IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 7 of 15: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A great movie

Author: kcoelho89 from Portugal
6 February 2013

I know, I know, 9 of 10 stars is way too much for a horror movie. I know it's not a inception, or a Argo, but the truth is, I loved it anyway. It's was so much entertaining!

Jennifer Lawrence's a great actress. She did well on this movie (as she always does). Max Thieriot as Ryan impressed me too. I won't tell you anything about the story. What I can say is "Don't give too much attention on some reviews in here, the movie's great"!

If you're looking for some kinda of gore movie, that's not the good movie for you. But if you're looking for a well written movie, with good acting, a lot of suspense, if you're looking for a great thriller, with some scary moments, and, of course, if you love Jennifer Lawrence (lol), than go for it, you'll love it ;)

Just an OK thriller!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
14 October 2012

The movie does have it's moments. And that Jennifer Lawrence whom I predict will be a huge star. After her turn in "The Hunger Games" as the 22-year old plays a 17-year old senior and musician. Who along with her now divorced mother(Elisabeth Shue), move to out in the country side that is mostly dark and gray. In hopes of starting anew.

Lawrence's character becomes very intrigued by a loner played by Max Theriot. Who saw his parents being murdered by his sister years earlier. His neighbors hate him for not selling the house and for keeping their own neighborhood value down along the way.

But Theriot won't sell it for reasons you have to see. As he is holding secrets in the house. But everybody think that he is such a weirdo. But she becomes intrigued with him despite her mother's reservations and warnings.

But Lawrence feels that Theriot needs a friend. And that the secrets he has in the house that could threaten their relationship even more.

It is OK. Only saw it as Lawrence saves the movie. Shue had scenes that were limited but she does the best that she knows how. Movie was kind of dark and creepy. But still, Lawrence is the reason to see this film.

A good and entertaining movie but I wouldn't call it a real horror. Worth watching & I did like it but not what I expected. I say B+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
7 January 2013

"Sometimes people can't be fixed." Sarah (Shue) and her daughter Elissa (Lawrence) have just moved to a new town. They love their new house and the new friends they have made. They did move next door to a house that 4 years ago was the site of a brutal double murder. They were assured that the killer was dead, but sometimes people don't know the whole story. This is not a bad movie at all, I wouldn't say its that scary but I did enjoy it. The one big problem with this is that there were a lot of parts that seemed to drag and didn't really move the story forward. I think the problem was that the story was really a good half hour TV show type plot that tried to make it into a full length movie. That doesn't always work. I'm not saying not to watch because it is worth watching but don't go in expecting a full on horror movie. Overall a good movie that is worth seeing but not what I expected. I give it a B+.

Great movie, a little too predictable though

Author: PrincessPeachx from United States
10 January 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, as did my boyfriend. We are both huge horror/thriller fans, so we were looking forward to watching this.

Let me just say that the marketing for this film was ALL wrong. The movie is more of a thriller/suspense/mystery than a horror. Upon viewing the trailer, I thought HATEOTS would feature ghosts, a demon, or some shadow creatures. But no, there's none of that.

The movie starts off slow, with little action. You are introduced to the characters and to the main story line: the surviving son of the murdered couple, Ryan, is feared and rejected by neighbors who outcast him from social functions. Alyssa, the new girl in town, befriends him and slowly begins to develop feelings for the sensitive, tortured soul. The two grow closer, but soon Ryan's odd behavior makes Alyssa question everything about his past and their future.

The film is interestingly made, with some extremely beautiful cinematography and, at other times, some experimental, "new-age" shots. At some points, I felt the film couldn't decide what direction/genre it wanted to take. There were extremely scary/gory parts (the beginning), suspense bits (the end), and dream-like sequences (the end).

The movie was also somewhat predictable. If you've seen particular movies with "twists" at the end, in all likelihood, you'll know how this one ends. I guessed a large part of the mystery after about 20 minutes but the twist is so complex that I didn't have the rest figured out until the end.

If I could compare this movie to another one, it reminded me A LOT of Disturbia (with Shia Labeouf). I love that movie, so it made HATEOTS even better :-)

I would recommend this movie interested in suspense/thriller/mystery movies. If you go into watching this movie thinking you'll see Friday the 13th, Saw, Hostel, or a Possession type movie with a lot of blood, scares, and creepy moments, you'll be disappointed. This movie is creepy for what it is, and it's quite enjoyable. 8/10

Excellent Movie

Author: Filipe Gomes Genu from Brazil
7 January 2013

I actually found the incredible story of the film. The script was well worked, the actors were very well. Maybe lacked a bit of suspense or terror, but did not leave the story less interesting.

At the beginning of the film, the actor Max Thieriot makes believe that Ryan was a boy hardened by the death of his parents, but seemed to be a boy seemingly harmless.

The end really is fantastic, with great revelations of Ryan, who do understand a little of his life story

I do not regret having watched, and would recommend to anyone who likes the genre of horror or suspense!

Favorite movie of 2012

Author: emma2015
31 December 2012

very suspenseful! Very scary! And you will never see the ending coming! Favorite movie of the year if your love suspense and a little scare. Not much gore just great and creepy on its own. Cant wait for it to come out on on demand so I can watch it with all my friends. My favorite movie of the year :) Please watch it! I cant imagine anyone being unsatisfied! For days i replayed the ending in my head mulling it over and am still satisfied and intrigued by it. I watched it in theaters but it seems like a great rainy day movie too. Hope you watch it and enjoy! I took my friend to the theater and we were both curled in balls in out seats with pure fascination and fright.

