IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Not bad,not good just average.

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
16 October 2013

House at the end of the street could have been so much more since it clearly shows it has the potential. This film is proof how important a director can be to translate such potential to the screen. In this case Mark Tonderai fails to.

From the title you might have gotten the impression this is one of so many haunted house stories. And there was enough there to make it seem like that way. Which would have added to the viewing experience. Yet too soon any hint towards the supernatural is crushed by a turn in the story that in my opinion came far too soon. Then the director seems to be more focused on the dynamics between mother Elisabeth Shue and daughter Jennifer Lawrence. Which was nice to set up the tension between them but it has no bearing to the overall story. And thus ends up a waste of time. Then the thriller elements kicks in that start out promising and even offer a decent amount of suspense which sadly never supersedes mediocrity. A lot could have been done to add suspense or thrills. Like adding some good old red herrings. I know some people don't care about those and want the blood and the gore. Guess what there is none. Luckily I am not one of those horror fans who find that to be necessary. One can thrill in several other ways. But director Mark Tonderai does nothing of the sort and goes for the easy and predictable solutions. Not even bothering to surprise or reward the viewer for watching at the end of this film.

So is it a title that is worth your time? It is not bad by any means. Only it's not particular good either. For me this is one of those titles I reserve for rainy Sundays when nothing else is on. I think Jennifer Lawrence fans will watch this regardless. And perhaps will fall for the charm of Max Thieriot. He shows promise and did what he could with his role and is bound to impress the ones who watch this. Other than that there is nothing going on that needs mentioning.

I want you Elissa... but I need Carrie Anne.

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
5 October 2013

I have to admit that I am surprised to see Jennifer Lawrence in a horror film after her success in Winter's Bone and The Hunger Games. Apparently, it was made about the same time as Winter's Bone and released only after she became popular in Hunger Games.

Ryan (Max Thieriot), who lives at the titular house has a secret. We are party to it less than 30 minutes into the movie. But, we don't see the real secret.

There is not a lot here that makes for a horror film. It's not really scary, and there is little blood. It is more a psychological thriller.

At least we get to once again see great acting by Jennifer Lawrence.

horror without the tension

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 August 2013

Did anybody else felt this movie lacked any tension? Maybe we've seen this movie before. Maybe this movie has such little style. About the only thing this movie has going for it is Jennifer Lawrence.

The story had potential. All the classic iconic characters are there. But the story never takes off. And a twist derails what little momentum this movie had. It sidelines many of its characters from the ending, and really came off as dishonest.

And for a movie called House at the End of the Street, the house was really forgettable. They could at least attempt a Psycho house.

Thru it all, Jennifer Lawrence carried the story through the power of her presence. For her, I turn a 5 into a 6.

Too cliché!

Author: bravesfanc from United States
27 July 2013

This story wasn't bad at all. The only problem is that this movie tries too hard for cheap scares. For example, during the climax (spoiler alert) after she finds the cops gun and he runs for cover and shuts the lights off, she has a flashlight that's not quite working and would go on and off and the shot is from her point of view, sooner or later you know he will be on screen. And maybe because of the way the music tied along to what was happening it may have done what it intended to do to some viewers. It had a good twist, one I didn't see coming. However, it just wasn't executed well. Also, (spoiler alert) if I remember correctly, Alyssa's mom was stabbed during the finale, but after everything is resolved, and we see the two of them about to leave, she's completely fine. Now, it doesn't say how far in the future it was, but it didn't seem like much time had past since the events.

Strong beginning

Author: kosmasp
14 July 2013

Who knows if Jennifer Lawrence would have done such a movie after she received her Oscar this year? Then again, I don't think she will only stay true to art movies (Hunger Games "anthology" will still be on her card, though I'm not sure, if she already signed her soul over for those movies). This is anything but an art movie, even with a second lady who's no stranger to the man in gold. Elizabeth Shue that is, who was amazing in Leaving Las Vegas. Bus she has also seen Piranhas lately, so don't let those female starring names fool you.

