IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Had potential, but instead went down a formulaic route

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
12 August 2014

Had potential, but instead went down a formulaic route. The plot seemed to be set up to be an interesting study on odd couple relationships and don't-judge-a-book-by-its-cover, with a bit of intrigue thrown in. The movie flirts with these ideas briefly, and then reverts to being a standard slasher-thriller.

From then, pretty much everything is straight out of the slasher- thriller handbook, and is very predictable.

Good performance by Jennifer Lawrence in the lead role. In between making serious movies (Winter's Bone, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle), all-style-no-substance-but-big-at-the-box-office movies (Hunger Games, X Men), she makes mostly-forgettable movies like this. Surprised she felt she needed to.

She's pretty much the only reason to watch this movie.

Who cares about it being Horror or not?

Author: invader_zeb from United Kingdom
21 January 2014

Horror fans seem to be the most unduly expectant of all film fans. Let me clarify a few things:

- Horror films aren't made specifically to scare.

Can you imagine if they were? If the achingly poignant plot points of the Exorcist or Carrie were removed in favour of more sudden spooks? The film-going public are far more cynical now anyway, and there're really very few films people actually freak out at. Horror films would be awful if they were meant purely for fright.

- Originality is an impossible dream.

Obviously this film isn't particularly original. Admittedly, the Psycho influence is undeniable, but then the Psycho influence on many good horror films is undeniable. A psychopath is a very convincing subject for a Horror film. A lonesome psychopath, supposedly living on his own is even more convincing.

- By focusing on how this film doesn't live up to the expectations of a Horror film, you will be oblivious to the ways in which it exceeds expectations.

No one expects much depth from a Teen Horror film, but this one delivers in surprising ways. No, it isn't particularly frightening, nor is it particularly suspenseful, but it is an enjoyable film. In particular, I think that Max Thieriot's acting has been underrated in general, probably because people are focusing on Jennifer Lawrence in the main role, looking fairly unconvincing as a high-school teen, and without really any hidden character depths. Max manages to keep his performance as a wet-eyed mystery up to the depressing end, through several revisions of his character in the viewer's eyes, which is no mean feat, and means it's possible to feel sorry for him through a large amount of the film, despite him keeping a random student underground and drugged.

That, incidentally, isn't a great twist. The other, later twist is far better. That's the kind of thing you'd expect from a thriller these days. Regardless of my own dislike of twists they do have a certain power the first time you see them. It also works as a measure of your intelligence and understanding of Film, as it's pretty much the only possible explanation if the beginning scene is to be believed.

I didn't work it out, and spent the last half of the film thinking it was far more unusual a film than it is. Slightly disappointing really, but probably a more rounded film therefore.

So, this film doesn't conform to many people's beliefs of the Horror film stereotype, but that's no bad thing. What it lacks in scares it makes up for in the grim horror atmosphere, reminiscent of the irredeemably black Deadgirl (2008) but with a much more palatable subject matter. Sadly, there is a large dilution, with unnecessary and pointless references to music and bands that are somewhat ubiquitous in teen films, but, really, it's a good film that's suffered from misleading promotion.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
26 May 2013

House at The End of The Street is another ambitious, low budget, Horror film, that tries to make a name for itself by using star power, but how much was I really expecting from a PG-13 Horror film? The story begins when Elissa and her mother move to a new house in the country, a house that is across the street from the scene of a grizzly double murder four years earlier. The house and story is surrounded by rumors and still occupied by the son of the victims, who Elissa quickly befriends. Once again we have a common theme that has been done to death, but the producers of this film were hoping that by spending big bucks on Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games) and Max Thieriot (Bates Motel) that they could get people to watch their film and it worked, but I suspect most people were sadly disappointing like I was. The acting was terrific and everything you would expect from these actors, but the story was so simple and predictable that it really wasn't worth watching. Being a PG-13 film didn't help either as there wasn't really anything too horrific or creepy to really catch your attention. If that wasn't bad enough, the first hour of the film was so slow, that I almost turned it off. The only thing that kind of gave me a laugh was that there was a lot of scenes with Jennifer Lawrence in the woods and I couldn't help but think that Katniss wished she had her bow. House at The End of The Street is a film that has the star power, but not much else, as it's a slow, tame, predictable film, that's been done and it leaves far too many unanswered questions. If you're a die hard Jennifer Lawrence fan, check it out, otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time on this one.

