IMDb > Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It Was Fate That I Watched This I Guess

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
27 July 2013

There were no signs that compelled me to watch this movie, so I guess I just have to chalk it up to fate. On the bright side, fate made sure that I'd watch a movie that was less than an hour and a half in length, so I didn't actually lose too much of my life to this. On the other hand, I didn't come away from it thinking that I had in any way watched a gem either.

It has its moments, but essentially it suffers from revolving around two essentially loser-type characters. Jeff (Jason Segel) is essentially a lazy bum. He spends his days apparently doing nothing but watching the movie "Signs" over and over again, and becoming obsessed with signs and fate as a result. He seems to have no job, and he lives with his mother (Susan Sarandon) - but he really detests being asked to do anything to help around the house. Then there's his brother Pat (Ed Helms) - who's a different kind of loser-type. Pat wants people to think of him as a success, but he's really a thoughtless bonehead who's little less than cruel to his wife and really wants little to do with his family - and, when you get right down to it, isn't really that successful anyway. As a result of - I guess - fate, Pat and Jeff hook up one day and have a few experiences that end up helping them and their families bond. How sweet. And I wasn't entirely sure that I got the need for the same-sex relationship (whether sexual or emotional was never really explained, although there was a kiss exchanged) between Sharon (Sarandon) and Carol (Rae Dawn Chong.) It just seemed to be thrown in for no especially good reason. Don't misunderstand me. It didn't offend me. I just didn't get the need for it. The Pat and Jeff stuff was quite enough.

It's short. By the time the movie gets to its last few scenes it becomes a little bit touching. And there are a few moments of humour in it. But really, for the most part, this came across to me as largely pointless and without direction. If you're really interested in a movie about fate and how all things - even seemingly unrelated things - work together for a positive outcome, take Jeff's advice - watch "Signs." (3/10)

I was looking for a Comedy, what I got was an engrossing, endearing film

Author: cynthia-ostrich from Alabama, United States
25 June 2013

'Jeff, Who Lives at Home' is a hidden gem of a film. When Netflix suggested it to me, I was hoping for a comedy. It stars Jason Segel and Ed Helms, men known for their comedic roles. What I got was a very engrossing and endearing film about the family bond, with a little funny mixed in. Jason Segel is Jeff, a 30 year old man who still lives in his mother's basement. He is still struggling and a little messed up by his father's death many years before. To Jeff, everything has a meaning, there are no accidents. When an accidental phone call reaches him at home, Jeff sets off on a day of adventure, trying to discover the meaning of the dialed wrong number.

Jeff's searching for the meaning of the call takes him to many places in town and into many run-ins with his older married brother Pat, played by Ed Helms. Pat is a nice contrast to this film with his self-centeredness and humor. His marriage is falling apart. Pat must ask for the help of Jeff to spy on his wife and to find out what is going on. The third character in the film is Sharon, Jeff and Pat's mother played by Susan Sarandon, who discovers she has a secret admirer at work. It takes place over the course of a day. The characters in the film find that their lives are bound and intertwined together. At the end of the film, it left me feeling the warm and fuzzies and glad I watched the show.

Way Underrated and Funny!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
31 May 2013

It's a shame that no one saw Jeff, Who Lives At Home because it's a really smart, funny indie comedy with good performances by some brand-name stars. I think the best part is where Jason Segel's character Jeff, thinks he can find his own meaning of life by watching Signs. This is a light-hearted comedy and most likely one of the most mainstream movies the Duplass brothers have done so far.

This film is about a slacker named Jeff who wants to find out his meaning of life so he meets up with his brother Pat, and together they also track Pat's wife to find out if she has been cheating on him or not.

Jason Segel is really good at these kind of characters. He reminds me of the character he played in I Love You, Man. He brings natural sweetness and sympathy to his character. Ed Helms practically plays himself from the Hangover movies but it's always fun to watch. Susan Sarandon also has some really funny and surprising scenes as well.

Overall, this is a surprisingly funny comedy that people should really see. I can't believe how bad it did at the box office. Jason Segel and Ed Helms make good pair-ups and maybe we'll see some more in the future. I rate this film 8/10.

the film follows the lives of three main characters- all related- whose seemingly insignificant actions lead them to the right place at the right time.

