IMDb > Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jeff, Who Lives at Home

Jeff, Who Lives at Home More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

an unexpectedly beautiful movie...

Author: jaicsben from India
12 June 2012

First of all let me just say that Jason Segel is an amazing and versatile actor...i was already his fan from the sitcom 'How i met your mother'..He is the main reason i watched this movie..and man what a great choice it was..

The movie follows Jeff and his quest to find his destiny by following signs...It outlines the strength of a family through light humor and great acting....how it can make u change the way u view things..

All in all..its a movie that leaves u feeling happy and content in a way that only certain movies can....i recommend it to people who enjoy movies like 'we bought a zoo'....

Interesting . . . not exactly significant

Author: The_Film_Cricket from Birmingham, Alabama
29 March 2012

Some people have a theory that there is no such thing as coincidence; that everything that happens in life happens for one reason or another. Maintaining that state of mind, I would imagine, requires constant frustrating vigilance. You're always on the lookout for what connects one thing to another.

Jeff (Jason Segal), the protagonist of Jeff Who Lives at Home thinks that way. He has plenty of time. He is just past 30, unemployed, lives in his mother's basement, smokes pot and hasn't had a girlfriend since high school. He watches the 2002 thriller Signs over and over again to reiterate his theory that nothing just happens, not even when he gets a phone call from a guy asking for someone named Kevin. Out on an errand for his mother, Jeff spots a guy with the name Kevin on the back of his jersey and follows him. It doesn't go well.Jeff has a brother Pat who is even more clueless. He is floating through a marriage to Linda (Judy Greer) that is going nowhere in particular. She wants to save money for a house, but he spends it on expensive things, like the Porsche he just bought because it was such a great deal. He makes her breakfast to break the news of his purchase and her response is to dump her breakfast on the hood.

After Jeff's unfortunate run-in with Kevin, he runs into Pat (though not by coincidence) and the two spot Linda getting into a car with another man. Thus sets off a day of free-wheeling misadventures as they try to uncover the mystery of whether or not she is cheating on him. Pat is angry and wants to know who the mystery man is, while Jeff's eye is constantly following the signs to find out the meaning of "Kevin". No points for guessing that this will eventually lead to something.

Meanwhile, Pat and Jeff's widowed mother Sharon (Susan Sarandon) works in an office cubicle and begins receiving instant messages from a secret admirer. The messages are sweet and clever and she becomes intrigued. Discovering the identity of the mystery person isn't that difficult. All you have to do is to follow the economy of characters in that office and you'll figure it out long before it is revealed.

These three elements: Jeff's search for Kevin, Pat and Linda's marriage and Sharon's secret admirer lead up to a scene that brings them all together at the same place at the same time. Cosmically, there is a reason to this, so that all the characters can have closure to their individual problems. Although the revelation doesn't have as much meaning as we might hope. It is interesting how the movie gets the characters to that spot, but that's about it.

There are two scenes in the movie that work perfectly, first is the scene when Pat finally confronts Linda about the other man. They have an argument that is full of truth and really seems to come out of reality. The other is the discovery of Sharon's secret admirer. What comes of it is briefly touching, but the movie moves past it so quickly that it feels like a loose end.

Jeff Who Lives at Home is a nice, sweet movie of no real significance. It is appropriately funny when it needs to be; dramatic when it needs to be; and moving when the need arises. The disappointment is that it doesn't really go over the top with any of those things. I like it when a movie really reaches for something, but this movie climbs to the peak and reveals nothing surprising on the other side. I enjoyed the movie while I was watching it, but it isn't one that I am going to carry with me.

It's A-L-L connected. And this is art.

Author: joshmcbridelives from United States
12 August 2016

Look. I can almost guarantee you that anyone who wrote a bad/okay review for this film, not only doesn't understand this movie, but most likely doesn't understand the universe, or the art of cinema. I would love to philosophize all day about how people are closed minded and essentially unaware of their existence, but I won't. I'm just going to say, being a cinematography major, this is what art looks like in film. It's anything but commercial. The camera work alone will pour emotions through your heart. This movie is not for everyone. But if you are debating on watching it, think Sideways, American Beauty, Demolition, Dead Poets Society. Except that this is a feel-good movie. And it's not like any other movie. Sideways is a good comparison, but I like this much better, it paints a much larger picture. Anyone can love this movie, honestly. Just, "Follow the signs, and you will uncover your destiny."-Jeff