Laughable and Unexpected

Author: Shilo Sixx from Canada
21 September 2014

House at the End of the Street is an intense thriller but doesn't last.

It's about a young girl named Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence), who moves with her mother, a medical doctor and newly divorced woman named Sarah (Elisabeth Shue), to a small community. The house they move into is near a house where a family was murdered 4 years before. A girl named Carrie Ann Johnston (Eva Link) murdered the family and her brother, Ryan (Max Thieriot), is the sole survivor and lives in the house alone. The community looks at him in sin and hates him but Elissa takes a liking to him and becomes friends with him. After Elissa starts a relationship with Ryan, against her mother's wishes, and her worst nightmare is about to come true.

Jennifer Lawrence is an up and coming actress who displays talent and intelligence. she is a charm to watch on the screen and she plays her character very well. Elizabeth Shue is a divine talent and she adds beautiful chemistry to the mother-daughter couple. One is naive and the other is smart and they preform well on the screen.

What you would expect from a psychological thriller, you get but the story to the picture is nothing new and badly played out. You wait in suspense as to what might happen and when you find out, it's not a wild surprise, like you would think. The setup is nothing new, "Boy likes girl, Girl likes boy" and they spend the second act with dialogue, played out exactly like you have seen before.

This is the kind of picture where someone enters into the small community, where a tragedy took place, and everyone is quiet and a suspect. It just so happens a 17-year-old has to be the one that falls into this setting with whatever is about to happen, usually something bad. It adds nothing new to the element of surprise.

The picture itself is well lit up and is played out like a thriller should be but the story is stupid and badly written. It drags on with suspects and it makes you think that one person is crazy all along and when you see the final act, you feel cheated because you wasted your time waiting for a shocking ending but you get a surprise you could see coming from the first act.

There is a sequence where the main character is tied up in a basement and she is near baby monitors that are rigged to hear if anyone is coming at the front door. When a cop arrives to investigate, she is not even gagged so she can scream right into the monitors for help. This is a logical error among many in the picture and is laughable.

House at the End of the Street is a bad thriller, it's the same thing as every other psycho thriller you have seen before and we get nothing new. The thrills are dry, the story is a drag and the surprises are predictable. It's avoidable and could of been done a lot better.

First Jennifer Lawrence film that isn't good

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
7 June 2014

"People don't notice all the secrets around them. Even though they're right in front of them, just hiding, waiting to be found."

If you thought the title of this film was bad, wait until you actually see the movie because it is pretty much a standard film in the horror genre. I don't even think you can consider this one a horror film, because there isn't much scares; it is more of a teen romantic suspense film. It's formulaic and by the books. Jennifer Lawrence had a perfect rating until I got around to watching this film. She didn't have much to work with and she gives a decent performance but nothing like the work we've come to expect from her these days. This is a forgettable film and one that despite having an interesting twist towards the end ruins it by extending the absurdity a bit too long in the final act. The clever twist lost its appeal for me when director, Mark Tonderai, decided to continue stretching out the scene making each second more and more unbelievable and pointless.

The screenplay co-written by David Loucka and Jonathan Mostow centers on a single mother, Sarah (Elisabeth Shue), and her teenage daughter, Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) who arrive from Chicago to a small town to start a new life. Their new home is big and beautiful and of course they bought it cheap because the house in front of theirs has a dark past. A 13 year old girl murdered her parents four years ago and never was found. The girl's brother, Ryan (Max Thieriot), who was living with her aunt at that time now lives in that house and leads a quiet and lonely life. The neighbors aren't too friendly towards him, but Elissa who happens to have a thing with fixing broken people takes a liking for him. Her mother is worried about their new friendship, but the town's Sheriff (Gil Bellows) assures her that he's never caused any trouble. But Ryan has a secret he's kept to himself all this time which explains his lonely behavior.

