IMDb > "Rake" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Rake" More at IMDbPro »

Great people can be dysfunctional

Author: TesaRants from Somewhere
5 September 2012

This TV series tries not to lecture too much in order to recognize that people who are good at their jobs can have many other flaws. In other words, this series is very engaging because it has characters who are not wooden or black and white. Most characters in the show are somewhat dysfunctional and yet they have decent core values. And the most dysfunction is the main character who happens to be an excellent lawyer dealing with very difficult to defend cases or sometimes guilty people.

The acting and the dialog is superb. Every single episode that I have seen has been well written and that is not always the case even for many great TV shows. This show also manages to incorporate comedy, drama and suspense very well.

I love it and I wish that there were more episodes.

Off to a flying start

Author: Steve Shanahan from Canberra, Australia
31 October 2010

It's obviously a bit early to tell after one episode, but I reckon that this series could be a beauty.

There wasn't a moment when the pace flagged or you felt you were in a scene that wasn't propelling the narrative forward. Each scene added to the exposition and the atmosphere, while managing to be entertaining and not too contrived.

The script clearly has class and wit and the casting and acting are top notch.

In the end, you've just got to love a show that has you crying and laughing at the same time when Professor Murray appeals to the court despairingly "I'm not a murderer! I'm an economist!"

One of Australia's best shows

Author: kimmoth from Australia
10 September 2012

I was overjoyed to hear this show is back, and stunned to realise I'd forgotten about it (although it's been a year without a season).

Being reminded of its existence, let alone the prospect of another season, was enough to cause uncontrollable grinning.

I love everything about it. The production values, the writing, the casting, the acting, it's all superb. But what I love most about it is the show's timbre; its aim and stance; its beautifully human angle. Many bonus points also for the regular moments of absolute hilarity.

After watching the first episode of the second season, I can't wait for next week... this will get the long months waiting for the final instalment of Breaking Bad off to a good start.

real life

Author: peterm1 from Australia
26 May 2012

While the cases in this series are over the top, believe it or not the main character in this is based on real person. Charles Waterstreet a Sydney barrister whose life is apparently every bit as colorful as the series would have you believe . Real life is stranger than fiction. Especially at the New South Wales bar, apparently. Waterstreet is mate of Richard Roxborough the star of the series who plays him in it. A younger and more handsome version as Roxborough smilingly says in one interview. The point is if you enjoy this series you should google waterstreet and find out more about him. As for me while something tells me he is the kind of guy who creates chaos in the lives of people around him, there is something about him that I find admirable and engaging. And this comes across in the show. PS love the show.

Refreshingly irreverent law and disorder show

Author: jatrudel from United States
22 April 2011

that's about as subtle as a whoopie cushion, this series is one of the finer representations of the human comedy if there ever was one; Honore De Balzac would have loved it. Only the Aussies could take a Fish called Wanda and turn it into a Shark Called Sheila. This show has something for everyone - comedy, tragedy, buffoonery, you name it. Neither adult men and women nor the legal profession will ever be looked upon in the same light again.

*****Spoiler alert**** Our hero is a barrister who wanders through life fixing miscarriages of justice while playing both straight man and the fool to his friends, foes and lovers. Along the way he collects women to help him address his various and sundry insecurities, but it only adds to the confusion when they express empathy, then invariably leave. He has a kind and trusting soul, and they do eventually gravitate back, using him to recharge their feelings of self-worth before sallying forth again. In one episode he finds himself besieged by his ex slash psychiatrist, his former prostitute slash legal intern, and his partner's wife as they each individually seek asylum in his apartment, and all three end up sleeping together in his bed while he sleeps alone on the couch. Rated R for nudity and f-bombs.

Anti-hero is a sympathetic character

Author: kgratton from Melbourne, Australia
27 January 2013

Every once in a (long) while the Australian TV industry can dig up a gem. You're never quite sure which network will produce the next 'East West 101' or 'MDA', but chances are that an intriguing new show will turn up on the government-owned ABC.

That is certainly the case with 'Rake', which I understand has been signed off for a third season - and is also the model for an American version to go into production shortly.

I wouldn't have bothered writing a review for this series, but felt compelled to respond to remarks from reviewer colbur-1. Many of the actors making cameo appearances in this show are well-known names, as other reviewers have noted, but of the regulars probably only Richard Roxburgh would be well known outside the framework of this series.

Regrettably, I don't see any of the "cringeworthy jingoism" or 1960s insularity. This is an immensely entertaining show if you can stand the robust language and moral ambivalence. But even in that context the heroic stature of Matt Day's character serves as a foil to Roxburgh's.

