IMDb > Larry Crowne (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Larry Crowne

Larry Crowne More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

What a yawn - don't bother with this one

Author: phd_travel from United States
23 October 2011

Why they bothered to make this movie beats me. 2 of the biggest stars in Hollywood Julia & Tom couldn't rescue it. It was boring uninteresting totally unfunny. There are actually no laughs, romance, or drama. None of the characters were involving or sympathetic. The basic premise is depressing without any silver lining - a middle aged man gets retrenched, faces foreclosure, goes back to school and then finds love with his teacher. Julia Roberts looks prettier than of late. The color of her hair and her makeup somehow made her look quite lovely and young again. She is not suited to the cranky role. Tom Hanks is too old and puffy looking. You can barely make out the expressions on his face anymore. The supporting cast has such lame and silly roles from Wilmer Valderrama to George Takei. Overall - skip this one even if you are a huge fan of the 2 leads.

Cute enough, but I wouldn't see it again.

Author: niper from United States
8 July 2011

This is a sweet production depicting what I guess a Hollywood actor Tom Hanks would know about the recent economy being tough on most of us. The entire film gives off this sappy attitude of camaraderie and "let's work through these hard times together"! It was never drop to the floor funny, but there were plenty of quirky moments that caused a lot of chuckles throughout the movie.

It's predictable, but not quite boring. Don't expect to get blown out of the water by anything said or done. It's got a lot of what another reviewer here aptly described as "Hollywood fairy dust" that I suppose Tom Hanks acted out the most in his early acting career, and he's now directing the same kind of stuff in his early directing career.

Larry Crowne is a feel-good reflection of our current times with a Hollywood air of optimism and assurance, telling us that with diligence and persistence, we can all climb out of tough times while keeping a nice standard of living. Go out and see it if you're just looking for some relaxation and chuckles with some decent actors.

it could have been better

Author: phoenix 2 from Greece
3 May 2014

Larry Crowne is a middle aged man who looses his job because he hasn't been to collage. Findding himself in a difficult position, between bank dept and unemployment, he decides to take some collage lessons. There he fells in love for his teacher. Over all, Larry Crowne is a good movie, about the ups and downs of life, and how to be optimistic. Tom Hanks is great as Larry, something expected though. The romance however between him and Roberts is not so good, they seem to lack of chemistry and after all, it seems to be rushed or to be unfit for the story. Plus, the ending leaves the audience with some questions, but that's not as much as a down; more of a pickle. So 4 out of 10, because it seemed promising, but Larry Crowne is easily forgettable.

So lame

Author: lepage_8 from Canada
22 February 2014

This was really a poor excuse for a movie. It was very disjoint, with little in the way of plot or character development. Tom Hanks portrays an undereducated middle-aged man who is downsized from his job at a big box store, so he decides to register at the local community college. A really hot young college co-ed befriends him for no apparent reason other than he has a scooter. Julia Roberts portrays a disaffected teacher at the college, in whose class Tom Hanks is enrolled. Her character is a bit of an alcoholic who hates her job and has few redeeming social qualities, and it is mystifying why anyone would be attracted to her, other than the fact that in real life she is Julia Roberts.

In an improbable scene, the teacher (Julia) in a drunken stupor accepts a ride on her student's (Tom's) scooter, and then tries to entice him into bed. Being a gentleman, he declines the opportunity. Afterwards, she is disappointed in herself for her indiscretion, but then inexplicably falls for her over-aged student because he didn't tell any of his scooter friends about it. The relationship between Tom's character and the young co-ed fizzles out just as mysteriously as it started, and the teacher (Julia) and her student (Tom) start to develop a mutual romantic interest in a kind of union of misfits. Mercifully, the movie ended soon after.

What a complete waste of time.

"Cute" is the word, ... at best

Author: XpatPete from Austria
3 January 2014

Mid-aged, low-level white-collar worker is fired for lacking a junior college degree while a disenchanted college prof. is caught up in a tedious job and an even more tedious marriage. As expected, after assorted misadventures, they find common ground.

The description "cute" is central to many of the other reviews of this film. That pretty much sums it up. Hanks and Roberts presumably couldn't do worse than "cute" if their lives depended on it. A foreseeable script with canned dialogue make for light, very light, entertainment, ideal for a late, late TV viewing when other channels are showing reruns of some Dwayne Johnson action flick, interrupted by thigh-master infomercials.

It's always nice to see both Pam Greer and George Takei in any kind of film (please translate "nice" as "cute"), but semi-cameos do not make up for anything at all.

Eminently forgettable.

One of the worst ten movies I have ever seen...

Author: creability-1 from United States
21 November 2011

I saw "From Dusk til Dawn" in a movie theater when it came out. I left after about 10 minutes, but that movie was way better than this pasty, silly, off putting, poorly written piece of nothing. If there was a zero rating, I would use it here.

Acting and in extension script-writing, directing, has to be a) effortless and b) believable. Unfortunately this movie managed none of that. A script that was so incredibly unbelievable paired with acting of dubious (at best) quality made this a train-wreck of a movie. Train-wreck in the sense that although horrible, it is hard to avert your eyes. The make over of the Umart employee of the month to what he becomes, chain in his wallet and all. The over-acting outside Julia's door, looked a lot like Meg Ryan, it is one of the two moves she is asked to do in all movies she is in. The gang, brrrrrrr, horror of horrors... the gang...

We get it, economic downturn, you can make it work! Think positive! There must be a better way of showing it!

Save your money and above all, save your time.

