IMDb > "The Cape" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Cape"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Cape" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Not perfect, but still a fun ride.

Author: James Connor from United States
10 January 2011

This show has received a lot of bad reviews thus far, and I find that uncalled for. Sure, many people may not see the appeal in this show, what with it being a superhero story that we have seen before, but I think this is a great show. If you did not enjoy the first episode, DO NOT GIVE UP, as the show gains a firmer footing even as soon as the second episode. The story gets deeper, the characters more pronounced, and the plot thickens. I am somewhat disappointed that they introduced Cape's sidekick so soon, as seeing Vince struggle through the trials of becoming a superhero would have been more believable.

This show attempts to capture the grandiose story of a hero such as Batman, but without our hero having the benefits of unending cash and gadgets. It also keeps the storytelling style gritty and dark, but without going completely film noir.

While this show's debut has many in doubt, I have throughly enjoyed it so far, and I look forward to the continued adventures of the Cape.

Trouble Defining an Audience

Author: F_Hugh_Seekay from Canada
10 January 2011

If The Cape were aimed at children or as a program to be watched by the whole family, it's campiness and cheese would be appropriate. It would be a GREAT show to enjoy as a family and in that enjoyment I could get past some of the overly clichéd acting, directing, and dialogue. However, some of the language, some of the violence, and the current time slot seem to indicate that the producers aren't interested in a preteen audience... and the silliness, plot holes, and overall feel presented in the Pilot lead me to believe they won't be able to develop a loyal audience of mature viewers. I can't imagine The Cape lasting much beyond an initial order of episodes. For all of the potential the show has, it misses on too many levels and fails to properly reach any defined audience.

Liked it despite some of it's rough edges.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
9 January 2011

ABC's new show "The Cape" has a lot of good things going for it; especially with it's 1940's pulp-inspired superhero atmosphere, suspense, and hints at the mystical, which I really liked and hope in the near future, gets further explored. However, I felt the plot went by WAY too quickly. It would've been nice to see the plot unfold at a reasonably slower pace and get the audience to become more accustomed to the characters and proceedings. But there are some decent plot twists that made me smile though there are few between as the premiere episode was two hours long so even at that length, not everything can be fully explained.

I must say that it was a good start to a series that's hopefully getting better and better at the moment but I won't get my hopes up too soon as NBC's more recent superhero show, which had so much potential in which to build on(as evidenced by it's stellar first season) but with writer's strikes and the realization that Tim Kring and co really had no foundation for the subsequent seasons, the show died a tragic death. I'm hoping that with more polish and sophistication that this series will be a hit unless NBC and those on board learn their lessons and not screw it up.

A real fun ride !

Author: self_indulgent from Canada
10 January 2011

I read with astonishment some of the criticisms of this new series ! Some are so highbrow as not to be believed...

It seems that some "connoisseurs" feel free to measure everything new up against whatever they feel to be their most incredible movie viewing experience...given this, most other movies will fall short.

It seems senseless to criticize a hamburger for not being a prime filet mignon .. a hamburger is a hamburger... the only question should be.. "Is this a good hamburger".

The acting seems tight considering it is meant to be comic book based. The characters are fun to watch.. Other than the whole situation being unbelievable (this is where we have to suspend belief) it is a fun ride.... and YES this is a wonderful hamburger !

There could have been more time spent on developing the characters but perhaps this will be dealt with in upcoming episodes.

I am hesitant to admit that I have very much enjoyed this show so far...after all , I also very much enjoyed Firefly(13 episodes),Raines (7 episodes) and several others that were axed by the networks before they had a chance to gather a fan base.

If we as viewers cannot rally behind new (and possibly quirky) programming then we have ourselves to blame when we are fed nothing but "reality shows" and the sixth season of "My dog dances better than your dog"

I sincerely hope that "The Cape" is given time to attract fans.

I am already one of them.

