What to Expect When You're Expecting (2012) Poster

91 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
A brain off comedy that is a little out of convention
Gordon-1113 September 2012
This film is about several couples who are expecting babies. They run into various troubles and emotional rollercoasters while preparing themselves for parenthood.

"What to Expect When You're Expecting" is a lighthearted comedy that makes you laugh, just like what is advertised. Of course, the way to parenthood is not just happy and joyful, so the film also realistically portrays the unglamorous side of expecting mothers. Some of these are presented as crude toilet humour, while others are presented as emotional rollercoasters that will touch your heart. I like the fact that characters in "What to Expect When You're Expecting" do not have a smooth breezy path, but face adversity like in real life. It is an interesting comedy for expecting mothers.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
deserves a higher rating in my opinion
miarae21 June 2012
Honestly, the reason for seeing this movie was nothing more and nothing less than the desire to go to the cinema with a friend. With some other movies not interesting her, it was between The Lucky Ones and this one, both movies that have a low score on IMDb. I was pleasantly surprised, however, with not just the actors in the movie but also with the dialogue and chemistry on screen, which seemed very natural. I definitely enjoyed watching it and will most likely end up buying it on DVD; not even the fact that Chris Rock was in it bothered me, whereas I usually can't stand him. I have to applaud Jennifer Lopez too, I never thought much of her as an actress, but I found myself sympathizing with her and liking her portrayal of the character. Over all, I find that this movie deserves a higher score than it's currently got on IMDb.
33 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Completely shallow, generic and boring movie
vasot023 June 2012
Contrarily to this adapted verbose title, one shouldn't 'expect' much that is, unless literary desecration is in your hand of cards--if that is the game you're looking to play, then consider this mess a winner.

Inspired by Heidi Murkoff's multimillion-selling-self-help-book for expectant mothers--holding the same name--'What to Expect', the film, will be much less prolific. Obviously a lot more work, and money, towards getting an ensemble cast--as opposed to garnering producers with emphasis on purpose and ingenuity--the filmmakers, here, create a product that is not the least bit unique it's a generic label laden with followed genre-specific clichés, bawdy humor, and disjointed direction.

Despite its few laughs, known cast, and affecting hints towards pregnancy, 'What to Expect' is an over-packed piece of "luggage" that becomes too frustrating to haul around. An immersion too tediously futile and not nearly enough funny. Expect worse...
45 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Insult to Mothers and Especially Fathers
danew138 September 2012
Take films such as New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day, but remove any continuity and romance, replacing it with an attempt at suburban farce in a scene of mass parenthood and that describes What to Expect...the only thing is I wasn't expecting such bad big budget, big cast film. Yet, I should have known after seeing a turkey like New Year's Eve.

The worst part of this film was something that liberal Hollywood loves, from TV adverts to movies, the denigration of the American man.

Talk about role reversal...according to this mess. all women do is have kids...its the men that raise them, in tight knit groups...virtually every guy in this group is totally henpecked and submissive to their wives.

The only decent romantic story line was that of a young woman who has a miscarriage and misses out of the man she has longed to love...yet, her story is relegated to mere brief sound-bites as the film jumps around from couple to couple and always winding up back with the inadequate group of chaotic husbands....a waste of time.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh gee, what a waste of money.
Jimmy Collins18 June 2012
I saw the trailer for What To Expect When You're Expecting and I thought it looked funny, and more than 1 of the cast members happen to be favorites of mine, but pretty much 20 minutes in, I knew I was going to hate this movie. Out of all of the mega cast movies of late, this is indeed the weakest of all of them. This movie is meant to be a comedy, but I didn't laugh once or even come remotely close to laughing, the cast, some if which are rather talented never get a chance to prove themselves as every scene is so ridiculously short, and the script, talk about a cheese overload, and this is written by Shauna Cross, who wrote a terrifically funny script for Whip It, it's a shame none of the heart, wit and humor that was in that could transfer to this film.

The one saving grace this film has is the always wonderful Anna Kendrick, her character is the only one worth mentioning, and one particular scene of hers nearly brought me to tears, she's honestly the only person to stand out in this movie, in fact the storyline between Anna and Chace Crawford would probably make a good film on it's own, without having to compete for screen time with 4 other plot lines, I'm sure Anna's next movie will leave this as a distant memory.