As I wrote in the title though, I thought the movie began pretty strong. Visually and from the characters point of view. Nothing completely new or ground breaking, but decent enough to hold your attention and keep you interested. Unfortunately towards the end of the movie, it does turn pretty dull. While it might have a punch or two left, they almost lose all their power due to horror constraints and clichés.

An excellent movie!!! For teens that is.

Author: LolaCrane
11 July 2013

If you were a 20-30-40 something year old expecting a For real horror film like Saw or the exorcist, then ya of course you'd be disappointed. This is a film for someone who doesn't want to be to scared. Honestly there was the occasional jump but this was the type of movie for a teenage girl who gets scared easily (also known as me). In the end this was an excellent movie. A little but cheesy at time like the whole falling while your running, (really J-law, I love her but honestly.) but besides that I was very impressed. And Ryan wasn't to bad to look at ether. The acting was very impressive. I still prefer J-law in hunger games but she played the part very well. The mother was also a very good actress. She played the newly divorced, overprotective mother pretty well. As for Ryan he played his character as the quiet neighbor so well it was almost like a Norman bates type character. With his boyish charm and soft smile, yet there was something about him that made you not want to get to close to him, similar to Anthony Perkins character in the oh so famous psycho. Over all it was an excellent movie that I suggest you try, at least once.

Bland, boring and predicable

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
16 June 2013

One reason I have seen this movie early was cause of title of the movie but I have had it on my watch list for a bit and I was recommend this movie 3 days ago.

So gave this movie watch and first set go, I wasn't sure what actually going on, It didn't really make sense of it, while trying figuring it out, I thought I might missed something at start.

As the movie goes on the movies get way to predicable and some stuff in this movie was just waist of time.

I felt most of the movie very boring and I just not connect with any one and I should sorry for girl, who seem to be nasty person.

I actually felt sorry for the killer in this movie, well they gave him a little bit of back story to him.

After the movie ended, I was actually still waiting something to happen in this movie,

Watch-able movie but it id very weak pacing which make the movie uninteresting and at end of the movie you will feel humdrum, I know I did.

The acting was really decent from the whole, it shame about rest of the movie.

3 out of 10

Let down.

Author: jimmerw from Canada
25 May 2013

Going into this, I was hoping for a true horror. Not a slasher film, but something that could actually send a chill or two into a seasoned horror buff. Sadly that never happened. At no point did I find anything that made me say 'Wow, didn't see that coming'.

This movie should be dubbed as a thriller, not a horror. Had I gone into it expecting a thriller, I may not have been so let down. This might be thought a horror movie by the 13 year old girl MTV crowd, but for the rest of us, it was a long, drawn out drama, leading to a few minor suspense scenes.

A decent movie to rent on video, but not worth inflated movie theater pricing.

Half a decent thriller

Author: WatchedAllMovies from United States
22 May 2013

The first half is pretty good. There is no guessing which direction the movie is going. Actually I guessed but guessed wrong.

Then when the cat is out of the bag, the movie became a typical slasher type movie, and the IQ of the good guys became lower. For example, why would a trained police entered a dark and unfamiliar house without calling for backup? Why would you crawl over someone holding a knife who looks unconscious, without taking any precaution? To their credit, the slasher's IQ was also lowered at two different moments in the movie. Why would you attack someone holding a gun and a flashlight head-on? Wouldn't it be better to attack from the back? The movie is frustratingly stupid. I wish writers could write a thriller with smarter good guys.

Underrated...

Author: Rich Wright
19 May 2013

The online buzz for this is pretty woeful, but I must have seen a different film. I found it a very well thought out horror, with a heroine who is no-ones idea of a damsel in distress, and a series of events which gripped from the off. One of the best aspects of it was the interactions between people felt real and human, unlike a host of similar films where it's all about the screams and gore quotient. This movie had a decent set-up, an arresting narrative and a final secret that I never saw coming.

Whether people found it too slow, or there wasn't enough action I don't know. But when I've seen a film, and I feel it succeeded in what it set out to do and I know I haven't wasted my time, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn... 7/10