IMDb > Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A Delightful, simply delightful film

Author: Essence Jones from USA
10 July 2014

Jason Segel is one of my favorite actors, just for the levity and warmth he brings to any film he's in but this is my first time watching a Duplass brothers' film I have ever seen. Within the first few minutes, I am intrigued and curious. The characters, especially the one portrayed by Ed Helms, are believable and developed so well they sort of take on significance away from or outside of the story and its conflicts.

Without giving anything away, this is a really great film about trust, communication, and following your heart. It is definitely on my list of favorites and I will be watching other Duplass films.

A story about lost individuals becoming a family again

Author: Anthony Ehlers from South Africa
24 June 2014

Jeff, Who Lives At Home is a great example of an indie film. Jeff, a 30-year-old slacker, is searching for meaning in an aimless life, looking at pop culture references for a sign.

Jeff's journey may seem like a simple one, but his mission to buy wood-glue for a broken shutter is not dissimilar to Odysseus's epic return. The twist in the third act underscores the idea that within all of us lies a destiny. (Jeff, Who Becomes a Hero, as a title, would've given it away.) Jason Segel gives a great goofy charm to the lead character, and he is ably supported by Ed Helms as his obnoxious and insensitive brother. Susan Sarandon is faultless as the mother looking for a sign of her own as she suffers bleak corporate office cubicle.

Ultimately, this is not only a comedy about a slacker living in his mother's basement, but a hopeful look at family and what that word means. It starts slow, then reveals some wonderful surprises.

Didn't like the brothers

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 June 2014

Jeff (Jason Segel) is 30 and living in his mother Sharon (Susan Sarandon)'s basement. He's aimless and unemployed. His favorite movie is 'Signs', and he's looking for signs for a direction in his life. He answers an angry phone call from someone looking for Kevin. When he sees someone in a jersey with Kevin on the back, he follows him around. Meanwhile, Jeff's brother Pat (Ed Helms) is a bad salesman and he angers his wife Linda (Judy Greer) by buying a Porsche. Sharon has a secret admirer at work.

It's a Duplass brothers movie. They do these whimsical indie movies. These characters are not particularly likable to me. Jeff is weirdly fixated on Kevins. Pat is way too angry to like. Ed Helms plays such an annoying character. It's hard to get into the brothers' relationship. If he could play anger without being a douche, I might find some humor in this. I don't find anything about them funny. That's the threshold that I need to cross for this movie. It's just not funny to me. The ending wraps things up nicely but it's a long unfunny road getting there.

Beautiful Insight on Life, Fate and Destiny

Author: ashishisin from India
22 April 2013

What should i say about this beautiful movie... After watching this I'm loving my life more and just have more faith in Fate/Destiny.This movie tenderly touches the subject of Fate, Co-incidence,Destiny,Luck and LIFE. Movie is simple and Beautifully Directed in every angle.Plot is quite simple and very ordinary... nothing seems special until very end...but when all the pieces comes together u smile without knowing it.

Jason Segel is an Excellent and very true,natural actor...love that man. Everyone in the Movie was really good. They made this script look very ordinary,natural that it doesn't feel FILMED as such...looks like a true thing.

So please guys give this underrated movie a chance to make u believe in Fate n Destiny.

Surprised at how much I enjoyed this

Author: Mistrcoffe from United States
9 April 2013

One of the primary reasons for my surprise is that the focus of Jeff's life is something that makes me nuts. I believe our intuition is monstrously important, but we can't wait around for the universe to hand us a blueprint. That said I really liked this movie. It had its moments people will critique ad nauseam of course, but it is a great story, well told, with a cast that delivered. Watching the different dynamics between the characters held me. My admitted bias is that I now really enjoy in movies what I have always enjoyed in life, seeing different people, hearing their ideas, absorbing the interaction around me. More all the time I enjoy movies which focus on the interpersonal actions of the characters and all else is stage sets.

Loved it....Really loved it

Author: ianmacleod-337-98467 from UK
3 April 2013

I'll be honest and say I'd never even heard of this movie until I saw it on Sky Movies one sick day off from work.I put it on expecting an half a***d lazy movie with a few chuckles but,ended up feeling refreshed when it had finished.

their wasn't one part of the movie that dipped and had Me hooked from the first minute but I was really drawn in from the early scene with Kevin and the basketball game.

The main characters are played brilliantly and you go from hating Pat to loving him and feeling sorry for him and his situation.

The small side story with their mother at work is touching and the last 5 minutes gave me goosebumps.

its not laugh out loud hilarious but one of those rare gems that are worth watching just to make you think about your own situation and question your own destiny.

loved it :)

An unheralded gem

Author: Rich Wright
16 March 2013

This is gonna go down as one of my favourite cult films, with lots of unusual goings on and a wacky structure to it that I've never seen before. The whole thing kicks off when a stay-at-home nerd Jeff takes a wrong number from someone looking for a guy called Kevin, and from that point on that name holds particular significance to him, and he must follow anything with that moniker attached to it.

It only gets odder from there, as the rest of his family aren't any less strange either... his brother is obsessed at the prospect of his wife having an affair and so keeps her under constant surveillance, and his mother is being passed anonymous love notes at the office... which turn out to be from another woman.

It all might sound as though it's silly for the sake of it, but there is an underlying structure to all this mayhem which only becomes clear a few minutes before the ending credits. Until then, the pleasures are bountiful...

We hear REAL people talk, not one dimensional cyphers, and they're warm and witty, and we like all of them. These are the sort of individuals I want at my funeral (But let's save that discussion for another day) We care about their fates, and the many snarky exchanges (especially between Jeff and his brother) make it laugh-out-loud funny too. Plus, at a time when originality in cinema is so rare, here's a relative gold mine of ideas.

