Hot in Cleveland (TV Series 2010–2015) Poster

(2010–2015)

39 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
A Golden Girls for baby boomers, with one golden girl still around
blanche-27 July 2010
Wendy Malick, Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves and Betty White are "Hot in Cleveland" in this new TV Land series produced by "Will and Grace" star Sean Hayes.

It's a slim premise - a soap star (Malick) whose show has been canceled, a new divorcée (Bertinelli), and a makeup artist (Leeves) set off for Paris from Los Angeles only to be grounded in Cleveland. With bleak prospects waiting for them back home, and noting the attentive looks they get from men in a local bar, they decide to stay a while. The Bertinelli character rents a house, where the caretaker is Elke (Betty White).

So far, this is a very funny show, with marvelous performances. With Malick and Frasier's Daphne starring, that's to be expected. White is amazing - 88 and still going strong and still a master of timing. The weak sister for me is Bertinelli, whose comedy seems forced.

As a baby boomer myself, I like seeing shows relating to my age group featuring older actresses, who, like the Malick character, really do find the going rough in Hollywood, particularly if they're too attractive for character roles. And it is true, particularly in a youth-oriented town like L.A., older women are pretty much invisible to men their own age. It's probably true anywhere, but particularly there.

I'm really enjoying it, and I hope it's picked up for more episodes.
49 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Golden Girls: Next Generation!
Syl23 June 2010
Wendie Malick (Just Shoot Me), Jane Leeves (Frasier), and Valerie Bertinelli (One Day at a Time) are all sitcom veterans who play best friends who decide to take a trip to Paris but are sidetracked in Cleveland, Ohio. There, they rediscover themselves as their hometown of Los Angeles has appeared to have forgotten them. Malick's role as a soap opera actress was cut short by it's cancellation after 27 years. Leeves is the eyebrow plucker to Oprah until she goes elsewhere. Valerie's character has written a book about 200 things to do before they die. Once in Cleveland, they are rediscovered by actual middle American men who try to pick them up at a bar. Valerie's character Melanie declares that she's moving to Cleveland and renting a Victorian house. After all, her kids are grown and her ex-husband has moved on. Even the men in Cleveland appear to appreciate the older woman, that was their reason for going to Paris to be appreciated more instead of discarded. I wished the show would have more than 8 episodes but it's nice to have anything. Betty White steals the scene from all of them as the caretaker, Elka. At 88 years old, Betty White is at her best and funniest. Okay, I'm sure people in Cleveland have a sense of humor and will enjoy the show. Just enjoy the show! We have such few sitcoms on the air! the more the merrier and the laughs galore!
51 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic and Realistic
cinemaniac200214 July 2010
When I heard about this show, I figured it would be "cute." What I was not prepared for was how spot-on it really is. I've lived in the L.A. area off and on for over 20 years, and all the L.A. references are painfully HONEST.

Wendie Malick, Jane Leeves, Valerie Bertinelli and Betty White are hysterical!

The story lines are very realistic ...L.A. is really a very SADLY over-rated place to live, for many reasons. The sunshine is nice, but even that gets boring after a while. Between the high price of living, the traffic and the shallow people, it's really an awful place to live for any "average" person. Ironically, this show comes at a time in my life when I have decided to relocate to my home town of Chicago.

I routinely experience just about all of the ones depicted on this show whenever I go back to Chicago. While it is true that there are shallow people everywhere in the world, L.A. seems to be the U.S. capital of "the beautiful people." Living here is very exclusionary; everything is about money, status, power and looks. If you have those things, you'll be included; if not, you are SOL, no matter how good or nice a person you are.

It is true that in Chicago - and other Midwestern cities, most of the real men are not salaciously panting after women 1/2 their age. It is true that in other places, mature women are appreciated more than merely discarded after the age of 30.

My only regret about this show is that it is not on a major network ... it would get more exposure that way! So glad that it got picked up for more episodes.

If you're a fan, let's all get the word out and keep this show on the air!
50 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Couldn't stop laughing...
nikoog1 July 2010
I came across it by accident and oh my god am I glad I did... I haven't laughed so much in a long time, perhaps it is because the story line is so lame.... but I love all 4 of them and they just crack me up...who cares the lines are not original..they are still funny...it is not suppose to be a classic, it is entertainment and god was I entertained :-) recommended it to all my girl friends...:-) I love Jane in Fraser and I am glad she is not depicting the same character...the eyebrow queen...it is hilarious how she is obsessed with it...and Betty White is so herself...and Wendy is glam as always, the role really suits her, Melany is a bit naive for giving up Paris for Cleveland and trade off french men for the younger plumbers in the town, but hey who hasn't done a crazy thing or two in their life...good on her.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
LOVE it!!
ghosthostanth16 June 2010
This is a great show! The three main cast members work perfectly together, and of course Betty White in the show is the VERY sweet icing on this cake. Too bad we only get 8 episodes this season, but that's better than none!

