IMDb > Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Amazing.

Author: xThatOneKidx from United States
29 August 2013

I don't think I have ever seen a movie, as powerful yet light-hearted as this... "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" pulls off the perfect combination of sweet and sour, and rather well. There are two brothers, Jeff and Pat, who have lost contact for years. Jeff, obsessed with the thought of omens/signs, lives in his mother's basement. Pat, a married and somewhat successful man, finds out his wife is having an affair... This is a movie that will make you smile and cry. I haven't found a single moment in this movie that was boring or dull. I was intrigued with the plot and it's characters. All the characters are pretty likable. You feel sympathy for them because they're all suffering, and struggling with difficult situations. And Jeff still manages to pull them all back together again... This movie is absolutely amazing. If you like comedies/dramas, with a touch romance and adultery, I highly suggest this title to you. Don't pass up the chance to watch this movie, you'll be missing out on a great movie...

It Was Fate That I Watched This I Guess

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
27 July 2013

There were no signs that compelled me to watch this movie, so I guess I just have to chalk it up to fate. On the bright side, fate made sure that I'd watch a movie that was less than an hour and a half in length, so I didn't actually lose too much of my life to this. On the other hand, I didn't come away from it thinking that I had in any way watched a gem either.

It has its moments, but essentially it suffers from revolving around two essentially loser-type characters. Jeff (Jason Segel) is essentially a lazy bum. He spends his days apparently doing nothing but watching the movie "Signs" over and over again, and becoming obsessed with signs and fate as a result. He seems to have no job, and he lives with his mother (Susan Sarandon) - but he really detests being asked to do anything to help around the house. Then there's his brother Pat (Ed Helms) - who's a different kind of loser-type. Pat wants people to think of him as a success, but he's really a thoughtless bonehead who's little less than cruel to his wife and really wants little to do with his family - and, when you get right down to it, isn't really that successful anyway. As a result of - I guess - fate, Pat and Jeff hook up one day and have a few experiences that end up helping them and their families bond. How sweet. And I wasn't entirely sure that I got the need for the same-sex relationship (whether sexual or emotional was never really explained, although there was a kiss exchanged) between Sharon (Sarandon) and Carol (Rae Dawn Chong.) It just seemed to be thrown in for no especially good reason. Don't misunderstand me. It didn't offend me. I just didn't get the need for it. The Pat and Jeff stuff was quite enough.

It's short. By the time the movie gets to its last few scenes it becomes a little bit touching. And there are a few moments of humour in it. But really, for the most part, this came across to me as largely pointless and without direction. If you're really interested in a movie about fate and how all things - even seemingly unrelated things - work together for a positive outcome, take Jeff's advice - watch "Signs." (3/10)

I was looking for a Comedy, what I got was an engrossing, endearing film

Author: cynthia-ostrich from Alabama, United States
25 June 2013

'Jeff, Who Lives at Home' is a hidden gem of a film. When Netflix suggested it to me, I was hoping for a comedy. It stars Jason Segel and Ed Helms, men known for their comedic roles. What I got was a very engrossing and endearing film about the family bond, with a little funny mixed in. Jason Segel is Jeff, a 30 year old man who still lives in his mother's basement. He is still struggling and a little messed up by his father's death many years before. To Jeff, everything has a meaning, there are no accidents. When an accidental phone call reaches him at home, Jeff sets off on a day of adventure, trying to discover the meaning of the dialed wrong number.

Jeff's searching for the meaning of the call takes him to many places in town and into many run-ins with his older married brother Pat, played by Ed Helms. Pat is a nice contrast to this film with his self-centeredness and humor. His marriage is falling apart. Pat must ask for the help of Jeff to spy on his wife and to find out what is going on. The third character in the film is Sharon, Jeff and Pat's mother played by Susan Sarandon, who discovers she has a secret admirer at work. It takes place over the course of a day. The characters in the film find that their lives are bound and intertwined together. At the end of the film, it left me feeling the warm and fuzzies and glad I watched the show.

Way Underrated and Funny!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
31 May 2013

It's a shame that no one saw Jeff, Who Lives At Home because it's a really smart, funny indie comedy with good performances by some brand-name stars. I think the best part is where Jason Segel's character Jeff, thinks he can find his own meaning of life by watching Signs. This is a light-hearted comedy and most likely one of the most mainstream movies the Duplass brothers have done so far.

This film is about a slacker named Jeff who wants to find out his meaning of life so he meets up with his brother Pat, and together they also track Pat's wife to find out if she has been cheating on him or not.

Jason Segel is really good at these kind of characters. He reminds me of the character he played in I Love You, Man. He brings natural sweetness and sympathy to his character. Ed Helms practically plays himself from the Hangover movies but it's always fun to watch. Susan Sarandon also has some really funny and surprising scenes as well.

Overall, this is a surprisingly funny comedy that people should really see. I can't believe how bad it did at the box office. Jason Segel and Ed Helms make good pair-ups and maybe we'll see some more in the future. I rate this film 8/10.

