IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 8 of 17: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Decent movie for what it is. A thriller.

Author: WubbaLubbaDubDub from United States
23 July 2015

Why House at the End of the Street is labeled under horror at all is beyond me. Looking for horror I decided to try this out. If I'd known I was watching just a thriller I wouldn't have felt unnecessary disappointment.

Jennifer Lawrence and Max Thieriot(Bates Motel) do a fine job in their performances even though you can tell they haven't quite earned their acting chops yet. The story moves pretty fast with not much low time but with no passion from the director the film feels copy and pasted mostly.

My biggest gripe would have to be that the most intriguing information we learn is saved for what feels like an after thought. It's very out of place.

If you like thrillers and don't come in with high expectations you'll have a good time.

Not as bad a movie as the majority suggests...

Author: jpajs14 from United States
27 May 2013

I want to start out by saying that this is by no means a 'good' thriller movie either. Although Jennifer Lawrence and Max Theriot both deliver decent performances, there are many moments of unrealism in the movie and obvious set-ups for jump scenes. I don't think hardly anyone could watch this movie without the word: "Cheesy" coming to mind at least once. Don't get me wrong, the storyline / plot is some-what creative and could have a lot of potential. This movie is not very scary though; there are absolutely no monsters, paranormal activity, or gruesome death scenes in this movie. The only scares come from the occasional 'surprise' jump scenes... which are obviously set-up every time as I mentioned- but then again, there aren't many horror movies now-a-days with completely unexpected scares. If you are a horror film buff looking for the really good ones; you'd probably want to skip this title. However, it is still enjoyable to watch and there are many, many horror movies worse than this one. 5.75 / 10 stars. Please check out all of my movie reviews at TheRightReviews.Weebly.Com

I enjoyed the twists, and the hunky male man. :P

Author: JLlo-yd from Australia
4 February 2013

The story itself to me wasn't as bad as what others have stated..although it is generalized into the overly used thriller/drama of a pretty teenager falling for the guy who has a past, ad who is dangerous. I enjoyed the idea that the handsome man who i later found out has been in two other movies i had liked (pacifier, and jumper) has a past, that you saw through flash backs as apposed through the normal story telling effect.

Although the original story is stated, and then manipulated the twists were in fact rather idealistic ..and fitted well within the story. SPOILERS: the idea that he himself had been punished and manipulated into becoming his sister due to her death, that the cop had covered up the death of the child, that the parents were druggos and had died a rather reparable death due to their actions (KARMA, and he had found girls and kidnapped them (explaining the apparent erratic behavior)

One of the most incredible films I have ever experienced - do not listen to the other reviews!

Author: annie-987-514477 from England
4 January 2015

Before watching any movie, I look it up on IMDb, in order to see if it is worth my time. I did so for 'House at the End of the Street' (2012), starring the phenomenal work of Jennifer Lawrence and Max Thieriot; and was extremely disappointed to find that it had only been awarded a measly 5.6/10. I then watched the trailer and was intrigued by the overview of the plot as well as the technical side of it, including the interesting camera angles and lighting/colouring of the movie.

Although it may appear to be a clichéd American 'tween' movie at the start, I can assure you that it is well worth sticking with. After reading some of the reviews, I can infer that one common issue or flaw with the movie is the fast or "choppy" pace, however, although fast, I believe that this movie was set at a perfect pace. It had the ideal and incomparable feature that it was fast, thus intriguing, but not too fast that one could not follow the plot.

Additionally, the plot was seamlessly structured, and was extremely unpredictable. The movie left me feeling unbelievably on-edge and somewhat frazzled - for the first time in a long time I actually found myself sitting on the edge of my seat.

In summary, this is one of the best films I have ever seen; and believe me when I say I have seen a lot of films! If you are looking for an intense, dark, dramatic thriller / horror, I strongly recommend this near-masterpiece of a film.

Lawrence of Suburbia.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
29 June 2014

A little better than its garbage reputation, as evidence by the support it got at the box office from its target audience, Mark Tonderai's horror/thriller is safe genre film making. There's no intelligence in the screenplay, no copious amounts of blood letting, the characters do dumb things and in truth it unfolds as a standard girl in peril movie. These things are what have led to it being savaged by critics, but backed by a trio of strong performance from Jennifer Lawrence, Elisabeth Shue and Max Thieriot, boosted by a genuine narrative surprise and the fact that Tonderai is able to do the peril motifs with suspenseful impact, ensures House at the End of the Street is at least a decent enough time waster. 5/10

I LOVED this movie!

