IMDb > The Innkeepers (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Innkeepers

The Innkeepers More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Quality without gore

Author: desertbear34 from United States
17 August 2013

This is a good movie and is definitely worth watching. That being said I believe that a movie does not need buckets of blood and body parts flying to be suspenseful and scary. Don't get me wrong I like slasher films, but I also like scary movies that don't have to rely on senseless gore just for a shock factor. There are other more subtle and suspenseful tactics that can do the job. For instance, this movie replaces creepy stalker music with something more intimidating...silence. The acting in the movie is fine, not Oscar award acting but good enough. If there are any strikes against it, that would be it does drag a little and it can be a touch slow at times. Its not a repeat watch movie, but its more than worth watching at least once.

The reason you should stay in school

Author: Der_Schnibbler from Germany
17 July 2013

This movie perfectly captures the desperation, hopeless, and wasted existence of two young people whose lives are going nowhere fast. The future old men and women you see eating the early bird special alone at your local diner and wonder what they did with their lives to end up this way.

What they did was drop out of college, get low wage jobs, and be completely content with it. No goals, no drive, no motivation to do anything except waste away the time God gave them on this earth being losers, nobodies.

Aside from spending an hour and a half listening to their painfully inane conversations, there's also some "plot" about them looking for a ghost in the hotel in which they work. Supposedly.

Nothing happens in this film. It's not a horror film by any stretch of the imagination. It's not a comedy. It's just two lonely losers pissing away the moments of their lives. It would've been amusing were they not representative of so many real people. But I guess they can't all be useful. The genetic chaff must be trimmed away somewhere. This is precisely the reason I worked hard to make enough money so that one day I do not have to depend on "service" from these types of ignorant insignificants (they can't even do their monkey's job right).

This is a great cautionary film to show to a class of college (or high school) students or, better yet, any friend of loved one you may have who is going down the path of obscurity, to let them see what'll happen if they do not receive a proper education. Their minds will be mush like these two depressing nobodies, only preoccupied with the most asinine of pursuits.

Seen any other way, this film was a waste of time. Thank God I didn't pay for it, so that none of my dollars went into these peoples' pockets.

Innkeepers, direct me to the nearest bed please, because this was a snoozefest...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
13 July 2013

As much as I enjoy horror movies, I never gotten around to watching "The Innkeepers", not before now anyway. Having found the DVD at a great bargain on the Amazon marketplace, I finally got around to watching it.

And with all the hype and great reviews and praise the movie had received, I believed I was in for a rather pleasant and enjoyable movie. Well, I was surprised, this wasn't even anything remotely close to anything I had expected.

First of all, you need to get well over one hour into the movie before anything starts to happen. And even then, it is nothing overly scary or overly impressive.

Don't get me wrong, the movie is nice to look at, it is well shot, well edited and well acted, however it is just anything but scary. And having to sit for over an hour without anything happening is just downright boring and could be considered torture.

The hotel itself and the sets were nice, and it did have a very nice touch to it. Sort of a very realistic and idyllic sense in the imagery throughout the movie.

The DVD cover brandishes "the scariest ghost story for years..." and "a classic in every sense". Well, of course we are all of different mindsets and views, but I beg to differ on those two statements.

Sara Paxton (playing Claire), Pat Healy (playing Luke) and Kelly McGillis (playing Leanne Rease-Jones) all did good jobs with their given characters, and had a lot riding on their backs, as there was almost no other people in the movie. So the pressure of performing well and carrying the movie was great, but they rose up to the occasion.

"The Innkeepers" was predictable, anything but scary and rather disappointing. This is definitely not a movie that will be haunting my DVD player for a second watching.

top horror film

Author: kelvynchin from Singapore
6 January 2013

Indie horror film maker Ti West scores another home run with this sophisticated slow burn haunted house story. Set and shot in an actual reputedly haunted hotel, pic has an excellent cast, atmospheric sound design, ominous film score, and generally excellent technical credits.

