IMDb > Larry Crowne (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Larry Crowne

Larry Crowne More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 18: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Saved from awful-dom by the ever amazing Tom Hanks

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
28 April 2012

Larry Crowne wasn't a financial disaster per se but it certainly didn't take off the way they likely expected it to with two enormous stars and the directive control of Tom Hanks himself. When I finally got around to seeing the movie I could completely understand the feelings of mediocrity that people had with this movie. Another IMDb reviewer summed it up by saying the film was so happy in its mediocrity and that is so true. Julia Roberts gives one of her worst performances in my memory as the completely unlikable and downright mean Mercedes Tainot. Its no wonder fans couldn't rush out to see a romance between the sweetest guy on the planet and a complete and utter jerk who is played by someone we are used to seeing as a sweetheart. Tom Hanks truly saved this movie by playing the completely docile and adorable Larry Crowne. He literally borders on being child like he is so sweet in this movie but he pulls it off and you can enjoy him in every scene that he easily steals. Roberts and Hanks have chemistry but her character is just awful. The supporting cast is decent though no one truly stands out and the sub-characters lack any real characteristics worth mentioning. Overall...very slow pace, an odd romance, and an unlikable character from America's Sweetheart means this isn't for everyone. It is just simply...okay. 6.5/10

not what i expected

Author: dslav1927 from United States
31 March 2012

i watched this movie with my dad the other night, and we were both extremely disappointed. there really is no plot to this movie, as it contains a bunch of random scenes that are just thrown together. its not a comedy (we didn't laugh once), its not really a love story because they never fall in love, and its not really a drama because its not dramatic. i thot a tom hanks/julia robers movie would of been good, but this movie was horrible...one of the worst i have seen in a long time. its actually more of a story about a guy who lost his job, and is trying to sift his way through life, than it is anything else. the only problem is that nothing really happens in the movie. i don't know what all the other people who gave it good reviews watched,but they didn't watch larry crowne because it was NOT a good movie.

What a pleasant movie.....

Author: khawir from Pakistan
24 March 2012

Larry Crowne is the perfect example of a movie that will make you feel good after a tiresome week at work... No brain twisters, no cheap/vulgar humor, no extravagant display of emotions, and no messages to make the world a better place and such... Just subtle brilliance...

The acting by all was superb especially Julia Roberts who didn't have many lines to say but her expressions and gestures just make you fall in love with her... Aspiring actresses; that's the way its done....

Yes the storyline is too simple but you cant hold that against a movie of this genre... The term 'beauty lies in simplicity' is coined for such movies, that give your mind a quality and relaxing massage... Well done and thank you Tom Hanks for such a feel-good film...

Tom Hanks keeps a genial tone in his movie Larry Crowne though I wasn't too convinced about his pairing with Julia Roberts

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
1 March 2012

Just finished watching this Tom Hanks-Julia Roberts movie on a Netflix disc with my mom. Hanks wrote this with Nia Vardalos and also directed himself as the title character who finds himself fired from his store because of his lack of a college education. So he decides to go to community college where he meets Ms. Roberts as one of his teachers. I'll stop there and just say that this was slightly entertaining though the only time I remember laughing was when the Hanks character was doing a speech on French toast and saying he's doing it in English. I also really wondered how can one believe in the romance between these two when one is the student and one is the teacher? Never mind that Ms. Roberts has a husband (Bryan Cranston) who likes looking at big-chested women online that she knows about despite his attempts to hide it. I think I was more convinced that Larry and the much-younger Talia (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) had more of a chance especially the way she kept communicating with him. Still, I wasn't bored and the film does keep a consistent genial tone throughout. So on that note, Larry Crowne is at the least worth a look.

A film worth crowning

Author: Jin Maruhashi
25 February 2012

Simplistically delightful and humorous at every turn, "Larry Crowne" smoothly drives across the highs and lows of life while stopping to examine the significance in correctly reacting to the signals that we encounter along our way. A red light at any path will not forever inhibit our entry into that direction just as a green light will not forever guarantee us a safe and sure passage into the next phase of our journey. What matters the most, as is learnt from the film, is having a working sense of direction, stability and traveling alongside the one who fuels our desire to keep going. The sliver of life that we are invited to vicariously enjoy is realistically devoid of absurd, rags to riches transitions but is astoundingly great in showing the most gratifying moments in life. Also worth noting is the sensationally entertaining performance delivered by nearly all cast members, especially by Dr. Ed Matsutani (George Takei) and Dell Gordo (Wilmer Valderrama). The well-matched love affair between Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks) and Mercedes Tainot (Julia Roberts) along with some hilarious instances and underlying lessons together crowne the simplicities of life as golden memorabilia of sheer grandioseness.