I get the feeling that the rewatchability (Not a word, but who cares?) aspect of this film is high, as so much goes on you'll have forgotten about half of it by the next day. And believe me, I intend to prove that in the future. Fabulous. 8/10

I Needed to Talk About Kevin

Author: thesar-2 from United States
3 March 2013

How's this for a movie twist? I wanted to watch We Need to Talk About Kevin, but realized I didn't have access to that movie and settled on Jeff, Who Lives at Home and the entire idea of the movie is based around talking about a "Kevin" who will lead our "hero" Jeff to…something…meaningful.

Well, "Kevin" led me to something insightful, all right: a very nice little indie that satisfyingly served my emotions right for the night.

Now, I've been a Mumblecore fan over the years. They're the little independent films mostly done by the Duplass brothers (see the Mark one on the awesome FX series: The League) and they show every bit of a "low budget." I doubt this film will fit in that category, even though it's written/directed by both Jay and Mark Duplass. Regardless, it's got their charm all around.

Jeff (Jason Segel) does, in fact, live at home and smokes pot, has less than a percent of ambition and gets freaked by a landline phone call from someone looking for a "Kevin." Originally, that's incidental to his mission to head to Home Depot to buy supplies for home repair, his mother requests.

Sidetracked – or was he? – stoner Jeff wanders in a quest to find the meaning of said "KEVIN" and repeatedly works with and bumps into his straight-laced brother, Pat (Ed Helms, who slightly channels his The Office character, Andy) to spy on his mid-life marriage crisis unfolding.

As with a lot of indie films that don't have the budget to execute a fulfilling conclusion, I expected the worst. Sure, I would've still liked the film although I still expected the open-interpreted cop-out and low-cost finale. Mercifully, this one might have rode on the star power to get the ending we all wanted. Needed.

NO…I'm not attempting to spoil anything. It's just suffice to say, they don't end it like some first-time writers/directors leave the audience with the ocean-wide finale so that "people will talk" which I am finding tedious (and cliché) as of late.

Now, the movie isn't perfect by any means, and like most fictional movies that were based on other fictional movies (they tell you this one's based on another movie in minute one) it's hard to live up to expectations. I'm a fan of Swordfish – which many are not – and both movies come with the opening speech concerning what movie this is based on. That's like me making my $1,000 movie and saying how much I LOVED Halloween in the opening. It's doubtful my movie will pan out as masterful.

Also, while I like the message, the deliberate pacing and most of the lines, it wasn't an outright laugh-fest nor had the deepest of meanings. I think it wanted to, but failed just shy of that.

Still, it's enjoyable, and I loved the third act. Yeah, even with the most obvious revelation in the middle section with momma bear, Sharon's (Susan Sarandon) character.

Predictable attempt at an "indie" film

Author: djrizzo from Washington, DC
20 February 2013

A pleasant story to watch with some nice moments. Unfortunately most of them were entirely predictable; the lone exception being the final climatic scene (but that was followed by a VERY predictable denouement). While performances were decent all around, the characters were poorly developed. Thus you never get pulled into the story and you never really feel anything for any of them. The obligatory indie-emotional xylophone soundtrack made me feel like the film makers were trying a final gimmick to make me feel something. Throughout the film I kept thinking the writers (Jay & Mark Duplass) were trying their best to write a Charlie Kaufman script. It falls far short of that. Sadly, I just felt like I was watching someone try too hard to make this into something it is not: relevant & poignant.

Jeff, Who Finally got that Wood Glue

Author: Joshua N from United States
18 February 2013

Well, at least I now know where the TV show Catfish got its music from.

That mystery being solved (*spoilers*), that leaves us with a plot that all really takes place in a single afternoon. And boy, for old Jeff, Who Lives at Home, he seems to not spend all that much time there. I mean he takes the bus to get some wood glue and by the time he comes home with it, he's staked out his sister-in-law and tried to break up a sexing session in a hotel room, he's conspired with his brother to stake out a lunch date, he's been mugged by and smoked out with someone (who probably isn't really named Kevin), and his mom has been turned bi. Pretty normal day for most people...

But, although this movie was fairly banal and seemingly meaningless for the first hour with us really seeing little more than Jason Segel do facial expressions and Ed Helms descend further into self-parody, the end scene was a payoff like rarely seen in cinema these days. With the son who lost his dad too soon (Jason Segel, Jeff) able to follow a series of unintelligible hunches and arrive in a place to save a pair of daughters from ultimately losing their dad was good karmic retribution. The fact that he was able to draw closer to his brother and save his brother's marriage in the process was icing on the cake. As he mentioned about his dream, and as The Smashing Pumpkins put so well, it was all about Today being the most important.

As for the acting, it was OK. Susan Sarandon (Sharon) was a revelation. Everyone knows she can act, but she just never mails it in and I love that about her. Although there was a scene in which she turned bi with just a 30 second phone call followed by the fire alarm being set off at work, that's on the writing not the acting. Jason Segel was pretty good too. Ed Helms (Pat) was his usual poor-acting self, unfortunately.

My main issue about this film was that I'm not sure why they titled this JEFF, WHO LIVES AT HOME. The reasons being that his living at home had nearly nothing to do with the story. He could have been a Wall Street stockbroker and the story would've been virtually the same. And, I'm sorry but older people who "live at home" would never display those heroic qualities of jumping in the drink with no hesitation. Otherwise, he'd be Jeff, Who Works for the Police or Jeff, Who Served in the Army, or maybe Jeff, Who is a Paramedic and Drives an Ambulance. I realize that the director was probably going for an extraordinary deed from an ordinary person, but I'm not buying it.

TL;DR: A pretty solid movie. If you can stomach gratuitous amounts of Ed Helms, you should enjoy this one.

Page 4 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]