IMDb > Fast Five (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fast Five

Fast Five More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I wasn't expecting much from this...but WOW.

Author: Mustafa Salim from United Kingdom
23 April 2011

I enjoyed the movie so much, that I came onto IMDb and registered myself just so that I can post a review.

The movie was packed with jaw dropping, eye popping action from beginning to end. The drama had a mix of sadness, comedy and seriousness which were all mixed in together so beautifully to give a consistency to keep the viewer starring at the screen and being involved in the movie rather than daydreaming about other things.

In my honest opinion I would say that it is the best Fast & Furious movie to date.

I want to go see it again!

(by the way, I realise that this isn't the best review in the world or might even be an awful review, the point is that I enjoyed the movie thoroughly and felt I should contribute to it's high average ratings).

The first sequel in the series that's actually worth your dollar

Author: blackmambamark from United States
1 May 2011

Sure the original was something fresh, new, and somewhat original. But the sequels have been anything but. Yeah i know it's high octane fun, but you can say the same thing about Michael Bay films. Am i saying that these sequels are as bad as Michael Bay films? No, but each one offers nothing new, well, unless you count drifting, and that isn't saying a lot. Hopefull this new installment can bring something fresh to the table.

I never thought i would say this, but i actually enjoyed this movie. I went in with low expectations, and came out pretty damn satisfied. Sure the movie had a lot of the same moving parts, but what really made this one stand out is how it actually changed the pace of how they normally do things.

First, they didn't have a damn drag race every 10 minutes. In fact, they barely had any. Which really is a genius idea, because when the time did come to have an awesome driving sequence, you were begging for it. Finally, someone with brains stepped into this movie and said let's save all of our bullets and unleash them in the end.

So with a series that relies heavily on their driving sequences and less on their script, how do you keep your audience entertained? Well, the first step is to incorporate another major actor, enter The Rock. Next, you really need to buff up your script. Okay, here is where it gets both good and bad. It's good because the movie takes a ton of it's credit from the "Ocean 11" films. Yeah, it's stealing an idea, but it injecting more action into it, which is pretty cool. But the reason why i say it's also bad, is because it's still packed with bad cheesy one-liners, poor acting, and some really tarnished plot outlines. But does that take anything away from the fun.......not really.

Bottom Line, okay people, here is your first action movie worth seeing this year. No, i am not one of those people who hold these 'Fast and Furious' films on a high pedestal. Not since the first one have i given anything over a decent review. But i can say with confidence that this one is actually worth your hard earned dollar. Sure it's slightly cheesy, packed with impossible action, and sure it steals some plot outlines from other films, but i like i said earlier, it's still fun to watch. So with that being said, the question remains.....is this the best one in the series? I still say no, but this movie comes damn close. Closer that any of the other ones, thats for damn sure. On a time line, this should have followed up the original

Not a hint of realism...

Author: Cowzilla15 from United States
29 April 2011

Now, this movie had its strengths... and its weaknesses... First off, great acting. All actors were superb. Good action scenes, nice action shots and cinematography. The script was a bit shabby.. But I need to vent about my main issue with this title... It doesn't have any realism in the movie at all. None.

First example: A car drives in front of a bus, they were going fairly fast but it should not have had THIS outcome.. The bus hits the back of car. The bus is then propelled 20-30 feet into the air, lands, and is ripped to shreds. No fatalities either, and somehow they snuck an inmate out from the scene of the crime without a soul knowing about it. The bus flying through the air from a minor collision like that is what really angered me.

Second example: An all-terrain vehicle speeds along next to a train. Not only does it stay with the train for a good 10 minutes in the exact same spot without any trouble adjusting to the trains speed, but it is clamped on with enough stability that a team of 2 can use plasma cutters to cut a wall large enough to smuggle a car out of. I liked the idea, but it wasn't put together properly. To make things worse, after a few cars are smuggled out, a final car, with about 2 feet of room to gain momentum with, had enough speed to make an enormous leap off of the train and land perfectly with smooth sailing the rest of the way. This is followed by two men in the car flying off of a cliff large enough to kill anybody landing in the water below. In the real world, limbs would have been lost. They land like it was nothing.

