IMDb > Larry Crowne (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Larry Crowne

Larry Crowne More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

unbelievable that it was ever made

Author: rusheggie from Canada
13 April 2012

i can't believe this movie was even made. maybe in a few decades it could be enjoyed for some kind of kitsch value that time can grant some films (like those of ed wood), but i am skeptical of even that. from the dated tom petty songs in the soundtrack to the unbelievable characters and situations, the horrible script. it was reminiscent of "The Room", with A- list actors. (or until recently A-list actors... or until this was made A- list actors...) it was startling to see these capable actors in a film this horrible. i felt stupider as each minute of this movie went by. director/writer/actor tom hanks should stick to acting ("that thing you do" (which he also wrote) was no gem either). nia vardalos (co-writer and "my big fat Greek wedding" writer/actor) should maybe just retire.

Wow, did it STINK!

Author: Casablanca3784 from 15th Row Orchestra
4 July 2011

How's it possible to team up two of Hollywood's biggest stars, Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts and come out with a really lousy movie? Beats me but Universal Pictures, Vendome Pictures and Playtone Productions certainly did. The storyline was pathetic and Hanks annoyed the living hell out of me chugging around on a quasi-moped to save gas money while wearing a crash helmet and maintaining throughout the movie a squinty grimace that indicated his jockey shorts could have been two sizes two small. Julia Roberts's acting indicated she never wanted to be in the film to begin with. After subjecting myself to this picture, equivalent to self-flagellation, I regret that Hanks ever got home from being a "Castaway."

Too little of anything other than juvenile and cheap laughs

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
1 July 2011

Tom Hanks is a nice guy. Larry Crowne is a nice guy. But as a movie, "Larry Crowne" is only somewhat likable. Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks) is fired from his 9-time-employee-of-the-month job at U-Mart. Yes, we're supposed to feel sorry for him, and we do, but it's mostly played up for laughs. The most we get into the psychology or economics of the down-sizing is that "times change."

Determined to not be down-sized again, Larry is off to college, for the first time. This is the beginning of the end for the movie, because all the characters we meet at college are on the losing end of the need for cheap laughs. The college dean is obsessed with one of the teachers. Why? Because it provides a few laughs—that's the only reason. On his first day of classes, Larry meets Talia who is going to help Larry reinvent himself. Why would a likable guy like Larry allow a hippie college girl to teach him about life? There aren't even any real laughs with their relationship, so there's no reason at all. Talia then introduces Larry to a gang of scooter riders. Apparently they have all seen "West Side Story" (1961), but there's no way if you went to your local community college would you find that many kids so familiar with the movie.

Opposite Larry (in every sense of the word), is Mercy (Julia Roberts), an unhappy, alcoholic "teacher". I would classify her as one of the worst possible teachers. She claims that she wants her students to care and she wants to change their lives, but she doesn't actually want to teach. She doesn't want to show up on time for class, and she just sits there hung over. My biggest problem with "Larry Crowne" is that I'm pretty sure we were supposed to like and care for this creature. She's going through a divorce. But she's divorcing Dean (Bryan Cranston) and sure he's a lazy, lying has-been, but he made me laugh with every line he said. (But then again, I like Cranston so much I would probably even marry him as Walter White in "Breaking Bad").

When it's just Hanks and Roberts, playing off of each other, the movie is adorable and funny. Their chemistry is perfect, and that's exactly what "Larry Crowne" needs, but they don't give me enough of it. Hanks and Roberts one-on-one (even throw in Cranston and George Takei) and the movie would have been significantly better. An adult romantic comedy with minimal romance and PG-comedy is welcome and refreshing, but the romance was down-played too much and the comedy was too juvenile and not very funny.

The best part of the movie is George Takei playing the greatest and funniest economics professor you could ever imagine. He was given enough time, but again, only for laughs, there's just so little reason for anything occurring.

Very disappointed

Author: nnampil from United States
3 July 2011

My wife and I went to see this movie last night and felt with these two stars how could they miss? They did, big time. It started off slow and then got slower. It was hard keeping your attention on the movie and I fell asleep about 30 minutes into it. I think Hanks should stick to acting and leave the writing and directing to someone else who has more experience in that area. We were not alone as two other couples came out of the theater after us and left as well. Their remarks outside were "what a disappointment" and "it's amazing how they can make a movie seem to be worth seeing from the advertising, I guess you can make anything seem like it will be good with the right stars". We walked out half way through! Boring.

Loved it

Author: cineastFGD
19 March 2015

I absolutely and entirely adored this movie. Yes, the story has not much action, yes, the film is slow and a bit corny sometimes, but it's so full of the right stuff that it makes up for it ten times.

A guy, happy enough with his life, dedicated worker, gets laid off despite all his engagement in the job. Before, he's living the typical US middle-class American dream life, over-sized house with huge mortgage, over-sized car with huge gasoline bills, and ... living from paycheck to paycheck. When he looses his job, this 'system' does not work anymore and he slowly, and at first unwillingly, starts to adapt. First thing that goes is the flat screen TV (that's a brilliant point in the story), then the superfluous garage garbage, then the over-sized house and eventually the car. Could be such a sad story, middle class man looses all his possessions and drops down the social ladder, right?

