IMDb > "Blue Bloods" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Blue Bloods"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Blue Bloods" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Selleck is back in a great TV Show, as the patriarch of a New York cop family!

Author: fred-kolb from USA
10 October 2010

The new shows this fall have almost all been hugely disappointing, starting with the new "Law and Order: LA" which proves that the concept of the show is starting to get old, "The Event" is yet another bunch of twists and turns that will end in the middle of nowhere sooner or later and the hugely anticipated "Hawaii-Five-O" started out strong, but has now taken a turn for the worse, although it's still among the better new shows, which frankly isn't saying much.

"Blue Bloods", on the other hand, really stands out as a gritty and quite realistic police drama, made by the producers of the hugely successful and dearly missed "The Sopranos". Now, we get to see inside the daily lives of a family whose job is to solve crimes, instead of committing them, and thanks to an ensemble of gifted actors, it's quite interesting to see their interactions, both personally and professionally.

Frank Reagan is the chief of police in New York City, a man deeply respected by his family and the people he works with. His oldest son Danny (Donnie Wahlberg) is a homicide detective with a reputation for not doing things by the book, and in the first episode already he sticks someones head in a toilet to get the location of a missing girl out of him. While people admire as someone who gets the job done, he has alienated several people over the years through his views and methods, including his sister Erin (Bridget Moynahan). She is a district attorney, and since Danny often uses unorthodox and even illegal methods to arrest criminals, she has a hard time with convicting them, causing them to argue quite frequently. Jamie (Will Estes) is their youngest brother, and after finishing law school, suddenly decides to become a police officer, much to the dismay of his fiancé. Although still a rookie, he is approached by a secret society called the Blue Templars, who wish to hire him to investigate the death of his brother, who was a cop himself and was shot while investigating a case.

The show comes up with an interesting concept,showing us the interaction of these four family members while investigating crimes and how they often clash in their believes and principles. Donnie Wahlberg's character Danny is probably the most interesting one of the bunch, mainly because it's hinted at that he was in Iraq, and that his tendency to loose patience with the people he arrests is rooted in something he experienced there. It's good to have Tom Selleck back on TV, who is a better actor now than ever, and since I already liked him in the Jesse Stones movies, it's great that I get to see him every week now.

You can watch Blue Bloods every Friday at 10 on CBS, and since it's one of the most successful shows that have ever aired in the time slot, it looks like it stands a very high chance of surviving for more than a season, which will be an achievement not shared by too many of the new shows, I'm sure.

What a great show!

Author: bazzak14 from Dublin, Ireland
23 October 2010

I'll be honest at the outset and say I've given this show a very solid 8 out of ten. Now I'm not sure if you're thinking that that doesn't jive with the heading on this review, if you are please remember two things 1)If I could give half points I would have given 8 and a half and 2)I'm very hard to please when it comes to movies and TV.

First I'll start with Donnie (oooh oooh oooh oooh oooh! {nkotb reference}). I absolutely loved him in Boomtown and was very disappointed when it got cancelled because the show as a whole was brilliant and original and I tuned in every week without fail (RIP Boomtown). Wahlberg does not disappoint in this show either as the thoroughly committed to doing the right thing detective, brilliant and first class as usual.

Selleck as the (nearly) patriarch of the family and the definite patriarch of the police department cannot put a foot wrong for my money either.

Someone mentioned it already, but the whole debating of decisions over the Sunday roast is a brilliant show device with which the audience is exposed not only to the logic employed by the cops but also to the points that can be made by the devils advocate. Thoughly entertaining, and not visited nearly enough in other shows.

One of the strongest selling points of this show is the lack of formulaic clap trap that you find on other shows (granted there is some form to the show as in a crime has to happen in order to be investigated) and the originality in which the show goes about bringing its stories to the audience.

Last but not least is the emotions and feelings in the show. It's much more effective than most cop shows I've watched at tugging at the heart strings and it really is worth watching for all the above reasons.

I hope you enjoy this show!

Best New Cop Show in Years

Author: irisames from United States
16 October 2010

Other than being on Friday when I'm never home, which means I have to wait a day or 2 to see the show online, this is the best new cop show show since NYPD Bue, and it rivals my favorite show The Good Wife for great TV.

Donnie is great and what can you say about Magnum PI, excuse me Tom Selleck.

The entire cast is A+, and the writing and stories are great.

The only problem is any really great new show I fall in love with that is well done and not a reality show gets taken off the air.

So suits at ABC here this - Blue Bloods is a keeper.

Top notch cast

Author: Sean Morrow from Canada
18 October 2010

The cast is first rate and the best thing about the show so far. Tom Selleck is maturing so well you almost forget about the youthful, carefree version of the actor. Today he carries a world weary, solid presence that makes him totally believable as Frank Reagan, the top cop of New York. The interactions between the younger Reagans are spot on and believable. Donnie Wahlberg and Bridget Moynahan in particular are interesting and move the stories along. The rest of the cast is fine with only Len Cariou's role giving a slightly false note, not because of the excellent veteran actor, but because someone thought it would be cool to give him a limp and a cane... hmmmm, a retired older Irish cop with a bum leg and a cane, sounds slightly familiar -- I keep expecting Daphne to appear saying it's time for his therapy.

So far the stories have been solid one offs letting us get to know the lay of the land and the main characters personalities. The show is set in New York and the city is taking an important role. Thank goodness the producers didn't go with the Toronto as stand in for major US city route. I love Toronto, but it always messes with my suspension of disbelief when a car cruises pass a major landmark like the Empire State Building and ends up on Yonge street.

We've been given heavy handed hints of the season's over arching story line -- the youngest Reagan is asked to infiltrate an inner circle of dirty cops called the Blue Templars. I've got a bad feeling about this one. Every time the story goes there it's just lame and brings reality crashing down with a discordant cacophony which jar this viewer out of the story line and makes him cringe.

