IMDb > Larry Crowne (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Larry Crowne

Larry Crowne More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 19: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Out of touch with reality.

Author: Recidi
22 May 2012

I understand what Tom Hanks was trying to do here; make a film which represents what we're facing every day. A big company that downsizes it's people and we're out of job in this economy. And this film could have really connected with a lot of us.

But, I also feel that Tom Hanks could have done an even better job connecting with those of us who have lost our jobs and have had to return to college at a later age.

The biggest disappointing aspect of this film is how angry Julia Roberts' role was. She hated teaching and hated her class, all because it was "too early in the morning". No instructor at a college would have verbally abused her students the way she did in this film.

And that's just for starters.

I think this film had a great idea in mind and had the potential to take it much higher, but Tom Hanks completely missed in capturing it. In a way, it sadly shows how out of touch with reality he really is.

Good to see once

Author: esteban1747 from Spain
17 May 2012

The unemployment is a serious actual problem all over the developed industrialised world, there are millions of young people unemployed and I thought that this film, although a comedy, will treat the problem somehow. I was wrong as usual, the material touched slightly the problem not of a young guy but of an old worker, well recognized where he used to work. Once fired the challenge for him was to study for getting some knowledge, which, to be frankly, one never knows if it will be useful for his future life and career. In this way the film goes smoothly with some funny scenes, and giving the chance of Julia Roberts of doing something as a teacher, very susceptible to be impressed with not very impressive Tom Hanks. At the end it finishes as a good fairy's story.

Blandly inoffensive

Author: tex-42
29 April 2012

Larry Crowne is mostly a waste of good actors. Tom Hanks plays the titular title character who is fired at the beginning of the movie by his company for not having growth potential, as he has no college degree. Why Larry would not have been told this prior to his firing, as he is portrayed as a model employee, is never said. After Larry is fired he enrolls at community college where he meets a young pixie type who invites him to join a scooter gang. She also proceeds to make over Larry and improve his life.

However, despite this girl positively affecting Larry, Larry's love interest turns out to be his speech teacher, played by Julia Roberts. Robert's character is fairly awful. She's a horrible teacher and generally unpleasant to be around. She's also involved in a bad marriage and appears to drink too much.

The movie proceeds exactly how you would expect it to proceed. The road bumps are fairly minor, the characters don't really seem to learn much and in the end, Larry does find a new love in his teacher.

Overall, this isn't a bad movie, but it isn't a good movie. It's just kind of there. The characters don't seem particularly real, and the story is slightly ridiculous. There really isn't anyone to root for or against. Nothing unexpected happens, and while that is fine, it doesn't make for the most exciting movie.

Saved from awful-dom by the ever amazing Tom Hanks

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
28 April 2012

Larry Crowne wasn't a financial disaster per se but it certainly didn't take off the way they likely expected it to with two enormous stars and the directive control of Tom Hanks himself. When I finally got around to seeing the movie I could completely understand the feelings of mediocrity that people had with this movie. Another IMDb reviewer summed it up by saying the film was so happy in its mediocrity and that is so true. Julia Roberts gives one of her worst performances in my memory as the completely unlikable and downright mean Mercedes Tainot. Its no wonder fans couldn't rush out to see a romance between the sweetest guy on the planet and a complete and utter jerk who is played by someone we are used to seeing as a sweetheart. Tom Hanks truly saved this movie by playing the completely docile and adorable Larry Crowne. He literally borders on being child like he is so sweet in this movie but he pulls it off and you can enjoy him in every scene that he easily steals. Roberts and Hanks have chemistry but her character is just awful. The supporting cast is decent though no one truly stands out and the sub-characters lack any real characteristics worth mentioning. Overall...very slow pace, an odd romance, and an unlikable character from America's Sweetheart means this isn't for everyone. It is just simply...okay. 6.5/10

not what i expected

Author: dslav1927 from United States
31 March 2012

i watched this movie with my dad the other night, and we were both extremely disappointed. there really is no plot to this movie, as it contains a bunch of random scenes that are just thrown together. its not a comedy (we didn't laugh once), its not really a love story because they never fall in love, and its not really a drama because its not dramatic. i thot a tom hanks/julia robers movie would of been good, but this movie was horrible...one of the worst i have seen in a long time. its actually more of a story about a guy who lost his job, and is trying to sift his way through life, than it is anything else. the only problem is that nothing really happens in the movie. i don't know what all the other people who gave it good reviews watched,but they didn't watch larry crowne because it was NOT a good movie.

