IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 7 of 17: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

....worst horror movie of my life....

Author: emomomotional from Oklahoma
13 May 2013

Not scary; not interesting; not ever getting those 2 hours of my life back... Wow, that movie was bad...

I've never been so... un-impressed.

You feel like you're being lead up to a climax the entire movie but I feel like the actual climax wasn't even climactic... Seriously, this is a terrible movie- but an EMPHATICALLY bad horror movie.

Good actors; good budget- bad film. I am so annoyed that I just wasted that money. Ugh.

I wouldn't have watched this movie for free and I'm twice as annoyed to have paid for it...

Not Woth the Money.

Author: noemiwrites
30 September 2012

WARNING: There are spoilers in this review.

The very name of the movie should turn you away.

The movie begins with a girl walking down a dark hallway, knocking over a lamp and table, the parents wake up, the mother checks on her, the mother dies, then the father. Fast forward four years and a mother and daughter move in next door from Chicago. At this point, it seems somewhat interesting. However, the rest of it, isn't.

I expected it to be a grudge type thing maybe, but I didn't expect it to be so ... cliché. I do like Jennifer Lawrence, and I wanted to like the movie, but there is a line. She was pretty good, her character wasn't bad, but the supporting cast/characters could have been more developed ... more ... just more.

The twists in this just gave me a headache. The whole movie felt like it was rushed and overly-clichéd and it just wasn't at all what I had expected it to be. I'll admit that some of the scenes looked cool and could make some good gifs for graphics later on. It wasn't worth $9.00 and I really wish I could get my money back.

Pleasantly surprised

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
23 September 2012

I had no intention of going to see House at the End of the Street, which from here on out I will refer to as HATES like everybody else. The trailer, as many have mentioned, made it seem like another paper copy, cliché teen horror flick that would play off of many other horrors in the sense that the characters are insipid and the plot is non-existent. I had a friend offer to buy my ticket for me and so of course I could not say no to that regardless of what we were seeing, which I did not know at first. When she told me we where seeing HATES I felt uninspired about the whole idea.

The movie starts off a little shaky, the opening sequence and a couple of scenes there on getting no more from me than mild interest and a brow raise or two. However, HATES is very nice in setting up it's big climax scenes and story twists. The main character, played excellently by Jennifer Lawrence, is likable, in the sense that she feels real in the way she interacts with her mother and moving to a new home and school, and doesn't teeter too far towards a socially inept emo kid, but not a total goody goody either and I am beginning to think Jennifer Lawrence is very capable of choosing good roles that she knows she will be able to tackle. (Loved her in The Hunger Games and X-Men: First Class) The mother, played by Elisabeth Shue, was protective, caring, but not overbearing and has made plenty mistakes in her past in her daughters eyes and their connection is almost impeccable.

When Max Thieriot's character is introduced, who gave a passable performance as well, it starts to get more entertaining. You wonder what exactly is going on in the house down the street and whether what the writers are wanting you to believe is really true. It is sad in the fact that I had the movie figured out halfway through, but that still did not sway my interest because HATES keeps you wondering exactly how the main dilemma is going to exhume itself. I was interested enough in the steady build up and atmosphere of the movie that the plot, which was not cinematic gold but deserves a worthy thumbs up, was overshadowed. However, that was not a step in either direction of mediocrity or brilliance for me, and the movie pays off one or the other after it's over.

I feel like I should say more, but HATES is a movie that if I explain too much might give away all the promising, solid qualities it has to offer. Is it amazing? No. Was it worth the ticket price? I did not pay for it, so I don't really care, but I will say that if you are any bit interested, go see it. I would definitely not have a problem with watching it again if someone brought it up later on after DVD release, and it is a lot better than a lot of the "horror" tripe released from 2000-2010.

Not worth the money

Author: vampvixenluna13 from United States
21 September 2012

This movie was too predictable, the only time I jumped was at the beginning, but from there you can guess what is going to happen next and what is going on. To get a good thrill go out and rent some of the old slasher films like Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the thirteenth. Or for just a good Spook Rent The Ring, 5ive girls, Doom, Silent Hill Series, Pet Semetery, Children of The Corn, Rose Red, IT, Graveyard Shift,Lake Placid. Or go even further back for a giggle like The Blob, Birds,Chucky. If planning this for a date night, don't do it. Wait 'til Halloween for the newest Silent hill movie, or even wait 'til Sinister comes out. Trust me and plan something else more worth while.

