IMDb > Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jeff, Who Lives at Home

Jeff, Who Lives at Home More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

an unexpectedly beautiful movie...

Author: jaicsben from India
12 June 2012

First of all let me just say that Jason Segel is an amazing and versatile actor...i was already his fan from the sitcom 'How i met your mother'..He is the main reason i watched this movie..and man what a great choice it was..

The movie follows Jeff and his quest to find his destiny by following signs...It outlines the strength of a family through light humor and great acting....how it can make u change the way u view things..

All in all..its a movie that leaves u feeling happy and content in a way that only certain movies can....i recommend it to people who enjoy movies like 'we bought a zoo'....

Interesting . . . not exactly significant

Author: The_Film_Cricket from Birmingham, Alabama
29 March 2012

Some people have a theory that there is no such thing as coincidence; that everything that happens in life happens for one reason or another. Maintaining that state of mind, I would imagine, requires constant frustrating vigilance. You're always on the lookout for what connects one thing to another.

Jeff (Jason Segal), the protagonist of Jeff Who Lives at Home thinks that way. He has plenty of time. He is just past 30, unemployed, lives in his mother's basement, smokes pot and hasn't had a girlfriend since high school. He watches the 2002 thriller Signs over and over again to reiterate his theory that nothing just happens, not even when he gets a phone call from a guy asking for someone named Kevin. Out on an errand for his mother, Jeff spots a guy with the name Kevin on the back of his jersey and follows him. It doesn't go well.Jeff has a brother Pat who is even more clueless. He is floating through a marriage to Linda (Judy Greer) that is going nowhere in particular. She wants to save money for a house, but he spends it on expensive things, like the Porsche he just bought because it was such a great deal. He makes her breakfast to break the news of his purchase and her response is to dump her breakfast on the hood.

After Jeff's unfortunate run-in with Kevin, he runs into Pat (though not by coincidence) and the two spot Linda getting into a car with another man. Thus sets off a day of free-wheeling misadventures as they try to uncover the mystery of whether or not she is cheating on him. Pat is angry and wants to know who the mystery man is, while Jeff's eye is constantly following the signs to find out the meaning of "Kevin". No points for guessing that this will eventually lead to something.

Meanwhile, Pat and Jeff's widowed mother Sharon (Susan Sarandon) works in an office cubicle and begins receiving instant messages from a secret admirer. The messages are sweet and clever and she becomes intrigued. Discovering the identity of the mystery person isn't that difficult. All you have to do is to follow the economy of characters in that office and you'll figure it out long before it is revealed.

These three elements: Jeff's search for Kevin, Pat and Linda's marriage and Sharon's secret admirer lead up to a scene that brings them all together at the same place at the same time. Cosmically, there is a reason to this, so that all the characters can have closure to their individual problems. Although the revelation doesn't have as much meaning as we might hope. It is interesting how the movie gets the characters to that spot, but that's about it.

There are two scenes in the movie that work perfectly, first is the scene when Pat finally confronts Linda about the other man. They have an argument that is full of truth and really seems to come out of reality. The other is the discovery of Sharon's secret admirer. What comes of it is briefly touching, but the movie moves past it so quickly that it feels like a loose end.

Jeff Who Lives at Home is a nice, sweet movie of no real significance. It is appropriately funny when it needs to be; dramatic when it needs to be; and moving when the need arises. The disappointment is that it doesn't really go over the top with any of those things. I like it when a movie really reaches for something, but this movie climbs to the peak and reveals nothing surprising on the other side. I enjoyed the movie while I was watching it, but it isn't one that I am going to carry with me.

Indie, quick, heartwarming, and delightful!

Author: dom-lerose-8
24 October 2014

We often go through our ordinary lives without truly living and making a difference. It's up to charming indie films like "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" to inspire us. Independent films often touch something true and deep, that many mainstream blockbusters don't come close to. The Duplass brothers are indie kings. They're kind enough to cast Jason Segal, Ed helms, and Susan Sarandon in a film that costs virtually nothing. Jason Segal gives one of his between roles as Jeff, a low- life underachiever who lives in his mother's basement. off on an errand, he spends the afternoon with his miserable brother Pat (Ed Helms) as they track down his wife who they are convinced is having an affair. With only 83 minutes of screen-time, The Duplass brothers pack in hilarious dry humor and touching family scenes that go beyond what may seem expected. The whole central idea these boys try and touch is how there is always destiny in life. Jeff and Pat couldn't have been more likable and refreshing characters to enjoy. We get tons of development from them, and tackle their journey with them. Ed Helms and Jason Segal work brilliantly together. They change the feeling of the film in seconds. It's surprising how hard you can laugh before crying your eyes out due to beautiful brotherly contact. Veteran actress Susan Sarandon is superb as always. We're gifted to have her play the brothers mom, who we learn is having her own crisis after the death of her husband. "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" does get a little pretentious and overdone towards the end, but it's a real audience pleaser that tries to tell an impactful story in the most meaningful way without missing its feel-good effect. Remember, it's a comedy, meaning we do get a lot of mischief between the boys, which may frustrate some viewers. I couldn't have liked it more. This is the pleaser that makes you stand up and cheer if you'r lucky enough to hear about it.

Whoops, not as funny as I thought

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
7 October 2014

It was probably my fault. They say you should never judge a book by a cover and, in this case, I didn't really read much about the film before I watched it. I just looked at the cover and figured it was going to be one of those light-hearted 'Judd Apatow' adult comedies where things get a little silly and a lot saucy. I was wrong.