Honestly I just can't even explain how silly this movie is, it's best to just see it and surely you will see for yourself. Just wait for the DVD, giving birth is probably less painful than watching this. Mega thumbs down.
34 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No great expectations from this pregnant pause
gregeichelberger14 May 2012
It's "New Year's Eve" in the neo-natal unit; "Valentine's Day" with a uterus; "Knocked Up" times five. Unfortunately, that's about the best I can write about this film featuring the ups and downs of having a baby.

In an attempt to jump on the multi-story, large cast bandwagon, director Kirk Jones (the charming "Waking Ted Devine," the horrid "Nanny McPhee") - with the assistance of writers Shauna Cross and Heather Hach ("Freaky Friday") - give us a few sparkling comedic moments, only to ruin it all with depressing dramatic letdowns and cinema's most predictable conclusion.

Then again, some of the heavier scenes are actually more (unintentionally) hilarious than the lighter ones. And while there is nothing unusual about comedies with dramatic overtones, this movie is all over the map, going from pure joy in some sequences to outright horror and heartbreaking grief in the next one.

Like "Hamlet," the movie suffers from an inability to make up its mind.

With a cast featuring Elizabeth Banks ("The 40-Year Old Virgin," "Man On a Ledge"), Cameron Diaz ("Something About Mary," "Killers"), Dennis Quaid ("Cheaper By the Dozen," "The Express"), Jennifer Lopez ("The Back-Up Plan"), Chris Rock ("Death At a Funeral"), Ben Falcone ("Bridesmaids"), Brooklyn Decker ("Just Go With It"), Wendi McLendon-Covey ("Bridesmaids," "Reno: 911" TV series), Rebel Wilson ("Ghost Rider," "Bridesmaids"), Anna Kendrick ("50/50," "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World"), Rob Huebel ("I Love You, Man") and Thomas Lennon ("Hot Tub Time Machine"), among others, one figures the humor quotient would rate high in this endeavor.

One would mostly be wrong, however.

Plot has five Atlanta couples: Evan (Matthew Morrison, "Glee" TV series) and Jules (Diaz); Alex (Rodrigo Santoro, "Post Grad") and Holly (Lopez); Ramsey (Quaid) and Skyler (Decker); Gary (Falcone) and Wendy (Banks); and Marco (Chace Crawford, "Gossip Girls" TV series) and Rosie (Kendrick), all of whom are in various stages of pregnancy and/or child expectations.

Evan and Jules have hooked up while involved on the show, "Celebrity Dance Factor," (she throws up on live television after the final episode), and now constantly bicker about whether or not to circumcise the baby boy-to-be.

Gary, who was on a fat-loss TV show, and children's author Wendy are now expecting after years of trying; but also discover that Gary's neglectful, NASCAR driver father, Ramsey, and his young wife are going to have twins. The sad-sack, wimpy, whining son is one-upped by the old man - again.

Ad man Alex and professional photographer Holly are looking to adopt an Ethiopian newborn; while Marco and Rosie - who work in competitive food trucks - have a one-night stand. Somehow, all of these characters end up connected with each other, no matter how far-fetched these situations become.

And for couples having their first children, there is little chemistry or real love exhibited herewithin. The emotional depth is as shallow as a saucer and just as inconsequential.

Most of the yuks here are from Wendy, who wanted "the glow" of pregnancy, but discovers the aches, pains and uncontrollable bodily functions are paramount (her "mother-in-law," however, seems to have no trouble, at all).

A few more - rather uncomfortable - laughs are solicited from Janice (Wilson), Wendy's idiot assistant (who honestly gets more snickers due to her weight than her jokes, sad to say).

The movie's worst crime, though, is Alex's association with a group of depressing new dads, including Rock, Huebel and Lennon, who meet at a park each day and spout unwanted and unnecessary advice to him about being a father.

Few of these scenes are funny - and a running gag of one of the men's children tripping, falling and being hit in the head with full beer cans - is simply dreadful.

