IMDb > "Body of Proof" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Body of Proof"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Body of Proof" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Give it a chance....it has potential and is medically accurate

Author: iamvinci89
1 April 2011

The series is about a defamed neurosurgeon Dr.Megan Hunt who has now left her profession as a surgeon and has become the medical examiner . She uses her expertise as a brilliant neurosurgeon to solve murders. ### THIS is the review based on PILOT ###

Just by seeing a pilot one can never decide if the show is good/bad...one can only guess how it might turn out..Most reviews here seem to judge it too early.

Dana Delany was good, not excellent. She tried her best in the pilot to portray in forty minutes , how a woman would feel in her position. It is tough to make an impression in the very first episode because an actor needs to build a solid foundation upon which her character would develop richly and as something people will connect to in the coming episodes. If in some scenes she seemed to falter I feel the writers are to blame because they seem to try hard to stuff all the emotions and past story in just 40 minutes and hey don't forget, there is a murder to solve too. Her character seem to unravel in a hurry and it's not Delany's fault.

The supporting cast were okay, actually they seemed like stereotypes taken from series like house(boss of hunt seemed like cuddy), the detectives(csi and castle?) and so on...yes the writers need to develop these characters better, although the confused doctor played by Geoffrey Arend (Dr. Elliot)and the frenemy played by Middlebrooks(Dr. Curtis) were unique and entertaining.

And for the plot, I cannot think of any plot holes and as a person in the medical field I can say that the medicine part was not slouchy like some soaps ( cough..grays anatomy)and was actually convincing.

So in conclusion, I would not write off the show this early...Let's wait and see how it develops.

It has improved

Author: mannoman-1 from United States
28 April 2011

As much as I REALLY like Dana Delany, the first show did not showcase the writer's best abilities and I would have rated it a 5, at best. Nonetheless,I continue to watch the show and it has improved quite rapidly. The episode where Megan's (Dana) spoiled daughter has a school video project on what your parent does for a living was quite well written, particularly the closing. I think those who have given the show a chance have been pleasantly surprised.

Much has been said about Dana's character being obnoxious. I don't find her obnoxious at all. I think "direct" is a better word. The weakest links are the medical examiner's staff. They don't appear capable to have risen to that level of medical smarts. In general, the casting is a bit weak but, as always, Dana Delany is a joy and she carries the series.

Hooked me!

Author: lbrandst3 from United States
30 March 2011

I loved 'Body of Proof.' The quips were funny, Dr. Hunt was intriguing, and Dana Delany put on a wonderful performance. I started watching because I loved Dana in 'Castle' as Special Agent Jordan Shaw. Her character is similar, which I like; blunt, snarky, but human. She has a softer side that it a refreshing thing to see on a show like this. Her situation makes you want to hug her, but her edge makes you want to cross the street when you see her coming.

While unconventional, (I know some people's heads are spinning because of an ME playing detective, which really wouldn't happen,) I think it is in the character's nature, and that is really the premises of the show. I mean, it really just shows how extraordinarily smart she is.

I am really interested to see where this goes. I realize that shows like this can be overdone, but I am ready to give BOP a shot. I can already see parallels to shows like 'Castle' and 'CSI', but it is only the first week. I am definitely going to watch on Sunday and Tuesday to see what transpires. :)

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be after the first 5 minutes

Author: dmgreer from Dallas, TX
30 March 2011

It was often silly, with enough clichés to fill all the cheesecakes in Philadelphia, enough exposition to require a PowerPoint presentation, and enough irascible doctor/detective work to make you wonder if the main character was the love child of Monk, House, Patrick Jayne, Tim Roth, Alexx Woods, Jessica Fletcher, and maybe even Harriet Korn but by golly someone was found to have died of Lupus in the first episode, and you can't beat that with a stick!

The thing is, I love medical shows and I love detective shows, so it's hard to go wrong with a combination of the two, and how are you going to do that except by keying on the Medical Examiner? Like House, the medical part of it seems pretty accurate, and it's fun trying to beat Dr. Hunt to the diagnosis. Oh yeah, and I also enjoy shows where people notice a lot of seemingly unimportant things - it gives me an incentive to heighten my own sense of awareness.