Claire and Luke are the last staff manning the hotel before it closes down; they do a spot of ghost spotting on the side. But we all know that they should just let restless spirits alone. Before long, a ghostly presence begins making its' presence felt, in increasingly malevolent fashion. This is a classically made ghost story with very little gore and director West meticulously crafts pics' sophisticated chills.

It takes almost an hour before anything scary happens; however the three leads are appealing enough to carry the pic (Sara Paxton is particularly winsome as the heroine)- and the final payoff is definitely worth it. One of the best horror films of the year, I loved it.

Offbeat and quarky with a supernatural bent

Author: Shawn Gordon (gordytheghoul) from United States
23 August 2012

A nicely done creep fest that I missed in theaters last February, when it was given a limited theatrical run. The Innkeepers combines elements of a 90's slacker comedy with a haunted house story. Starting out as a character piece and slowly descending into horror. This is a little more thoughtful than a lot of terror flicks, more leisurely paced, but all the richer for it.

Written, directed and edited by Ti West, who previously directed the excellent old school shocker The House of the Devil (2010). This well written and often very funny movie has two twenty-something , the inkeepers of the title, working in an old hotel with minimal guests on the last week before they are closed and subsequently demolished. They are highly susceptible asthmatic Claire (Sara Paxton) and the slightly older Luke (Pat Healy), who have been tracking a ghost who is said to dwell in the hotel, for sometime on their live internet feed. Not much has happened, so far, so Claire decides to help the proceedings along a bit by trying to make contact with the help of a psychic and former TV sitcom star (played by 80's movie star Kelly McGillis) staying at the hotel.

The movie works best when it is focusing on the two amiable main characters and there very humorous interactions. Not so much when the film takes a turn towards horror, but at least it is never graphic enough to completely spoil the feel of the earlier scenes. The ghosts are not well developed, we learn next to nothing about them, which frustrated me a bit. This isn't great, but better than a lot of recent chillers, but I still would have preferred old school indie comedy over the admittedly limited spilled blood.

Fantastic showcase of Ti Wests repertoire

Author: bennyhagen from Hungary
18 May 2012

Ti West showcases his talent by pulling of every scare you have ever seen, one after the other with extreme skill and panache. His flair for thrills seems as natural as it is outstanding but this movie lacks essence. The prolonged build-up lasts till the very end and then shows itself pointless as missing to culminate into... "something". This not only makes you feel like having watched an episode of Outer Limits in a way but also has one ask himself if maybe Mr.West entered a bet, whether one can do a ghost movie without a ghost or not. Well he partly succeeded. Still, while it was a bit hard to ignore the lack of a proper antagonist here, I was sincerely frightened, impressed and look forward to Ti Wests' next Project.

The Shining & Haunting sitcom version

Author: Gabriel Teixeira from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 December 2012

'The Innkeepers' tell us an old, well-known story: the small staff of an about-to-close-its-doors hotel with a terrible history of suicide and ghosts start to experience strange things, with strange guests arriving and strange happenings(the piano starting to play by itself, for example).

Right there you probably already got the inspirations for the story. The 'people in a hotel where strange things happens' came to popularity through 'The Shining'; the film doesn't even try to hide it and flat out homage Kubrick's masterpiece. Like it, it is separated in 'acts', with intertitles between each one. The fascination with a certain room, the ghost itself, and some other situations are quite easily identifiable with The Shining.

And the haunted house story is best remembered in 'The Haunting'. The employees are interested in the supernatural, and at points go out of their way to investigate it. One of the guests, an ex-actress, also evocates 'The Haunting'-esque moments.

However, unlike those two, 'The Innkeepers' seems afraid of the silence and slowness those movies used to create tension.

Ti West tries to evade it with a lighthearted approach, making the staff(composed of a man and a woman) engage in...

Sitcom type talks and situations.

It's alright to try to break the conventions once in a while, but that was THE one that made horror movies great; not only that, but a sitcom approach only makes the movie lose the genuine atmosphere that such a choice of scenario brings. When done right, a comedic approach can bring a good change of pace to an horror('Evil Dead' being the biggest example), but a sitcom-level comedy? It is already an horror by itself, there's no need to overkill.