Indie Romance

Author: shtove
10 May 2013

Really enjoyed this. Not perfect, but almost every scene got me interested and looking forward.

It's a sentimental romance, but with the excellent acting and dialogue you expect from a US indie film.

The climax was completely improbable, but I likes'd it. And the reveal on the mother's secret admirer worked perfectly.

I have to fill up the review before posting: Your review does not contain enough lines - the minimum length for reviews is 10 lines of text. Please see the guidelines. Attempts to pad the comment with junk words can result in your account being blocked from future submissions. There appear to be spelling mistakes in your review. Some suggestions have been made if you wish to correct them, but you do not need to do so to submit your review. Select the correct words from the dropdown menus and they will be replaced for you.

ps. the spelling mistakes are "dialogue" and "dropdown" (latter is from the IMDb cut and paste filler).

the film follows the lives of three main characters- all related- whose seemingly insignificant actions lead them to the right place at the right time.

Author: ralphlea0
22 April 2013

This film is fantastic. It was recommended to me by a friend and I must admit, despite starring one of my personal favorite actors- Jason Segel- I expected very little. It begins as one might expect, at Jeff's (Jason Segel) home. Jeff delivers a deep, serious monologue in which we begin to see the premise of the film outlined. Jeff believes that much as in the movie "Signs" everything is linked to everything else. I.E. It all happens for a reason. He then stands up and wipes his ass. This opening scene embodies the slow paced humor used throughout what is actually a very funny film. Much of the film is spent with the characters searching for some meaning to their life- whether it be Jeff, looking for a way out of his mother's basement, Pat (Ed Helms) trying to fix his broken and loveless marriage or Sharon (Susan Sarandon) a woman desperately caught between her two failing sons and her own lost dreams. Having watched it numerous times, I can say that it is not a film one can skip through. Every second contributes significantly, building towards the final scene. I don't want to give away the plot more than necessary- it's utterly superb in every aspect from timing and suspense to characterization- but the accumulation of moments, all relevant to what happens in the last ten minutes is truly astounding. And every time you watch the film, you notice something new that you missed before; something tiny and seemingly insignificant that makes it all come together in the end. As for the characters, they are handled extremely well but it seems each one becomes someone new by the end. They are all very changed by their experiences over the course of the day. Pat embodies the typical "douchebag" brother, slamming Jeff and his beliefs, not listening to his wife and generally being a dumb-ass. Sharon is lost. Just as lost as Jeff truth be told, but caught in the position of caregiver despite her personal struggle. She is depicted humorously but as with many of the aspects of this film, has a relatable and unavoidable twist of realism.

Jeff is the most heavily featured and is a lovable, although ultimately useless layabout. He seemingly drifts about, waiting for life to come and meet him, but his character develops through the course of the film and by the end he seems to have been doing the right thing all along.

And that is the most incredible thing about this film. So little openly happens in the way of significant events and yet it embodies so much. So little could be taken from it if you were to dismiss the meaning behind it all. The way that each of the characters' actions led them to be in the right place at just the right time makes this film stand out to me. There is no simple way to describe the effect it has, but needless to say, it's the main reason I rate "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" so highly. A must watch. If it doesn't change your life, you weren't watching it properly.

I' ve got to say this...

Author: RioRep from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 January 2013

I'm biased guy. Come on, I don't own the truth. When I like something, it's important to me to check out if I'm alone. That being said I have to say that I know what I like. And I loved this movie! Once I finished seeing it, I came here mesmerized, hoping, in a real optimistic way to find great reviews, big ratings, people that hopefully felt the same way towards this little gem. And, the, I was let down. No, although some would find it awesome as I did, many more to my surprise didn't like it.

I confess that I started to think: was it what I saw, not as great as I humbly thought it was? Was I in a different groovy mood today, and that's the reason why I loved it so much? In a deeper sense, did I like it so, cause I lost my father too early? Many things crossed my mind as I started this movie laughing joyfully, and ended it crying and moved in a deep way. If it wasn't so late, my urge was to call all my best friends ant tell them to watch this movie.

I didn't do it, obviously. So I came here, at the end of my day (the next day), to find out what other people thought about it. Remember that I said that I can be biased by other people's argument of what I felt and seen. I confessed it! And the I've found bad reviews questioning zooms (wich I loved, and found very pertinent)I' ve found people questioning themselves for living "at home" and searching for strangers opinions, I went through the boards and found stupid discussions about many things, and for a moment I felt sad... Well, I hoped, but people didn't get it.

I didn't want to feel intellectually special for having loved this film so much. I just wanted to find people that related to this movie the way I did. But... I couldn't.

This movie is about a family. A family that has everything going for them. Until something unexpected, a surprise, a misstep off the script happens, and from then on, everything drifts apart. Well... it happens all the time to many people. And then chaos presents itself. Then it's each for each own.