The three best friends land in Cleveland, expecting it to be a boring, uncultured town, and to their delight it's a fun and incredible place with men who find them very attractive, and the feeling is mutual.

They decide to stay, but then they find out that a caretaker named Elka (White) comes with the house. Elka is a perfect foil for the trio.

And all of the women in this new "Fab Four" looking amazing!
36 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
These girls got it going on
kevcom17 July 2010
With all the reality TV shows that are nothing more than people cursing and generally being cruel to each other, this show is a welcome breath of fresh air. There's nothing necessarily all that unique about the format, and of course it has the standard sitcom canned laughter, but the 4 actresses really are funny in their respective rolls and have great chemistry together. Maybe some of the jokes aren't even all that original, however few sitcoms in history actually made me laugh out loud, yet this one does. And good lord, could Valerie Bertinelli be any prettier at 50?! I'm glad to hear this show will be back next year. We need to be able to turn on the TV and watch a new show without being assaulted by nonstop reality garbage.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Long Live Laughter!!!!
jillmuscat9 August 2010
I really hope this show is renewed! Funny, silly, likable comedy served up by four of the best comic actresses ever! Malick, Bertinelli and Leeves are show biz types from LA who accidentally land in Cleveland en route to Paris, and decide to stay in a house where White is the caretaker. The three middle-aged gals were ignored in L.A., but get a lot more attention from men in Cleveland -- and that's much of the premise of the show.

I love the characters; Malick is an egotistical former soap opera actress, Bertinelli a ditsy romantic self-help author, Leeves a hard-drinking yet clear-eyed British beautician and White an astonishingly tart-tongued senior with the best love life of all the ladies.

I've tried to like more modern sitcoms like 30 ROCK and PARKS AND RECREATION, but have found them so mean-spirited, strange, and depressingly devoid of laughter. HOT IN CLEVELAND is sometimes predictable, but the actresses put it over anyway with impeccable comic timing. The characters bicker constantly, but are good friends who love and support one another, which makes it a pleasure to watch.

Comparison with GOLDEN GIRLS are inevitable, but this is more fun because the 3 main characters are much younger and don't have to think about the problems of old age.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Instant Classic
bxwxr14-767-19506516 June 2010
I watched the pilot in the audience. This was one of the funnier shows along my lifetime. I've been so a few pilots about 4. This one i believe will have much success. Perfect cast. Friends decide to get out of LA and fly to Paris. Oddly, the plane has to make an emergency landing. IN CLEVELAND! A random city that many people think is a run down city that used to be fun but turned to a scooby doo ghost town. It shows that this show supports what Cleveland still has to offer to the public. I think using it through comedy shows is perfect. The last show based in Cleveland was the drew Carey show which was a success. But not an instant classic. I think this show has a good future ahead of it. Oh and did I mention? Betty white stars in this show!!!!!!!!!!!
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderfully Nostalgic
GreyDiva8 August 2010
This show is written and produced and STARS all my old favorites. As a woman of "a certain age" I can tell you...I am tired of shows I am embarrassed to watch with my 15 year old or with my mother.

This show reminds me of when T.V. was funny, actors were talented, and t.v. didn't have to be a guilty pleasure. I want EVERYONE to know that I am a Hot in Cleveland fan. And how great is it to see Betty White, yet once again? I hope this show has a great run! One of the posters said she hated that it wasn't on a bigger network, so that it could attract more viewers. I don't. A bigger network would cancel this show in a heartbeat - there are no loud, drunk fistfights, no whorish sluts cursing each other out, no vampires, half dressed girls, no misogynistic men,or gratuitous sex.

For those who don't have the cable network, the way to see this show is to join Netflicks, MegaVideo, or I-tunes. The price is worth it to keep this show coming.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Old School Fun
JessDewitt23 July 2010
Yes, the writing's mediocre, and the laugh track is really annoying - However, there are four actresses here that are fun to watch, and I'd rather watch this than some lame reality show.

When I wake up in the middle of the night and want to watch something I've recorded, I would choose a new "Hot in Cleveland" episode over an episode of something that I've seen three times before. Sure the situations are not realistic, but it's fun to watch Valerie, Wendy, Jane and Betty work at turning those silly scripts into something funny.

P.S. Love the look on Huey Lewis's face as he asks "Victoria":

"Is it magically delicious?"
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this