IMDb > What to Expect When You're Expecting (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
What to Expect When You're Expecting
Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Completely shallow, generic and boring movie

Author: vasot02
3 June 2012

Contrarily to this adapted verbose title, one shouldn't 'expect' much that is, unless literary desecration is in your hand of cards--if that is the game you're looking to play, then consider this mess a winner.

Inspired by Heidi Murkoff's multimillion-selling-self-help-book for expectant mothers--holding the same name--'What to Expect', the film, will be much less prolific. Obviously a lot more work, and money, towards getting an ensemble cast--as opposed to garnering producers with emphasis on purpose and ingenuity--the filmmakers, here, create a product that is not the least bit unique it's a generic label laden with followed genre-specific clichés, bawdy humor, and disjointed direction.

Despite its few laughs, known cast, and affecting hints towards pregnancy, 'What to Expect' is an over-packed piece of "luggage" that becomes too frustrating to haul around. An immersion too tediously futile and not nearly enough funny. Expect worse...

deserves a higher rating in my opinion

Author: miarae from Netherlands
21 June 2012

Honestly, the reason for seeing this movie was nothing more and nothing less than the desire to go to the cinema with a friend. With some other movies not interesting her, it was between The Lucky Ones and this one, both movies that have a low score on IMDb. I was pleasantly surprised, however, with not just the actors in the movie but also with the dialogue and chemistry on screen, which seemed very natural. I definitely enjoyed watching it and will most likely end up buying it on DVD; not even the fact that Chris Rock was in it bothered me, whereas I usually can't stand him. I have to applaud Jennifer Lopez too, I never thought much of her as an actress, but I found myself sympathizing with her and liking her portrayal of the character. Over all, I find that this movie deserves a higher score than it's currently got on IMDb.

Oh gee, what a waste of money.

Author: Jimmy Collins from United States
18 June 2012

I saw the trailer for What To Expect When You're Expecting and I thought it looked funny, and more than 1 of the cast members happen to be favorites of mine, but pretty much 20 minutes in, I knew I was going to hate this movie. Out of all of the mega cast movies of late, this is indeed the weakest of all of them. This movie is meant to be a comedy, but I didn't laugh once or even come remotely close to laughing, the cast, some if which are rather talented never get a chance to prove themselves as every scene is so ridiculously short, and the script, talk about a cheese overload, and this is written by Shauna Cross, who wrote a terrifically funny script for Whip It, it's a shame none of the heart, wit and humor that was in that could transfer to this film.

The one saving grace this film has is the always wonderful Anna Kendrick, her character is the only one worth mentioning, and one particular scene of hers nearly brought me to tears, she's honestly the only person to stand out in this movie, in fact the storyline between Anna and Chace Crawford would probably make a good film on it's own, without having to compete for screen time with 4 other plot lines, I'm sure Anna's next movie will leave this as a distant memory.

Honestly I just can't even explain how silly this movie is, it's best to just see it and surely you will see for yourself. Just wait for the DVD, giving birth is probably less painful than watching this. Mega thumbs down.

No great expectations from this pregnant pause

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
14 May 2012

It's "New Year's Eve" in the neo-natal unit; "Valentine's Day" with a uterus; "Knocked Up" times five. Unfortunately, that's about the best I can write about this film featuring the ups and downs of having a baby.

In an attempt to jump on the multi-story, large cast bandwagon, director Kirk Jones (the charming "Waking Ted Devine," the horrid "Nanny McPhee") - with the assistance of writers Shauna Cross and Heather Hach ("Freaky Friday") - give us a few sparkling comedic moments, only to ruin it all with depressing dramatic letdowns and cinema's most predictable conclusion.

Then again, some of the heavier scenes are actually more (unintentionally) hilarious than the lighter ones. And while there is nothing unusual about comedies with dramatic overtones, this movie is all over the map, going from pure joy in some sequences to outright horror and heartbreaking grief in the next one.

Like "Hamlet," the movie suffers from an inability to make up its mind.

With a cast featuring Elizabeth Banks ("The 40-Year Old Virgin," "Man On a Ledge"), Cameron Diaz ("Something About Mary," "Killers"), Dennis Quaid ("Cheaper By the Dozen," "The Express"), Jennifer Lopez ("The Back-Up Plan"), Chris Rock ("Death At a Funeral"), Ben Falcone ("Bridesmaids"), Brooklyn Decker ("Just Go With It"), Wendi McLendon-Covey ("Bridesmaids," "Reno: 911" TV series), Rebel Wilson ("Ghost Rider," "Bridesmaids"), Anna Kendrick ("50/50," "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World"), Rob Huebel ("I Love You, Man") and Thomas Lennon ("Hot Tub Time Machine"), among others, one figures the humor quotient would rate high in this endeavor.

One would mostly be wrong, however.