A nice comedy worth seeing it

Author: jomarios-1 (jomarios@gmail.com) from Venezuela
20 January 2012

This comedy is a surprising movie whose main attraction are the two main characters of the story. Both are well depicted especially the Julia's personage. Julia has never disappointed me through any of her roles in the dozens of films she has appeared in. The film is just highly enjoyable because its subtle story presented through a beautiful photography and sustained by an enjoyable music and sound editing. It's not only a nice comedy but also a fluid modern story which reflects not only several aspects of a rotten home but also the discovery of a spontaneous and promising new relationship. We can say we have known people and homes with this kind of situations, and that sometimes they reflect before our eyes how life is sometimes so complex or, on the contrary, so easy to accept and enjoy in spite of the difficulties we find in our unending pursuit of happiness.

A Sweet End to 2011 and New Love in 2012

Author: leenarete from Kenya
30 December 2011

Larry Crowne is Tom Hanks's directorial debut and he fares real well. Starting from a hardworking fellow who is told to leave because he lacks a college degree or certificate despite serving in the Navy for 20 years, Larry Crowne needs a new perspective in life. How many of you have been there? Felt that life was just unfair and that all your hard work was a waste? Well, Larry eventually comes around and funny enough his haggling neighbor recommends that Larry join College. Here starts the change in Larry's life just like for you at some point when all is dark and over but there is one more chance. He coincidentally falls into a class with the Professor Tainot, played by a mature and intellectual Julia Roberts. His interaction with other students, working with the short money and tight situations bring him out as a winner because he remained a hard worker. One bad turn in life can give you one good result, watch Larry Crowne to end your 2011 and you will notice how the ordinary people can do small extraordinary things, because we are each special. Simple work, simple story, simple message, well done Mr Hanks.

Tom + Julie = Cute

Author: ldquinn from Crofton, MD, United States
21 December 2011

Another perfect vehicle for both Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts, although the film is really Tom's.

Tom's more than slightly nebbish character gets fired from his sales job and the middle aged man starts to slide slowly into crisis. Fortunately, he decides to take a course at a community college and things begin to turn around.

Tom joins a motorcycle gang (ok, it's really just a bunch of kids on scooters), hangs out with the students and begins to learn a bit about himself (to say nothing of a better wardrobe and hair).

Julia Roberts is his professor who, of course, becomes his love interest. She splits from her husband, so the scene is set for...

It's set for some very funny moments, is what. I'll not tell; but, I am sure, you all know how it ends.

If you like Hanks or Roberts, this should be on your list of films to see.

P.S. Pay attention to a couple in the supporting cast - you'll be seeing a lot of them in the future - some really fine, raw talent.

Mixed Feelings

Author: two1790 from United States
15 December 2011

I did enjoy the movie and before reading other reviews I was going to rate it much higher. However, I did agree with some of the more negative reviews. I believe this film was supposed to be taken more light-hearted and not as a serious romantic blockbuster. I'm not going to dwell on the positives because yes it was an all around happy film.

But as others have pointed out there could have been more research on reality and how things really work. The 2 big issues was the way the school functioned, and the whole development of Larry Crowne joining some silly scooter gang. Without any explanation, I just wish that Hanks would have done more investigating into how college actually functions and that the idea of a scooter gang is dumb.

The last big issue was that you could clearly see from the very beginning that hanks was going to get roberts. There wasn't a single problem or conflict that arised. A simple addition could be that maybe roberts never divorced her husband yet. Why is it that the same night hanks meets roberts, is also the same night she fought with her husband and divorced him? Absolutely no drama between hanks and roberts either. Well maybe they were a "match made in heaven", but in reality there's always going to be disagreements.

Interesting character movie, what do you do at middle age when you lose your job?

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
9 December 2011

DVD from my public library. The story was co-written by Tom Hanks, directed by Tom Hanks, and starring Tom Hanks, with a bit of help from Julia Roberts. So it is accurate to call it "The Tom Hanks Show."

Larry Crowne went into the Navy out of high school, made it a career as a cook, and now in middle age works for U-Mart, a surrogate for WalMart, K-Mart, and Target. By all indications Larry is an exemplary employee, but with one glaring fault ... he has no college so has hit his own personal glass ceiling, and is being terminated for lack of a future with U-Mart.

Larry has problems. In his divorce he bought out his wife's share of the house, which is now financially "under water." He owns a gas-guzzler SUV. With no job and no savings, he has to change his life. So he buys a scooter, enrolls in college, and eventually dumps his house back to the mortgage company (bank VP played by his real-life wife, Rita Wilson).

So this story is about Larry Crowne reinventing his life and the people he gets involved with while doing so. One of them is his professor, played by Julia Roberts.

This isn't a great movie, and there are some scenes that don't work as well as I wanted them too, but overall it is an entertaining 90 minutes with a decent message about finding out what is important in your life. And, as in the case of Larry Crowne, giving everything your best, whether it is a speech class, an economics class, or cooking breakfast as a short order cook. That is a message that unfortunately never reaches some people.