We Need to Talk About Kevin

Author: sol- from Perth, Australia
8 July 2016

Acting on the belief that everything happens for a reason, a 30 year old layabout sets out on a quest to find out who "Kevin" might refer to after a wrong number phone call in this brisk independent American comedy. Jason Segel is well cast as the philosophical title character who waxes poetic over how the seeming randomness in films like M. Night Shyamalan's 'Signs' leads to perfect moments, and while ostensibly pathetic (unemployed, living at home and no girlfriend), Segel moulds a surprisingly warm and likable character. His quest also has a delightful sense of spontaneity as he plans nothing in advance and simply goes off perceived clues that he finds along the way. Much of the film, however, revolves around him reconnecting with his narcissistic older brother, played by Ed Helms, who is rather grating. There is also an oddly slotted in subplot involving the brothers' mother, but Susan Sarandon is fortunately so solid and down-to-earth in the role that it seldom seems like a distraction when the film cuts away to her. Clocking in at just over 80 minutes, the one thing that can be said about 'Jeff, Who Lives at Home' is that it never outstays its welcome. The extremely upbeat note on which the film concludes seems a little at odds with the project's otherwise unglamorous take on very real people, but it is still a pleasant enough experience and one that leaves open some food for thought. The title character is the only person in the film who is content and optimistic throughout, so perhaps there is something to be said for being a 'slacker' in life?

Pleasant and sweet surprise

Author: palavitsinis from Athens, Greece
21 March 2016

Well, there are two ways to go about this movie. There's the way of a nice superficial 2 or 3 out of 10 and then you can actually try and understand it a bit. This was what I chose.

The movie is heartbreaking. It's kind of random and weird but if you go along and stick with it, you can see that this is a masterpiece. The problems it discusses are there more and more frequently the past few years. It's a movie of its time, and it touches all the sensitive issues.

It discusses about the alienation between family members as well as our inability to understand the different in all aspects of life, respect it and just nurture it. It also gets into the marital issues that drive so many couples apart. And although these seem a lot, and there are even more, it makes it. It gets you a small sample of everything, emotions flooding and leading you to maybe cry a bit but hopefully be a better person by the end of the movie.

Carefree, hearth, naive, follows his own path

Author: Ole Sandbaek Joergensen from Denmark
23 September 2015

This is not what I expected to see, the film is with Jason Segel and this is not what he usually do :) This is quit an interesting film, it has humor, but I would not put it in the comedy only genre, this is more comedy-drama. This film is not fast moving in any way, it is very mellow and well some might say slow and boring, I say easy going, slow moving and interesting.

This is an hour and 20 minutes, with a weed smoking 30 year old man who lives in his mothers basement, he believes there is a reason for everything and that god or some higher power is giving signals that you either follow or get lost with the most of the people in a busy world.

He is carefree, he has a good hearth, he is a bit naive, but he lives his life and follow his own path. He smokes weed and find inspiration and signs in a lot of weird things, but it all turns out as a new experience or something new he has learned, it is very inspirational.

Following familiar signs and forcing a preachy climax on destiny

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
2 August 2015

"Stay pure of heart and you will see the signs. Follow the signs, and you will uncover your destiny."

And with that opening title card we basically get what this film is all about: a 30 year old man living in his mother's basement awaiting for a specific sign to discover his destiny while he sits back in his couch smoking weed. This was the Duplass brothers fourth feature film working together as directors, although with a much bigger budget this time around which enabled them to hire well known actors. Their screenplay has its sweet and funny moments, but you can't help but feel the familiarity of the story. For a film centering on looking for signs and following them, this movie does so in a very predictable and obvious way with stereotypical characters. Jeff, Who Lives at Home also manages to wrap things up in a neat and convenient way so I really didn't find anything about the story very unique or interesting. As a fan of Shyamalan's Signs I did enjoy the references Jeff makes towards it and how it basically dictates his own personal life, but I was expecting some surprises along the way.

In the very first scene of the movie we are introduced to Jeff (Jason Segel) and in only a few seconds we know exactly what kind of person he is. He is a man child who hasn't quite figured out what to do with his life, but he doesn't seem too worried about it either. He is waiting for the signs to point him to his destiny. When he receives a phone call of someone asking for Kevin he immediately takes it as a sign that he should search for a Kevin instead of just discarding it as a misdialed call. A few minutes later he receives another call, but this time it's his mother, Sharon (Susan Sarandon), who is calling him from her office and asking him to go to Home Depot to fix something in the house. Sharon is worried about Jeff, and she wants him to get on track with his life. She asks his brother, Pat (Ed Helms), to encourage him, but he is going through some marital problems with his wife Linda (Judy Greer). Pat isn't the ideal husband and he doesn't even consider asking Linda for advice when it comes to big decisions such as buying a brand new Porsche. This of course brings friction to their relationship. On his way to the Home Depot, Jeff sees a young teen wearing a jersey with the name Kevin on the back, so of course he takes it as a sign and follows him. These signs inadvertently lead him to the exact place where his brother Pat is and while the two are catching up they discover Linda is with another man. Could this be the reason why Jeff has been led to his brother? To help him discover if his wife is cheating on him? From this point on a series of casualties ensue.