What a pleasant movie.....

Author: khawir from Pakistan
24 March 2012

Larry Crowne is the perfect example of a movie that will make you feel good after a tiresome week at work... No brain twisters, no cheap/vulgar humor, no extravagant display of emotions, and no messages to make the world a better place and such... Just subtle brilliance...

The acting by all was superb especially Julia Roberts who didn't have many lines to say but her expressions and gestures just make you fall in love with her... Aspiring actresses; that's the way its done....

Yes the storyline is too simple but you cant hold that against a movie of this genre... The term 'beauty lies in simplicity' is coined for such movies, that give your mind a quality and relaxing massage... Well done and thank you Tom Hanks for such a feel-good film...

Tom Hanks keeps a genial tone in his movie Larry Crowne though I wasn't too convinced about his pairing with Julia Roberts

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
1 March 2012

Just finished watching this Tom Hanks-Julia Roberts movie on a Netflix disc with my mom. Hanks wrote this with Nia Vardalos and also directed himself as the title character who finds himself fired from his store because of his lack of a college education. So he decides to go to community college where he meets Ms. Roberts as one of his teachers. I'll stop there and just say that this was slightly entertaining though the only time I remember laughing was when the Hanks character was doing a speech on French toast and saying he's doing it in English. I also really wondered how can one believe in the romance between these two when one is the student and one is the teacher? Never mind that Ms. Roberts has a husband (Bryan Cranston) who likes looking at big-chested women online that she knows about despite his attempts to hide it. I think I was more convinced that Larry and the much-younger Talia (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) had more of a chance especially the way she kept communicating with him. Still, I wasn't bored and the film does keep a consistent genial tone throughout. So on that note, Larry Crowne is at the least worth a look.

A film worth crowning

Author: Jin Maruhashi
25 February 2012

Simplistically delightful and humorous at every turn, "Larry Crowne" smoothly drives across the highs and lows of life while stopping to examine the significance in correctly reacting to the signals that we encounter along our way. A red light at any path will not forever inhibit our entry into that direction just as a green light will not forever guarantee us a safe and sure passage into the next phase of our journey. What matters the most, as is learnt from the film, is having a working sense of direction, stability and traveling alongside the one who fuels our desire to keep going. The sliver of life that we are invited to vicariously enjoy is realistically devoid of absurd, rags to riches transitions but is astoundingly great in showing the most gratifying moments in life. Also worth noting is the sensationally entertaining performance delivered by nearly all cast members, especially by Dr. Ed Matsutani (George Takei) and Dell Gordo (Wilmer Valderrama). The well-matched love affair between Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks) and Mercedes Tainot (Julia Roberts) along with some hilarious instances and underlying lessons together crowne the simplicities of life as golden memorabilia of sheer grandioseness.

A nice comedy worth seeing it

Author: jomarios-1 (jomarios@gmail.com) from Venezuela
20 January 2012

This comedy is a surprising movie whose main attraction are the two main characters of the story. Both are well depicted especially the Julia's personage. Julia has never disappointed me through any of her roles in the dozens of films she has appeared in. The film is just highly enjoyable because its subtle story presented through a beautiful photography and sustained by an enjoyable music and sound editing. It's not only a nice comedy but also a fluid modern story which reflects not only several aspects of a rotten home but also the discovery of a spontaneous and promising new relationship. We can say we have known people and homes with this kind of situations, and that sometimes they reflect before our eyes how life is sometimes so complex or, on the contrary, so easy to accept and enjoy in spite of the difficulties we find in our unending pursuit of happiness.

A Sweet End to 2011 and New Love in 2012

Author: leenarete from Kenya
30 December 2011

Larry Crowne is Tom Hanks's directorial debut and he fares real well. Starting from a hardworking fellow who is told to leave because he lacks a college degree or certificate despite serving in the Navy for 20 years, Larry Crowne needs a new perspective in life. How many of you have been there? Felt that life was just unfair and that all your hard work was a waste? Well, Larry eventually comes around and funny enough his haggling neighbor recommends that Larry join College. Here starts the change in Larry's life just like for you at some point when all is dark and over but there is one more chance. He coincidentally falls into a class with the Professor Tainot, played by a mature and intellectual Julia Roberts. His interaction with other students, working with the short money and tight situations bring him out as a winner because he remained a hard worker. One bad turn in life can give you one good result, watch Larry Crowne to end your 2011 and you will notice how the ordinary people can do small extraordinary things, because we are each special. Simple work, simple story, simple message, well done Mr Hanks.