IMDb > Soul Surfer (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Soul Surfer ............ a movie that's totally worth your time

Author: Karun Kumar from India
3 August 2011

Hi every1 !! I write reviews very rarely ; usually I do not but rarely do I across such a movie which completely blows me apart. Yeah u guessed it right; this is that film !! It compelled me to write a review seeing all those negative ratings on IMDb and rotten tomatoes; I just love inspirational and motivational movies and when I saw its ratings, I still decided to give it a try and boy was i pleased !! It is movies like these that make the whole movie going experience worthwhile.

Seamless direction by Sean MacNamara coupled with dazzling cinematography, some fantastic visuals and brilliant music; I mean what's not there to like in this film. The angst of the family is depicted with great flourish and the acting of Anna Sophia Robb (playing the role of Bethany Hamilton) is worthy of a praise. While viewing this movie just keep 1 thing in mind; it is slow to pick up so just bear with it for about the first 15-20 minutes and after that it's a visual treat. The movie made me moist eyed at several points in the film. It gives hope an all new meaning. There are several noteworthy sequences which left an indelible impression on my mind and I would like to mention but will not because it'll spoil the fun of viewing this movie.

This movie really shows the importance of family support. If u have a strong family backing n have full faith in yourself then nothing's impossible. It gives u that extra bit of encouragement when u just need to go and push your limits a little more.

P.S. :- Keep an eye out for the end credits; they're not to be missed !!

Worth watching!

Author: tonje_louise from Norway
29 July 2011

A friend of mine recommended this movie to me, and to be honest I didn't really expect much- considering it's only rated to 6.5 at the moment. About 10 minutes ago I wasn't a member of IMDb, even though it's my go-to-place to check out movies and such.

The other person reviewing this movie also said that he/she just had to become a member so that he/she could write to all of you people out there, how incredibly good this movie is. I hate to admit this, the movie is very touching too, there you go, I said it. It's a film worth watching. And by the way, this movie is actually based on a real story, which is even more awesome!

Complete garbage

Author: conrode3-669-63067 from Canada
8 November 2013

This was one of the worst movies i have ever seen (i know that's a stretch) It was religious propaganda through and through. My biggest problem was the bad story telling and lack of any good performances. While the actual story of this girl is an interesting one the movie was not. it lacked realism (it was one of the worst shark attack effects i have ever seen. I watched this movie as part of a leadership class and by the end i wish i had of stayed home sick instead. This movie reminded me a lot of Patch Adams. everything was super happy and perfect. Every character felt so fake. Let me not forget Kevin Sorbo whom i have always loathed. This movie is not even so bad it's funny status. There is no redeeming qualities on display in this dreadful cinematic dive bomb. all and all bad movie, 1 star.

Great Movie and Expirational

Author: Skyracergirl from United States
24 April 2011

I went and saw this movie with a friend of mine who both of us wanted to see it since the first preview of it came out. It's a story of Bethany Hamiliton who loses an arm to a shark attack and despite the missing arm. she is determined to get back on a surfboard.

This movie speaks for everyone who has a missing limb or disability. go for your dreams if you just work hard at it and achieve it like Bethany did.

I love movies about true events.

Perfect cast. AnnaSophia Robb was perfect for Bethany Hamiliton.

This will be one movie I will own when it comes out on DVD.

Life changing story!

Author: (marcijimlove) from United States
9 April 2011

I chose to join IMDb just so that I could write a review about this movie. This movie was amazing! The cast was great and Anna Sophia Robb was phenomenal. The underwater scenes were like watching a professional surfing documentary. This was a movie that EVERYONE should go and see. It is my sincere hope that this movie is so successful that it inspires other producers and film makers to release these high quality movies again and again. I had to review this because did not want to take a chance that not enough reviews would be posted and this movie would disappear from the local theaters too quickly. May it run for a long time! It will change your life.

Wonderful movie that every family should watch it together!!

Author: FLY-9 from SF, USA
8 April 2011

I highly recommend this uplifting and inspiring film for the entire family.

The film is based on a true story (Bethany Hamilton), you could google about her to read more about the story of the real girl that lost her arm to a shark in an accident.

Again, I really really hope that Hollywood could come up with more of such uplifting films, which encourage people to have more positive attitude, hope, and uplifting spirit.

I also think that the script writer and the director did a great job transforming this true story to a movie without sacrifice the details and doing it without exaggeration. The acting is top-notch too. Soul Surfer, while formulaic in design, is an authentic and heartfelt movie. The scenery (shot in Hawaii) is really awesome, you should go watch this movie yourself!

I would watch this movie with my entire family again! When the DVD comes out I'm going to buy one too!

Religious pandering

Author: U.N. Owen from NYC
1 August 2011

That's the number (low-ball) of the religious 'reviewers' listed - JUST here, on IMDb who've reviewed this film.

This film is a VERY obvious ode to Christianity.

Period.

Other reviewers pandered about saying that, explicitly, but, that IS what this purported 'mainstream' film is.

I don't care WHAT your belief is, but, trying to put across a film, such as this - which is geared to bringing in (unsuspecting) families, is WRONG.

IF it was marketed as what it IS - fine. But, that's NOT the case here.

I find TRICKING - ANYONE - ESPECIALLY youngsters - what IS religious proselytizing dishonest.

