IMDb > "Mr. Sunshine" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mr. Sunshine"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Mr. Sunshine" More at IMDbPro »

Smart, funny show

Author: Linda K. Clifford from Milton, WV
10 February 2011

If the rest of the episodes live up to pilot, Mr Sunshine will be a big hit. It is a smart comedy with dialogue reminiscent of some of the episodes of "West Wing". Allison Janney & Matthew Perry play off each other well and though Matthew Perry's character seems a little like, "Chandler - the Later Years", it's still very funny.

As with most ensemble comedies, it will take a little time to learn the characters and their individual personalities. I think this show has the potential to be a big hit and it is in an appropriate spot in the line-up at the present time, following 3 other hit comedies. Let's hope the network doesn't move it around to other time spots, as sometimes happens, before it has time to create its audience.

Oh joy!

Author: joselourens from Netherlands
25 February 2011

He's back! After the failing of Studio 60 a while back, it's good to have another show of Matthew Perry on TV. The show, though, is clearly not the same as Studio 60. Mr. Sunshine is a lot less serious, but has true potential to be something good. It was almost disappointing to find out the episode lasted only 20-something minutes, because up until now each episode left me wanting more. It was already a done deal when the intro (short, dry, funny) already made me laugh. Fingers crossed they will keep shooting and airing Mr. Sunshine, because it'll definitely brighten your day. Let's hope for more crazy events, dry humor and extravagant characters alternated with a hint of romance and yes, some heartwarming, touching scenes. So far, so good!

Comedy as it's meant to be!

Author: rvand-977-534034 from Auckland, New Zealand
17 March 2011

Mr. Sunshine is more than an exercise in comedy, it's well written and very well executed with a great cast. The comedy may not be 20 minutes all-out laughing but it's impossible not to have a smile on your face for the entire show! Matthew Perry is outstanding as the misanthropic manager who is not half as bad as he'd like to think or likes others to belief. It's unfair to compare his character to Chandler but his Matt Albie on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is a fair facsimile. It is very good to see Allison Janney back in a meaty role which allows her to flex her considerable acting muscle. Her interaction with Matt seems natural and absolutely in keeping with the spirit of her character. She is an acting tour de force and, as always, a joy to behold. One can only hope she will do the "the Jackall" again in some future episode. In all this is a solid comedy with much to enjoy and hopefully for a long time.

Matthew Perry has built a perfect vehicle for himself...

Author: fortress111 from United States
20 February 2011

Now all he has to do is find a talented director. The character of "Mr Sunshine" is a tractor beam to all of the nervous nerdy types who look for direction in how to handle social situations in life... from their television. I am one of these people. Obviously, Matthew is putting himself out there... and coming on as a somewhat more animated Bob Newhart character... and it works.

Chandler Bing lives, indeed, in the character of Ben Donovan. This would be him some years later... after the young adult stage of marrying Monica, etc. He is the caring, passionate general manager of a sports stadium in San Diego. Fortunately for us, the audience... none of his staff or the owner gives a damn about their job! He is the one sane man in the character list of the show whose last nerve is being stepped on minute by minute by the crazies who surround him in his life.

Those who feel paranoid about life being out to get them will feel at home and identify with this man surrounded by demonized nutsoes who live to make his life hell! (Fortunately for us, again!) ...As Larry David responded to Jason Alexander of Seinfeld upon questioning the believability of the show scripts for Seinfeld, "Yes, this all can happen. I know...these scripts are based on true events from my life...I lived it!" Perry must be ADHD, as I am. The funny lines come so quickly you will really need to set your VCR to play this back again to see things that you missed.

My one criticism and caveat with the whole show is the direction. The verbal deliveries and timing of some of the lines is sometimes sloppy. Funny can be lost in sloppy editing and direction. A second or two too long in a shot after a line can destroy a good joke. Too quick of a response to a question by a character can destroy the credibility. Too low of a volume level on a punchline by one of the main characters can make a joke non-existent.

The writing is funny, and flawless. Kudos to Mr Perry and company. Translation to proper acting and character direction is crucial in getting "funny" across to the audience. The direction appears amateurish. I noticed on several occasions (with two episodes broadcast so far) that camera shots are too tight. In older classic sitcoms you will notice most of the time a tight shot does not serve comedy well. Tight face shots work well in drama and soap operas, not comedy. Witness the original sitcom of Perry, "Friends." It is much funnier to see the whole room of characters in a scene all respond to funny lines than it is to just see a tight shot of the character speaking. (Pull the cameras back a little.)

Comedy is a group thing because the moment we are laughing is usually because the character is in a situation where he is not laughing. There is tension and stress on the character... but we are convulsing wildly on the floor gasping for air. Would love to see a James Burrows or a James Widdoes directing this sitcom. The writing and brilliant creation of Matthew Perry here certainly deserves it.

Matthew Perry is Mr Sunshine

Author: A56T from United Kingdom
6 March 2011

Matthew Perry writes, executive produces and stars in this fab new comedy from ABC in which the manager of a sports centre has a mid life crisis.

Perry still has enough of the traits of Chandler Bing to entertain old fans and has smartly surrounded himself with a good supporting cast. Although at times this show did feel all on his head with the other characters never really stepping up to the plate.

Allison Janney of West Wing fame is on top form as Crystal and former Joey cast member Andrea Anders adds suitable bite to her role as Perry's love interest while former Studio 60 man Nate Torrence is a scream as Roman.

It is a shame that this show never got renewed from a second series but with dipping rating figures and the critics on it's back the sunshine soon dimmed.

Oh, Joy -- Couldn't be more appropriate.