Worst movie I have seen this year...complete wastage of 2 hours and $6.50

Author: lakatosjason from India
22 September 2012

Are you kidding???? Is this a "Horror movie"? I had to work really hard to stay awake. 100% piece of junk. Horribly poor storyline. I am sure people have seen that kind of story in about 5000 trash D graded horror movies. Do not not even think about going to the theater to watch this movie. Despite of being bored I was hoping that the movie would give some really shocking surprise that would keep me astonished and spellbound. But I was wrong. I could easily predict what was going to happen and that was exactly what happened. After seeing this movie I am getting really skeptical about going to the theater and watch a movie on the first day. I should really wait for at least 10 days before watching a movie. I don't know how people gave a higher that 6 rating to this movie. It deserves a 1.0 at most.

A decent thriller

Author: amei-41315
15 April 2016

The movie was not as bad as a lot of other people say it is. The acting was decent from the two main actors Jennifer Lawrence and Max Theirot, and the story itself was well paced and contained a major twist.

The cons of the film come from the plot holes including the part in the beginning where the child possesses unnatural strength to kill two adult which does not make sense. And why would the kid still live in the house his parents were killed? These are some of the few important questions that weren't fully explained.

Some people may say the twist was cliché and predictable but for me, the performances and suspense built throughout the film compensated for it.

A great thriller

Author: mary-179-677383 from Australia
1 April 2016

I really enjoyed this movie. I also did not predict this movie at all. I can normally predict a movie and say, "yep, this is going to happen" but with this movie what I thought wasn't correct and hence why it was a great movie. Obviously if you read the spoilers, you won't be shocked and it will take away from this movie. I won't give any spoilers, but it is definitely worth watching.

I gave it a 8 because it lacked character development and it is never really explains why the town people really hate Ryan, considering he moved away when he was 7 and returned only after his parents were murdered by his sister.

A really great thriller!

Author: Davis P from United States
18 December 2015

House at the end of the street (2010) is a very well made and entertaining mystery thriller. Jennifer Lawrence and Elisabeth Shue are both great in this film, along with the rest of the cast. The movie is very well shot and well written. The script is not like Oscar worthy, but it certainly isn't bad by any means. The thrill and tense scenes in this movie are very scary and truly creepy. There are certain twists in the plot here, which were very well done and clever. There is one twist that I sure didn't see coming. I really loved the characters in this movie! The script, cast, plot twists, and plot are all really great and all work together to make a really good movie. The environment is creepy and scary to set the mood for a thrilling horror, which this definitely is! This is just a good fun ride and a fun creepy horror movie. 9/10

Decent movie for what it is. A thriller.

Author: WubbaLubbaDubDub from United States
23 July 2015

Why House at the End of the Street is labeled under horror at all is beyond me. Looking for horror I decided to try this out. If I'd known I was watching just a thriller I wouldn't have felt unnecessary disappointment.

Jennifer Lawrence and Max Thieriot(Bates Motel) do a fine job in their performances even though you can tell they haven't quite earned their acting chops yet. The story moves pretty fast with not much low time but with no passion from the director the film feels copy and pasted mostly.

My biggest gripe would have to be that the most intriguing information we learn is saved for what feels like an after thought. It's very out of place.

If you like thrillers and don't come in with high expectations you'll have a good time.

Not as bad a movie as the majority suggests...

Author: jpajs14 from United States
27 May 2013

I want to start out by saying that this is by no means a 'good' thriller movie either. Although Jennifer Lawrence and Max Theriot both deliver decent performances, there are many moments of unrealism in the movie and obvious set-ups for jump scenes. I don't think hardly anyone could watch this movie without the word: "Cheesy" coming to mind at least once. Don't get me wrong, the storyline / plot is some-what creative and could have a lot of potential. This movie is not very scary though; there are absolutely no monsters, paranormal activity, or gruesome death scenes in this movie. The only scares come from the occasional 'surprise' jump scenes... which are obviously set-up every time as I mentioned- but then again, there aren't many horror movies now-a-days with completely unexpected scares. If you are a horror film buff looking for the really good ones; you'd probably want to skip this title. However, it is still enjoyable to watch and there are many, many horror movies worse than this one. 5.75 / 10 stars. Please check out all of my movie reviews at TheRightReviews.Weebly.Com