They claim 'Jeff, Who Lives at Home' is a comedy, but I would say that if falls firmly in the 'off-beat drama' category. It's about two brothers (one a slacker who lives at home - Jeff, obviously) and one who's trying to make his way in the business world and their capers dealing with a day of fate and revelations when they think the brother's wife is having an affair. All in all, that sounds like a reasonably good recipe for comedy, but the film focuses on the more quirky dramatic aspect of it all, rather than pies landing in people's faces.

It's one of those films that probably requires a second viewing to appreciate it properly. I sat down expecting an American Pie-esque comedy. Therefore I was always going to be disappointed. However, if you're in the mood for something just a little bit more dramatic where the humour is a lot more subtle, this one could be for you.

As a comedy it's only a 6/10, but as a drama it should be looked at a little more highly.

A Delightful, simply delightful film

Author: Essence Jones from USA
10 July 2014

Jason Segel is one of my favorite actors, just for the levity and warmth he brings to any film he's in but this is my first time watching a Duplass brothers' film I have ever seen. Within the first few minutes, I am intrigued and curious. The characters, especially the one portrayed by Ed Helms, are believable and developed so well they sort of take on significance away from or outside of the story and its conflicts.

Without giving anything away, this is a really great film about trust, communication, and following your heart. It is definitely on my list of favorites and I will be watching other Duplass films.

A story about lost individuals becoming a family again

Author: Anthony Ehlers from South Africa
24 June 2014

Jeff, Who Lives At Home is a great example of an indie film. Jeff, a 30-year-old slacker, is searching for meaning in an aimless life, looking at pop culture references for a sign.

Jeff's journey may seem like a simple one, but his mission to buy wood-glue for a broken shutter is not dissimilar to Odysseus's epic return. The twist in the third act underscores the idea that within all of us lies a destiny. (Jeff, Who Becomes a Hero, as a title, would've given it away.) Jason Segel gives a great goofy charm to the lead character, and he is ably supported by Ed Helms as his obnoxious and insensitive brother. Susan Sarandon is faultless as the mother looking for a sign of her own as she suffers bleak corporate office cubicle.

Ultimately, this is not only a comedy about a slacker living in his mother's basement, but a hopeful look at family and what that word means. It starts slow, then reveals some wonderful surprises.

Didn't like the brothers

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 June 2014

Jeff (Jason Segel) is 30 and living in his mother Sharon (Susan Sarandon)'s basement. He's aimless and unemployed. His favorite movie is 'Signs', and he's looking for signs for a direction in his life. He answers an angry phone call from someone looking for Kevin. When he sees someone in a jersey with Kevin on the back, he follows him around. Meanwhile, Jeff's brother Pat (Ed Helms) is a bad salesman and he angers his wife Linda (Judy Greer) by buying a Porsche. Sharon has a secret admirer at work.

It's a Duplass brothers movie. They do these whimsical indie movies. These characters are not particularly likable to me. Jeff is weirdly fixated on Kevins. Pat is way too angry to like. Ed Helms plays such an annoying character. It's hard to get into the brothers' relationship. If he could play anger without being a douche, I might find some humor in this. I don't find anything about them funny. That's the threshold that I need to cross for this movie. It's just not funny to me. The ending wraps things up nicely but it's a long unfunny road getting there.

Beautiful Insight on Life, Fate and Destiny

Author: ashishisin from India
22 April 2013

What should i say about this beautiful movie... After watching this I'm loving my life more and just have more faith in Fate/Destiny.This movie tenderly touches the subject of Fate, Co-incidence,Destiny,Luck and LIFE. Movie is simple and Beautifully Directed in every angle.Plot is quite simple and very ordinary... nothing seems special until very end...but when all the pieces comes together u smile without knowing it.

Jason Segel is an Excellent and very true,natural actor...love that man. Everyone in the Movie was really good. They made this script look very ordinary,natural that it doesn't feel FILMED as such...looks like a true thing.

So please guys give this underrated movie a chance to make u believe in Fate n Destiny.

Surprised at how much I enjoyed this

Author: Mistrcoffe from United States
9 April 2013

One of the primary reasons for my surprise is that the focus of Jeff's life is something that makes me nuts. I believe our intuition is monstrously important, but we can't wait around for the universe to hand us a blueprint. That said I really liked this movie. It had its moments people will critique ad nauseam of course, but it is a great story, well told, with a cast that delivered. Watching the different dynamics between the characters held me. My admitted bias is that I now really enjoy in movies what I have always enjoyed in life, seeing different people, hearing their ideas, absorbing the interaction around me. More all the time I enjoy movies which focus on the interpersonal actions of the characters and all else is stage sets.

Loved it....Really loved it

Author: ianmacleod-337-98467 from UK
3 April 2013

I'll be honest and say I'd never even heard of this movie until I saw it on Sky Movies one sick day off from work.I put it on expecting an half a***d lazy movie with a few chuckles but,ended up feeling refreshed when it had finished.

their wasn't one part of the movie that dipped and had Me hooked from the first minute but I was really drawn in from the early scene with Kevin and the basketball game.

The main characters are played brilliantly and you go from hating Pat to loving him and feeling sorry for him and his situation.

The small side story with their mother at work is touching and the last 5 minutes gave me goosebumps.

its not laugh out loud hilarious but one of those rare gems that are worth watching just to make you think about your own situation and question your own destiny.

loved it :)