A herky-jerky film which lacks a fluid, coherent story, as well as any semblance of pacing, aborts what could have been a much better movie and will certainly give many viewers sympathy and - most likely - labor pains for its 110-minute running time.
30 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slick, well acted, but in the end a bit empty...
Movie Geek25 May 2012
What to Expect When You're Expecting (2012)

Director: Kirk Jones. Cast: Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, Elizabeth Banks, Chace Crawford, Anna Kendrick, Matthew Morrison, Dennis Quaid, Chris Rock.

Don't ask me what possessed me to go and watch this film. In my defence I can tell you that I had seen everything else at my local multiplex and I had 2 hours to spare. Also the cast seemed impressive enough... and, to top it all up, my wife is pregnant, so I thought at least I would fit its target audience just perfectly.

To be completely honest I was expecting (sorry about the pun) something a lot worse: this is one of those average ensemble comedies where, as always some of the stories and some of the characters are more successful than others but in the end they are so many of them that if you are a parent or preparing to be one, you're bound to find a something to like... Other than that, this is all pure middle-class Hollywood, pretty slick, light-hearted but with enough sweet-and-sour moments to make it feel like it's actually about something. Obviously at the end of the day it's all rather forgettable, and it's actually a great shame, because the acting talent a shown here is impressive (surprisingly even Jennifer Lopez showcases a nuanced performance unlike much we'd seen before) both directing and editing are potentially quite skilled at doing what they do and the few good moments here and there give you a little glimpse of what it could have been.

The main problem is that the film is just not funny enough to be able to be a crowd pleaser and looses itself among the too many subplots, some of which are way off the main subject, to be able to become a classic (the golf cart chase sequence is one of the lowest and unfunny points and the father group sequences, despite Chris Rock, are just too indulgent, over the top and long). However having said all this, I must confess, even though I laughed very little, I found myself moved a couple of times: oh dear, it really must be the hormones (I think they call it sympathetic pregnancy).

6/10 wp.me/p19wJ2-yv
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't expect much when you're expecting
reggieschneider119 May 2012
Well... don't expect much. The plot is thin, predictable and the movie is simply not funny. My girlfriend roped me in -- so I went. The cast was likable... but everything else about the movie I couldn't bear. That said, this is a sure fire girl film that your lady love... especially if she has baby on her mind. The cast is very easy on the eyes.. especially the gorgeous Brooklyn Decker who is certainly bound to a be a big star. Jennifer Lopez was not very good or funny. My favorite characters in the film were Chris Rock and Anna Kendrick who are always funny and spot on in their roles. Great date film... but GUYS, beware -- you are in for a tedious night.
30 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Self-Help Book Gets the Romcom Treatment
Chris_Pandolfi18 May 2012
"What to Expect When You're Expecting" is another unfortunate example of what happens when real self-help book advice is applied to the plot of a romantic comedy. Having just a few weeks ago suffered through the joyless "Think Like a Man," we have yet again a strained, unfocused, badly developed relationship farce that focuses more on slapstick gags and verbal jabs than on genuinely funny scenarios. This is a shame because I have no doubt that pregnancy and parenthood can in fact be quite funny – that is, in the hands of filmmakers who have a deeper understanding of actual people. There is virtually no truth to any of the characters in this movie. They're more like byproducts from a particularly bad sitcom pilot. A select few are so bizarre and shockingly out of place that they seem to have been transported from an alternate universe.

Taking place in mostly in Atlanta, the film takes cues from recent romcoms like "Valentine's Day" and "New Year's Eve" by dividing itself into several interconnecting vignettes. All of them feature couples on the verge of having a baby. There's Jules (Cameron Diaz), a trainer on a weight-loss reality show obviously modeled after "The Biggest Loser," and her boyfriend, Evan (Matthew Morrison), a dancer on a reality show obviously modeled after "Dancing with the Stars." The two met when Jules was the celebrity contestant. Although she's pregnant, her can-do attitude motivates her to continue as a trainer. It also inflates her superiority complex, as she believes only she knows what's best for her baby. The biggest argument she and Evan have is over whether or not their son should be circumcised. Discover for yourself who's for it and who's against it.