Back to Point A

Author: gradyharp from United States
17 November 2011

LARRY CROWNE is not a bad movie, it is simply an unremarkable movie. Seeing the opening credits read 'A Tom Hanks Production', and 'written by Tom Hanks (with Nia Vardalos)', 'directed by Tom Hanks', 'starring Tom Hanks', with cameos by Rita Wilson (Mrs. Tom Hanks) and Chet Hanks (son of Tom Hanks), we know we are in for a 'Tom Hanks family outing'. So expect a feel good flick - and that is what is delivered. Not that feel good flicks are a bad thing - in this particular time we need more of them. But LARRY CROWNE seems to candy coat the current major problem of economic disaster by making it funny. It's not.

Larry Crowne is a happy-go-lucky top employee of a Walmart/Target/Home Depot type store named UMart, voted best employee of the month nine times, and suddenly is laid off because he has no college education that would allow him to advance in the ranks of management of the huge megapolis-everything store (Larry spent 20 years in the Navy as a cook instead of going to college). Recently divorced, he owes money on his house (his discussion with the bank is in the person of Rita Wilson!), and he is unable to find work. Larry decides to enroll in the local community college where he mets the pixie-like Talia (Gugu Mbatha-Raw, a sparkling personality on screen) and her boyfriend Dell Gordo (Wilmer Valderrama) and their little motor scooter gang (including Grace Gummer, another of Meryl Streep's daughters). Talia takes Larry under her wing, dresses him like a college student and spiffs up his home while attending the same classes as Larry - Econ (with the weaselly Dr Matsutani played to the hilt by George Takei), and Speech taught by Mercedes (Mercy) Tainot (Julia Roberts) who is usually hungover, drinks too much in order to tolerate her useless husband (Bryan Cranston), and tries every trick to get out of teaching her disinterested students. Larry's developing new self (he has a job as a short order cook in a diner now) meets the change factor in his life - Mercy - who because of his kindness and gentlemanly ways attracts Mercy. That of course progresses into predictable situations.

The other aspect of the film that is actually the most touching is the relationship between Larry and his neighbors Lamar (Cedric the Entertainer) and Bella (Taraji P. Henson) who are in a constant state of yard sale: these two actors provides some of the finest scenes in the film. Larry Crowne joins Talia and Dell Gordo in a motor scooter gang, changes his appearance and outlook, and with the help of his new relationship with Mercy he manages to come up happy. In the end the film (despite some good cameo roles) pretty much wastes Hanks and Roberts in an out of focus antidote to the current state of mass unemployment. LARRY CROWNE tries hard but the bumbling big bird of an airplane just never makes it off the ground.

Grady Harp

Tom, what have you done ?

Author: howard-kerr from england, uk
4 October 2013

Firstly let me say I think Tom Hanks has been brilliant - the Green Mile for example is one of my all time favourite films.

So I was looking forward to this, and the first few minutes seemed OK enough to make it worthwhile.

One comment on the opening credits - it says a Tom Hanks film, starring Tom Hanks, co-written by Tom Hanks, Directed by Tom Hanks, Produced by Tom Hanks. Rather reminded of Little Britain's take on Dennis Waterman - i write the theme tune, i sing the theme tune etc.

But back to the film - I will try not to put in any spoilers because the plot - as far as it goes - is very predictable. Also, this is billed as a romantic comedy / drama and I am afraid to say there is very little of each.

With the calibre of the actors you would expect their characters to be believable, but whilst Tom Hanks does a passable performance, Julia Roberts character changes hardly seem credible at all (perhaps she should have watched Cameron Diaz in Bad Teacher for some pointers - which is not the greatest film of all time but quite funny nevertheless).

I know this is a bit of negative review as are many others, but the counteracting positive reviews might make you tempted to watch a film which is just plain tedious.

Sorry Tom, but this just seems like a big self-indulgence on your part and had it been anyone else I doubt the script would have got past the producer's waste paper bin.

A powerful tool in the war on terror

Author: Acks King from Oman
14 December 2011

This is what we've been waiting for since 9/11. Crazies want human rights for the terrorists and the government wants some quick intel, water boarding seems to be inhuman and hell some hardened terrorists can't be broken at all. Try locking them up in a cell with this movie playing, I assure you. They will beg for mercy, they'll give up all that they know, they will renounce their faith, heck they'll be rehabilitated from that moment onwards. This movie will terrorize the terrorists themselves, what it will do to us ordinary humans is anybody's guess.

If your an adrenaline junkie give it a go, but have your exit strategies planned. Either of the actors is a tormentor all on their own and when they come together, you'd rather choose a spinal tap over this.

Not as bad as it has been made out to be

Author: Julianne McFey
8 July 2011

Okay, so Larry Crowne is not award-winning, groundbreaking material; but it sure does not deserve to be torn to shreds in reviews. It's a story about a man starting over after being "downsized" from his job in retail. Why go into it with all these great expectations? The story line is simple and straightforward. Let's be honest. It does not need a whole lot to be deemed a success. I mean, hello, it has Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. They have amazing careers and a huge fan base. Overall, it is enjoyable. Tom Hanks is, as always,charming. He makes the audience genuinely care for Larry Crowne. Julia Roberts provided unexpected, yet welcome comical timing as Mercedes Tainot. As a big fan of hers, I will have to say that Larry Crowne is one of my favorite films starring her post-Erin Brockovich. I was not expecting to find this movie funny, yet I caught myself giggling at clever quips and such. Also, there is a number of supporting characters that are vital to the comical effect of the movie. Larry Crowne is about a man finding his way after being let go from his previous job. The audience gets to root for Larry and watch him succeed. It's a feel good, light-hearted movie with a touch of romance...just sit back and enjoy it.I was very pleasantly surprised after seeing all the reviews it got. I can't speak for everyone, but I would go see it again.