IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 6 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

As dumb as bricks

Author: the_wolf_imdb from Prague
30 December 2014

Was this supposed to be a thriller? A horror movie? Every character is incredibly dumb and everyone totally fails to communicate. Everyone is psychopath, drunk, idiot or whore. There is not a single sympathetic character in the movie, period. Everyone and I really mean everyone made me just sick.

The female character played by Jennifer Lawrence is incredibly, insanely stupid. I mean a lot of beyond "Darwinian candidate level stupid". I think this is really a very bad spot on her career that will be hopefully forgotten.

The moment that made me laugh in the very bizarre moment was she tries to remove the straps by burning them on the light bulb. She tries to burn them for a pretty long period of time. Hello? Have you ever suffered a burn by a light bulb? You would have to be a Hero of Soviet Union class macho to sustain this! Yet she manages to free herself only to make several incredibly bad decisions after that.

Please, stop to make such idiotic TV shows. Please, do not make such crap anymore or at least mark them as "ultra dumb waste of time for a brainless audience". I feel very sorry for everyone who wasted his money on this.

Totally sucked.

Author: theplotinyou-audrey from Memphis
7 August 2013

First of all. This is movie isn't "horror" so I don't really know why it's under the horror category. I only watched the movie because personally I think Jennifer Lawrence is a good actress and I thought it would be good. It doesn't even have a good ending and it's just so irrelevant... I feel like I wasted my valuable time watching it. But, I don't blame Jennifer though. Her acting as good but as for rest of the characters, they sucked at playing their roles. The plot and everything could have been just so much better... The trailer makes it seem like it's just a big deal of a movie and so much entertaining; when it's not. But whatever.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
26 May 2013

House at The End of The Street is another ambitious, low budget, Horror film, that tries to make a name for itself by using star power, but how much was I really expecting from a PG-13 Horror film? The story begins when Elissa and her mother move to a new house in the country, a house that is across the street from the scene of a grizzly double murder four years earlier. The house and story is surrounded by rumors and still occupied by the son of the victims, who Elissa quickly befriends. Once again we have a common theme that has been done to death, but the producers of this film were hoping that by spending big bucks on Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games) and Max Thieriot (Bates Motel) that they could get people to watch their film and it worked, but I suspect most people were sadly disappointing like I was. The acting was terrific and everything you would expect from these actors, but the story was so simple and predictable that it really wasn't worth watching. Being a PG-13 film didn't help either as there wasn't really anything too horrific or creepy to really catch your attention. If that wasn't bad enough, the first hour of the film was so slow, that I almost turned it off. The only thing that kind of gave me a laugh was that there was a lot of scenes with Jennifer Lawrence in the woods and I couldn't help but think that Katniss wished she had her bow. House at The End of The Street is a film that has the star power, but not much else, as it's a slow, tame, predictable film, that's been done and it leaves far too many unanswered questions. If you're a die hard Jennifer Lawrence fan, check it out, otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time on this one.

"I Fought J-Law And J-Law Won...."

Author: ferbs54 from United States
13 May 2013

Although actress Jennifer Lawrence had appeared in several television programs and seven theatrical films prior to 2012, few could have foreseen the magnitude of her breakthrough that year. While it is true that critics had praised her work in 2010's "Winter's Bone," her career was most assuredly catapulted into the stratosphere by a pair of films that bracketed 2012. Bringing to life the Katniss Everdeen character in "The Hunger Games," she helped propel that March release to an almost $700 million worldwide gross; the No. 3 film of that year, after "The Avengers" and "The Dark Knight Rises." In November, her portrayal of Tiffany Maxwell in "Silver Linings Playbook" earned her a well-deserved Best Actress Oscar...the second-youngest winner of that august award (at age 22) in history, after Marlee Matlin. Less remembered for Jennifer that year, but still an unqualified hit with a domestic gross of $42 million, was the film "House at the End of the Street," which was released in September but had been filmed two years earlier, around the time of "Winter's Bone." And Jennifer's millions of fans around the world should not be surprised to learn that this earlier film shows the then-20-year-old actress evincing just as much intelligence, grit, talent and remarkable good looks as they have recently come to expect.