House at the End of the Street is full of clichés and borrows ideas from other much better horror films. I would've enjoyed the twist more if it didn't rely so much on these clichés and would have avoided the predictable ending. There's a scene where Ryan and Elissa stare at a tree and he tells her how he sees the face of a man on it. It's a straight forward metaphor in the film reminding us that sometimes we see things that aren't really there. Storytellers have the power to make us believe or see things about certain characters that are truly not there. The film might appeal to some teens and fans of Jennifer Lawrence, but this formulaic film has bad editing and relies on so many horror clichés like the "shocking" sound effects that don't necessarily work very well. It's ineffective and uninspiring and if we had never heard of Jennifer Lawrence before we'd never consider her as an upcoming star.

....worst horror movie of my life....

Author: emomomotional from Oklahoma
13 May 2013

Not scary; not interesting; not ever getting those 2 hours of my life back... Wow, that movie was bad...

I've never been so... un-impressed.

You feel like you're being lead up to a climax the entire movie but I feel like the actual climax wasn't even climactic... Seriously, this is a terrible movie- but an EMPHATICALLY bad horror movie.

Good actors; good budget- bad film. I am so annoyed that I just wasted that money. Ugh.

I wouldn't have watched this movie for free and I'm twice as annoyed to have paid for it...

Not a scary film....

Author: Tribal-Warrior from United Kingdom
1 October 2012

Predictable storyline once you start watching it, and not a scary film at all, apart from a few times where it tries to make you jump... only succeeded to make me jump on one occasion.

I actually thought this might be a haunted house sort of film judging by the title, as I didn't watch any trailers. But it isn't, it's just a teen slasher type, but without much slashing.

If you can get into a free screening like I did, or maybe orange Wednesday 2 for 1, then it's worth a watch, otherwise wait until it comes out for rental.

Not Woth the Money.

Author: noemiwrites
30 September 2012

WARNING: There are spoilers in this review.

The very name of the movie should turn you away.

The movie begins with a girl walking down a dark hallway, knocking over a lamp and table, the parents wake up, the mother checks on her, the mother dies, then the father. Fast forward four years and a mother and daughter move in next door from Chicago. At this point, it seems somewhat interesting. However, the rest of it, isn't.

I expected it to be a grudge type thing maybe, but I didn't expect it to be so ... cliché. I do like Jennifer Lawrence, and I wanted to like the movie, but there is a line. She was pretty good, her character wasn't bad, but the supporting cast/characters could have been more developed ... more ... just more.

The twists in this just gave me a headache. The whole movie felt like it was rushed and overly-clichéd and it just wasn't at all what I had expected it to be. I'll admit that some of the scenes looked cool and could make some good gifs for graphics later on. It wasn't worth $9.00 and I really wish I could get my money back.

A Thriller Film and not a Horror Film.

Author: justin_caunan from Philippines
13 February 2013

House at the End of the Street or HATES is a good film. But it is not a horror flick. It is a suspense thriller with twists and turns until you lose your mind thinking.

Let's talk about the movie. The acting is good. The jump scares are infrequent, but good and really scare me sometimes (one jump scare is really expected). The plot is I like, because it is really keeps me thinking. What I don't like is the 1 hour and 35 minutes long running time and it is very long.

But still, a great film even it is not listed at my list of greatest movies of 2012.

Not worth the money

Author: vampvixenluna13 from United States
21 September 2012

This movie was too predictable, the only time I jumped was at the beginning, but from there you can guess what is going to happen next and what is going on. To get a good thrill go out and rent some of the old slasher films like Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the thirteenth. Or for just a good Spook Rent The Ring, 5ive girls, Doom, Silent Hill Series, Pet Semetery, Children of The Corn, Rose Red, IT, Graveyard Shift,Lake Placid. Or go even further back for a giggle like The Blob, Birds,Chucky. If planning this for a date night, don't do it. Wait 'til Halloween for the newest Silent hill movie, or even wait 'til Sinister comes out. Trust me and plan something else more worth while.

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]