Author: Samantha Sprigg from United Kingdom
30 May 2014

Not the kind of film i would usually watch I thought when reading the summary but by the end I had decided it was the best film I had seen in a long time. The story line was brilliant and I really wasn't expecting the twists and I am usually quite good at that! Full on girl crush on Jennifer and full on boy crush on Max. I really wanted it to work out for them in the end they were such a good couple but I suppose it would have been impossible! Definitely worth a watch for anyone. Loved it! I can see Jenifer going really far with her career. Can't say I have seen a film she was in that wasn't brilliant (hardcore Hunger Games fan :). I'm new to Max but seen a couple of films he is in and can't say I have yet to be disappointed. Wasn't too keen on the mum character think her family story could have been a bit better thought out but that's by and by in the story I suppose. Thanks for the read (first review written by the way) :)

Clever use of horror elements in gripping story

Author: Anthony Ehlers from South Africa
18 March 2014

Horrors are often seen as mindless gore fests and, for the most part, they are. They are genre-driven escapism and to find a fresh angle in the genre is not always easy.

House at the End of the Street manages to do that. It manages to play with the archetype of the home – either temporary, displaced, forgotten – in a way that creeps us out. The corruption of the home is a familiar device to create horror and suspense – and the writers and directors use it for maximum effect.

The stereotype of girl-in-danger is played out with a strong female heroine Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence), who has a strong personality, courage and quiet charisma. It is not clichéd or predictable. Ryan (Max Thieriot) as the troubled neighbour has the vulnerability of a child, but also can portray menace.

The idea of the monster-in-us-all is cleverly used and leads to a well-written and paced twist in the story.

The House at the End of the Street used storytelling to grab us rather than cheap tricks or f/x. It has mystery rather blood to keep us enthralled.

To be sure, it is not a great movie but works well as Friday night in and is well pitched at a younger audience. Worth a look.

J-Law makes the movie.

Author: caramccumber from Australia
29 January 2014

I really didn't think I was going to enjoy this movie. From the title to the cover photo, it screamed 'teen slasher flick'. However from the moment J-Law graces the screen I was hooked! The movie really plays to your heart strings, dragging you to the edge of your seat till the last minute. I even found myself doing an internet for a song sung by Jennifer's character in the movie, I was disappointed to find it is not her singing, however the song is really fantastic and very out of the box for the slasher style move.

I think this once again proves that if you want a good movie - get Jennifer Lawrence!

Delivers More Than Expected

Author: cinemaniac2002 from Chicago, IL
19 January 2014

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to the teen horror flick genre, which I assumed this was. I was wrong. It became available for me to watch - so I thought "Why not?" I've grown to like Jennifer Lawrence's work - so I figured I just may like it.

What I thought would be predictable actually had enough substance to keep me interested, which is rare in this type of film. But then, I already admitted that this was not, in reality the type of film I thought it would be. That is, a film directed mostly at teens. I'm sure they were going for the teen audience and got it, but as an adult, I was pleasantly surprised by the writing and acting.

The story line starts with a mother and daughter, retreating to the woods in a gorgeous home with low rent, due to a tragedy that took place at the house next door. Mother and daughter have their own crosses to bear and relationship to heal after somewhat of an estrangement, which provides the tension necessary for rebellion (not that a teen ever needed that to rebel).

While mother thought the house was empty, she is soon alarmed to learn that the sole survivor of the tragedy, a brooding young man, now lives alone in the creepy house. A little factoid that apparently she was not told by her slimy realtor (who has an equally slimy son). Buyers and renters beware: It just goes to show you, "if it is too good to be true, it probably is."

And, you guessed it, her daughter becomes enamored with him the next door brooder. It would at first seem, simply because her mother doesn't want her to. It makes sense though, because recovering wounded birds such as her daughter often seek to help others as part of their own therapy.

As usual, Lawrence has a naturally disarming screen presence that serves to add credibility to an otherwise, what may seem to be a questionable situation. But life is stranger than fiction, so I never felt entirely comfortable dismissing story lines the same way that so many others do. For those people, I say go watch some documentaries; movies for entertainment, by their very nature - were meant to be less than plausible.

The creepy boy next door does have shades of Norman Bates, but that similarity is limited. But instead of his mother, his fixation turns out to be on his long-dead sister. Or is she really dead? Truth is, I found this film entertaining and was not bored for one minute. I don't know what that says about me, but I don't mind admitting that I really enjoyed watching this film and found the final twist very well written, presented and quite satisfying. And it wasn't painful to watch the entire movie to get to the truth.

underrated whatsoever!

Author: shathar_o from Jordan
18 January 2014

House at the end of the street is a pretty crazy unpredictable psychological horror; it's terrific and terrifying. one of the little movies i enjoy watching. i love this movie because it's my favorite type of horror; the one with a new neighbors coming to a creepy house or a creepy neighborhood with a psycho touch; it couldn't go better. it's almost perfect for it's type; it's a massive mind-blowing and jaw-dropping; both performances of Lawrence and Thieriot are amazing; the story line was so one in a million; i liked it and i don't care about what everyone says; i recommend it without hesitating, and it should get more attention because everyone would love it.