IMDb > "Off the Map" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Off the Map"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Off the Map" More at IMDbPro »

Off the map is worth watching!!

Author: Sara Jane Photogaphy from Kansas
14 January 2011

This was excellent. It kept me intrigued and interested through he whole pilot episode and left me with questions to be pondered at throughout the season as answers are given. It is unique, fun and the actors are amazing! I can't wait to watch more of this great show and begin to learn more about the characters. I am not sure why it's getting such lacking reviews. It had beautiful scenery, interesting story lines for a pilot episode and gave us some details about each new doctor as well as the older doctors. Hopefully people will respond better with the next few episodes. I see this being a very popular and well loved show in the future!

Intriguing

Author: Asproiu Liviu
29 January 2011

I just finished watching the 3rd episode before writing this review. I think the show is displaying great potential. It's the story of 3 young doctors who, after finishing their residence, get to South America and start of new. Of course there are some bumps, but it's just at the beginning, actors still have to know each other in order to put better performances, not that the ones that are on display now are bad. The story is good, the plot is developing really nice and I am really intrigued on how the characters will evolve given their stories so far. There is a little bit of resemblance to House M.D. and a McGyver, but at this moment what shows can you actually say are 100% original.

I really don't get the people that are giving bad reviews to this show, especially after seeing the reasons. For the people that want to see the show for its entertainment and story i fully recommend it, for the people that want 100% real cases with no fiction to them: go watch doctors in an hospital.

Watch it for the Entertainment, not the reality factor.

Author: nflores342 from United States
1 February 2011

The reason anyone should watch TV is to leave the world of their hectic and stressful life. Its to enjoy an hour or so of entertainment, love, action, and even some horror. Most of the reviews are for the lack of reality and writing in the show; and to an extent I understand, but the average person doesn't have knowledge of what "real" doctors do, and unless the writing is like "how are people getting paid for this crap?" then I'll agree. But as a lover of fun TV I have to say I enjoyed this show, it was funny, sad, suspenseful, and very romantic. Yeah sure its a bit predictable, but if its played out well then I don't mind. I see no problems with the acting. Its not Oscar worthy but it gets the job done. The setting of the show is breathtaking. Yeah its faked to be made out in South America, but I think its well done. So with that I gave the show an 8 because While I scrammed around the day stressed out of my mind, I watched "off the map" for an hour and felt happy and stress free when it was over, which is the point of the show. All I know is i'll watch the show until the end, and my only hope is that it gets steamier,sexier, and doesn't get canceled.

A truly enjoyable show

Author: mel82178 from Michigan, United States
24 February 2011

Off the Map has turned out to be an excellent show so far. Many people have complained that it is a rehashing of Grey's Anatomy and House, but I find it stands on its own quite well. I have never watched Grey's so I can't compare them, but I don't find it anything like House (other than the fact that they both feature medical staff).

OTM centers around a trio of young doctors that have left their residencies in the US for one reason or another and decide to start over in South America. The reason behind their leaving have provided great story lines and the weekly medical cases are interesting. This is prime-time, network television, so I'm not expecting earth-shattering cases, but each episode deals with some of the problems that could be expected in the middle of the jungle. A couple of the cases have actually sparked my interest enough to look into them (ex. Chaga's Disease).

This is the only show that I watch within 24 hours of the original airing and I try to watch it "live" as I like it so much. The cast is great (I have loved Martin Henderson since Bride & Prejudice) and the scenery is gorgeous. If you are looking for an entertaining hour that draws you into the characters lives, I highly recommend OTM.

One warning though, this is extremely graphic when it comes to blood and medical procedures. I'm a little squeamish and have had to look away more than once during a procedure.

Off the map is worth watching!!

Author: havenandlace from United States
16 March 2011

This is a great show that has wonderful character interaction and breath taking scenes. The new medical drama that comes with each new week is amazing and very unique! This is a show to watch from the beginning. I think it's beginning to catch it's groove. Everyone keeps complaining about this show being shot in the same location as where lost was shot at. Who cares? The shows have nothing to do with the other. Give this show a chance. I promise you'll slowly fall in love. Each new episode adds more drama and interweaves the story line even more. The actor/actresses that star in this show make it shine as well. They are very likable characters that make you care.

Off the Map gets on air with a rough start.

Author: TombRaider09 from Turku, Finland
16 January 2011

**this review is written based on the pilot episode**

There is nothing better than a fresh start, which drives a bunch of doctors into South America to provide health care in a free clinic. And the word fresh indeed conjures images of oranges bathing in the sun in somewhere tropical, and into the tropics we go in a new Shonda Rhimes executive produced medical drama, Off the Map.

Actually, the show is very much off the map since it is filmed in Hawaii, but takes place "somewhere in South America", which made me curious if the writers of the show didn't have access to maps. Regardless, the show's setting is quite stunning and the ocean has never looked better.

But that is what strikes me as odd. Considering the show's premise, you would expect to see an overcrowded, run-down medical clinic with desperate patients and even more stressed out doctors in continuous crisis over shortage of medical supplies. Instead, everyone seems to be pretty well off, the clinic runs smoothly and nothing is broken down. It's all actually quite pretty.

But I am getting off-track here. The story introduces us to three new doctors whom have just arrived from the States. They are welcomed less than warmly by the another trio of doctors (do you see the match-making formula here?), whom have little faith in the newcomers, pointing out that in the tropics, they won't last a day. Perhaps the writers forgot to write in the hardships the new docs are supposed to encounter, since none are present in the pilot.

Emerging romances, conflicting personalities and painful past stories are laid down in the pilot of Off the Map. It's a Shonda Rhimes show. Even if she didn't actually create it. But as Shonda did with Private Practice, the rough start will eventually find its own footing, or at least we can hope.

