IMDb > The Innkeepers (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Innkeepers

The Innkeepers More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 24: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

just plain bad

Author: Yogi8
5 January 2012

don't watch this if you enjoy good horror, or even bad horror.

i was quite excited to see the trailer and to think that this little gem could have slipped by my horror consuming eyes and i was eager to watch the innkeepers.

what an utter disappointment!

the trailer is a proficient edit of the entire movie - just watch that. there is nothing more in the movie except really boring time wasters.

the trailer shows the 2 scary shots in the film and none of the long, laborious, boring filler it takes to get to those 2 seconds of film. (and i am serious about the 2 exciting seconds of the film - perhaps less than 2s.)

innkeepers is not as good as some silly paranormal shows on TV that try to hook you in with scary music and sound effects but really have nothing to show you. the characters are about as fascinating as watching paint dry - i felt for the female lead as she tried to put some 'perk' into the bad material.

even up to the last minutes i was hoping for some twist revealing the cast were all dead or some of the guests were ghosts or anything, anything! to redeem the movie! alas no, the ending was as flat as the rest of the movie.

in fact, i'm bored now just writing about it, but hopefully i will save you some time with this review.

save your time and money and watch anything other than this film tonight.

The Sickening...

Author: corneliussenespen from Norway
22 January 2012

This movie could be someones college film project...

Bad casting: one decent actor, and the others of eBay? Bad scripting: Was the script writer being paid for a short-script? Bad directing: ...or the lack of it. Bad horror make-up: child labor is not allowed, guys! Bad acting: blame the script writer and the director for the decent actor, and the rest on scholarship cut-backs...?

The plot is not even somewhat original, but this movie actually won the "Scariest film"-award at the Toronto After Dark Film Festival 2011!? Bad horror year? Cause I've seen scarier commercials... But on the positive side: they didn't use a lot of topless girls to make up for the "pointlessness" of the movie!

I've been writing this review during the last part of the movie (was so bored), and are now hoping for an The American Psycho-ending: ...waited in vain.

Don't waste your time

Author: hwlfordd2010 from United Kingdom
14 January 2012

Agree with the other person. Apart from the laptop which seemed to be a main theme for the movie,this film could have been set in 1900's times. They even managed to talk about cheap bread for sandwiches- i mean talk about heart pounding! I got bored after half an hour and switched it off. The most interesting thing that happened in this half hour was the girl taking the bins out. A cheap rip off on the shining- and even that was bad I 100% wouldn't recommend anyone to watch this film. You will be bored after the first 10 minutes.Don't waste your time on this!!! I don't even understand why they are releasing it in the cinema. The absolute worst horror film i have watched. I have never switched a film off half way through, but i had to with this i was just thoroughly bored. I would rather watch paint dry, than make myself suffer and watch this. Trust me!!!

One of the worst films I have ever seen

Author: niccutts from United Kingdom
13 January 2012

I don't say this lightly, but I'm afraid this was truly, truly awful. From the moment I put it on the acting was not just poor but down right irritating. Overacting from a lead that displayed no charm, screen presence or realness. The script was extremely poor and the direction was even worse. The film presents numerous scenes where you are left wondering, what was the point of that? There was no build up to the 'scares' and when they did happen they were undermined by a screaming tantrum from the lead actress replacing any fright you might have experienced with a feeling of wonderment as to why the studio sanctioned this film. Perhaps the worst thing about this film is that the trailer actually looked quite good. It doesn't surprise me that the PR people chose to not advertise the film on the back of the lead actress, or any of the other actors for that matter. I note that in previous reviews this film was compared to "insidious" which to me is a travesty. I'm not saying Insidious was great - I thought it was maybe a 6. This film is a 1 and everyone concerned with it's production should be truly ashamed of themselves.

I implore you, save yourself a truly irritating experience and don't watch this film. It is utter tripe.

Subtle but Worth It

Author: Chicky5150 from Norristown, PA
3 January 2012

The Innkeepers is not a film for people that can't pay attention. I've heard it described as initially not very gripping, but there is a lot about this movie that's easy to miss.

The plot is rather straight-forward, two employees spend a weekend in a haunted hotel, but this character driven piece features two of the most realistic people I've seen committed to film. It slowly ratchets up the tension to a nearly unbearable ending.

The strongest thing about the Innkeepers is that it understands film, and it knows that you are familiar with various horror film tropes. It doesn't give you what you expect to see when you expect to see it, and scenes never turn out the way you think they will. This film keeps you off balance until the end.

Also, Sara Paxton is great as the lead, but Pat Healy's character actually is the centerpiece of the film and he has a fuller character arc which can be easily missed.

This is the best genre film since Trick R Treat.

Cross between Ghost Hunters and Shining

Author: scottmannen1 from Canada
3 January 2012

A 200 year old hotel with a bad 70s renovation in a modern day environment. Throw in two ghost hunting nerds, one alcoholic psychic and a suicidal groom and you have The Innkeepers! Great Movie. This isn't designed for slasher fans. This movie is more about charm, and a gradually increasing sense of paranormal hysteria that encompasses both the viewer and the protagonists....until the point where both feel they are in way over their heads. The film is slow to grind into the paranormal scares; however, the building dread and the sense of foreboding is what did it for me! Overall a fantastic film! Watch this if you are a paranormal fan, and also a ghost film-lover!

Enjoy!

Crafted old school Haunted 'house' flick.

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
14 January 2012

Two employees try to unravel the The Yankee Pedlar Inn's haunted past but they begin to witness disturbing events.