Third example (this takes the cake): An armored vehicle plows through the walls of a police station.. I'm okay with this. Two Chargers pull up, chain themselves to this 10 ton vault, and have enough traction and friction to pull the entire vault off of the wall and out of the building. In a real world situation, the cars would make no progress and spin out, or the chains would break... and they take off! Speeding through Rio with a 10 ton vault, wrecking down buildings, smashing cars, dodging people, and smashing everything else in sight. This really irritated me. It even went through a large concrete building, the chain being strong enough to tear the building apart. I have no clue how this is even plausible. The vault then flies around smashing everything in its path again, still being pulled by these two wimpy cars. Eventually, the police catch up. The drivers suddenly have the dexterity to move the vault and fling it to their will. They smash some more cop cars, cause more collateral damage, and then decide they are going to split up. One Charger takes the vault on its own, and another takes off in the opposite direction. This solo driver suddenly has even more dexterity, and flings the vault around some more, taking out cop cars left and right, killing people exactly how he "planned it". Like I said earlier, if you are pulling a vault the size of a building around in a solitary car, the tires would not have enough traction to continue, and the car wouldn't have enough horsepower to drag that monstrosity around.

It goes on and on, I wish I could actually watch this movie without those three examples. It would be great. I loved the rest of it. But, save all this junk for a sci-fi movie... I can stand small amounts of movies being non-realistic, there are exceptions.. But not taking realism into consideration at all is a bit of a downer. Apparently physics don't apply to anybody living in Rio De Janeiro.

The Summer Begins Now!

Author: cadillac20 from Culver City, California
29 April 2011

Well, color me surprised. The Fast and The Furious has not been a series known for it's intelligence. Indeed, it's always been big, loud, and dumb. The original hit the right notes at the time of its release, appealing to many as a street racing film where few films has treaded before it. However, it's lackluster sequels failed to deliver. With the adrenaline rush of the original over and poor writing and acting all around, the sequels were nothing more than a series of poor imitations that could never recapture the thrills of the first film. So, it's with some surprise that Fast Five is arguably the best film in the series.

Fast Five ditches the street racing that made it's name in favor for being a heist film. In this particular case, we pick up right from where we left off, with Dom being busted out of his prison bus. They then flee to Rio where they take on a heist that goes haywire and eventually leads to the penultimate heist of the film. In the meantime, ruthless Agent Hobbs, who specializes in tracking and capturing people, arrives to catch out trio of outlaws. The film does a good job of not wasting any time and most of the serious moments are kept to a minimum in favor of heist scenes or action. And in the action department, the film delivers tenfold. Far bigger, louder, and more exciting than any F&F film before it, action junkies should find themselves thrilled by the impressive set pieces and testosterone-laced mix of car and foot action.

Now, don't get me wrong, this is still a F&F film. This means that the script is still pretty laughable and the acting leaves much to be desired. However, with that said, it's still a bit improved here. Vin Diesel still can't play up emotion very well, making his attempts at the more serious scenes here a bit laughable. Paul Walker doesn't fair much better and, unfortunately, even as a main character takes a back seat to Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson. As action stars though, these three do a great job. In particular, the eventual confrontation between Diesel and Johnson is fantastic, with it being a brutal, WWE-esque rumble. The climactic scene alone is worth the price of admission. Though laughable, it's still an exciting, eye-popping scene that will leave you a little stupefied.

Certainly, you have to suspend much of your disbelief with your film. If you can't do that, you'll just find this entire film laughable and of poor entertainment value. For those who can though, this is a very entertaining film. And for fans, you'll certainly enjoy the film, with a well rounded cast from throughout the entire series coming together to pull off the impossible. It's definitely surprising to see that the fifth film in the series is the best, but I suppose that it's merely the evolution of F&F. With enough money, talent, and by pulling out all the stops, the franchise has finally capitalized on the over-the-top aspects that they had always seemed to go for. Suffice to say, action fans with enough suspension of disbelief will enjoy this immensely.