But if, I say if, destiny or fate, could just for one day, put the pieces together, then everything can turn out fine.

That's a fantasy. That's a fable.

Do I believe in fate, destiny? No. But this movie takes on a journey and invite us to believe so. Or not... But shows us, that as much as it can be f*cked up, our family IS our family.

At least, that's how it stroked me. And I loved it. No matter what :)

Beautifully written movie that will grab your heartstrings and refuse to let go.

Author: deanweymes from Ireland
23 November 2012

When I first stumbled upon Jeff, Who Lives At Home, I wasn't much other than a few laughs and another consistent performance from Jason Segel. I was absolutely blown away by what ensued. Jason Segel plays the title character, Jeff. Jeff is a grown man with little essence of direction in his life and completely blinded by the possibility of destiny. His increasing obsession with the movie "Signs" leads Jeff to believe that his destiny is out there, and as a result he takes every little abnormality as a sign. Segel gives a wonderful performance. Many will relate to Jeff and warm up to his character very early into the movie. His brother, played by Ed Helms has his life together. Or so it would seem. He's married with a stable job and seems to have his life together. I'm not particularly fond of Ed Helms but he gives a very dedicated performance throughout the film as his character's life begins to fall to pieces. The brothers unite in a journey that ultimately leads to Jeff fulfilling his destiny in a beautifully written ending. The ending will grab your heart strings and make you appreciate what life has to offer. Jay Duplass deserves a lot of credit for this absolute gem of a movie producing a magnificent story that really demonstrates the wonderful acting ability of Jason Segel. Topped off with the amazing, Susan Sarandon, playing Jeff's mom, who struggles to find happiness in her life, really puts the icing on the cake. Inspiring film. You'll want to watch it again.

What is fate, and does it really matter?

Author: David Hartmann from Germany
10 November 2012

Jeff believes that there are signs everywhere, and you will find them if only you are aware. He even considers looking for and following the signs as an essential part of human life. This renders his lifestyle to be passive, which is indicated in the title: He (still) lives at home. On the contrary Jeff's brother, Pat is pursuing an active lifestyle, working as a salesman and believing that man forges his own destiny. Their mother portrays a third perspective on life. She has surrendered, given up hope to achieve what her sons are looking for. Three unhappy characters, struggling to understand their own life and the environment they are living in.

This movie is about fate, about believe in yourself and the universe, about courage and despair. The great part is that it does not need religion, no moral, no pathos. It is not cheesy at all. Jeff believes that life needs magic, which can be found by following the signs. Pat is also looking for magic, but he finds it in a Porsche. A brilliant moment arrives when Pat and Jeff are trying to find Pat's wife in a motel. Both get there in different ways: Pat with his determination and stubbornness and Jeff by, guess what, following a sign.

The final scenes tell us, in a heartwarming way, that either of the character's conception of life is equally right. When they all meet together, each one has found a way to overcome their unhappiness, THEIR way. A brilliant movie, with a great Jason Segel, and story told without being obtrusive, but quite remarkable.

Segel plays against type in this interesting indie film

Author: Andrew Pelechaty from Brisbane, Australia
14 October 2012

Most comedic actors, at some point in their careers, play a role which goes against their usual persona,like Will Ferrell in 'Stranger Than Fiction'.

'Jeff, Who Lives at Home' is such a vehicle for Jason Segel. Known as playing the goofy nice guy, Segel switches gears in this indie comedy-drama.

Segel plays Jeff, a 30-year-old pot-smoking slacker who lives in his mum's basement, is obsessed with the movie 'Signs' and is constantly searching for his destiny. He has a tense relationship with his brother Pat (Ed Helms, also playing against his usual comedic persona), who is seemingly far more successful than him. Unemployed and unmotivated, Jeff seems to be drifting through life, seemingly unable to complete the most basic household chores (like buying glue from the store to fix the broken shutter). While the film, directed by the Duplass brothers, could have turned it into yet another "slacker comedy", with Jeff the butt of the jokes, they show restraint and portray him as a real person with real problems.

One morning, Jeff gets a call from a man looking for someone called Kevin. Believing this to be a sign, he goes out searching for anyone named Kevin. Meanwhile, Pat is dealing with the breakdown of his marriage to Linda (Judy Greer), whom he suspects is having an affair. To top it off, their mother Sharon (Susan Sarandon), a straight-laced woman, is dealing with a secret admirer at work, while confiding with her friend Carol (Rae Dawn Chong) about how directionless her life is.

While, on the surface, 'Jeff…' feels like a depressing film, the overriding message is one of hope: of never giving up on something you value or something you thought had long passed you by. It's also a realistic film: life doesn't always work out the way you want and sometimes you can feel stuck in a rut, but Jeff's almost naive belief in signs and destiny is refreshingly optimistic, especially when even Jeff's own family has written him off as an unmotivated slacker. If you're after something a bit more grounded than the usual "slacker comedy", then this is well worth checking out.

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]