IMDb > The Hunters (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A confusing picture

Author: JoeB131 from United States
13 January 2013

Despite the American sounding actors, this movie was made in Europe, and it shows. I think this is supposed to have been set in either Canada or the US (they never make it clear) but the dialog is kind of confused, as though someone didn't quite check their translations. That and they think America is Murder-Land.

The plot is that a foursome of hunters are using an abandoned fort as a spot to take out their frustrations on the world by hunting other people. I should point out that the setting of the Fort was probably the best thing about the movie, the place truly is creepy and a bit disturbing. Compared to the rest of the film, which is a disjointed mess.

Meanwhile, a cop who has just returned from Afghanistan disobeys his clearly unbalanced chief's orders meets up with an informant at said Fort. Unbeknownst to him, the Chief is on the whole, "Murder people for fun" gag and has been covering up the missing person reports.

The ending was truly the sign that this was not made by Americans, because the whole notion of dramatic tension that even a first year film student learns is lost on these guys.

A Convoluted and Nonsensical Disaster

Author: Billy_Crash from United States
20 January 2012

This tale is so convoluted and nonsensical I can't imagine how this ever got green lit for production. Poorly written by Michael Lehman, with some questionable acting (especially from Terence Knox and Philip Correia), one can only wonder why Chris Briant, who directed and starred, didn't demand a better narrative. Either performing both duties overwhelmed Briant, or his ego exploded. Either way, knowing this was his first film for both acting and directing, the clunky storytelling may make some sense. Worst still, though one may think the editing was poor, I'm sure editor Nafi Dicko cried over this mess of story and did his best with the pitiful material he received. The ½ star, however, goes to cinematographer John B. Aronson who has given us one of the best looking worst movies ever seen, and to Steven Waddington and Tony Becker for bringing us grounded characters even in a pathetic lost cause. Sadly, what could have been a tremendous character study for both their on-screen personas, which would have provided a truly disturbing and sobering tale, was completely lost.

Why Lehman introduced a third rate police angle into the mix, and a horrendously trite and overly clichéd reveal, is beyond comprehension.

I rarely say this, but because THE HUNTERS is so poorly crafted, I recommend avoiding this mess at all costs – so you won't fall prey to giving the producers one thin dime (or euro in this case).

the trailer fooled me!

Author: shayma000
10 January 2012

It was an absolute waste of time. The trailer is much better than the movie. It made me feel stupid because I actually watched it until the end since I thought that something interesting might happen any minute !!

At some point I felt like watching a movie done by college students! low budget is not an excuse, I've seen so many interesting low budget movies that really take you there, to the thriller atmosphere. For instance, the caller (2011) has all the elements of a good thriller movie.

It also failed to deliver the psychological part which made the script much more fragile. With some movies you know that you shouldn't expect a lot from the beginning but this one had a good start somehow which I hated because it fools the viewer to expect more when there is nothing coming that worth to watch.

After I watched this, the only sentence that was in mind is " are they serious? "

Please get out of here ! Just go !

Author: demetrius11 from Athens, Greece
26 January 2012

"Please get out of here ! Just go !". This is an actual line from the movie, but in my opinion it is also a hidden message the director managed to pass to the audience, begging them to stop watching before the "breathtaking" (awful) finale. Even though I have decided due to the overwhelming number of terrible movies out there, to stop commenting on all of them, this was a movie I could not let pass just like that. It is not so much the idea of the story, as much as the horrific execution! And I suppose this is also the reason it is categorized as a horror movie.

The movie starts slowly, trying to introduce us to the characters with boring unrehearsed dialogue and repeating harmonium tunes. The repeating tunes I found quite annoying to be honest as they are there, no matter what the protagonists are doing. Is someone's head been cut off? (you wish) Harmonium tune. Are the protagonists kissing ? (You wish again) Another Harmonium tune...