The film relies on the strong chemistry between Segel and Helms, two very talented and funny actors. They both play characters they're very familiar and comfortable playing, Segel the childish and naive slacker son, Helms the uptight and career driven husband. The highlight of the film is watching these two great actors interact with each other despite all the schmaltz. The subplot revolving around Susan Sarandon's character and her secret admirer didn't really tie up to the story and only seemed to serve as a filler for the feature length time. Judy Greer is also comfortable in her role here, but she doesn't really get much to do here other than be the victim who her husband never really listens to. Despite some scattered funny moments which can be mostly attributed to the talented cast, the ending felt way too sappy and convenient and ultimately hindered my appreciation of the film. It simply tried to force the underlying message of the movie of destiny and it only added to the overall sentimentality of the film. The cinematography was also distracting at times with too many quick zoom-ins on the characters faces.

Indie, quick, heartwarming, and delightful!

Author: Dominic LeRose from United States
24 October 2014

We often go through our ordinary lives without truly living and making a difference. It's up to charming indie films like "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" to inspire us. Independent films often touch something true and deep, that many mainstream blockbusters don't come close to. The Duplass brothers are indie kings. They're kind enough to cast Jason Segal, Ed helms, and Susan Sarandon in a film that costs virtually nothing. Jason Segal gives one of his between roles as Jeff, a low- life underachiever who lives in his mother's basement. off on an errand, he spends the afternoon with his miserable brother Pat (Ed Helms) as they track down his wife who they are convinced is having an affair. With only 83 minutes of screen-time, The Duplass brothers pack in hilarious dry humor and touching family scenes that go beyond what may seem expected. The whole central idea these boys try and touch is how there is always destiny in life. Jeff and Pat couldn't have been more likable and refreshing characters to enjoy. We get tons of development from them, and tackle their journey with them. Ed Helms and Jason Segal work brilliantly together. They change the feeling of the film in seconds. It's surprising how hard you can laugh before crying your eyes out due to beautiful brotherly contact. Veteran actress Susan Sarandon is superb as always. We're gifted to have her play the brothers mom, who we learn is having her own crisis after the death of her husband. "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" does get a little pretentious and overdone towards the end, but it's a real audience pleaser that tries to tell an impactful story in the most meaningful way without missing its feel-good effect. Remember, it's a comedy, meaning we do get a lot of mischief between the boys, which may frustrate some viewers. I couldn't have liked it more. This is the pleaser that makes you stand up and cheer if you'r lucky enough to hear about it.

Whoops, not as funny as I thought

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
7 October 2014

It was probably my fault. They say you should never judge a book by a cover and, in this case, I didn't really read much about the film before I watched it. I just looked at the cover and figured it was going to be one of those light-hearted 'Judd Apatow' adult comedies where things get a little silly and a lot saucy. I was wrong.

They claim 'Jeff, Who Lives at Home' is a comedy, but I would say that if falls firmly in the 'off-beat drama' category. It's about two brothers (one a slacker who lives at home - Jeff, obviously) and one who's trying to make his way in the business world and their capers dealing with a day of fate and revelations when they think the brother's wife is having an affair. All in all, that sounds like a reasonably good recipe for comedy, but the film focuses on the more quirky dramatic aspect of it all, rather than pies landing in people's faces.

It's one of those films that probably requires a second viewing to appreciate it properly. I sat down expecting an American Pie-esque comedy. Therefore I was always going to be disappointed. However, if you're in the mood for something just a little bit more dramatic where the humour is a lot more subtle, this one could be for you.

As a comedy it's only a 6/10, but as a drama it should be looked at a little more highly.

A Delightful, simply delightful film

Author: Essence Jones from USA
10 July 2014

Jason Segel is one of my favorite actors, just for the levity and warmth he brings to any film he's in but this is my first time watching a Duplass brothers' film I have ever seen. Within the first few minutes, I am intrigued and curious. The characters, especially the one portrayed by Ed Helms, are believable and developed so well they sort of take on significance away from or outside of the story and its conflicts.

Without giving anything away, this is a really great film about trust, communication, and following your heart. It is definitely on my list of favorites and I will be watching other Duplass films.

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]