Stop making these! Please

Author: Instantdeath from United Kingdom
23 April 2011

OK, You know when you're in trouble when the die hard F&F fans behind you burst into hysterical laughter at the movie's very first stunt, but then again,so did the whole cinema.

This film is the classic metaphor for the postmodern tripe that Hollywood has had the misfortune of ever getting into bed with since Get Rich or Die Trying.....you'd think they would have taken a lesson.

It also is the classic overly used unrealistic stunts, like the ones we would usually see in the 80's muscle films. Classic example, 5mins into the film, Vin Disiel drives a car off a train, but hits the ground square on the nose and you see the wheel buckling.......you blink and the car is back to pristine condition......? And it was boring, yes extremely boring, for a driving film, they're was about 15mins max, the rest seemed to concentrate on developing love interests and avoiding the occasional rabid mob.

In this case - get cars, get paid and get lost................(that's pretty much how grammatically fluid the script was).

Plot - Once AGAIN ex FBI agent and Vin Disiel go about looking for top of the range cars as they're still broke and off the Radar, only this time in Brazil, one last job etc etc etc. FBI sends they're best man, who happens to be a pro wrestler ( but out acts all in the film by a long shot) and his muscle bound team of trigger happy feds. But there's a Rio business man/gangster with all this cash just hanging about in safe houses (how convenient), which they proceed to rob. Yawn! There are many faults with this film, but my top 5 gripes are thus: 1. The script & dialogue. Seems to be written by a middle school kid who is flunking at English. 'You Family' 'We Hungry' ' did yo slap or tap that ...........eh? Excuse me? Scripts....and Films like this (using the term loosely) justify film piracy. If refunds where available, who honestly wouldn't demand one after this garbage.

We get all the usual propaganda about how it funds terrorism and the other political mantras. This Film justifies the murder of cops, stealing cars and excruciatingly bad acting. Please can we have a law in the future which states that actors have to be part of the actors gild or trained to an acceptable standard ( by acceptable, not hitting out with this urban degeneration of English).

2. The cops just switch sides.......yes the cops that have no other goal but to hunt down and bring these men to justice, just change sides and help the bad guys out...............seriously, now get lost. And more to the point, why does the female cop instantly fall head over heels for someone who is in the same circuit that killed her husband, I found it was cringe worthy as the two of them swaggered up to the beach house at the end.

3. The 'we need a team to pull off this last job' Cant we make films about someones first job instead, its exemplifies the person who is sick of their day job, in this case, nicking cars and getting paid loads of cash.....but you can see the hypocrisy there. The team..........totally being ripped from Oceans 11 and Gone in 60 seconds films. The fringe characters from the previous F&F films, (I never did watch Toyko Drift so I didn't have a clue as to who the Japanese guy was. I can feel my blood pressure rising as I type.

4. They manage to rob a police station with more troops on the ground than America has in Afghanistan and Iraq and not take one single causality. Dragging a 10 tonne high security safe along with two medium range size cars??????? Who the hell where the two Brazilian freaks who did...... well, what exactly? Jumped around spewing out jokes with would only appeal to someone with the IQ of a demented Badger. The indoor training to beat the cameras where they needed invisible cars. So the highest security office in Brazil doesn't realise that 4 of its muscle cars, ( yes that's right the Brazilian police instead of Fords have supped up NOS guzzling super cars as basic patrol vehicles) are missing? And then it transpires that they don't need them. But just to keep a low profile, they drag race them along Rio main intersection.......Yeah sure, trying to be inconspicuous.