Opening with an assortment of spooky photo's accompanied by a creepy score from Jeff Grace, director Ti West sets the atmosphere for The Innkeepers from the get go. Anyone familiar with West's smouldering and finely filmed House of the Devil will know he likes to take time to build up the characters with a final pay off. Innkeepers is no exception. That said, it is pacer than the aforementioned with a few cheap scares up front courteous of a PC and a YouTube-like video.

The acting is first rate, very naturalist with lead Sara Paxton on form as intelligent dropout Claire. Paxton is very watchable delivering a good performance thanks to an equally good script. There's logic in the screenplay and supports the notion that if you were in a hotel and interested in the paranormal you'd set up an investigation.

There is a small cast of quirky characters including 80′s star Kelly Mcgillis who seems to be having a revival now in horror after featuring in Stake Land. There's a psychic, an odd old man, obligatory ghost bride and cellar. There's ominous corridors, creaky doors, piano cues, old photos and great sound design which add to its creepy factor. There's plenty of jump scares and red-herrings.

E.V.Ps, web cams in amongst the realistic sets gives credibly and suck you into Claire's and Luke's (Pat Healy) investigation plight. It's an old-school horror with the music and sound playing a big part, much of the suspense comes from what you don't see. But West's visuals of what you do see are extremely haunting. It's a homage of sorts that refreshingly leaves you with some unanswered questions and loose ends.

Debatably you can argue it builds to little more than a series of scares, yet, it's more consistent and less glossy than recent horror Insidious, furthermore grounded than 1408 and far-more finely executed with its wonderful sets, camera work and narrative than the Paranormal Activities.

Yes – it's a essentially a haunted house flick, but what a chilling, hair raising and perfectly constructed haunted inn film it is.

A very good horror film for a generation that grew with the finest the genre ever had to offer

Author: C. P. Jr from Brazil
27 February 2012

As an avid horror fan I spend most of my time looking for new films that can actually be considered horror, since most people seem to believe nowadays that good horror means jump scenes and in your face scares. I've noticed by reading comments that there's a reason for the demise of the genre, which once was so fruitful: the younger the audience, the more impatient they are about the part of a horror film that actually makes it good cinema, the storytelling. Films such as The Exorcist, The Shining, Poltergeist and Rosemary's Baby (to name a few of my all time horror favorites) are timeless classics not because they focus on making you jump, but on having good characters, good mood and ambiance... and all of that takes time to build and patience from the audience, a scarce good in our times, so it seems. Much like Ti West's other great film, The House of the Devil, The Innkeepers takes its time being a FILM before going into the HORROR part of it... it has pretty good character development, sets an eerie and believable mood and, most of all, has great pacing. It does not take shortcuts to make young audiences shrill, it has no big jump scenes (thank God!!!), it has no unnecessary gore, it isn't fortuitously graphic and, above all, it has no useless explanations. Whenever I see people complaining about things such as idle dialogues and slow character build up I understand why in our day and age there are almost no good horror films anymore, the internet/social media generation has no patience, they seem not to understand that horror films are, first of all, FILMS, and as such some of the same rules that apply to films like, say, Ben Hur, also should apply to horror ones. The Exorcist is, to me, the perfect example of an almost flawless horror masterpiece, with PERFECT pacing, PERFECT character build up and TERRIFIC mood setting and all of those three very important pillars of filmmaking can't be rushed... I'd much rather see a film such as The Innkeepers, which takes its time to deliver a significant punch and makes you care whether someone actually dies in the film than others like Scream, which begins with cheap thrills and deaths and carry that way all along never caring about the story, the characters or anything that might vaguely resembles a good film. My point is, if you are a kid looking for a Z-Generation film, give this one a skip, but if you are looking for a proper horror film, that can actually be accounted as good cinema, not only loud scares, try The Innkeepers and (if you haven't already) The House of the Devil... Ti West has shown himself to be one of the few new directors that really understand what HORROR is all about.

A good thriller.

Author: Kris Stroempl from United States
9 January 2012

After watching and being a fan of Ti West's House of the Devil I had high expectations for The Innkeepers and I was consistently happy with the film from start to finish. Although the movie runs a little slow, West spends the earlier portion getting you to know the main character and supporting roles, you really start to get a feel of Claire's character and West makes her very relatable to the audience. The slow pace of the movie provides an edge-of-the-seat thrill and the aesthetically pleasing cinematography keeps a film enthusiast entertained. The film's score is beautiful, yet haunting and the costume and set design put the film into a believable late-90's time period. I would highly recommend The Innkeepers to any avid horror/suspense fans, I wouldn't expect many jump scares but more so a post-credit psychological creep-out.

Very creepy horror movie

Author: tonifreakshow from United States
11 January 2012

I'm a fan of horror films. I've been watching them for over thirty years. I read about this film in an article about the director Ty West. Having seen one of his previous films (The House of the Devil) which I liked I decided to Google this one. I read the description and the above review which is the reason I'm writing this review. It's a good thing I decided to ignore the other review because this is one of the best horror films I've seen in years. I'm only the second person to review this film as of yet(on this site). So read the first review and my feelings about it are the total opposite of the last reviewer. There are no serial killers or inbred cannibals or 30 something high school kids. If that's what you're into then look elsewhere. If you like well made,original and CREEPY films then look no further. Every scene had really cool camera angles. The set and mood were perfect as was the music. I loved the main characters and there was NOTHING cliché about them. I'm not going to spoil anything-watch it fresh. It's definitely worth your time if you are a true fan of the genre as I am. Watch it with the lights off!