There's Wendy (Elizabeth Banks), the owner of a baby boutique who has just published a kids book on breastfeeding, and her husband, Gary (Ben Falcone), who was once a contestant on Jules' weight loss show. Wendy is not feeling the glow of pregnancy; she's constantly in some kind of physical pain, and because her hormones are all out of whack, she has become overly emotional. Gary is constantly in competition with his father, a former racecar driver named Ramsey (Dennis Quaid). As it turns out, Ramsey's new wife, a much younger woman named Skyler (Brooklyn Decker), is pregnant with twins. Even in the advanced stages of her pregnancy, Skyler remains gorgeous and unburdened with physical ailments such as a weak bladder, swollen ankles, and an aching back. It's almost as if she's showing off to Wendy.

There's Holly (Jennifer Lopez), a freelance photographer who specializes in baby portraits, and her husband, Alex (Rodrigo Santoro), a music producer. Unable to conceive, they decide to adopt a baby from Ethiopia. Alex isn't sure he's ready to be a father. Seeking advice, he becomes privy to a secretive band of dads known as The Dudes (Chris Rock, Thomas Lennon, Amir Talai, and Rob Huebel), who walk around pushing strollers and carrying infants in baby slings. Their two rules of conduct are: (1) Whatever The Dudes talk about must stay between them; and (2) there can be no judging each other for "the stuff that just happens" to their kids. In other words, no squealing about obvious signs of parental irresponsibility. For some unknown reason, all four of them idolize a muscle-bound jogger named Davis (Joe Manganiello), who wows them every time he does shirtless pull-ups.

The single weakest subplot features two young food truck owners locked in a turf war. This would be Rosie (Anna Kendrick) and Marco (Chace Crawford). It's a reunion of sorts; they dated in high school, although Marco's reputation as a player repeatedly got in the way. Decency prevents me from giving away too much of this subplot, although I will say that, given the fact that this film is supposed to be about the ups and downs of traditional pregnancy, these characters stick out like a sore thumb. They would have been much better off in a film devoted entirely to their relationship – provided, of course, that it was left in the capable hands of intelligent filmmakers.

All the births happen on the same night and in the same hospital. I can't begrudge the director or screenwriters a little dramatic license. I can, however, blame them for allowing drastic shifts in tone; just when we think it's all about desperately broad birthing gags, we're suddenly broadsided by a near-tragic turn of events. If you're not skilled enough to walk the fine line between comedy and drama in a single scene, it's probably best you just stick to one or the other. The problem with "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is that neither genre is handled particularly well. Any potential bouts of laughter or tears are at the mercy of manufactured scenarios that no couple or parent is likely to find relatable. A good comedy knows how to connect with its audience. A bad one does goofy things with only the hope that someone will laugh. Guess which category this movie falls into?

-- Chris Pandolfi (www.atatheaternearyou.net)
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What to expect when you're expecting:simple and unexpectedly nice
jsharma19 May 2012
Director Kirk Jones (liked his other movie too, Everybody's fine) did a good job again directing a simple and well known concept pertaining to the process of pregnancy and child birth : takes a man and a woman to bring a baby into this world. This movie is mainly about how every woman and man go through the tribulations of this aspect of life's journey differently. Cameron Diaz as Jules , fitness guru ( a la Jillian Michaels of Biggest loser) is in great shape and is happy to be impregnated by Evan (matthew Morrison). Elizabeth banks,Wendy, encourages people to breastfeed babies and goes through a very tough pregnancy and has full support from her husband Gary ( Ben Falcone from Bridesmaids and TV shows: Yes, dear and Curb your enthusiasm). Brooklyn Decker as the young wife of Dennis Quaid( father of Gary) is very naturally young and has a very easy twin pregnancy. Anna Kendrick(Rosie) loses her baby , pregnant after just one night stand with Marco (Chace Crawford). Rosie and Marco are sad after losing baby. Rosie has a very positive attitude and has confidence that because she is young she will definitely have many more chances at pregnancy. On the other hand, Jennifer Lopez as Holly is ready for adopting Ethiopian baby after going through several attempts at making babies in different ways. She feels miserable after losing contract as a photographer and feels like a loser. All the actors did well. I enjoyed watching Elizabeth banks and Brooklyn Decker(Just go with it) the most. I like Kendrick and she does well in any role (Up in the air, 50/50). Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez did well. Among the male actors ,Ben Falcone was convincing as a very supportive husband of Banks. I felt the slap when Banks slapped Falcone demanding pain medications during labor.... Pregnancies are tough. No wonder Mother's day and father's day are special....
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this