I was pleasantly surprised, better than its rating might suggest.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
6 February 2013

I see almost all movies my public library buys and this is one of them. Plus I have become a fan of sorts of Jennifer Lawrence, the camera really loves her face, she is a natural to become a real "movie star." While I certainly would not put this movie in my list of top movies, it is rather well made and the story held my attention.

The rest of my comments contain SPOILERS so don't read further if you haven't seen the movie.

The first 4 1/2 minutes take us right into the center of the mystery, we see a daughter of maybe 13 or 14 kill her mother in the home then go into the bedroom and kill her father, then she runs away through the woods. Later we are told she was presumed to have drowned.

It is now 4 years later, Jennifer Lawrence is teenager Elissa, she and her mother, Elisabeth Shue as Sarah , are moving from Chicago to this area and are renting the house just a short distance away, through a small stand of trees. They are told the house is vacant but Sarah sees a light on late one night. It turns out the deceased family's son, Max Thieriot as Ryan, lives there apparently alone. But we find out he isn't alone, he is keeping his sister Carrie Ann hidden in a basement room, apparently taking care of her.

But nothing is as it seems to be, as Elissa finds Ryan smart, gentle and interesting, we find out he is actually deranged. When his sister had actually died in a childhood swing accident, in flashbacks we see that his parents blamed him and tried to raise him as their daughter. It was actually Ryan dressed like a girl that had killed his parents during the night, and in present time he kidnaps teenage girls, imprisons them in his hidden basement room, puts blue contacts on them, and calls them Carrie Ann, his deceased sister. When he accidentally kills one he disposes of the body then gets another one. It seems Elissa might be next.

In the final scenes Elissa breaks free of her restraints, while Sarah comes looking for her, and together they get the upper hand, just barely. As the movie ends Ryan is in a mental ward.

scary and plausible explanation

Author: jsharma from new york
5 October 2012

I am glad I saw the movie House at the end of the street . Directed by Mark Tonderaai, the movie is scary, edited well and has pleasant cast. Jennifer Lawrence as Elissa , Elisabeth Shue as Elissa's mom Sarah and Max Thieriot as Ryan are the most important characters in the movie. Carrie Anne as Ryan's sister is associated with spooky music, gory scenes and noises. I particularly liked the last scene when Ryan tells his mom he is not Carrie Anne. Excellent editing. very scary. Jennifer Lawrence did very well in Winter's bone& Hunger games. Max Thieriot as the quiet type Ryan did very well ( in some scenes he reminded me of Anthony Perkins in Psycho. i enjoyed the movie and was scared during many scenes.

A Thriller Film and not a Horror Film.

Author: justin_caunan from Philippines
13 February 2013

House at the End of the Street or HATES is a good film. But it is not a horror flick. It is a suspense thriller with twists and turns until you lose your mind thinking.

Let's talk about the movie. The acting is good. The jump scares are infrequent, but good and really scare me sometimes (one jump scare is really expected). The plot is I like, because it is really keeps me thinking. What I don't like is the 1 hour and 35 minutes long running time and it is very long.

But still, a great film even it is not listed at my list of greatest movies of 2012.

Pleasantly surprised

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
23 September 2012

I had no intention of going to see House at the End of the Street, which from here on out I will refer to as HATES like everybody else. The trailer, as many have mentioned, made it seem like another paper copy, cliché teen horror flick that would play off of many other horrors in the sense that the characters are insipid and the plot is non-existent. I had a friend offer to buy my ticket for me and so of course I could not say no to that regardless of what we were seeing, which I did not know at first. When she told me we where seeing HATES I felt uninspired about the whole idea.

The movie starts off a little shaky, the opening sequence and a couple of scenes there on getting no more from me than mild interest and a brow raise or two. However, HATES is very nice in setting up it's big climax scenes and story twists. The main character, played excellently by Jennifer Lawrence, is likable, in the sense that she feels real in the way she interacts with her mother and moving to a new home and school, and doesn't teeter too far towards a socially inept emo kid, but not a total goody goody either and I am beginning to think Jennifer Lawrence is very capable of choosing good roles that she knows she will be able to tackle. (Loved her in The Hunger Games and X-Men: First Class) The mother, played by Elisabeth Shue, was protective, caring, but not overbearing and has made plenty mistakes in her past in her daughters eyes and their connection is almost impeccable.

When Max Thieriot's character is introduced, who gave a passable performance as well, it starts to get more entertaining. You wonder what exactly is going on in the house down the street and whether what the writers are wanting you to believe is really true. It is sad in the fact that I had the movie figured out halfway through, but that still did not sway my interest because HATES keeps you wondering exactly how the main dilemma is going to exhume itself. I was interested enough in the steady build up and atmosphere of the movie that the plot, which was not cinematic gold but deserves a worthy thumbs up, was overshadowed. However, that was not a step in either direction of mediocrity or brilliance for me, and the movie pays off one or the other after it's over.

I feel like I should say more, but HATES is a movie that if I explain too much might give away all the promising, solid qualities it has to offer. Is it amazing? No. Was it worth the ticket price? I did not pay for it, so I don't really care, but I will say that if you are any bit interested, go see it. I would definitely not have a problem with watching it again if someone brought it up later on after DVD release, and it is a lot better than a lot of the "horror" tripe released from 2000-2010.