So you've got the keep-it-simple cop, and the hunky blond guy, the hard nosed but incredibly good looking female boss, and the somewhat incompetent assistant all playing off of the irascible main character who's so good at her job you can't fire her. But at least it's a woman this time!

hmmm

Author: redhead_9au-1 from Australia
19 September 2011

I love Dana Delany and I love crime shows....this show delivers in a similar way Desperate Housewives and the such do, unbelievable in certain aspects but thoroughly enjoyable at the same time.

I take some issue with the stiletto heels and the autopsies performed with the male cast members in a hair net and Miss Delany performing the main tasks with hers long and flowing.... but of course she looks great doing it ;)

The characters are fun and likable and the show has potential, I will continue to watch for the entertainment value, but don't expect too much complexity or originality.

Decent series but too predictable/generic to keep my interest.

Author: awdlnd from United States
30 March 2011

I really like crime series like Law & Order, NYPD Blue, Life, Blue Bloods, Detroit 1-8-7, and Chicago Code but this one lost my interest within the first 5 minutes. In order to properly review it I watched the rest.

This is very similar to House only with the existence of criminal elements. I like House unfortunately I don't feel Delaney's character is anywhere close to being as strong as Hugh Laurie's.

Most people should be able to figure out most of the elements of where this series will go as well as the characters' synopses within the first 10 minutes which I find unfortunate.

I will agree that Law & Order can have very boring and generic/predictable dialog from time to time which is the same as this series but for some reason I have trouble getting passed it on this show.

So I would chalk up Delaney's character as a weak House character with mild generic overtones similar to Goren on L&O: Criminal Intent, Gibbs on NCIS, and Horatio on CSI: Miami only without the over-the-top comedic values of Horatio. I am tiring of the know-it-all, super-hero, arrogant type characters in TV series these days...

I may catch an episode later to see if there have been any improvements but I won't be setting this up on the DVR yet.

I am curious how they will be developing the beer truck driver as Deputy Chief Medical Examiner though...

...Something else I just discovered is that this seemingly Horatio-inspired series will most likely replace Detroit 1-8-7. I can't help but think there was some politics involved...I would think this was a horrible move but the CSI franchise remains alive and well so what do I know...

nice character development

Author: sydboy007 from Australia
25 March 2012

After watching the first few episodes I wasn't sure if I'd bother with any more. Initially I found Megan Hunt annoying, with her colleges too weak. It felt like a poor version of house.

After the halfway mark in the first season I noticed the character development and started to like most of the support cast. There's a decent level of comedy and I suppose we're seeing Megan learn how to deal emotionally with others.

Yes the show is formulaic, but then these days what show isn't. For an hour of my time I get a decent drama, a few laughs, and the odd smile. I'm looking forward to seeing how the character develop further nd hop we'll get a season 3.

Just hits the spot

Author: tennis_star_125 from Sydney, Australia
20 August 2011

i personally love crime shows like 'Bones' and 'Castle' and 'Body of Proof' is exactly what i wanted, it mixes the excitement of crime fighting with the complex work of forensic analysis.

It is shows like this and my liking towards science which led me to want to be a forensic examiner. It keeps interest, which is hard these days with so many crime shows on TV, while still staying in the context of crime fighting and has a well composed back story.

To conclude, 'Body of Proof' is wonderful in its ability to bring together all the best aspects of modern crime shows while staying unique in its own way and is a great show for people of all age

Abysmal writing, Caricatures not Characters

Author: catgirl6 from Los Angeles
15 May 2011

The reason certain shows make it and others don't, when they basically have the same general setting (hospital shows like Gray's & ER, or coroner shows like Bones & the '70s Quincy, M.E.) is because of the *main* characters, not so much each week's patient or each week's story line, except as it moves the relationships between the primary parties.

