IMDb > Insidious (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Insidious

Insidious More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 76:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Scariest Movie I've Seen In Years!!!

Author: Chad Brinkman from United States
31 March 2011

I went into this movie confident that it would be a cheesy, campy romp with the same "tried and true tricks of the trade," like when the hero is investigating the creepy music coming from the basement and a cat jumps into frame, but I quickly discovered that this would not be case with Insidious. After watching the move and obsessing on it for about 12 hours now, I can honestly say it's one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. In fact, there were several points during the film where I screamed like a 13-year old girl at a Justin Beiber concert. Keep in mind I was consciously trying my hardest to keep my composure, mainly because I was sitting beside my new girlfriend of 2 months. She, incidentally, didn't make a peep; thankfully, I later found out she had her eyes closed the whole time.

I was also expecting to see some blood and guts, especially coming from the guys who made Saw, but there wasn't a drop. Instead, they used just about everything else in their arsenal to scare the bejesus out of me and everyone else in the theater (my girlfriend included). From literally the opening credits, they created an intense, haunting tension that didn't leave my body till several whiskeys and half a Xanax later. And the movie constantly feeds that tension, making even the characters' mundane family life somehow seem utterly terrifying. I was actually exhausted leaving the theater from all of the uncomfortable squirming I was unable to control. I'd say it's the most calories I've ever burned while watching a movie (well, at least a PG-13 movie).

Overall, the movie was great. It was crazy scary, thoroughly entertaining, and even surprisingly funny at times. Having said that, it will be quite some time before I watch another horror movie; I have no desire to be turned into a frazzled bundle of nerves again anytime soon. So, if you plan on seeing this movie, please consider this a cautionary reminder: it's probably best to go with someone who's already witnessed you have a complete physical and mental breakdown, so as to avoid an embarrassing drive home. And maybe bring a Xanax as well.

I will have trouble sleeping tonight....

Author: blackmambamark from United States
3 April 2011

Of all the genre's that Hollywood has to offer, the most tattered of the bunch is without a doubt the horror department. I am so sick of these wannabe 'so called' horror flicks that belong on late night lifetime channel. Im sick of the same old parlor tricks and scare tactics that have been used for the past 10 years. And i am even more sickened by the fact that they keep making the same crap year after year. You would figure after great horror flicks like "The Decent" and "Paranormal Activity", studios would start realizing what actually works and what audiences want to see. Hopefully in the coming years, this genre' will come back to life.

When it comes to horror movies, i think the two most crucial elements are the cinematography, and the musical score. Actually, i prefer there to be no music at all. Almost all the great horror movies never use it, because they rely on scaring the audience with disturbing images, not raised music that makes everyone jump. If i want that, I'll go to a haunted house. When i go to see a horror flick, i want it to leave a lasting impression. However, movies like this are the one exception.

This film had such amazing cinematography, that i didn't even care about those 'raised music' sequences. I rarely get creeped out at the theater, and this movie scared the crap out of me. I'm talking' sweaty palms, eyes wide open, my body sunk all the way down in my chair scared. And for those of you who have read my reviews in the past, i hardly ever say that about a horror flick. And what really sold it was the cinematography. This film is packed with tons of really creepy and disturbing images. So much in fact, that you will hate walking into your dark house alone. Yes, they do use the same scare tactics, but since everything in the movie looked so damn creepy and demented, i for once didn't want the lead female to hurry up and open the basement door and get it over with.

The storyline is pretty decent. It's not an amazing concept or genuinely creepy on it's own. But it does a decent enough of a job to keep your interest and sell what your seeing unfold on screen. And it's safe to say that this is a very different take on your typical haunted house.

Bottom Line......holy crap, i just realized that this movie is only PG-13. Is it possible for a movie to be scary as hell and only be rated PG-13? The answer is yes, and this is a prime example of that. You know when a horror movie has done it's job? It's when it scares you both in the theater, and hours later when you try to sleep at night. Tonight, i will have lots of trouble sleeping. I can easily say that this will probably be the best horror movie of the year.

So scary....

Author: nicki9112 from United States
2 April 2011

When I first saw a preview for this movie, I knew it looked like it had potential. It had been a while since I saw a decent scary movie so I was looking forward to it. I went into it expecting some scares but nothing too bad. Wrong. This movie scared me out of my wits. I don't think I have ever jumped more during any other scary movie. The audience was spooked too. I saw many other people jumping out of their seats and even heard a few actual screams.