Plot has five Atlanta couples: Evan (Matthew Morrison, "Glee" TV series) and Jules (Diaz); Alex (Rodrigo Santoro, "Post Grad") and Holly (Lopez); Ramsey (Quaid) and Skyler (Decker); Gary (Falcone) and Wendy (Banks); and Marco (Chace Crawford, "Gossip Girls" TV series) and Rosie (Kendrick), all of whom are in various stages of pregnancy and/or child expectations.

Evan and Jules have hooked up while involved on the show, "Celebrity Dance Factor," (she throws up on live television after the final episode), and now constantly bicker about whether or not to circumcise the baby boy-to-be.

Gary, who was on a fat-loss TV show, and children's author Wendy are now expecting after years of trying; but also discover that Gary's neglectful, NASCAR driver father, Ramsey, and his young wife are going to have twins. The sad-sack, wimpy, whining son is one-upped by the old man - again.

Ad man Alex and professional photographer Holly are looking to adopt an Ethiopian newborn; while Marco and Rosie - who work in competitive food trucks - have a one-night stand. Somehow, all of these characters end up connected with each other, no matter how far-fetched these situations become.

And for couples having their first children, there is little chemistry or real love exhibited herewithin. The emotional depth is as shallow as a saucer and just as inconsequential.

Most of the yuks here are from Wendy, who wanted "the glow" of pregnancy, but discovers the aches, pains and uncontrollable bodily functions are paramount (her "mother-in-law," however, seems to have no trouble, at all).

A few more - rather uncomfortable - laughs are solicited from Janice (Wilson), Wendy's idiot assistant (who honestly gets more snickers due to her weight than her jokes, sad to say).

The movie's worst crime, though, is Alex's association with a group of depressing new dads, including Rock, Huebel and Lennon, who meet at a park each day and spout unwanted and unnecessary advice to him about being a father.

Few of these scenes are funny - and a running gag of one of the men's children tripping, falling and being hit in the head with full beer cans - is simply dreadful.

A herky-jerky film which lacks a fluid, coherent story, as well as any semblance of pacing, aborts what could have been a much better movie and will certainly give many viewers sympathy and - most likely - labor pains for its 110-minute running time.

Don't expect much when you're expecting

Author: reggieschneider1 from United States
19 May 2012

Well... don't expect much. The plot is thin, predictable and the movie is simply not funny. My girlfriend roped me in -- so I went. The cast was likable... but everything else about the movie I couldn't bear. That said, this is a sure fire girl film that your lady love... especially if she has baby on her mind. The cast is very easy on the eyes.. especially the gorgeous Brooklyn Decker who is certainly bound to a be a big star. Jennifer Lopez was not very good or funny. My favorite characters in the film were Chris Rock and Anna Kendrick who are always funny and spot on in their roles. Great date film... but GUYS, beware -- you are in for a tedious night.

A brain off comedy that is a little out of convention

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
13 September 2012

This film is about several couples who are expecting babies. They run into various troubles and emotional rollercoasters while preparing themselves for parenthood.

"What to Expect When You're Expecting" is a lighthearted comedy that makes you laugh, just like what is advertised. Of course, the way to parenthood is not just happy and joyful, so the film also realistically portrays the unglamorous side of expecting mothers. Some of these are presented as crude toilet humour, while others are presented as emotional rollercoasters that will touch your heart. I like the fact that characters in "What to Expect When You're Expecting" do not have a smooth breezy path, but face adversity like in real life. It is an interesting comedy for expecting mothers.

Slick, well acted, but in the end a bit empty...

Author: Movie Geek from London, UK
25 May 2012

What to Expect When You're Expecting (2012)

Director: Kirk Jones. Cast: Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, Elizabeth Banks, Chace Crawford, Anna Kendrick, Matthew Morrison, Dennis Quaid, Chris Rock.

Don't ask me what possessed me to go and watch this film. In my defence I can tell you that I had seen everything else at my local multiplex and I had 2 hours to spare. Also the cast seemed impressive enough... and, to top it all up, my wife is pregnant, so I thought at least I would fit its target audience just perfectly.

To be completely honest I was expecting (sorry about the pun) something a lot worse: this is one of those average ensemble comedies where, as always some of the stories and some of the characters are more successful than others but in the end they are so many of them that if you are a parent or preparing to be one, you're bound to find a something to like... Other than that, this is all pure middle-class Hollywood, pretty slick, light-hearted but with enough sweet-and-sour moments to make it feel like it's actually about something. Obviously at the end of the day it's all rather forgettable, and it's actually a great shame, because the acting talent a shown here is impressive (surprisingly even Jennifer Lopez showcases a nuanced performance unlike much we'd seen before) both directing and editing are potentially quite skilled at doing what they do and the few good moments here and there give you a little glimpse of what it could have been.

The main problem is that the film is just not funny enough to be able to be a crowd pleaser and looses itself among the too many subplots, some of which are way off the main subject, to be able to become a classic (the golf cart chase sequence is one of the lowest and unfunny points and the father group sequences, despite Chris Rock, are just too indulgent, over the top and long). However having said all this, I must confess, even though I laughed very little, I found myself moved a couple of times: oh dear, it really must be the hormones (I think they call it sympathetic pregnancy).