The beauty of this series, beyond the wonderful character development, is that the stories overcome that stumbling block of Australian film and TV: mediocre script writing. Being based on reality and frequently drawing on true life situations 'Rake' eases willing suspension of disbelief even as it descends further into the surreal.

It's a show that will shock and amuse; it's by no means a typical sitcom, but it's real life, with its flawed villains and cynics - mostly with their redeeming virtues. Even farm girl-turned-mobster and part-time lusty wench Kirsty - played by Robyn Malcolm - has her own reasons for her actions.

And if that isn't enough to draw you in to watch this show, I don't know what will.

His life can only be described as a f——in trinewrick…

Author: The_late_Buddy_Ryan from UWS, NYC, USA
18 March 2014

Just two eps into season three, this is looking like one of the best TV series from anywhere, ever. Was dimly aware of Richard Roxburgh as a veteran Aussie actor who's in a lot of action flicks; he's a revelation here as Cleaver Greene, a Sydney trial lawyer with a gambling habit, multiple substance-abuse issues and a private life that can only be described as a f——in trinewrick. The scripts are inventive and very funny, Cleaver's drunken harangues in inappropriate venues especially so; the cases are sometimes based on real-world causes célèbres (like the cannibal who advertised online for a dinner partner), the ongoing dramedy of Cleaver's personal life is involving (and very funny), and the ep where Cleaver gets out of a slump by defending an Assange-like activist who's charged with treason is positively uplifting. The supporting cast is amazing; Australian TV seems to have a very deep bench of beautiful actresses who can really act, starting with Adrienne Pickering as Cleaver's love interest and onetime Xena sidekick Danielle Cormack as a cougar prosecutor. Guest spots by Aussie notables like Rachel Griffiths as a racebaiting shock jock, Toni Collette as a randy politician and Hugo Weaving as the cannibal—and those crispy accents with the foot-long vowel sounds—make this fabulous show even more delightful. First two seasons are available for streaming on Netflix, the third (even better!) is available on DVD. The kangaroo court scene from season three is one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Aussie TV well worth your time if you love a good bad boy . . .

Author: purrlgurrl from United States
4 May 2014

Not being Australian and completely unfamiliar with Australian TV, I came to Rake without any expectations or preconceived notions. I find the show is hilarious and mesmerizing at the same time, in no small part due to Roxburgh's performance. He's terrific as a cad with a heart of 14K gold plated brass.

In some ways, Rake is reminiscent of, but doesn't imitate, the great Robbie Coltrane series, Cracker, with both lead characters brilliant in their professional lives, yet exasperatingly self-destructive train wrecks once they're off the clock.

The show's been Americanized by Fox, starring Greg Kinnear (an actor of whom I'm a big fan), but I'm avoiding the Fox series because I've been told the edge of the Australian original was sanded down for American audiences. But, it's the sharp edge that I enjoy. If you can get your hands on the OZ version of Rake, you ought to watch it. It's really good TV.

Foolishly avoided this when it first came out

Author: peterbreis from Australia
24 March 2014

…but have rectified that with desperate anticipation driven out of absolute addiction.

It is magnificently written, cast, structured and performed.

What makes it most riveting to those of us blessed with living in and around the actual locations and situations, is that lots of the stories are absolutely true (given a few exaggerations here and there) with "only the names changed to protect the guilty".

I can't imagine how they got filming permission for the scenes in the actual NSW parliament, when the story line revolved around the rottenness of our recently evicted government.

If only the real party hacks were as funny as their corruption is real. Maybe we could actually forgive them. Instead they are dull, boring, incompetent and corrupt, very little amusement value there.

Hard to imagine anyone ever playing the role of Cleaver Green to the hilt the way Richard Roxborough has. Having seen the dull, American rendition, makes Richard's performance only shine the more brilliantly.

I hope there are many more series in the pipeline. This show is honestly the best I have seen in decades. Right up there with Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones. And a whole lot funnier! :)

A Lawyers life ain't easy .....

Author: boogittie from Australia
4 February 2013

This show is really great, it makes you laugh, & smirk, but all the time it is showing just how corrupt & laughable the entire legal system is. Even though the main character is a lawyer himself he is constantly being victimized by the very same "System" he is part of. Richard Roxburgh plays his part to perfection, as the real underdog, doing what ever he can to fight against the tide of whoa that never seems to end. But he also shows how frail we can all be & how the world can get on top of us, no matter what we try to do to fight it. We all have hopes for how things will turn out in our life, but the reality is we have no control over any of it, & even a Lawyers life ain't easy .......