What I loved about this movie was that it actually tries to scare you, not gross you out. The images are frightening for sure. Insidious doesn't waste any time trying to creep you out. The scares already start with the opening credits. I sure was not expecting this to be one of the scariest movies i've seen but it lives up to that. That being said, I don't think I'd have the guts to see it again!

Best Scary Movies I've Seen In A While

Author: TheChampReview from United States
31 March 2011

I went to an early screening of the movie last night and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I felt like a little child watching The Exorcist for the first time. James Wan did a very impressive for only an $800,000 budget for this movie. If you're going in the theatre expecting to see the typical, run of the mill, haunted house flick you will be sadly mistaken and surprisingly pleased at the same time.

The parts that I liked most about the film is the detailing. Everything in the movie means something no matter how small and I love that when the suspense builds up for the audience to be scared, you won't be disappointed to find its just the dog or the tree brushing against the window....it will definitely be something to be scared of. The people sitting beside me kept laughing at me because whenever the suspense would build I would say to myself "uh uh....uh uh".

But enough of my rambling, the plot was definitely original and James Wan and Leigh Schanell definitely succeeded in bringing the audience something scary, suspenseful, funny, emotional, and frightening all at the same time. The score is amazing. The use of all sound design was great specially since they weren't any fake screams. LOL. The best acting performance, hands down, was Lin Shaye. She did an amazing job with her role. I can't say anymore without spoiling the movie. All I can say is, if you LOVE a good scary movie then you must see this movie.

Surprisingly Good and Intense

Author: movieman1947 from United States
2 April 2011

The film Insidious has done something many horror movies have failed to do recently, and that is to be scary.

Insidious has a lot of really intense moments that scare, and then grab hold of you. Its not entirely made up of "make you jump" scenes, which it does have, but scenes with genuine horror.

Insidious has taken a risk with doing something original, and It works here for them. Without giving anything away the movie does not just talk about whats scary, or show the the aftermath of something going on in a room that you can only hear until its over and the door magically unlocks. Insidious shows you whats scary, and quite often reminds you whats there, and waiting in the dark.

Hands down the best PG-13 horror movie ever

Author: jacobconant from United States
1 April 2011

When I went to the theater to see this, I had been excited for awhile. And boy, did this movie deliver. But it unexpectedly did more. I was thinking you'd get your exorcism, with everything being all happy and good in the end, but I honestly was not expecting something that complex.

I'll come out and say it: The outline of the movie was not that original, but what the writers did with the traditional ghost story was amazing. They twisted it to make it not so much about the ghosts, but about what was going on to the family in the house. How they were taking it.

The effects were great for this type of movie, which really only require a slamming door or a random person standing in. And I also thought the actors did a great job. I particularly liked Patrick Wilson playing the father that doesn't want to have any part of the hokus-pokus ghost stories, but is sort of pulled into it against his will.

The best part: It was genuinely scary. There is virtually no gore, because it's not needed to build the creepiness of the plot. It sort of builds and is intense right from the get go. I'm a major scary movie veteran, and I was truly scared (which doesn't happen often).

I highly recommend this movie to anyone up for a good scare. If you aren't an experienced scary movie watcher, this is a good starter. And trust me, you will check all the closets and doors when you get home from the theater.

Borrows a lot from other films, yet stands out on its own..enjoyable Horror movie

Author: med77_99 from Los Angeles
29 March 2011

Just came back from watching an advanced screening of " Insidious " tonight with my wife, we both liked it a lot. When it comes to Horror films, there are always the same Horror formulas which film makers really can't escape when making a Horror, because there aren't much they can work with and they are limited to that same formula. So Insidous borrows many of its ideas from other Horror films, one comes to mind is 1982 film " Poltergeist ", but here we have a family of 5, Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne play the parents of 2 boys and a little baby girl. after a slow build up, a small accident occur and their older son falls into comma or so it seems !! soon after, weird things start to happen at the house and the mother suspects evil spirits are in the house !!