5. The big happy ending for everyone,......... laughable. Once again the cinema was in hysterics, not at the badly time jokes from Tyrese ' His agent should be shot for war crimes for introducing him to Hollywood' Gibson and his obvious comic relief character as, quite Frankly, no one can take him seriously. The Japanese guy and the ex-military bird just speeding around Germany in a super-car. The two Brazilians gambling in Monaco........

For a team of people who wanted to just disappear, they managed to annihilate a whole squadron of police cars, assault Brazil's maximum security police station, destroy half of Rio, Kill about 40+ police officers and then for their retirement, buying the rarest cars in the world ( always the best way to lie low for a while)..........which government in the world wouldn't seriously just unleash the death squads against them after the above.??????? Hopfully, this is the end of this terrible franchise and hopefully the end of most actors careers in this steaming pile of you know what.

Watch at your own peril

Best since the original.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
21 April 2011

"Home sweet home" utters Diesel's beefcake criminal Dom Toretto to Walker's baby-faced ex-cop Brian O'Conner as they sit in Toretto's souped up muscle car ready to race along the streets of Rio de Janeiro. There's more than a hint of irony in this; fans of the Fast franchise will know exactly what Dom means. The sequels spawned from the highly successful first film have been a mixed bag appealing to different tastes. Some have been mildly entertaining in their own way, but the one major issue they've all shared is a lack of recurring characters and follow-on narratives. 2009's Fast & Furious partially rectified that by having the main four from the original movie return, but it's this fifth entry that really starts to bring the whole series together.

There's supporting characters from every instalment featured here – Matt Schulze's Vince from number one; Tyrese's big-mouthed Roman and Ludicrous' Tej from 2 Fast 2 Furious; Sung Kang's charismatic Han from Tokyo Drift; and Gal Gadot's sexy Gisele from F&F – with a post-credits cameo to cap it off. Scribe Chris Morgan has obviously done his homework as, in addition to the 'who's who' line-up of co-stars, there are references to the previous movies (and characters that don't appear) and he introduces subplots that help build on earlier story lines. This integration of the Fast universe, along with the marvellously tongue-in-cheek mood, notches up a level of interest not before seen in the car-crazy franchise.

After taking a new course with Tokyo Drift, and failing to impress with Fast & Furious, filmmaker Justin Lin has well and truly ignited the series with exciting set pieces and lashings of well placed humour. He still struggles to effectively call the shots when exposition (or mere conversation) is required; however he clearly has a handle on shooting the various fast-paced action scenes. There is a spectacular heist of luxury cars aboard a train (with a marvellously ridiculous denouement); a Bourne-esque free-running chase along roof tops; and a bruising hand-to-hand melee between The Rock and big Vin.

Of the major stars, it's Fast newcomer Dwayne Johnson who shines the brightest. His epic bad-ass cop makes Toretto look like an absolute sissy, which is no easy feat. He also boasts many of the film's greatest lines and comes away looking the least corny – something Diesel and Walker are evidently use to by now. The chalk and cheese pairing of the two wannabe action stars brings with it a decent slab of shonky acting. Chrome-domed Diesel is especially silly and unconvincing when required to open his mouth, but he looks good behind the wheel of a car and adds plenty to the unapologetic macho atmosphere.

Thanks to Morgan's decent script, Lin's solid grasp on the action and Johnson's tough-as-nails turn, this latest addition to a franchise that appeared to be running on fumes has just stepped on the gas.

3.5 out of 5 (1 - Rubbish, 2 - Average, 3 - Good, 4 - Great, 5 - Brilliant)

The BEST of the franchise!

Author: AverageJoesReview from A Small Box In The Suburbs
8 April 2011

I've been a personal fan of the F&F series ever since the very first title was released. Once I saw that Fast Five was in production I immediately began hunting down a pass for its first showing, I was successful. Fast Five is everything we all love about the franchise, fast cars, beautiful women, and of course some nail biting action scenes.

Whether you're a long time fan of the movies, or a brand new viewer, this movie is a must see, you're guaranteed to get your moneys worth on this title.