Author: ralphlea0
22 April 2013

This film is fantastic. It was recommended to me by a friend and I must admit, despite starring one of my personal favorite actors- Jason Segel- I expected very little. It begins as one might expect, at Jeff's (Jason Segel) home. Jeff delivers a deep, serious monologue in which we begin to see the premise of the film outlined. Jeff believes that much as in the movie "Signs" everything is linked to everything else. I.E. It all happens for a reason. He then stands up and wipes his ass. This opening scene embodies the slow paced humor used throughout what is actually a very funny film. Much of the film is spent with the characters searching for some meaning to their life- whether it be Jeff, looking for a way out of his mother's basement, Pat (Ed Helms) trying to fix his broken and loveless marriage or Sharon (Susan Sarandon) a woman desperately caught between her two failing sons and her own lost dreams. Having watched it numerous times, I can say that it is not a film one can skip through. Every second contributes significantly, building towards the final scene. I don't want to give away the plot more than necessary- it's utterly superb in every aspect from timing and suspense to characterization- but the accumulation of moments, all relevant to what happens in the last ten minutes is truly astounding. And every time you watch the film, you notice something new that you missed before; something tiny and seemingly insignificant that makes it all come together in the end. As for the characters, they are handled extremely well but it seems each one becomes someone new by the end. They are all very changed by their experiences over the course of the day. Pat embodies the typical "douchebag" brother, slamming Jeff and his beliefs, not listening to his wife and generally being a dumb-ass. Sharon is lost. Just as lost as Jeff truth be told, but caught in the position of caregiver despite her personal struggle. She is depicted humorously but as with many of the aspects of this film, has a relatable and unavoidable twist of realism.

Jeff is the most heavily featured and is a lovable, although ultimately useless layabout. He seemingly drifts about, waiting for life to come and meet him, but his character develops through the course of the film and by the end he seems to have been doing the right thing all along.

And that is the most incredible thing about this film. So little openly happens in the way of significant events and yet it embodies so much. So little could be taken from it if you were to dismiss the meaning behind it all. The way that each of the characters' actions led them to be in the right place at just the right time makes this film stand out to me. There is no simple way to describe the effect it has, but needless to say, it's the main reason I rate "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" so highly. A must watch. If it doesn't change your life, you weren't watching it properly.

Beautiful Insight on Life, Fate and Destiny

Author: ashishisin from India
22 April 2013

What should i say about this beautiful movie... After watching this I'm loving my life more and just have more faith in Fate/Destiny.This movie tenderly touches the subject of Fate, Co-incidence,Destiny,Luck and LIFE. Movie is simple and Beautifully Directed in every angle.Plot is quite simple and very ordinary... nothing seems special until very end...but when all the pieces comes together u smile without knowing it.

Jason Segel is an Excellent and very true,natural actor...love that man. Everyone in the Movie was really good. They made this script look very ordinary,natural that it doesn't feel FILMED as such...looks like a true thing.

So please guys give this underrated movie a chance to make u believe in Fate n Destiny.

Surprised at how much I enjoyed this

Author: Mistrcoffe from United States
9 April 2013

One of the primary reasons for my surprise is that the focus of Jeff's life is something that makes me nuts. I believe our intuition is monstrously important, but we can't wait around for the universe to hand us a blueprint. That said I really liked this movie. It had its moments people will critique ad nauseam of course, but it is a great story, well told, with a cast that delivered. Watching the different dynamics between the characters held me. My admitted bias is that I now really enjoy in movies what I have always enjoyed in life, seeing different people, hearing their ideas, absorbing the interaction around me. More all the time I enjoy movies which focus on the interpersonal actions of the characters and all else is stage sets.

Loved it....Really loved it

Author: ianmacleod-337-98467 from UK
3 April 2013

I'll be honest and say I'd never even heard of this movie until I saw it on Sky Movies one sick day off from work.I put it on expecting an half a***d lazy movie with a few chuckles but,ended up feeling refreshed when it had finished.

their wasn't one part of the movie that dipped and had Me hooked from the first minute but I was really drawn in from the early scene with Kevin and the basketball game.

The main characters are played brilliantly and you go from hating Pat to loving him and feeling sorry for him and his situation.

The small side story with their mother at work is touching and the last 5 minutes gave me goosebumps.

its not laugh out loud hilarious but one of those rare gems that are worth watching just to make you think about your own situation and question your own destiny.

loved it :)

An unheralded gem

Author: Rich Wright
16 March 2013

This is gonna go down as one of my favourite cult films, with lots of unusual goings on and a wacky structure to it that I've never seen before. The whole thing kicks off when a stay-at-home nerd Jeff takes a wrong number from someone looking for a guy called Kevin, and from that point on that name holds particular significance to him, and he must follow anything with that moniker attached to it.