A simple story that as i said was done before, however, I thought it was done differently here, there was a better atmosphere and some elements of the plot stood out as being fresh that made this film unique somehow. As scares goes, this was definitely scary, there were several moments in the film that gave me goosebumps !! there were also the classic jump out of your seat moments too. Some scenes were creepy and the mixing of music and sounds were done superbly to add to the Horror. so the movie does deliver as far as scares are concerned.

Acting was superb too, all cast involved did a very good job, particularly Rose Byrne whom I'm fond of after watching her in the excellent TV show " Damages ". Patrick Wilson was also good here.

the atmosphere was creepy, the director managed to catch nice footage of the house and other elements of the film.

So in summary, get ready and grab your loved ones and go catch this movie this Friday, it entertains. very enjoyable and scary, and even though it borrows ideas from other Horror films, it never imitates, it stand out as a new and fresh take on traditional Horror !!

I want my money back!!!

Author: watchit_84 from Liverpool, United Kingdom
10 May 2011

How people are claiming this is the scariest film in decades is beyond me.

I went to watch this, thinking it was going to be cheesy. I'd seen the trailer but I thought I'd give it a chance.

I was rather surprised for the first 20-30 minutes, and thought it was going to prove me wrong. Yes, the story had been recycled but it still could have been a good concept if done right.

Then the cheese and my giggles came pouring out. I was sitting there thinking WTH??? This can't be serious. 'Heavy face paint' is meant to scare me? I've seen better at Haloween!!! And as for the ghosts..... well, they made me cry...... with laughter!!! I can't believe I wasted my time and money. The thing that annoys me the most, is that it could have been a slightly different, more modern version of Poltergeist. At least that would have made it acceptable.

But no, another huge waste of time. I would not suggest it for any TRUE horror film fans.

Nothing you haven't seen before. They tried too hard to make it scary.

Author: tstrycula1 from United States
16 April 2011

I'm sorry, but honestly, I don't get what all the hype is about! To me, this movie seems so overrated! They were trying way too hard just to scare people, that it left no room for a good story or good acting. I actually think I was laughing more than being scared while watching this movie because of the ridiculous acting. And also, does anyone agree with me when I say the music was absolutely outrageous and over the top. Thats what I meant when I said they were trying too hard to scare the audience. Without the music this movie would be totally hopeless.

Not to mention they copied probably 3 to to 4 different movies. You got Poltergeist, with the kid getting lost in some other world and the dad goes in to save him. You got Dead Silence, with the smiling, doll look-a-like people. And you have all those exorcism movies with the demons and the devil thrown in there as well. Also, did anyone notice that the music was extremely similar to that of The Exorcist? Total copycat movie.

You get nothing new in this unoriginal and highly overrated movie. I would recommend this film to those who like cheesy teen horror flicks and like to be scared by stupid pop-out moments. To me, it was a very over-hyped movie that will probably be forgotten within the next year. I wouldn't waste my money. And if your still interested in this pathetic excuse of a horror movie, I would wait to rent it on DVD. Overall, it was a Hot Mess! Stay Away!

My Rating: 0-10

Waste of Time

Author: Mario Brescio from Trenton, New Jersey
31 July 2011

After reading many of the reviews listed here and Entertainment Weekly's quote, "Insidious has some of the most shivery and indelible images I've seen in any horror film in decades," and WCBS Radio's, "Most terrifying film since The Exorcist," there was no way I could miss this film.

To compare this sham of a film with a classic like The Exorcist is an insult to real horror film fans everywhere and apparently EW hasn't been to a horror film in decades. As far as all the other reviews that list this waste of time as being one of the scariest films, I just don't get it.

It was nothing more than a low-budget amateur attempt at a Poltergeist remake, and a really bad one at that. Apparently Barbara Hershey needed the check as well as the rest of the cast. They all acted as if they were thinking of somewhere else they'd rather be. I kept waiting for all those really scary moments that everyone was talking about…I'm still waiting. I laughed throughout the film, especially when Elise waits till Josh gets the crap beat out of him by the big bad demon, before she tells him he is stronger than the demon while looking for his son.

The story was a farce, the acting was lame, and I've seen scarier demons at my front door on Halloween.

The only horrors about this film were that I had to hear Tip Toe Through the Tulips after all these years of trying to block it from memory and that I paid $20 for this complete waste of time.

Page 1 of 76:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]