6/10 wp.me/p19wJ2-yv

An Insult to Mothers and Especially Fathers

Author: danew13 from United States
8 September 2012

Take films such as New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day, but remove any continuity and romance, replacing it with an attempt at suburban farce in a scene of mass parenthood and that describes What to Expect...the only thing is I wasn't expecting such bad big budget, big cast film. Yet, I should have known after seeing a turkey like New Year's Eve.

The worst part of this film was something that liberal Hollywood loves, from TV adverts to movies, the denigration of the American man.

Talk about role reversal...according to this mess. all women do is have kids...its the men that raise them, in tight knit groups...virtually every guy in this group is totally henpecked and submissive to their wives.

The only decent romantic story line was that of a young woman who has a miscarriage and misses out of the man she has longed to love...yet, her story is relegated to mere brief sound-bites as the film jumps around from couple to couple and always winding up back with the inadequate group of chaotic husbands....a waste of time.

What to Expect When You're Expecting (2012) - Not Expecting to Expect Anything Good in This!

Author: nickmesafilms (nickmesafilms@yahoo.com) from United States
1 September 2012

You know what I expect? I expect better movies! "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is once again another ensemble rom-com that's basically just a bunch of short stories glued together in a full-length motion picture. You know, with a cast like this, this movie would have been better off with a title like "What to Expect When You're 'Selling Out'". I wouldn't say that this movie was "god-awful", I suppose that maybe a married couple might enjoy something here, but this is still an unoriginal, predictable, and unmemorable piece of "nothing". Director Kirk Jones has provided to give us a giant predictable "sell-out" that does nothing but go with the usual clichés. In movies like this, we usually get a bunch of individual stories packed in one movie, some that we care about, and some that we don't care about. Each story talks about a group of couples who are about to either have a baby, adopt a baby, or deciding whether to have the baby or not. We've seen these stories plenty of times before, so there's already a clue for the audience to know what will happen next. There are some chuckle-inducing moments, and I cared for a few story lines, but it's just a shame because there are so many likable actors in this movie, so this might be considered as a waste of talent. Cameron Diaz plays a weight loss contestant on a reality show who's expecting a newborn with Matthew Morrison, Jennifer Lopez takes the "Angelina Jolie" perspective to adopt an African baby, Elizabeth Banks plays a pregnant woman with tons of anxiety problems on the torture of pregnancy, and what do you know, Chris Rock is actually the leader of a group of "baby daddies". These story lines are probably careless, and mostly not funny, if you ask me! The only two story lines I actually enjoyed involves Anna Kendrick as a young woman who is expecting a baby after a certain one-night stand, and Dennis Quaid as a NASCAR legend who's expecting a new baby with his much younger, and ridiculously hot wife, played by Brooklyn Decker. I actually need to score this movie some points for that! But either way, I wasn't surprised! This movie is exactly what everyone thought it was going to be, so I guess I can say I'm not really that upset with this movie. But "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is not worth watching in any way, but if you're the type of person who enjoys these type of movies, my advice to you...wait for rental! I didn't expect that remark to pop out of my mouth. "What to Expect When You're Expecting", in my review, "predictable and mediocre, but overall unimpressive".

What to expect when you're expecting:simple and unexpectedly nice

Author: jsharma from new york
19 May 2012

Director Kirk Jones (liked his other movie too, Everybody's fine) did a good job again directing a simple and well known concept pertaining to the process of pregnancy and child birth : takes a man and a woman to bring a baby into this world. This movie is mainly about how every woman and man go through the tribulations of this aspect of life's journey differently. Cameron Diaz as Jules , fitness guru ( a la Jillian Michaels of Biggest loser) is in great shape and is happy to be impregnated by Evan (matthew Morrison). Elizabeth banks,Wendy, encourages people to breastfeed babies and goes through a very tough pregnancy and has full support from her husband Gary ( Ben Falcone from Bridesmaids and TV shows: Yes, dear and Curb your enthusiasm). Brooklyn Decker as the young wife of Dennis Quaid( father of Gary) is very naturally young and has a very easy twin pregnancy. Anna Kendrick(Rosie) loses her baby , pregnant after just one night stand with Marco (Chace Crawford). Rosie and Marco are sad after losing baby. Rosie has a very positive attitude and has confidence that because she is young she will definitely have many more chances at pregnancy. On the other hand, Jennifer Lopez as Holly is ready for adopting Ethiopian baby after going through several attempts at making babies in different ways. She feels miserable after losing contract as a photographer and feels like a loser. All the actors did well. I enjoyed watching Elizabeth banks and Brooklyn Decker(Just go with it) the most. I like Kendrick and she does well in any role (Up in the air, 50/50). Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez did well. Among the male actors ,Ben Falcone was convincing as a very supportive husband of Banks. I felt the slap when Banks slapped Falcone demanding pain medications during labor.... Pregnancies are tough. No wonder Mother's day and father's day are special....

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]