Frankly, I can not understand the persistence of some producers in investing their money in such ways. This particular movie has not a single ingredient that can produce the slightest revenue. There is no blood (not really), no suspense, no action, no nudity, no romance. The target group for this movie could only be Dianna Argon fans, who are going to be very disappointed since she is basically a guest star, with no actual reason to be cast in this movie. I will not get into specific details (I do not want to spoil it for you), but the ending is a bad cliché, and Dianna's only reason of being there (besides making some extra cash in her Glee break)is because someone is not a hero until he has saved a cute blonde from the claws of evil madmen.

Truly Horrific... Horrifically Awful that is...

Author: Ross Little
28 January 2012

This film is a horrendous waste of nearly two hours of your life. It is a failure on every level.

The plot... or plots... or lack of a plot... is the most glaring and intensely mind numbing problem with the film. It hits you from the outset: the threads are all there if held together by nothing else than the most tenuous of links, but they seem to have been crafted and developed with much the same skill as high school short story. Lamentably though, had this been a high school short story then at least the teacher would have taken their red pen to each page and scored the word 'Drivel' across it. And, don't even get me started on the absolutely massive glaring holes in what little plot there is.

This lack of plot is compounded by the fact that none of the actors can actually act so what little character development there is, is entirely unbelievable at best and largely ends up being laughable. I mean, I actually guffawed more than once at the terrible terrible lack of acting skill. I don't think the cast were entirely to blame though, the script was so utterly clichéd and clumsy that there really was no other way to deliver it.

As you might think, surely the cinematography would make up for this. Well, I have two words for you BLUE FILTER. This to me, is an absolute giveaway that all is not well - when every scene has a blue hue added to it and the scene desaturated in post production. And whilst on the topic of production, did they lose ANY scenes in the edit? I mean ANYTHING? I'm surprised they just didn't string the rushes together and call it job done.

The location is, erm, repetitive - if you like looking at the walls of forts (or more accurately the same wall of a fort) then you will love this. Also, wet leaves feature quite a lot as do incredible bullet attracting and spark producing trees. It's an incredible coincidence that every single bullet that didn't meet its target hit the nearest tree and produced a shower of sparks. And, someone explain to me the problem with the breath - now you see it... now you don't... even in the same scene the temperature apparently changes wildly. As for Special FX... the blown off leg was particularly hilarious, as were the mounted heads - I can't tell you how bad they were - Like Hammer Horror but without the tongue in cheek self awareness.

All in, utterly awful - I cannot recommend enough that you employ the two hours of this film's duration in any other way possible but watching it.

Bad, worse, The Hunters...

Author: horizonbay from Germany
30 December 2011

Don't waste your time on this one because after watching it, all you are going to feel is emptiness. I think the movie was pushed towards too many different directions where none of them were properly explored in the end. You don't feel anything for any of the characters whether they are on the good or bad side. I had the feeling that the movie was cut together from many different short movies. There were scenes where I thought "Wait a moment! Did someone switch the movie while I was almost falling asleep!?" There is no point in mentioning everything bad about this movie because it would be rather an endless and extremely boring review.

A Big W.T.F.

Author: ohsokool from United States
30 December 2011

Where do I start? I saw the trailer and as a fan of "b-movies" I figured I'd give it shot. The only reason why I watched this clusterfluck all the way through, is so that I'd be justified in writing a fair review. And to be fair, this movie is horrible. Great shots and cool cinematography, and really the acting isn't bad, its the storyline; (insert drum-roll here) there is none. Absolutely none. The synopsis of this film is so inaccurate. Nothing makes any sense.

Where does this movie take place? France? America? Canada? Why does it take 23 minutes to even get an idea of what this movie "might" be about? Don't even think about watching this film high, drunk or on drugs because it will sober you up quick.

To the writer of this film, I wish I had the money you obviously have. I'd take a few wads of hundred dollar bills and smack you in the face with them repeatedly. This has to be the worst b-movie I have ever seen. Watch at your own risk.

Not a complete waste of time, but as close to it as you can get.