A Truly Wonderful Film

Author: jre-5 from United States
15 October 2014

There may be a few very minor spoilers here, but nothing that wouldn't be seen in reading basic info about the film.

This is one of my favorite films, it's very inspirational and emotional. The fact that it's a true story (overall at least) is what makes it so special. Ironically, I think that my favorite part is the ending credits when it shows videos of the real Bethany Hamilton and things that she has done since the attack. It's truly amazing what she has become a champion surfer even though she only has one arm, it hardly seems possible.

As a Christian, there are a couple parts that I consider to be inappropriate, mainly the photo shoot. But most of the film is fully acceptable. I was worried that it would be like the movie "The Blind Side" which has a lot of bad language and inappropriate stuff. But thankfully that's not really the case. The fact that Bethany Hamilton and her family are Christians in real life is probably the main reason why. It's interesting that they insisted on having a couple Bible verses.

The shark attack, and the rescue are rather intense, so if you're sensitive to things like this, you may want to skip this part. I don't mind it, I probably shouldn't call it exiting, since it was a very tragic event, but I do enjoy watching it. The rest of the film is mostly gentle.

Shows You Should Never Give Up!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
22 August 2011

A movie like this shows you should never give up. Despite the obstacles that you face. AnnaSophia Robb stars as Bethany Hamilton who has a blossoming surfing career as she is only a teenager.

But it is tested when a shark nearly makes her lose her life. She survives but loses her left arm. When she goes through a grueling rehab. Plus trying to live without one arm. Rather than having people trying to give her special treatment or feel bad for her. She wants to be treated just the same. Like not be given special treatment in getting a head start in a competition, her first event since losing her arm.

Plus, she realizes by seeing a news report in a third world country that has nothing and is in need of supplies and aid. That really changes her outlook at life. As she goes with her church youth group to see how she can help.

In the end, she not only inspires people all over the world when she gets back from the trip amid the fan letters and cards of support. But she is inspired to give back along the way.

Really a great movie and great support from Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid as her supportive parents. It sends a good message to not give up nor give in. Go see it! You will really be encouraged.

Great inspirational story for all people who chasing their dream...

Author: Hery Khouw from Indonesia
21 July 2011

At first, I have no expectation for this movie. My cousin told me few months ago, he said that it's gotta be a great movie. It's worth waiting for, I just said yeah yeah yeah, maybe it's good, let's see when the movie's out. It's because I don't really like drama thing, I don't like to see all the sad things going around but this time and now, after I watched few hours ago I will say that this one is really good. It's a great inspirational movie, and my cousin was right. Thank him for telling me such a great movie. This review I'll dedicate to him especially. Watch it bro... :D

The story tells us about Bethany Hamilton who lost his left arm because of shark attack when she was surfing back then. The story is an usual drama but since it's a true story, It becomes something that you must watch. I really like how the story tells the truth of a "Bethany Hamilton". When you see the credit, you will see who is the real Bethany, and the story really reflects who is she, and what she'd done after getting shark attack. Maybe some of you will say that the story is just like any other drama created by Disney or something, but let me tell you that this one is different. It really give an inspiration, great one to all the people in the world who also had that suffering like Bethany. I believe she had given so much to everybody with her heroic and brave personality.

The scenery is really beautiful. Maui, Phuket, and all the other beaches are really beautiful and amazing. It's really God's gifts to human race so that we can enjoy it and also protect it. I wish I have a house like Hamilton's who lives beside the sea. The most beautiful scene for me is when the girls do that night surfing when celebrating Halloween, I always dream to be in that situation, at the beach at night, party and celebrating something with fireworks. It must be wonderful and unforgettable.

I give my credit to AnnaSophia Robb who plays Bethany, I think she is a good actress who reflects the real life one so great. She makes me feel how if I am on her side. She really do a solid work here. She can shows us she is brave and strong, never give up but still she's only a girl who can cries too. Dennis Quaid and Helen Hunt, great two acts also play it great as parents of Bethany. What surprise me the most is the appearance of Carrie Underwood. She is pretty but she really have to learn much about acting.

Last one is for the effects, since it's drama, it doesn't have too much effects except Bethany's hand and maybe the shark attack but it just OK. I think we don't need the visual effect like Transformers or Harry Potter thing to this kind of drama, but it still can give us a great show. I don't like the shark attack part because it happens suddenly and the sound is like going shrinking and I bet you will not surprise at all.

One thing that I also give a notice is when the groups are in Phuket, the residents should chit chat in Thai language right. But when a resident is interviewed by Sarah's (Carrie Underwood) friend, I wonder why she talks in Indonesian language. That's unreasonable since they are in Phuket not Indonesia. Overall, this movie really gives us inspiration that we shouldn't give up in any situation whether it's good or bad because God has planned something great for us. Chase your dream no matter what happened. Maybe you are in bad shape but there are so many people is worse than you, so you have to be thankful whenever, wherever, whatever you are now. Again, thank you for this inspiring story, Bethany, you are one of the great inspiring hero in this world. :)

Good points: - The story is great and inspiring - All the acts play great and do a solid work especially Anna, Dennis and Helen - The scenery is really beautiful. The beaches is wonderful.

Bad points: - The sound effect when the shark attack is bad for me. It doesn't surprise me at all - The Thai resident uses Indonesian language???

Rating: 8.5/10.0