Cheesy but Fun

Author: jacob-dean-schauer from United States
17 January 2011

If your a geekball/fanboy like me and if you saw the previews for this show you probably watched the premiere of it. I've read some reviews that say that this show is either mediocre or bad, but for me it was actually pretty cool. It's true that there are some parts of the plot that seem a little disjointed but did you really expect a fine piece of literature. The characters are all pretty cool and even though the villain chess is a bit stereotypical and the villain scales seems like he has a skin condition just so he can seem like a super villain they are both charming in their on ways. The show is full of excitement and entertainment. I would recommend this to anyone who likes comic books or adventure.

Just Fun

Author: sororoma from United States
1 March 2011

Every Monday I look forward to watching "The Cape". I liked it at first and as the season progressed it became even more interesting. Episodes build on one another with clues as to where the story is taking you and keeps unfolding each week.

It took a few episodes to get going but it really needed this to lay the groundwork of the storyline and characters.

This show is relatively mindless but still keeps you interested with twists and new villains. The villains have been the key to its success. It is easy to understand so it is good for the whole family.

Although the violence can be a bit much for the younger ones and sometimes me, who is looking for shows with less violence, it is still a far cry from most TV shows.

It is basically sexless which again makes it good for families.

Batman meets The Fugitive

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
12 January 2011

Vince(David Lyons) is an honest cop, and is happily married with a son. But Vince's good life is quickly taken away from him, when he is framed for crimes by a certain criminal, and is believed to be killed in an explosion. But Vince is quickly taken in by a circus act led by Max(Keith David). Once Vince gets his strength back, he is eager to taken down the people that framed him. He finds a cape with awesome abilities, Max trains Vince on how to use it. Now crime has a new enemy, a superhero known as "The Cape".

A good show, a little flawed, but still entertaining. I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as M.A.N.T.I.S.(1994) and Birds Of Prey(2002). The actors do well, and the action scenes are alright. I hope it will last a while, but if it doesn't, can't say they didn't try.

The Cape _ Finally, a show worth watching on NBC

Author: tekwyzrd from United States
10 January 2011

The first two episodes of The Cape are an example of what to do to interest viewers. The show had a "feature film" feel as opposed to the low budget hack feel of most modern television programming. I can only hope that future episodes continue to meet viewer expectations.

While not a "fan", I'll admit I enjoyed seeing Summer Glau in another television series. I was disappointed by the untimely demise of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse.

To summarize, with most networks spewing a continuous stream of cop, lawyer, and medical shows, NBC has created a show that stands above the rest.

Pretty Good (After 3 Episodes)

Author: Caleb Stevens from Chicago
17 January 2011

I'm not a fan of comics or superheroes at all. However, I really like well made Batman things. I don't watch NBC too often so I didn't see any advertising for this. I was lucky to stumble upon it when I was chatting with a guy and his cousin (Eric Micheal Cole) is going to be in the episode "Scales on a Train" on January 24th. So, I watched the premiere and was pleasantly surprised. However, you have to be paying attention during this TV show because it moves very fast and has no unnecessary scenes. Some of the dialog can be very cheesy which gets really annoying. I love the creative idea of The Carnival of Crime and it adds a whole new element to the story. This is something that you'll have to watch from the start so you know why he has the cape and how he got the cape. Fortunately, the "Pilot" is available as a free download on iTunes. You don't have to like superheroes/comics to like this. Not everybody will enjoy this series but it has loads of potential. Just try to ignore the cheesy dialog and this series can be very enjoyable.

Should be called "Plot too fast"

Author: skippy580 from Sparks Nevada
14 January 2011

This show has several good ideas that were thrown out and replaced with what was shown. The plot was lightning fast. First he's a cop, commercial, then he works for ARK, Orwell tells him about L-9, commercial, Faraday is Chess and he dies, not really. That should have been the first show with the introduction to The Crime Circus in episode 2.

So Faraday is trained and fights 12 rounds with Marty from Pirates of the Caribbean. I can't see that a "superhero" couldn't pin a little person down for that long. Then Faraday fights Scales and thrown in the river then it takes Rollo 2 seconds with a pipe wrench to take out Scales. The real hero is Rollo and he kicks major ass! I hope they can slow down and then find some ground to work with. This show has some potential, but not for the uninspired naming of villains and heroes, except for Orwell, that was good, and she is hot.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]