Author: Crystal from Netherlands
18 November 2015

Not a complete waste of time, but as close to it as you can get. Horribly bad script, resulting in bad acting. Cinematography is great, as most say, but if the rest is crap ... what's the point? What really seriously annoyed me, is that about an hour in, lingo is French only, no subtitles. I can make out "You go left, and I go right." and "We go north" but that's about it. The main character is very poorly cast. Bad, bad acting. And if he's supposed to be a trained soldier, why can't he handle himself better in the situation he finds himself in? And why does he empty about an entire clip into a bloke who was dead after bullet Nr 3? Shouldn't he be sparing his ammo? He wouldn't exactly be walking around with his pockets filled with clips now, would he?

Like many already said, sparks flying off trees is slightly silly to say the least.

I don't really understand why Terence Knox and Tony Becker went for this movie, other than maybe they wanted to work together again and/or got a free trip to Europe out of it? Take my advice: Next time pay for your own holiday to Europe, grin. At least ya save yourself the bad critics and stuff.

And why the heck mix up French and American in one movie? French people speaking English is just ... horrible! (Read with French accent for effect, please). It's like watching "Allo, allo", except then the bad French accents were funny.

Also, some people mention there's romance in this movie. I must have dozed off?

Problematic and troublesome effort

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
23 July 2015

Trying to secure a potential client, a detective escorting a witness away from an abandoned fortress in the middle of the woods finds the area overrun by sadistic hunters attempting to keep their hunter grounds quiet and must try to get away alive.

Overall this was quite a disappointing effort that does have a few good points. When this one gets to the end, this one is incredibly entertaining as it tends to focus more on the stalking and brutality of the hunters than possible, which is immensely fun with the first seemingly innocent encounter along the trail and the following ambush setting the stage for their game through the woods resulting in his capture making for a fine start to this. There's the demented escape attempt from the underground tunnels and the fun brawling encounter with the deranged hunter that comes off rather nicely here, as well as the first big chase through the woods after his escape where he comes into a thrilling gunfight along the mad dash to get away which is highly exciting, along with the final gunfight pinned down against the wall that makes for a good time overall here. Those are enjoyable enough but the big flaws here manage to hold them off quite well. The biggest issue here is the fact that this one is just so boring and bland to get going that it's nearly impossible to get anything really interesting here for most of the first hour. Tending to the utterly down-beat and depressing lives of the hunters makes the film a drag to get through with this one as hardly any of these scenes make you interested in where this one's going, and the other scenes of the detective trying to get acclimated to life on the force and gaining a girlfriend with the secretary here are no better since these are just dull and lame, and both of them keep this one from getting to its horror scenes for an extended period of time. As well, this goes to such an extent at trying to humanize them that the groups' actions become quite curious as to why they would engage in this, especially at such a crowded area that occurs here and makes their decision to do this quite hard to reason. Lastly, there's also the incredibly lame finale that just doesn't seem to know what it wants to do, from agonizingly slow, drawn-out scenes with background characters that don't mean anything, a torturously slow captive sequence that makes no sense and a limp, lifeless resolution that goes nowhere and really tends to stand out as being really lame. These here do manage to bring this one down significantly.

Rated R: Extreme Graphic Language and Graphic Violence.

Violence is the True Horror

Author: revbighig
10 October 2014

I have a zillion cable movie channels, but lately all showing the same handful of movies. So when I see a new title appear, I'm on to it. Knew nothing about this flick, and had no expectations. But within a short time I was hooked. Who are all these people, where does this slow, convoluted start lead? Unlike some reviewers, slow and convoluted does not put me off -- quite the opposite. It arouses my curiosity, makes me think, pay attention. I don't need to "get it" in the first fifteen minutes. I don't think it's a spoiler as it was quite obvious in the flashbacks, though seldom mentioned in these reviews, these guys were badly messed up vets who couldn't leave it behind. They brought it home and set up their new war-zone in that creepy park. And being sanctioned by the chief of police made it all work -- for awhile. I thought it was violent, frightening and very possible in this gun obsessed culture. Horror that is possible scares me far more than zombies, vampires and space aliens. I found the acting just fine, but couldn't figure out the point (or need) of the girl, unless to add a pinch of sweetness and light. I've seen far worse movies released to the cinemas. I think this one should have been.

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]