It only gets odder from there, as the rest of his family aren't any less strange either... his brother is obsessed at the prospect of his wife having an affair and so keeps her under constant surveillance, and his mother is being passed anonymous love notes at the office... which turn out to be from another woman.

It all might sound as though it's silly for the sake of it, but there is an underlying structure to all this mayhem which only becomes clear a few minutes before the ending credits. Until then, the pleasures are bountiful...

We hear REAL people talk, not one dimensional cyphers, and they're warm and witty, and we like all of them. These are the sort of individuals I want at my funeral (But let's save that discussion for another day) We care about their fates, and the many snarky exchanges (especially between Jeff and his brother) make it laugh-out-loud funny too. Plus, at a time when originality in cinema is so rare, here's a relative gold mine of ideas.

I get the feeling that the rewatchability (Not a word, but who cares?) aspect of this film is high, as so much goes on you'll have forgotten about half of it by the next day. And believe me, I intend to prove that in the future. Fabulous. 8/10

I Needed to Talk About Kevin

Author: thesar-2 from United States
3 March 2013

How's this for a movie twist? I wanted to watch We Need to Talk About Kevin, but realized I didn't have access to that movie and settled on Jeff, Who Lives at Home and the entire idea of the movie is based around talking about a "Kevin" who will lead our "hero" Jeff to…something…meaningful.

Well, "Kevin" led me to something insightful, all right: a very nice little indie that satisfyingly served my emotions right for the night.

Now, I've been a Mumblecore fan over the years. They're the little independent films mostly done by the Duplass brothers (see the Mark one on the awesome FX series: The League) and they show every bit of a "low budget." I doubt this film will fit in that category, even though it's written/directed by both Jay and Mark Duplass. Regardless, it's got their charm all around.

Jeff (Jason Segel) does, in fact, live at home and smokes pot, has less than a percent of ambition and gets freaked by a landline phone call from someone looking for a "Kevin." Originally, that's incidental to his mission to head to Home Depot to buy supplies for home repair, his mother requests.

Sidetracked – or was he? – stoner Jeff wanders in a quest to find the meaning of said "KEVIN" and repeatedly works with and bumps into his straight-laced brother, Pat (Ed Helms, who slightly channels his The Office character, Andy) to spy on his mid-life marriage crisis unfolding.

As with a lot of indie films that don't have the budget to execute a fulfilling conclusion, I expected the worst. Sure, I would've still liked the film although I still expected the open-interpreted cop-out and low-cost finale. Mercifully, this one might have rode on the star power to get the ending we all wanted. Needed.

NO…I'm not attempting to spoil anything. It's just suffice to say, they don't end it like some first-time writers/directors leave the audience with the ocean-wide finale so that "people will talk" which I am finding tedious (and cliché) as of late.

Now, the movie isn't perfect by any means, and like most fictional movies that were based on other fictional movies (they tell you this one's based on another movie in minute one) it's hard to live up to expectations. I'm a fan of Swordfish – which many are not – and both movies come with the opening speech concerning what movie this is based on. That's like me making my $1,000 movie and saying how much I LOVED Halloween in the opening. It's doubtful my movie will pan out as masterful.

Also, while I like the message, the deliberate pacing and most of the lines, it wasn't an outright laugh-fest nor had the deepest of meanings. I think it wanted to, but failed just shy of that.

Still, it's enjoyable, and I loved the third act. Yeah, even with the most obvious revelation in the middle section with momma bear, Sharon's (Susan Sarandon) character.

Predictable attempt at an "indie" film

Author: djrizzo from Washington, DC
20 February 2013

A pleasant story to watch with some nice moments. Unfortunately most of them were entirely predictable; the lone exception being the final climatic scene (but that was followed by a VERY predictable denouement). While performances were decent all around, the characters were poorly developed. Thus you never get pulled into the story and you never really feel anything for any of them. The obligatory indie-emotional xylophone soundtrack made me feel like the film makers were trying a final gimmick to make me feel something. Throughout the film I kept thinking the writers (Jay & Mark Duplass) were trying their best to write a Charlie Kaufman script. It falls far short of that. Sadly, I just felt like I was watching someone try too hard to make this into something it is not: relevant & poignant.

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]