In the film, Jennifer plays the part of Elissa Cassidy, who, along with her divorced mother, Sarah (1995 Oscar nominee Elisabeth Shue), moves from the big town of Chicago to the picturesque suburban community of Woodshire. They are able to afford the large, rambling abode that they move into only because it happens to be situated next to a house where a double homicide had occurred four years earlier. It seems that little Carrie-Ann Jacobson had murdered both her parents and then drowned in the local dam, although her body had never been recovered. Elissa soon befriends the only family survivor, Ryan Jacobson (a memorable performance here from Max Thieriot), a quiet, sensitive youth who lives alone in the house and is fixing up the place in the hopes of selling it. Well, to be perfectly honest, Ryan doesn't live ENTIRELY alone, and those viewers who have seen such previous "wacko relative in the attic" films as "The Shuttered Room" (1967) and "The Beast in the Cellar" (1971) might have an inkling where this film is headed. But they would be dead wrong, as this film takes a couple of very surprising twists and pulls the rug out from under for all concerned...especially for poor Elissa! "People don't notice all the secrets around them, even though they're right in front of them," Ryan tells Elissa early on, and future events in the film surely do bear that statement out!

Besides those two British films just mentioned, "House at the End of the Street" also brings to mind, in sections, such wonderful horror outings as "Psycho" and "Wait Until Dark." The film turns remarkably suspenseful in its final 1/2 hour or so, and I must confess that my stomach was in knots by the time it was all over. Director Mark Tonderai, whose previous work I am wholly unfamiliar with, does a fine job at keeping his film moving, and his camera work is fluid and mobile, to say the least! The film looks just fine, too, with superior production values; flashily shot, and making nice use of its Metcalfe, Ontario locales. (Is this film an American or Canadian production? Judging by the end credits, my guess would be a joint production, but I'm really not certain on this point.) It is certainly well acted by all concerned, and is a fine exemplar of intelligent, modern-day and realistic horror. (And for those viewers who might pooh-pooh this last statement, as to the film's realism, I would simply cite the stunning events that transpired in Cleveland just this past week!) Still, good as the film is, its main selling point remains its young star, Jennifer Lawrence, who most assuredly "steals the show." Though she doesn't get to wield a bow and arrow in this film, "Hunger Games" fans will be happy to learn that she yet manages to give a very physical performance here: running, jumping through windows, shooting a gun, fighting and kicking and so on. I am tempted to say that Jennifer has all the makings of a great "scream queen," but for the fact that--amazingly enough, given all the horrible things that she encounters during the film--Elissa does not scream once...not even when locked in a car trunk along with what may very well be a female corpse! A tough, smart and beautiful heroine, to be sure; no wonder a drunken teen lustfully says to her at one point, "You're pretty." Gorgeous and naturally talented (it's astounding that Jennifer has never taken any acting classes!), and only 22 years old as I write this...what a bright future Ms. Lawrence has, unless, of course, she foolishly goes down the Lohan route, which I highly doubt she will. In talk show interviews, Jennifer comes across as a bright, funny, self-deprecating and levelheaded actress; no wonder she is so hugely successful and popular! Anyway, I'd say forget about that overrated (in every regard) J-Lo and stick with J-Law! She's the real deal, and makes this already fine horror outing something truly special. And oh...try watching this film a second time, after learning its many surprising secrets. You'll surely see events with a whole new slant, I promise you....

A fresh, but stressful starting over.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
19 March 2013

Recently divorced Sarah(Elisabeth Shue) and her daughter Elissa(Jennifer Lawrence)seeking to start life over, purchase a dream home in an upscale, secluded town bordering a wooded state park. Starting over proves to get stressful when teenage Elissa learns the house down the street was the site of a double murder.The atmosphere of the move changes when Elissa befriends the murder victim's son Ryan(Max Theriot). Mild mannered Ryan seems to be hiding very dark secrets in that house at the end of the street. This thriller has what it takes to keep you guessing. I love Jennifer Lawrence, but she seems a little bland after seeing her Oscar winning role in SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK. Also in the cast:James Thomas, Eva Link, Gil Bellows, Nolan Gerard Funk and Alli MacDonald.

