IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Help me with the ending

Author: zzyzx000-124-271558 from United States
14 July 2013

That's what the writers should have been asking everybody they knew. I'm infatuated with J-Law and that's the reason I watched this flick. It's also the reason I give it a 5* rating. She's good and attractive and get's my attention. The movie was going along OK until the end. I got a little bored while J-Law was playing with the on again off again flashlight and maybe I missed something? There was a flashback to the dead Cop's association with Ryan's family. He knew them and knew they buried the daughter when she fell off the swing. So who was he? What did I miss? Then J-Law shoots Ryan 3 or 4 times in the chest and he seems to die, but comes alive in time to get stabbed by J-Law's mother, who had been knifed by Ryan several times about 10" deep in the belly but who also comes back to life to drag J-law from the basement. And of course Ryan survives the bullet holes and the knife wounds and we see him in jail to end the picture, but at least he flashes us a neck scar to prove to us the screenwriter understands there must be penalty's paid for knife and gun play.

Strong beginning

Author: kosmasp
14 July 2013

Who knows if Jennifer Lawrence would have done such a movie after she received her Oscar this year? Then again, I don't think she will only stay true to art movies (Hunger Games "anthology" will still be on her card, though I'm not sure, if she already signed her soul over for those movies). This is anything but an art movie, even with a second lady who's no stranger to the man in gold. Elizabeth Shue that is, who was amazing in Leaving Las Vegas. Bus she has also seen Piranhas lately, so don't let those female starring names fool you.

As I wrote in the title though, I thought the movie began pretty strong. Visually and from the characters point of view. Nothing completely new or ground breaking, but decent enough to hold your attention and keep you interested. Unfortunately towards the end of the movie, it does turn pretty dull. While it might have a punch or two left, they almost lose all their power due to horror constraints and clichés.

What an unbelievable disappointment

Author: captaincameron from Tampa, Florida
8 June 2013

There are four good things in this movie: Jennifer Lawrence in a tank top and Elizabeth Shue in a tank top. Barring that, this movie was truly, truly bad. In part I can blame the marketing--they made it seem like a supernatural horror story; instead, it was a failed attempt at a thriller. Rather than creating a new character, they pretty much let Jennifer Lawrence stay in the role of Katniss from The Hunger Games, but with her hair blonde instead. But she did okay, given what she had to work with; so did Max Theriot. Other characters in the movie didn't have to worry about wooden dialogue because we never really saw them more than a couple of times. Every attempt at a plot twist was easily anticipated, including the attempt at a shocker ending. Save yourself time and pain and skip the flick--and if you are watching it for the four good things that I mention, those are few and far between as well.

Let down.

Author: jimmerw from Canada
25 May 2013

Going into this, I was hoping for a true horror. Not a slasher film, but something that could actually send a chill or two into a seasoned horror buff. Sadly that never happened. At no point did I find anything that made me say 'Wow, didn't see that coming'.

This movie should be dubbed as a thriller, not a horror. Had I gone into it expecting a thriller, I may not have been so let down. This might be thought a horror movie by the 13 year old girl MTV crowd, but for the rest of us, it was a long, drawn out drama, leading to a few minor suspense scenes.

A decent movie to rent on video, but not worth inflated movie theater pricing.

Tonderai Gets Out the Old Cookie Cutter from the 1970s

Author: doug_park2001 from United States
24 March 2013

HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET does a fine job of following the good ol' psycho-horror flick formula. Attractive and popular high school senior Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence of HUNGER GAMES fame) and her mother (very well-played by Elisabeth Shue) move into a house next door to the infamous one where some parents were murdered by their own "daughter," Carrie Anne, three years earlier. (No one knows for sure what happened to "Carrie Anne" afterward.) Anyhoo, Jennifer enters into a forbidden friendship with Carrie Anne's older brother, Ryan, who still lives in the murder house. Though pale, strange, withdrawn Ryan is disliked and antagonized by Elissa's rowdy classmates, he seems nice and just misunderstood at first. But wait, there's more to the story. . .

Some attempts at tension and foreboding even though the first hour is uneventful and difficult to get through. Nevertheless, there are some pretty good standard horror flick twists and revelations towards the end. Some violence and gore, but even the unrated version is quite tame. HOUSE resembles a modernized original PROM NIGHT or the first HALLOWEEN: Nothing terribly original, but if you enjoy conventional horror, aren't too demanding, and miss the oldies but goodies from the 70s/80s, you should find it more or less worth watching. It probably won't scare you at all, but there's nothing else fundamentally wrong with it outside of a few basic questions of plot that are left completely unanswered. But oh well. . .

Drive past the House at the End of the Street?

Author: Chandru Bhojwani (cultjones@yahoo.com) from United Kingdom
17 February 2013

A Mother and Daughter move in to a small town and rent a house down the street from the Jacobson home, the site of a double murder four years prior. A brain-damaged daughter murders her parents and vanishes in the woods leaving the house to the sole living heir, the son Ryan. The town loathes the Jacobson property while the young new neighbour, played by Jennifer Lawrence, befriends the loner son only to uncover a dark truth.

Elisabeth Shue and Lawrence headline Mark Tonderai's suspense thriller, which aims to keep you at the edge of your seat before making you jump out of them. Unfortunately it comes off as a little clichéd for the most part and outside of Shue and Lawrence, portions of the acting and dialogue are sub par. Yes, there is a twist which helps give the movie some credibility but then the twists become a little sudden and silly. Unfortunately there isn't enough to make it a stand out thriller and House at the end of the Street is a mid-list DVD watch at best.