Love it!!!

Author: racersis
24 March 2011

I love this series and it's no different than Greys or ER was. I love the intertwined lives of the doctors and the jungle. The actors are decent and seem to play off of each other well. The location is believable enough, as I think they are supposedly in Peru somewhere. I've seen every episode and hope it continues on!!! It's one of those weekly shows that is totally a mix of McGyver and ER at times, in the way they save people, and their struggles in losing lives too. This week, the episode about a doctor who was doing surgery on black market for a man who needed kidney transplant (man was paying a lady for her kidney and the doctor to do the procedure) brought out the one aspect of this week's episode, which was "take a chance" on things - whether it be life, love, or otherwise. There is always an underlying message with this show.

off the list of shows I consider good.

Author: Andreas Zeller from Germany
14 August 2011

Well. I don't really see how anybody can watch this, consider it 'good', even for dull entertainment only. Without wanting to sound sexist and without being a sexist at all, you can still tell that this has been written by a woman. Entirely.

Moreover, this is the most unnecessarily violent piece of *beep* I have ever seen. I watched the entire first season, because I was curious if it was actually going to surprise me at all or if the plot is as predictable as I thought it would be. And IF I give it a bad review, I want it to be justified.

I think, the shows 'problem' is that it doesn't seem to be intentionally set as a soap, but it turns out to be one. It's cheesy, it's predictable, everybody hooks up and every bad-ass guy in the show is actually a nice guy hiding under a shell of tough dude behavior. Every 14-year-olds dream. But for 14-year-old girls, the show is way too violent and for every mature woman it's way too cheesy and exhausting to watch. But judging by the reviews, it apparently is not. Some grown women are still blinded by this dull type of entertainment.

Every single situation, every conflict, every plot detail is over-complicated. Here goes spoiler #1: One of the main characters wife is in a coma. His daughter died in an accident. And the girl who he is in love with, he kept pushing away in the past, because he's 'not ready', because of his wife of course. And when he finally decides to move on, the plot reveals that she has a heart condition and is probably going to die soon, too. Oh my f. god, I can't do that to him again... wtf?! Who writes that?!

Anyways, moving on.

In the first two episodes, the 'new' characters have problems adjusting to the new environment, because they don't know any Spanish. Stupid to go to 'South America' in the first place (I don't think they ever mentioned where exactly this is supposed to be, I'm guessing for legal reasons :) ), but never mind. Everything is going to be fine, because after the first two episodes, all the natives speak English just fine, all of a sudden.

Well, let's see about some cliff-notes. Is it worth watching for the following reasons?

Educational: not at all. No lessons learned. Role Models: None whatsoever. There's a bitch, a tough guy, a black guy, a Spanish gigolo, the typical nice and educated girl from the city, a man-whore, but (!) all of them turn out to be nice people under their tough shell of course. Realism: Don't bother. Crashing helicopters, crazy currents, anaconda-bites, ... Don't even know where to start.

I'm not getting into that any more, it's just overly complicated for no apparent reason, it's bloody and violent, just to be sensational. That's pretty much it.

I am not giving it one single star, because the actors do a very good job, even considering the script. All of them are very likable and believable. Especially Jonathan Castellanos does an amazing job, even though his English is a little bit too good for a native 'south-american'. Cinematography is also not bad either, even the special effects are well done. It's just that the plot is so incredibly bad that I can't even put it into words.

It's like watching a Katherine Heigl movie, combined with Stephenie Meyers writing skills, just that you find yourself wondering how the hell they good get the actors to ruin their careers with that.

Seriously, I could imagine myself in a lot of guest roles in the most crappy shows and movies, just for the fun of it. But I would pass on playing a dead guy in that show, because I don't think anybody would like to have that show in their resumee anywhere.

Predictable

Author: veeto7 from Slovenia
22 July 2011

First, i must say there is something likable about this show, it kept me watching for all 13 episodes and i don't regret it. Maybe it was nature which is beautiful, i don't know. But on the other hand i found it kind of boring, not just because of the stories, true some of the episodes were interesting but there was quite a few boring ones in sense of predictability. After 10 minutes into the episode you knew exactly what is going to happen in the next 30 minutes and not just with medical part of the show, but with personal life of characters which are also very predictable. There is of course their love life and we all know that in this kind of TV series they usually pair up among group and that is also the case here, just enough that it becomes annoying and their life before they came to the clinic to make a fresh start is cliché..so if i summarize, i kind of liked it but if it were less predictable it could actually be a good TV series.

p.s. sorry for my poor English and also this is my first review so bare with me :)

I can't believe I made it through 3 episodes

Author: lombardo_mia from United States
26 January 2011

Doctors without Borders meets Greys Anatomy. OK, so I know that these TV shows are not realistic at all to real life. I am sure when doctors watch Greys Anatomy they can't stand how fake and dramatic they make the show, and that is the same for me when I watch this show. I am a returned Peace Corps volunteer and I worked with many Doctors working overseas as volunteers. This show made me realize why so many Peace Corps and volunteer workers drop like flies within the first couple of months, because shows like this romanticize working overseas. It is a shame I really thought I would like this show, but I guess I wasn't expecting so much fiction. I wish there was more about all the HIV, or the specific culture in the area. All they did was make fun of a medicine man, and say locals die of TB because they are too stubborn to take western drugs. They also need to do some more research on little details. Such as the couple in the most recent episode saying they were in Peace Corps, but the woman was pregnant. Pregnant woman are not allowed in Peace Corps and they are kicked out if they get pregnant while there. Maybe I am being too hard on a type of show like this, I just really hope that the people watching this show don't believe this is the reality of foreign aid.