IMDb > I, Anna (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
I, Anna

I, Anna More at IMDbPro »

Good, atmospheric film noir with great central performance

Author: scatty_pennelaine from United Kingdom
21 February 2012

Enjoyed this film. Thought it had an interesting take on London, showing us a different city to the one often seen in films. The stylised way it was shot might be too much for some people but I really liked it and felt it gave the film a great atmosphere. London looked wonderful.

Add to that some subtle and nuanced performances, particularly from Charlotte Rampling who really carries it. She was superb. There are some weaknesses and it won't be a film that appeals to everyone but if you do fancy watching something that requires you to think, is atmospheric, beautifully filmed and acted then I, Anna is worth watching.

A slow start but worth the wait....

Author: (Lucy-westmore) from .
15 October 2012

The erroneous synopsis to this stylish if slightly flawed thriller, does not do the intricate, complex story the justice it deserves. Barnaby Southcombe's debut feature is an adaption of Elsa Lewin's dark novel of the same name. Shot in various locations around London, it unravels the story of the relationship between a high ranking detective (Gabriel Byrne) investigating the murder of a no good low life, and a middle aged divorcée, Charlotte Rampling, with whom he develops a potentially damaging obsession. The film unfolds slowly but is worth the wait. The film engages the viewer as the pace quickens and story intensifies and things just gets better and better. Strong performances from the two stars as one would expect. A wonderful vehicle for Charlotte Rampling to prove a woman over 50 can be just as sexy and alluring as any 25 year old, she is totally convincing as the fragile, complex protagonist. And a real treat to have Eddie Marsan on screen, every film is improved by his presence, never puts a foot wrong, superb. London is a stylish but never overwhelming backdrop to this pleasing contemporary film noir. And a cracking soundtrack too...

An Unusual Suspect

Author: corrosion-2 from United Arab Emirates
25 July 2012

I, Anna is an above average film noir atmospherically filmed in London. The usual noir elements are present: the cop with a failed marriage, the female suspect with whom the cop falls in love, nice use of London locations and cinematography to match it. The two leads are expertly played by seasoned actors Gabriel Byrne and Charlotte Rampling. It is a promising debut for Barnaby Southcombe, who has added a new element in his adaptation of the source novel, which has given greater depth to the story and characters.

A trivia point: Barnaby Southcombe is the real life son of Charlotte Rampling!

An intelligent film Noir with a complex and rare central female character

Author: eleanoryule from Glasgow UK
8 December 2012

This is a brilliantly crafted and paced film with a deep understanding of the Noir genre. It also contributes to the very small canon of films that depict mature female screen characters, rarely seen in the UK fictional media. The cinematography is acute and the lighting extraordinary. the music bold and moody noir. The denouement is not predictable, even though you think it might be, and it taps deeply into real emerging social issues in the UK - so even though noir is often style over content there is a real message to this film which works on you long after the viewing. But the world it creates is steady, fascinating and waiting for you....

Slow, inconsistent, bad.

Author: boogschutter-791-366316
29 June 2013

I didn't like it at all, I kept unmoved and bored. And, after reading the fact that the film director was Rampling's son, I understood everything... Awfully bad directed. Not even an actor of the calibre of Mr Byrne can save this movie from being a bad version of a film noir. Sorry for Ms Rampling but even her was not convincing at all. I also spotted a scene at a beach where the sea was just a theatre set! That was really bad. There was a static view of the sea just behind the figure of Ms Rampling. I was so distracted by this fact that I had to rewind a little to see if I lost anything from the plot. Won't recommend it.

Goes nowhere fast

Author: zif ofoz from United States
1 April 2014

This is one of those trick flicks that tosses out multiple characters with multiple stories making you think it will all come together at some point.

Ha Ha! You won't find that here!

The most this flick gives is a few artsy views of London made all moody with overcast skies. The story jumps around, cops race around, Anna is forever on the move with that fractured wrist. And just what was that teenage guy up to? It's never made clear.

Loose ends throughout. But I stuck with it thinking it would all come together.

By the end of the movie you want to just scream "JUMP - PLEASE"!

A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Author: tomsview from Sydney, Australia
5 March 2014

Any film starring Charlotte Rampling is worth watching just for her presence alone – even after nearly fifty years in the movies, she still adds an enigmatic quality that's hard to define.

She is very much centre stage in "I, Anna". Not so surprising really, it was directed by her son, Barnaby Southcombe, who, it must be said, directed his mum in some pretty challenging scenes.

The story is complex and hard to follow. Although it does make more sense by the end, it isn't by much. It is also a film that may have visited the "is it real or is it just imagination" plot just one time too many.

The story has a number of strands that eventually wind together. Anna Welles (Charlotte Rampling) is searching for a relationship through a speed-dating club run by Louise (Caroline Catz). She lives with her daughter, Emmy (Hayley Atwell) and baby grand daughter – or does she?

Gabriel Byrne as policeman, DCI Bernie Reid, is investigating the murder of a middle-aged man in a high-rise apartment. During the course of his investigation, he meets Anna in the apartment building, but later, she doesn't remember the occasion at all. Reid follows Anna and joins the dating club to make contact with her.

The film also involves a young guy who shared the unit with the murdered man. However, without giving too much of the plot away, I feel that Anna and DCI Reid's motivations remain unclear even at the end. Is she a femme fatale or just delusional? Is he captivated by her or just using an unorthodox method to solve the murder case? The film is just too obscure all the way through – like a sketch that needed a lot more colour and brushwork to finish it off.

A movie such as "I, Anna" must also compete with first class, movie-length television series such as "Vera", "Lewis" and "Wallander" to name just a few, which have complicated, well thought out plots and brilliant characterisations – the competition is hefty, and I don't think "I, Anna", after a promising start, really ups the ante all that much.

Despite the presence of the perennially enigmatic Charlotte Rampling, the story is just too thin, and has a denouement that we've seen before in other movies.