This movie is a classic thriller and nothing more.

Author: www-r-u-x-a-n-d-r-a
20 January 2013

House at the End of the Street is a classic thriller movie. It is indeed not in the correct genre of its placing in horror. The movie is about a young teenage girl that just moved to a new place with her mother next to a teenage boy that survived his sister's madness. This piece involves typical characters, bad plot, and a splicing of different horror movies into one.

Jennifer Lawrence as Elissa took the over used role of a high school girl and added her own acting technique to make the viewers a bit more interested. As the main character she leads the film. Many commenter's later stated that the best part of this film was just her acting. Elissa contains the characteristics of a normal teen, for example hating her mom. Her growing relationship with the antagonist Ryan(Max Thierot) gives the audience one of this movie's many clichés. Max's character is again typical for a film. A nice, mysterious, bad boy that for some reason is hated amongst other surrounding townspeople attracts the innocent Elissa into his life. Elissa's mother Sarah(Elisabeth Shue) plays the concerned mother and directs her daughter to stay away from the antagonist. The character descriptions are clichéd and one dimensional. The acting is well executed, but the actors contain little to go off of in their script.

The plot written by Jonathan Mostow can be concluded by three words: classic thriller movie. This movie is not a horror movie for the fact that it leads to nothing gory and grotesque and that its jumps only gives suspense and nothing at the end every single time. The techniques, the characters, and the story itself are types of instances and ideas that have been commonly used for years. The plot used every cliché in the book. Some of the overused techniques include the main character having the strange urge to venture where she should not, falling in love with the bad boy, having the mother protect her offspring no matter what, etc. The dialogue and title are generic as possible. The plot is also misleading to the viewers. In the beginning of the piece the story line lets the audience infer that the film is going in one direction; however, it leads to a theme that should of not been written down to use in the first place.

House at the End of the Street is made up of a variety of horror films to construct its own style. It took films such as Psycho and Black Christmas to interest the audience, but failed. The movie lacks originality. The only original idea it has is its must have reason why the antagonist is the antagonist. This movie is so clichéd a viewer can infer the circumstances long before they occur.

This film derives itself on other films. It is a classic thriller and nothing more. The acting serves well, but the plot kills it all. House at the End of the Street is not such a thing that one should waste income on in theaters and it is not something that should be desired to watch twice.

predictable and mainstream

Author: jack kenny from Australia
15 January 2013

the plot in this movie is so mainstream it's saddening. a family moves in and it just so happens they move in in the same street a murderer/psycho lives in.

the movie has features that could not possibly be real in real life. the mother being stabbed and placed in glass cannot knock out someone who's fit and armed with a knife just to name one.

as for the acting max thieriot performance was applaudable. his secretive and kindness acting skills were the few things that were actually unpredictable. i think jennifer lawrence was okay, but her choice of role was disappointing. she was made for Oscar movies like silver linings playbook, and not cliché movies like this. i hope the more she acts and the older she gets she chooses better movies to go in, in which im sure she will.

all in all i do not recommend you pay money on this, search it up on the internet or download as it is not worth your money.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
26 May 2013

House at The End of The Street is another ambitious, low budget, Horror film, that tries to make a name for itself by using star power, but how much was I really expecting from a PG-13 Horror film? The story begins when Elissa and her mother move to a new house in the country, a house that is across the street from the scene of a grizzly double murder four years earlier. The house and story is surrounded by rumors and still occupied by the son of the victims, who Elissa quickly befriends. Once again we have a common theme that has been done to death, but the producers of this film were hoping that by spending big bucks on Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games) and Max Thieriot (Bates Motel) that they could get people to watch their film and it worked, but I suspect most people were sadly disappointing like I was. The acting was terrific and everything you would expect from these actors, but the story was so simple and predictable that it really wasn't worth watching. Being a PG-13 film didn't help either as there wasn't really anything too horrific or creepy to really catch your attention. If that wasn't bad enough, the first hour of the film was so slow, that I almost turned it off. The only thing that kind of gave me a laugh was that there was a lot of scenes with Jennifer Lawrence in the woods and I couldn't help but think that Katniss wished she had her bow. House at The End of The Street is a film that has the star power, but not much else, as it's a slow, tame, predictable film, that's been done and it leaves far too many unanswered questions. If you're a die hard Jennifer Lawrence fan, check it out, otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time on this one.

HUGE letdown... Again!

Author: DarkDefender_81 from Germany
22 March 2013

You probably watched the trailer to this, just like I did, going 'Hey, this looks actually pretty neat. Maybe this film could be good', just to realize, after having watched the entire film, that this was just another huge letdown.

Because this is just another one of these scary wanna be films where the main characters have just moved from the big city to the middle of nowhere for whatever unimportant reason, so that the story can begin. And this results in one of the most boring first 70 minutes such a film can ever have, because NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING of any significance happens in that time.

Well, at least we have eye candy Jennifer Lawrence to look at. And she is good, or let me say it this way. She is as good as she can be with the little the script has to offer.

And in that way she reminds me a bit of my favorite actress Natalie Portman. Even if the film is a complete stinker, she is still amazing.

The last part of the film is then quite good, at least compared to the first 70 minutes. And the scene in which Jennifer's character is in the dark, trying to locate the bad guy with a flashlight is then actually pretty cool, but that's about one minute of film out of 96.

So, the bottom line is, this film has absolutely no balance at all. 70 minutes of boredom and about 15 minutes of a little suspense and action is just not enough to have a good movie.

So, this is just another huge letdown... Again. Pity.