IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 10 of 17: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Too cliché!

Author: bravesfanc from United States
27 July 2013

This story wasn't bad at all. The only problem is that this movie tries too hard for cheap scares. For example, during the climax (spoiler alert) after she finds the cops gun and he runs for cover and shuts the lights off, she has a flashlight that's not quite working and would go on and off and the shot is from her point of view, sooner or later you know he will be on screen. And maybe because of the way the music tied along to what was happening it may have done what it intended to do to some viewers. It had a good twist, one I didn't see coming. However, it just wasn't executed well. Also, (spoiler alert) if I remember correctly, Alyssa's mom was stabbed during the finale, but after everything is resolved, and we see the two of them about to leave, she's completely fine. Now, it doesn't say how far in the future it was, but it didn't seem like much time had past since the events.

Strong beginning

Author: kosmasp
14 July 2013

Who knows if Jennifer Lawrence would have done such a movie after she received her Oscar this year? Then again, I don't think she will only stay true to art movies (Hunger Games "anthology" will still be on her card, though I'm not sure, if she already signed her soul over for those movies). This is anything but an art movie, even with a second lady who's no stranger to the man in gold. Elizabeth Shue that is, who was amazing in Leaving Las Vegas. Bus she has also seen Piranhas lately, so don't let those female starring names fool you.

As I wrote in the title though, I thought the movie began pretty strong. Visually and from the characters point of view. Nothing completely new or ground breaking, but decent enough to hold your attention and keep you interested. Unfortunately towards the end of the movie, it does turn pretty dull. While it might have a punch or two left, they almost lose all their power due to horror constraints and clichés.

An excellent movie!!! For teens that is.

Author: LolaCrane
11 July 2013

If you were a 20-30-40 something year old expecting a For real horror film like Saw or the exorcist, then ya of course you'd be disappointed. This is a film for someone who doesn't want to be to scared. Honestly there was the occasional jump but this was the type of movie for a teenage girl who gets scared easily (also known as me). In the end this was an excellent movie. A little but cheesy at time like the whole falling while your running, (really J-law, I love her but honestly.) but besides that I was very impressed. And Ryan wasn't to bad to look at ether. The acting was very impressive. I still prefer J-law in hunger games but she played the part very well. The mother was also a very good actress. She played the newly divorced, overprotective mother pretty well. As for Ryan he played his character as the quiet neighbor so well it was almost like a Norman bates type character. With his boyish charm and soft smile, yet there was something about him that made you not want to get to close to him, similar to Anthony Perkins character in the oh so famous psycho. Over all it was an excellent movie that I suggest you try, at least once.

Bland, boring and predicable

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
16 June 2013

One reason I have seen this movie early was cause of title of the movie but I have had it on my watch list for a bit and I was recommend this movie 3 days ago.

So gave this movie watch and first set go, I wasn't sure what actually going on, It didn't really make sense of it, while trying figuring it out, I thought I might missed something at start.

As the movie goes on the movies get way to predicable and some stuff in this movie was just waist of time.

I felt most of the movie very boring and I just not connect with any one and I should sorry for girl, who seem to be nasty person.

I actually felt sorry for the killer in this movie, well they gave him a little bit of back story to him.

After the movie ended, I was actually still waiting something to happen in this movie,

Watch-able movie but it id very weak pacing which make the movie uninteresting and at end of the movie you will feel humdrum, I know I did.

The acting was really decent from the whole, it shame about rest of the movie.

3 out of 10

Let down.

Author: jimmerw from Canada
25 May 2013

Going into this, I was hoping for a true horror. Not a slasher film, but something that could actually send a chill or two into a seasoned horror buff. Sadly that never happened. At no point did I find anything that made me say 'Wow, didn't see that coming'.

This movie should be dubbed as a thriller, not a horror. Had I gone into it expecting a thriller, I may not have been so let down. This might be thought a horror movie by the 13 year old girl MTV crowd, but for the rest of us, it was a long, drawn out drama, leading to a few minor suspense scenes.

A decent movie to rent on video, but not worth inflated movie theater pricing.

Half a decent thriller

Author: WatchedAllMovies from United States
22 May 2013

The first half is pretty good. There is no guessing which direction the movie is going. Actually I guessed but guessed wrong.

Then when the cat is out of the bag, the movie became a typical slasher type movie, and the IQ of the good guys became lower. For example, why would a trained police entered a dark and unfamiliar house without calling for backup? Why would you crawl over someone holding a knife who looks unconscious, without taking any precaution? To their credit, the slasher's IQ was also lowered at two different moments in the movie. Why would you attack someone holding a gun and a flashlight head-on? Wouldn't it be better to attack from the back? The movie is frustratingly stupid. I wish writers could write a thriller with smarter good guys.

Underrated...