Will Bones & Booth from the series "Bones", ever get together? Will Angela & Hodgins find their way back to each other (which took several seasons to find out!)? It's a "hook" that keeps you coming back for more. And that's what this show is sorely lacking.

Here, the writers introduce us to Megan Hunt, neurosurgeon turned coroner, due to a condition that causes her hands to go numb at inopportune times, so she can no longer work on live patients. Being a neurosurgeon, she obviously has to have a healthy ego, and we learn that she's also a workaholic who has a reputation for not being very nice. Having put her work ahead of her family, Megan is divorced and her daughter Lacey lives with her father, who won custody by convincing the court that Megan was an unfit parent due to her consistent absence from their daughter's life.

So after that introduction, we're meant to wonder how Megan will be able to rebuild her broken relationship with her estranged daughter. We hope to see a poignant story unfold about a mother earning her daughter's trust and love again.

****SPOILER ALERT****

In episode 2 (Letting Go) Megan's daughter, Lacey, angrily ran off, telling her mother she was "trying too hard". It broke Megan's heart and she's left at the end of the episode crying in her car. We don't see or hear about Lacey in episode 3 (Helping Hand) and in episode 4 (Talking Heads) Lacey has chosen to do a video essay about her mother's job for a class and asks to spend the day with her at her work. What? When did she stop hating her mother?

Yet for all the begging and pleading to spend more time with her daughter that the audience is subjected to, and the father doesn't allow, Megan is suddenly reluctant to have her daughter with her for the day and starts off objecting! Suddenly she doesn't want her daughter to get to know her better?

But of course she relents and by the end, "what Lacey learns in the process profoundly changes her view of her mother." Well isn't that nice and wrapped up? Except it's apparently not. By episode 7 (All in the Family), when Megan's ex-husband asks her to fill in for him and pick Lacey up at a friend's house the next day, Megan has to call Lacey to make sure she's really all right with that. Why? Well, as Megan explains, "the last time I saw you, you said I was trying too hard." Uhm, no she didn't. That happened the time *before* last.

Megan Hunt is extremely driven with a reputation as a "ball buster". Her colleagues are afraid of her wrath and she storms around talking to people like dirt. So, will she ever be able to lose her anger and start to build relationships with her co-workers? YES! In three episodes she went from a woman who was a hard*** to a woman who sews torn jacket sleeves. Awwww, how sweet -- and completely unrealistic of a turnaround.

According to the back story, she's been working with these people for 4 years in the coroner's office, but they write their interactions as if they only started working together a few weeks ago. Now in episode 3 she suddenly cares about their lives? Why? What was the catalyst? There wasn't one. At least not one the writers bothered to take any time to *build*. No, all it took was her boss, Kate Murphy (played by Jeri Ryan) telling her she might try showing an interest in her colleagues. She's never said that to her before in the past 4 years? And that simple request was enough to make her Mrs. Nice Gal?

This show is trying too hard to mimic "Bones", while not-so-successfully pretending not to. And just so we "get it", in episode 7 (All in the Family) the writers have Megan's ex show up at her office because he needs a Forensic Anthropologist, which Megan must, of course, remind him that she isn't. That would, strangely (because this is supposedly the coroner's office, not The Jeffersonian), be her boss. Or should I say her boss's boss. Except for the fact that Megan's always giving orders to her boss and reporting to her boss's boss as if she were her boss.

This show is so sloppy they should put it on a bun, call it Joe, and serve it with a tall glass of milk.

Dana Delany in police procedural

Author: SnoopyStyle
20 August 2013

It's been awhile since Dana Delany has single-handedly led a TV show. Not since China Beach anyways. She's good enough to anchor this police procedural as the medical examiner. She's abrasive but she never truly found the required love interest. It ran 3 seasons, and was a surprise renewal for each season. Sadly, it never truly caught on.

Jeri Ryan is the other big name in the show. They did try to ramp up the action/danger in the 3rd season. It was probably done to try to save it from sure cancellation. It was obvious this show is the low man on the network. If they didn't improve, there was no hope. So they threw the dice. Too bad they didn't win.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]