The acting is subpar at best. Between the main actors, Pat Healy truly looks like he is always bored and often tries to be funny; he looks taken straight from a sitcom. Sara Paxton is not very charismatic, and her character suffers from the usual stereotypical stupidness of horror victims, but she manages to work adequately. The supporting cast is mostly uneventful, though George Riddle looks kinda creepy.

Overall, despite the scenario conveying the right mood for an horror, a few good scenes and an adequately chilling last scene, Ti West's refusal to attend to a basic convention that any horror director should respect causes the movie to disappoint.

The Innsleepers...

Author: nuttinbutdatroof from United States
3 December 2012

This could be one of the worst "horror", and I use that term loosely, movies ever made. The scariest part of the movie is when you get to see Kelly McGillis and realize this is the same woman that Tom Cruise bird dogged in Top Gun. If Maverick knew that she'd wind up looking like this, he would have bypassed the eject button and rode that F-14 along with Goose right to the ground.

Why would Kelly McGillis agree to a role in this? I can only assume that the card board box she'd been living in was in disrepair and that the $100 they probably paid her was enough to buy the new one she wanted.

The plot: there's an Inn, these two innkeepers, and a ghost. Well that probably was the original idea but the writers must not have put as much time as I did on this review to expand upon it, or they ran off with the script after seeing Kelly the first day of the shoot.

Sara Paxton plays Claire, one of the Innkeepers. She must have landed the role after once again losing out as a stunt double for a Reece Witherspoon movie. Pat Healy is Luke, the other Innkeeper. He must have borrowed some of the mousse that Ben Stiller provided to Cameron Diaz to fix his hair, or what's left of it. Pat probably got the part because he was the owner of the new box that Kelly McGillis wanted to buy and she wanted to keep her eye on him to make sure he didn't throw it out before she got paid the $100 that she needed to buy it.

The writer/director Ti West should consider a new career such as running this Inn. Given its lack of guests, he'd have time to watch his movie and realize that it's time for a career change. Perhaps he can be a card board box salesman and provide McGillis with her next one down the road.

Great setup, lame payoff

Author: curtis martin from Bothell, Washington, Land of Rain
8 October 2012

"The Innkeepers" has a great, if overlong, set up. The characters are engaging and are well played by very talented actors--especially Sarah Paxton. The film is almost a comedy, but there is also a well-constructed sense of suspense. Unfortunately, both the affection that the filmmaker Ti West is able to make us feel for the characters and the slow-boil suspense that he builds are wasted on an extremely pedestrian climax. I won't spoil it for you, but let's just say that no one can blame the obviously clever Mr.West of getting "too clever" with his film's conclusion. I can't help but say that if West had come up with a better ending "The Innkeepers" would have been a classic. As it is, though, you can have fun with this movie if you go into the attitude that the journey is more important than the destination (it's not really more important, but that's the attitude you'll have to have not to feel ripped off).

Not impressed, Mr. West.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
2 October 2012

The first scare of The Innkeepers comes courtesy of one of those diabolical internet videos wherein the viewer is suckered into staring intently at the screen for ages waiting for something to happen only to have the crap scared out of them by a screaming effigy suddenly appearing from out of nowhere.

Director Ti West then takes this basic premise and applies it to the rest of his film, delivering long stretches of total boredom, the obnoxious characters milling around participating in mundane activities and indulging in dull conversation, all in an effort to catch his audience off-guard with a cheap fright. Not only is this dreadfully irritating after the umpteenth time, but it means that 90% of his film is a real snooze-fest.

As with his 2009 film, House of the Devil, West does manage to create a fairly creepy atmosphere, mostly through effective use of his 'old dark house' location and a brooding soundtrack, but this is completely negated by the endless tedium. If West ever wants to make a truly terrifying horror movie, he really must pay a lot more attention to pacing and character development. So far, I'm not impressed, Mr. West.

3.5 out of 10, rounded up to 4 for IMDb.