Best movie I have seen in a long time, it even managed to remove the bad taste that was left in my mouth by Tokyo Drift.

This is going to be one of the biggest movies of the year, see it, or be left behind.

Rating- 10/10 -Average Joe

Best F'n'F yet

Author: corey_dw from Australia
19 April 2011

After varying degrees of success with the franchise, My faith that "Fast 5" could deliver on the hype was waning somewhat. However I am pleased to say the series has redeemed itself. Fast 5 pulls out all the stops this time around. It delivers on action, cars, quality acting and a decent storyline. It explores the character personalities showing more humor, fear, vulnerability and determination this time around which gives the movie strength and depth that was missing from previous Fast n Furious movies.

I found myself laughing out loud a few times at the subtle humor, and leaning forward for the action scenes which are truly amazing.

The Story is not predictable and will keep the surprises coming to the end. The Cast has matured and it shows in the quality of acting over previous F'n'F movies.

Pros:

Good pace throughout the movie

Decent storyline and plot

Good Cast of actors/ actresses

Imaginative and inventive elements throughout

Plenty of "Wow" moments

Cons:

Would be nice to have more screen time for the cars

a couple of cheesy moments ( but this adds to the humor of the film)

Overall: Highly recommended film, Just be sure to stay until the end of the credits!

9.5/10

Adrenaline pumping hardcore popcorn action done right

Author: FuryoftheFilmFan from United States
30 April 2011

The weather is finally better, people are taking their clothes off all over the place and even though it is still spring time, summer movies are now officially kicking off and ladies and gentleman, we start this summer right with Fast Five. The Fast and Furious franchise is something of an acquired taste, a sort of guilty pleasure that hasn't really been shown the respect it has earned. It isn't known for any of the terms critics love to use when they complain about a movie, like intellectual dialogue, solid characterization or even anything remotely close to a thought provoking plot. No, what it excels in is another term that critics seem to have forgotten about. Popcorn, no that overpriced buttery stuff you get from a concession stand, I'm talking popcorn films! Energetic movies meant to entertain, a good solid waste of time! So what makes a good popcorn film? Well if this question is asked to the future filmmakers of tomorrow one need only to watch Fast Five to see a fine example of how to get it right. Director Justin Lin (who also directed the fast and the furious) makes a huge leap in directorial prowess by showing an incredible eye for action that every other director today should take note at. The man can film ACTION, and you know..In an action movie…that's kind of what you want and with that eye brings together an expendables version of the fast and furious franchise starring everyone's favorite fast and furious stars. Dominic Toretto (played by Vin Diesel) and his crew find themselves on the wrong side of the law once again as they try to deal with a drug lord and a federal agent that's hot on their trail. So , um…back to talking about the action. It is INNNNcredible. Oh man this is my kind of action, I seriously have not seen this kind of solid , non computer generated action in a very very long time and Justin Lins camera work is top notch. Every shot is deliberate and clean. Oh…so good. Aside from the action the other thing that makes this film work is the stars. Everyone from The Rock to Ludicrous play their characters great and have their own moments to shine. While the movie does slow down in the middle to what looks like Ocean's Eleven meets Fast and Furious, the stars are what keep this movie was falling apart. The movie at times felt like a parody of action films, filled with cheesy cliché's that are sometimes so subtle you'll miss it but Linn will toss another scene in there in case you did and often in hilarious ways . The rock is just so great, it's these roles he should be taking, not the flying fairy kind, he's so great in this film I would love to see a spin off with this very character of his, this cocky nonsense guy who just knows everything, and he really does know everything. Frankly, that's the only two things that this movie has going for it. Action and pretty people and in a popcorn film, that's all you need. So this one is easy folks, for those with their noses in the air looking for only citizen Kane caliber films to entertain them, you should know better, you know a fast and furious movie isn't for you. It's a vapid film that would have been unwatchable had it not been for its action and star power. But it pulls off being entertaining. So if you're looking for adrenaline pumping action , seat rumbling roars of the hottest cars , beautiful people looking beautiful even when being shot at then you got yourself the definition of a popcorn film, meant to entertain you in every single way and this is popcorn done right.