All and all, however, the series looks very good and if they build on the strengths of the great cast and compelling characters they should have a fine run (once they get the Blue Templars out of the way).

One of The worst

Author: John Smithee from United States
19 May 2011

Even Tom Selleck can't save this disaster. It's a string of cliché's held together by dull plot lines and the smarmiest family on TV. We get the multi-general Irish cop family where every single member is a paragon of absolute virtue. (Mark Wahlberg constant brutalizing and intimidating witnesses is viewed as good policing, not thuggery and violation of the law, since its always in a good cause!) Conversely, everyone is not in law enforcement an out-and-out villain. Perhaps this really is how the police see the world, us and against everyone else. If it is, it's very disturbing and bordering on sickening.

Even if the general viewpoint isn't enough of a turn-off, there's the dreadful plots. Every mystery is solved and every problem overcome within a few minutes of screen time without anyone breaking a sweat, even if it takes extraordinary coincidence and a total suspension of belief in rationality And logic. See spoiler below, for example.

The low point of every episode, however, has to be the family Sunday dinner where patriarch Selleck dispenses his profound pap, supposedly wisdom on the meaning of life and on being a cop (same thing to these people), to the younger generation. It's stuff that would make the Walton's gag.

The only character that I like is Len Cariou's the retired old grandfather cop. You can just see in his eye and catch the hint in his words that he longs wistfully for the day when cops could just take anyone they didn't like out behind the station and beat the crap out of him. It's the only glimmer of reality in the whole mess.

Spoiler

The season finale was perhaps the most mind numbing episode off all. Find and eliminate the evil Blue Templar group within the police force? No problem. 1) get an informant to tell you who they are, 2) get the dozens of them them all to assemble in the same place so you can bag them all simply by surrounding the building, 3) find out which of them who killed your son simply by asking in a loud voice and he will confess for no good reason and then shoot himself to so that the matter can be closed by the end of the episode.

Top notch, all the way

Author: leighstitcher-750-978937 from United States
19 November 2014

I've always been a Tom Selleck fan, from his earliest TV performances. He brings class, sophistication and integrity to his performances. The rest of the cast for Blue Bloods meshes well with the high standards set here. It is refreshing to see characters who are not afraid to admit they make mistakes, who often question what is done and why. It is also very refreshing to see an ensemble with a strong sense of faith and goodness.

Please continue the practice of saying a blessing before meals - this helps to set the tone of the characters and helps viewers to understand the strength that a strong Irish Catholic family has - all of the members of the Reagan family are strong and they have the courage and faith to stand up for what is right. This comes from their traditions and their beliefs.

In my humble opinion, this is one of the best dramas on television today and I would not be embarrassed to have my grandchildren watch it with me. Can't say that for most of the programming on prime time these days.

My favorite

Author: jdonalds-5 from United States
18 December 2014

Blue Bloods is currently my favorite TV program. The casting is great, story lines are very interesting, but what I really enjoy is every episode presents a dilemma where both sides are presented and mulled over.

Direction makes a movie or TV show. It can make or break a story line and Blue Bloods continues to please. It astounds me that a series of rotating directors are tied to these episodes, including actors such as Donnie Wahlberg, with rarely a low point in the episode list.

I do so much appreciate a movie or TV show where the good guys are really good guys and they win as often as possible.

The Sunday dinners are a high point of the show.

It would please me if this series goes on for 15 seasons. I would be truly bummed if this series was cut short. I'm sure there are enough story lines in New York City to keep this show alive and interesting for a very long time.

BB Good Show

Author: CryptoGuy from United States
30 September 2010

Well, I have to say, I really enjoyed the pilot episode of Blue Bloods. It has a great cast, some good writing, and the cinematography is wonderful. Blue Bloods is definitely the best of all the new cop shows premiered this season.

I will have to agree with the originality gripe I read on another review. The show would do well without it. Making it about the family more than the crimes is the key winner here. No need to muck it up with conspiracies. However, it has been introduced and we'll have to ride it out.

If you are looking for a new show to watch, I highly recommend Blue Bloods. Nice job.

Are New York detectives really this stupid? No, nobody's that stupid.

Author: Marcus from United Kingdom
30 August 2011

Spoiler for episode 1 A young girl gets dragged into a van and kidnapped while walking home from school. The police find a doll at the scene of the abduction and find out from the parents that it doesn't belong to the girl.

A couple of hours pass and the "Detectives"(I use that term very loosely) suddenly realise that the doll might have been used to lure the girl into the van, seriously? 2 or more hours to think of something that any idiot would have realised immediately. Then in a surreal moment they both look smug like they'd just thought of something really profound. To make matters worse they have already put the doll into evidence and have to get it out again to find if they might be able to find out who bought it and give them a lead to the kidnappers. They then find out (beyond all possible credibility) that only 3 people had access to this doll in the whole of America.

I turned this heap of drivel off at this point as I wasn't going to have my intelligence insulted any further.

I am bowing out

Author: rowdy_top
14 February 2012

Well I watched my last episode tonight as I am getting nowhere with this series. Detective Danny has a gut feeling, how good for him he hasn't shown any common sense yet so he must have something. What did it for me was Danny putting his family in harms way, never realizing he has done so with his action. If this is the cop that has to keep us safe, we can do without him. If he puts his family in danger like that not much hope for the rest of us. Episode I saw last with the dead woman in the shower and her daughter unmasking her STEPfather as the killer. Fairy tale stuff guys but not a cop drama/procedural worthy. Bad writing and uninspired. As for Tom......I'll wait for the next Jesse Stone. Bluebloods is not worth my time.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]