Author: Rich Wright
19 May 2013

The online buzz for this is pretty woeful, but I must have seen a different film. I found it a very well thought out horror, with a heroine who is no-ones idea of a damsel in distress, and a series of events which gripped from the off. One of the best aspects of it was the interactions between people felt real and human, unlike a host of similar films where it's all about the screams and gore quotient. This movie had a decent set-up, an arresting narrative and a final secret that I never saw coming.

Whether people found it too slow, or there wasn't enough action I don't know. But when I've seen a film, and I feel it succeeded in what it set out to do and I know I haven't wasted my time, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn... 7/10

Not Bad...

Author: Danii Disaster from United Kingdom
25 April 2013

It's an O.K. movie, but to tag it as "horror" is MASSIVELY misleading (to say the least).

Thriller? Yes.

Horror? Are you kidding me?

There is NOTHING scary/creepy/disturbing about this movie. At all. What exactly is it that makes this movie fall under the "horror" genre?

A police man gets stabbed with a knife (there's hardly any blood), and a dude breaks another dude's ankle in a fight. These are the 2 "horror" scenes I remember from this movie.

It's suitable for pre-teens to watch. There's nothing that could possibly be referred to as not kid-friendly.

The acting is great, I'll give them that. And the story is interesting enough -- in the beginning at least. The movie is a bit slow to get started, but it's suspenseful enough.

Well, I *was* a bit disappointed... I thought they could've come up with a much better story, though. That dude's motives made no sense to me, and I thought it was silly and not convincing (the whole story with his sister or whatever). Lame and not very believable.

It's worth seeing. Once. Nothing spectacular, but might keep you entertained for a while.

Plausability

Author: galahad58-1 from United States
1 April 2013

The best thrillers have to be plausible. Psycho was a good example of a thriller that you believe could have happened. House at the End of the Street has zero plausibility. First off, when Carrie Anne died the entire town would have known and the parents could not have made the son into her without folks knowing. Unless they kept the boy locked in the house, but then the school system would have wanted to know where he was. If folks knew he was being made into his sister, they would have suspected him of the murders. The town would not treat him the way that they were treating him in the movie, but would have been afraid that he would kill again. No matter what, the parents could not have made him change his personality to his sister's.

What would have worked: if you want to skip all the plausible--the kid's psyche fractures and he is both himself and Carrie Anne. He is sent away for years in an institution to help him cope and provide mental care, he comes home and the neighbor learns to cope with a person with a split personality--no horror, no thriller, just human drama and it would have been an Oscar type of film. Which someone will probably steal this idea shortly.

This film stinks. A low for Jennifer Lawrence

Author: moviesrme10
17 March 2013

can't really understand this poor piece of film. I don't get it actually, what was the point in this film, it was a waste of the films talented star, I mean this film is just garbage. This film was filmed in like 2010, the only reason they even released this film in 2012 was because of Jennifer Lawrence's recent raise of fame, so they thought this film could scope up plenty of cash. This film is just yuck. I mean this is suppose to be a horror but i didn't get scared once. This film truly is a modern example of a B- Movie. OK, lets begin with the one good thing sents everything else is bad. OK so the one good thing in here is... Elisabeth Shue. Ya i'm not talking about Jennifer Lawrence she sucked in this film i guess she didn't want to put an effort into acting in this film unlike her decent acting in The Hunger Games. Elisabeth Shue plays the mother of Jennifer Lawrence's character, she put in her best efforts into this film but as you can tell they were not enough, i mean do you think one person can make a good film- no, it takes most of the but for the most part everyone was probably sleeping or goofing off. Now onto all the bad things in this film. Including the wooden acting, script, cast,music,scares, and directors. OK now except for Elisabeth Shue, everyone in the cast had very unbelievable and cheesy acting. Hated it. I mean come on am i suppose to believe this film? I don't think so its just so plain. The actors are rookies having little or no experience acting. Take Max Theriot for example the only other film he was in is My Soul to Take wow. Its just sad. Jennifer Lawrence acting in this film was so poor and just bla that i didn't even know it was her at first, i'm not kidding this was bad. The script is god horrible. I mean they had one scene in which the two main characters are looking at a tree, and see a face- come on give me a break. And the script contains many cheesy lines yuck, man this script was just so under developed and cheesy to the point of throwing up, god i mean so this guy kidnaps girls and locks the up - wow have not Saw that before, am i right jeesh so lame and unoriginal. The cast where just not right for the roles i mean Jennifer Lawrence- wtf come on they should have had like Jennifer Stone in the part not some 20 year old lady, and Max Theriot he is like 30 now come on give me a break, yes the guy can seem scary but please. The music in this film is just so little and produces no atmosphere like tension during horror scenes or any such atmosphere at all it is just wrong and very poor. This film is anything but scary, during horror scenes i just sat there and actually laughed at the poor horror quality. This film is just nothing and the directors are the major part of it. The two directors can't decide with each other what this film is, is it a horror, or a romance, or even a mystery, what is it? We will not know because of the worst directors ever made this film. All an All this film is a major disappointment, and i sit here surprised that not even Jennifer Lawrence helped the film reach anything. D-