Good movie but an oversight makes it less likable

Author: tab98
5 February 2013

I liked House at the End of the Street and I don't see what the fuss is about. It's the best film from this genre I have ever seen. I liked American Horror Story on FX and The Following on Fox even though they are not films (I'm not restricted to those two stations but they own my favorites at this time).

The story line was good and it had a lot of twists. I don't recall ever jumping from my seat so many times in one movie. There were a lot of good parts to House at the End of the Street so why not 10/10? The simple reason is at the end, a police officer investigates The House at the End of the Street and the man occupying it turns the lights off and gets ready to kill the officer. He ends up killing the officer but it was messy and just not swift. Why didn't the cop call code 6 on his radio? Backup may be sparse in little towns but he did have a radio so there might have been at least one other officer in the area.

To many it may not be as big of a deal but for a horror movie House at the End of the Street was fantastic and it is comparable to many good movies I have seen in the past. It's scary and well told, I say watch it.

Decent thriller

Author: Tom147 from England
20 October 2014

I'm not really a fan of horror films but I watched this anyway as I was round a friends house. I was pleased to find out that in the end it was more of a mystery/thriller rather than a horror. There was only really one scene that made me jump and that wasn't so bad.

It's quite an atmospheric film with good suspense build up music throughout. The acting was OK overall, Jennifer Lawrence and Max Thieriot were both very good though. They had pretty good chemistry at the beginning and also done the more shocking scenes quite well.

There are some pretty grim scenes but nothing too graphic, its mostly just atmospheric with a good twist towards the end. Nothing original but it was a decent enough movie to watch.

7/10.

Surprisingly well-made and creepy

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks (gasmaskproductionsbooks@gmail.com) from Canada
15 August 2014

When I saw the trailer for this film I thought it would be just another bad 21st century horror film. After watching it, I stood corrected! The ending was a lot like the 1983 film Sleepaway Camp; the young boy living in the decrepit home at the end of the street, after his sister died his parents tried dressing him up as a girl; it confused him to the point of insanity and he murdered his family, which was a complete surprise to me, I never expected it! It was incredibly creepy, soundtrack that really fit the scenes, great acting and lots of suspense. I highly recommend The House at the End of the Street, it's an amazing film for these days! 2012 spawned that god-awful Hunger Games piece of garbage so I was cautious of this movie, but it was shockingly amazing!

Lawrence is great but ultimately can't save this movie.

Author: Bruce722 from United States
6 August 2013

As far as thriller/horror films go, House at the End of the Street wasn't all that bad. Jennifer Lawrence is amazing as usual. Her stunning and unique look combined with her incredible range as an actress means she provides a solid lead, regardless of the plot. Speaking of which, this one actually had a halfway decent premise with some real potential. I think the movie ultimately fell apart for the lazy writing that led to a poor execution of the plot and the mediocre supporting cast. Elisabeth Shue leads a lot to be desired as the worrisome mother and Max Thieriot just doesn't deliver. A major part of the lazy writing I referenced earlier is the clichéd "person gets themselves into trouble by being stupid" element that plagues so many of these movies. Lawrence's character might be among the nosiest I've ever seen in a movie. I leave it at that but I will say, it's tough for a movie to be suspenseful when you spend more time aggravated at the characters than you do worried for their safety.

....worst horror movie of my life....

Author: emomomotional from Oklahoma
13 May 2013

Not scary; not interesting; not ever getting those 2 hours of my life back... Wow, that movie was bad...

I've never been so... un-impressed.

You feel like you're being lead up to a climax the entire movie but I feel like the actual climax wasn't even climactic... Seriously, this is a terrible movie- but an EMPHATICALLY bad horror movie.

Good actors; good budget- bad film. I am so annoyed that I just wasted that money. Ugh.

I wouldn't have watched this movie for free and I'm twice as annoyed to have paid for it...