Author: Dan Kempner from Canada
12 February 2011

This show truly is joy.

With moments that pay tribute to Matthew Perry's best known character, Chandler, and the talents of Allison Janney, Andrea Anders and James Lesure, this show couldn't have a better start. The inclusion of Jorge Garcia only benefited the series premiere, with his clear comedic background that was showcased during his six-year role as Hurley on "Lost."

What "Mr. Sunshine" offers isn't a new, breath-stopping idea -- a lonely company man who decides to change his life. Movies were made based on this concept, but "Mr. Sunshine" offers to retell the story with a bunch of bizarre and colourful characters, that no matter how much medication they take, or how fast they cut themselves in the kitchen -- we cannot ignore our growing love towards them.

With 25-30 minutes that make up an episode, the pilot left me wanting more. Whether it was the sexual tension between Ben and Alice, or the hilarious insanity of Crystal Cohen (I can already predict an Emmy nomination for Allison Janney), "Mr. Sunshine" offers a refreshing new side to televised comedy: one that goes hand-in-hand with "Modern Family," and could very well be the start of a new, legendary comedy line-up.

When Ben uttered the words "Thank you" to one of his many employees for the first time, I felt like thanking the show creators as well. Sure, it was only the first taste of the show, but I could already feel that we're in for an hysterical journey,

When I watched this show I found myself thoroughly entertained

Author: Michael Hurley from United States
26 March 2011

The Middle, Modern Family, and wipeout are the only shows I like on ABC. Now, there's another successful show, Mr. Sunshine. Matthew Perry's return to television doesn't disappoint. Whether hes comforting his boss or questioning his employees, he truly is a joy to have on TV. The show is about a stadium called the Sunshine Center and Ben, Mathew Perry, trying to run it. The events that hes trying to manage always deliver a few laughs and there are heartwarming moments with the romance between innocent (not kidding) teenagers Roman and his girlfriend. The only complaint I might have for this show is that it doesn't have that moment every episode where Im rolling on the floor laughing. But it delivers many chuckles and nice moments that are sure to be enjoyed.

Decent, But Not Spectacular

Author: MeOnline from United States
24 February 2011

Like many other reviewers, I started watching this on to see Mathew Perry return to television. He's always been fun to watch and Mr. Sunshine is no exception.

Unfortunately, the show hasn't hit its stride yet. Four of the cast members are fun to watch and offer some decent laughs: Perry, Andrea Anders, James Lesure and Allison Janney. The two additional cast members however are one note jokes that wear flat almost immediately.

Nate Torrence's "I'm an idiot" shtick gets boring really quickly and elicits no laughter. Portia Doubleday has potential, but the show works the crazy angle so hard that it retreats into sitcom cliché instead of real character.

I'll still be watching the show in hopes it improves, but its going to need some work to stick around.

Good but have to mellow it down a little bit

Author: tejafrenz from Anantapur
11 February 2011

I watched this show only because of Matthew perry. He is really talented. and spontaneous. we can see a bit of chandler in his new character Ben. May be its because Matthew is a bit like chandler, so he cant get it out.

The pilot is good, but its like I have seen an entire season in just one episode. The characters, the story goes so fast, its like they are making an half-hour movie. So many things had happened in just one episode. Ben gets dumped, Roman meets his mother after a long time, Ben realizes that he is insecure and needs a commitment,... oh my god, its like going in a train, the trees disappear very fast and the journey is coming to an end. Mathew has to slow the story, so that people will get time to know the characters, connect with them and gradually enjoy the show.

Overall, its really nice to see Perry back and the show has a lot of potential. May be as the time grows, perry will grow in confidence and rock the show, like he did in Friends. ATB

Easily my favourite new show of 2010-2011

Author: brock22 from Canada
8 August 2011

This was my favourite show from this past T.V. season and I really hope it gets picked up for next year. It's a sharp, well-written sitcom with great comedic performances by virtually the entire main cast. The premise revolves around Ben (Matthew Perry), who is the manager of a major sports arena in San Diego, and his off-beat staff members and wacky boss (Allison Janney).

Janney really sinks her teeth into this quasi-insane character, who, despite being the owner of the arena, delegates most of the work and responsibility to Ben. I really enjoyed the season-long arc involving her awkward and contrived attempts to be a better mom to her 20-something son and new employee, Roman (Nate Torrence), who seems to have been neglected by her and is just looking for a healthy mother-son relationship. Actually, I liked any scene or plot line which involved Roman. Torrence is hilarious and charming pretty much every time he appears on screen and gets a laughs from me simply through his delivery. I've read some people saying they find him obnoxious and don't like him, but I just can't understand why that is, because to me, he's my favourite character.

Even though the performances are great, I think the real star of this series is the writing. I just watched the 'Celebrity Tennis' episode on NETFLIX and I was laughing consistently throughout. You can't find a lot of new shows with scripts this smart and so densely packed with humour. However, I have a sense that it may not have mainstream appeal, since there didn't seem to be a lot of buzz and fanfare for it.

I really hope people discover it on NETFLIX (The first 8 episodes are currently available) and a fan-base starts to develop that is large enough to keep it going indefinitely on ABC. I also think ABC should have been airing more reruns of the first season this summer to give it a chance to catch on, and I really hope this does not indicate that they are giving up on it.

I encourage you to watch it if you can (start with the first episode just to get a sense of all the main plot lines and relationships) and decide for yourself if you think it's as good as I do. Note, however, that this is one of those sitcoms without a laugh-track, which is an important feature of this show since I just can't imagine it working as well with one.

Season Rating: 3.5 stars out of 4