A Nutshell Review: Fast Five

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
2 May 2011

As far as franchise films go, The Fast and Furious series seem to be hitting the ground at top gear, with this installment not showing signs of slowing down, but prepping a new direction for future films to take, shifting gears from a film showcasing hot bodies (not solely just car chassis) and fast nox-enabled cars into the classic heist genre, given that it had that as its underlying premise from the first film, and now with a growing ensemble, are ready to give Ocean's Eleven a run for its money.

Rio De Janeiro provides the backdrop in which this installment takes place in (quite a popular location for films recently too), with the chief villain being Reyes (Joaquim de Almedia), a mobster with a businessman front, with his tentacles of vice and influence extending toward every part of the city. Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel), Brian O'Conner (Paul Walker) and the former's sister Mia (Jordana Brewster) hide out in the city as fugitives having broken Dom en route to prison at the end of Fast and Furious, and with the kind of money available for the taking to start a family of their own with Mia found to be pregnant, they decide to assemble a team, not to pass up the opportunity of robbing Reyes blind.

So in comes a whole host of characters whom we have seen in past films, such as Roman (Tyrese Gibson), Tej (Ludacris), Gisele (Gal Gadot), and even Han (Sung Kang) whom we know what happened to in Tokyo Drift, hence putting the chronology of the films at 1, 2, 4, 5 and 3, which is now sometime in the not so immediate future. Director Justin Lin takes on his 3rd film of the franchise and together with writer Chris Morgan have managed to introduce new elements to surprise audiences and fans up until this installment, keeping with the usual action laden elements, while bringing on new characters into the franchise, this time with Dwayne Johnson coming in as a no nonsense, dogged and persistent FBI operative Hobbs, with an arsenal of technology and attitude to aid him and his team in tracking down Dom and his crew.

And of course who cannot wait to see two tough guys in Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson go one on one with each other in a fisticuffs, especially since their time with family friendly films have taken a backseat to put them both firmly back into the action genre. It sets up new rivalry, while keeping the old between Dominic and Brian with the latter always keen to prove who's the better driver. And like most ensemble films, it's make or break given the character's appeal, and I'm glad to note they share this incredibly chemistry this bunch of highly skilled cons who each bring their know-how to the table in trying to pull off mission frickin' insanity, and everyone possessing a mean driver's license to power souped up vehicles.

And if it's action you're seeking, it's action you'll get in this film too, putting aside the rather rote and superficial theme of family and trust. There's no lack of races and wheels on the roads although I do note that there's not too much of signature cars to go around this time. Even a would be street race was unceremoniously cut off, although we do get it compensated with a four way race down two traffic lights amongst Roman, Dom, Brian and Han which was more of a fair competition since they were all essentially driving the same model. Then there's the big bang finale that you would have seen in the trailer, with Dom and Brian yanking a bank vault and travelling down the streets of Rio at top speed, in what would be a fittingly noisy last act destroying everything, and I mean everything, along their path, that has to be seen in a cinema to enjoy this guilt trip in sense surround glory.

Needless to say I am a fan of the franchise, and am excited about the direction this film would be going even if it would mean limiting the number of cars on the roads, since the film had already shown the potential of that chemistry between the cast and characters, and I'm eagerly anticipating more. From one fanboy and an action junkie to any other, this of course would be recommended fare.

Stay tuned while the end credits roll, and you'll be treated to a stinger that reaffirms and teases what's to come in the next film, with no less than two surprise appearances. But no, with the timeline, it'll take a while before Lucas Black will be able to link up with the guys. For an adrenalin pumping high octane entertaining film outing, Fast Five is that opener to a very noisy and crowded summer season to come.

Page 1 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]