No, because this movie is about how he finally gets his act together. Along the way, he discovers the really important values in life: education (and I don't mean just striving for a degree, but true interest in the acquisition of more knowledge and new skills), friends that truly care for you, grit and purpose and the resulting acknowledgment, and ... well a new partner (it's Hollywood after all). And along the line, that frugality can be fun, that it shouldn't be material possessions we strive for, but that we should care for the impact we have on the life's of others and our own. The day my neighbours will cry after me when I move away, I will know that I have turned into a truly great human being ;).

Only dummies use smart phones in my class

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
8 January 2015

Directed by Tom Hanks, "Larry Crowne" stars Hanks himself as a middle-aged man who unexpectedly loses his job. Seeking to make himself more employable, Hanks enrols to a community college. Much low-key hilarity ensues.

"Larry Crowne" is flatly directed, terribly written, lacks drama, has nothing to say about the economic downturn it is set in, and features not a single believable human relationship, interaction or character. The film's sheer superficiality, however, is its biggest asset. In an era of over-plotted, overly busy R-rated comedies, the low-key, PG13 "Larry Crowne" is a bit of an anomaly. Throw in a rarely-been-more-stunning Julia Roberts, who radiates movie star charisma, and you have a film that is more tolerable than it should be. George Takei steals the show as a bizarre economics professor.

6/10 – See "The Yellow Handkerchief" and "Everything Must Go".

An Overly Tame, Lacklustre Affair - Inoffensive But Unremarkable

Author: Sean Lamberger from Bradenton, FL
1 December 2014

The lightweight, feel-good saga of a man carelessly adrift in middle age without really recognizing how beleaguered he's become. A half-slate at the local community college opens new horizons and introduces him to colorful, inspirational new figures, which he takes in stride admirably. It's soft rock for the cinema, a shallow little story that's aloof and happy but not terribly gripping or important. Tom Hanks is fine in the lead role, throwing back to the classic everyman archetype that brought him fame and fortune, and his chemistry with Julia Roberts (a bitter, icy communications professor) is more comfortable and real than what we saw in their previous collaboration, 2007's Charlie Wilson's War. Beyond a few passages that may or may not have come from a pamphlet on existentialism and a few strangely unexplored plot threads, there's very little to it. Mildly funny, warm and friendly, it's also quite bland and thoroughly whitewashed.

I laughed and laughed

Author: lmpd51 from United States
31 August 2014

This movie was lighthearted and just what I needed to brighten my evening! There was no raunchiness which was very refreshing. Tom Hanks was is usual wonderful self. Julia Roberts' character could have been developed a bit better but overall this movie was hysterical and my grandkids loved it also. Of course, it was a bit far fetched in some parts but then you have a comedy, that's the way you make people laugh!! My daughter let me borrow it for the evening and I wish she had given it to me. I may buy it. Yes, I liked it that well. And even though a comedy, it was very relevant to today's problems facing our nation.

Not great, but fairly harmless

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
13 August 2014

Not great, but fairly harmless. Light and fluffy sort of movie. Ostensibly a romantic-comedy-drama, it is too light to be a drama and not funny enough to be a comedy. The romantic aspect feels very contrived and unemotional.

In trying to be everything to everyone, it doesn't really hit the mark on any of its intended targets.

Not all bad though. Reasonably entertaining, and moves at a decent pace. Doesn't take itself too seriously, and is reasonably short. Does have a feel-good aspect to it.

Good performance by Tom Hanks in the lead role. Julia Roberts seems miscast in her role as the jaded teacher. Goody Two Shoes roles are more for her, not roles as dark, less-than-perfect people.

An Enjoyable Romantic Comedy that is Nothing Special or Outstanding,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
24 June 2014

Larry Crowne is a good albeit mediocre movie with a decent storyline and a talented cast.The movie is certainly nothing outstanding,but it is an average romantic comedy,it certainly has some funny and sweet moments but it also has several parts that are hit and miss.I think the fact that actors as good as Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts were in this really helped with making this movie more watchable,because there clearly wasn't much to work with in the script but Hanks and Roberts brought the characters to life as much as they could.I also found some of the characters quite annoying,I didn't like any of the bikers that Hanks became friends with and most of the people that were in his class,although I did find Malcolm Barrett's performance really funny and would have liked to have seen more from his character,and I really liked Bryan Cranston's performance,although his character was suppose to be unlikeable,I was unable to dislike him because of Cranstons really likable personality.Larry Crowne isn't worth it to but or rent on DVD,but it is worth the watch if it is ever on TV and you have some time to kill.

A man who is made redundant enrols on a public speaking course at a college and falls for his tutor.

Best Performance: Julia Roberts Worst Performance: Wilmer Valderrama

If you have any recommendations on films/TV series I should watch or review,or any questions to ask me,just tweet me @DillonTheHarris