determination , and will.

Author: Taylor Skye from United States
21 April 2011

Soul Surfer was an excellent movie about a thirteen year old who after losing an arm came back. I saw the movie with my mom and we both cried during the whole thing. All the actors and actresses were extremely good. Even Carrie Underwood. The tsunami in Thailand part really added to the movie. The surfing was excellent and so was the end and credits with pictures of the real people was amazing. This film teaches a lot about having good sportsmanship. Through out the film you could tell that even though she was having a hard time she was pushing through. Even though I'm Christan this was the first Christan film I've seen apart from my church classes. I would highly recommend this movie for anyone. It is truly an inspirational story.

True story of amazing courage. Loved it!

Author: gmmeyer7 from United States
13 April 2011

One of the best movies I have seen this year. Very well done! The movie will bring tears of sadness, as well of tears of joy. It is so refreshing to see young people portrayed in a positive light! The actual girl (the movie is based on) is a great example for the youth of this decade. This is a movie that makes you think. It is inspirational. It gives people with disabilities or tragedies hope. If you have had a tragedy in your life, or know someone who has, this movie is for you. The portrayal of their personal story is VERY tastefully done. You will leave the theater challenged. In addition, it shows the importance of not giving up. I would highly recommend this movie to everyone.

Nothing like Blue Crush!

Author: polynsneyes
11 April 2011

Someone said it was & I can't figure out WHY! (??) -Just because both have girls' surfing with their friends, there's a surf competition & a workout regimen- doesn't mean both movies are alike! Geez! -The story lines aren't even CLOSE to being the same ('a hs drop-out, surfer bum- jilted over by NFL jock, trying to win a surf competition to prove she's not a failure' vs. 'a teen's persevering spirit to continue living a dream doing what she loves the most- despite her arm being bitten off by a 14' Tiger Shark.' Um, yeah- not even CLOSE to being the same! Plus the surfing is way, WAY better!

1 -The stars of the movie are actually surfing (& actual footage/surf scenes were shot by the real-life, surfer (ie, Alana Blanchard, Bethany Hamilton, etc)); 2- There's real, life-long lessons (excellent sportsmanship, perseverence, not being afraid, recognizing that no matter whats' going on with YOU, there's always someone else who has it worse, accepting whats' happened & moving forward, & keeping the faith); 3- I took my 8 yo daughter to see it and even though the shark attack scene & Bethany getting pummeled by the waves scared her, she understood the premise of the story; and lastly, 4- from a parents' point of view, Soul Surfer was terrifying, heartbreaking, emotional, touching, inspiring and loving- all at the same time. I (did) cry through more than 1/2 of the movie. I thought Helen Hunt & Dennis Quaid were PERFECT!

We both loved it! It's so nice to FINALLY see a movie, totally WORTH seeing! -LOVED the actual footage of Bethany & her family at the end!

-"IF" the movie ended w/a an amateur surfer-chick, w/a cheesy-grin, air-pumping her fist, while standing-up straight (and perfectly still), on a ridiculously, technologically, computerized wave background from Pipeline, I'd totally say it was like Blue Crush.

But having said that- it was so NOTHING like Blue Crush!...

Only reason why I gave it 9 out of 10 stars is because I think they could've cast someone better than Carrie Underwood to play the role of the mentor. To me, she wasn't believable. AnnaSophia really played the part- I just think Carrie could've done the same.

Absolutely worth the watch!!! Uplifting feel-good movie!!!

Author: rdrnnrdys from United States
10 April 2011

I have been following Bethany Hamilton's story since she was first attacked at 13. Through the media, over the years I have found her and her family to be incredibly consistent, down to earth loving people, who have remained committed to each other and their faith.

This movie is based on Bethany's story. Though some people may not appreciate the light Christian undertone, I think it is very important to the movie story line as it is where Bethany drew her strength and hope from thus it is an integral part of her journey.

The MAIN focus of the movie is how she responded and overcame adversity. She was able to come to recognize that though the shark attack was a life defining moment it was not what defined her.

Bethany is an phenomenal young woman, role model and her story worth sharing.

This is a family friendly movie and I will be buying for my video library when it becomes available.

absolutely amazing

Author: Fever from St. Louis
10 April 2011

Every so often, a movie comes out that breaks away from the everyday sex, violence, blood & language to which we have become desensitized. This is that movie. I took my 10 year old to see it and we cried at least half a dozen times. This is the true and powerful story of Bethany, a young surfer who loses her left arm in a tragic shark attack. What makes this movie great is how she deals with her loss and how it makes her a stronger person. She comes from a religious family and it was so nice to see Christianity being celebrated in a movie, and showing how, "Through Him, all things are possible". Though she ends up asking the understandable "Why God?", she learns that through faith, family and friends, she can use her disability to not only still do what she loves, but teach others about perseverance. Her Christian friend Sarah, is a great source of comfort after the accident and her family is always supportive. It was interesting that when the movie started, a pair of teens were next to me. After the church service scene, they asked "Aw, man. Are these people Jesus freaks?" I smiled to myself and said nothing. By the end of the movie, they were in tears and applauding. I truly wish there were more movies like this out there. It's been a while since I've been able to take my daughter to a movie and not spend half the film covering up either her eyes or her ears. This is a MUST SEE for everyone.

Inspirational story of the human spirit triumphing over tragedy.

Author: bobandmichelle-642-185162 from United States
9 April 2011

I was thoroughly entertained and very much enjoyed this movie.

I was a bit skeptical about the quality of the movie when watching the trailer because of the focus on the Christian message. I thoroughly support movies having a religious message - whether it be Christian, Muslim, Buddhist - whatever you like - however, most Christian movies have been unable to get decent funding in the past and the quality of the movies have suffered (ie. Fireproof & To Save a Life).

Soul Surfer is different than the other aforementioned films. At the beginning of the film the director sets up the story of a close knit family that enjoys practicing their faith together.

After Bethany, an rising star in the Hawaii semi-professional surfing circuit, loses her left arm in a shark attack, the families faith and passion for life gets them through the tragic circumstances.

The quality of the cinematography is good and the story is well acted by Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt and Anna Sophia Robb. Carrie Underwood's performance, however, left me cringing a bit and wishing she would stick to what she is absolutely spectacular at - singing.

I was moved and inspired by the message of this movie and would recommend it highly. I think it would be especially inspiring for young teens and would demonstrate that anything is possible even through the toughest of circumstances.

Uncommon Bravery

Author: clarkj-565-161336 from Canada
8 April 2011

Soul Surfer just opened today in Toronto, and I must say it really moved me. Basically it is about what is really meaningful in life. That is coming to grips with your destiny, family, community and sharing. Not to mention uncommon bravery which inspires others and gives them a reason to carry on. I have always loved surfing movies, there is something awe inspiring about the ocean. Crystal Voyager, Point Break, Riding Giants. Surfers are unselfish people. Years ago I rented a board and climbed down the grotto at Ullu Watu in Bali and paddled out into the ocean. Unfortunately the wind changed and two of us were blown out quite a distance into the Lombok Stait. The guy with me was from California and was very experienced, unlike me. Instead of panicking, I just copied what he did. Graças a deus I am here today! Don't miss this movie!

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]