IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 5 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Delivers More Than Expected

Author: cinemaniac2002 from Chicago, IL
19 January 2014

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to the teen horror flick genre, which I assumed this was. I was wrong. It became available for me to watch - so I thought "Why not?" I've grown to like Jennifer Lawrence's work - so I figured I just may like it.

What I thought would be predictable actually had enough substance to keep me interested, which is rare in this type of film. But then, I already admitted that this was not, in reality the type of film I thought it would be. That is, a film directed mostly at teens. I'm sure they were going for the teen audience and got it, but as an adult, I was pleasantly surprised by the writing and acting.

The story line starts with a mother and daughter, retreating to the woods in a gorgeous home with low rent, due to a tragedy that took place at the house next door. Mother and daughter have their own crosses to bear and relationship to heal after somewhat of an estrangement, which provides the tension necessary for rebellion (not that a teen ever needed that to rebel).

While mother thought the house was empty, she is soon alarmed to learn that the sole survivor of the tragedy, a brooding young man, now lives alone in the creepy house. A little factoid that apparently she was not told by her slimy realtor (who has an equally slimy son). Buyers and renters beware: It just goes to show you, "if it is too good to be true, it probably is."

And, you guessed it, her daughter becomes enamored with him the next door brooder. It would at first seem, simply because her mother doesn't want her to. It makes sense though, because recovering wounded birds such as her daughter often seek to help others as part of their own therapy.

As usual, Lawrence has a naturally disarming screen presence that serves to add credibility to an otherwise, what may seem to be a questionable situation. But life is stranger than fiction, so I never felt entirely comfortable dismissing story lines the same way that so many others do. For those people, I say go watch some documentaries; movies for entertainment, by their very nature - were meant to be less than plausible.

The creepy boy next door does have shades of Norman Bates, but that similarity is limited. But instead of his mother, his fixation turns out to be on his long-dead sister. Or is she really dead? Truth is, I found this film entertaining and was not bored for one minute. I don't know what that says about me, but I don't mind admitting that I really enjoyed watching this film and found the final twist very well written, presented and quite satisfying. And it wasn't painful to watch the entire movie to get to the truth.

underrated whatsoever!

Author: shathar_o from Jordan
18 January 2014

House at the end of the street is a pretty crazy unpredictable psychological horror; it's terrific and terrifying. one of the little movies i enjoy watching. i love this movie because it's my favorite type of horror; the one with a new neighbors coming to a creepy house or a creepy neighborhood with a psycho touch; it couldn't go better. it's almost perfect for it's type; it's a massive mind-blowing and jaw-dropping; both performances of Lawrence and Thieriot are amazing; the story line was so one in a million; i liked it and i don't care about what everyone says; i recommend it without hesitating, and it should get more attention because everyone would love it.

Better than what was expected!

Author: tia-frazier32 from United States
5 January 2014

This movie was way better than expected. For a horror/thriller movie, there were a lot of twist and turns, and was unpredictable. As soon as the movie starts, we meet Elisa and her single mother Sarah, moving into a really nice house that was knocked down to a price that she could afford because of the murder that took place at the house at the end of the street. The murder took place by the daughter of a couple, the couple also had a son, but sent him away to live with his aunt. However, the son, Ryan- now in college, is living in the house. Ryan is keeping a big secret. It seems as if her is hiding his sister, Carrie Ann (the one blamed for the murder of her parents) in a room at the bottom of the house, in hopes of protecting her from the world. However, you soon find out that as a child, Ryan was supposed to be watching Carrie Ann while they were out playing in the back yard on the swings. While on the swing, Carrie Ann falls, hits her head, and dies. Viewers eventually find out that the parents, as crazy as they were, were trying to turn Ryan into Carrie Ann. So, as living as a girl, Ryan is the one who actually killed his parents. But, he always wanted to have his "sister," so he would kidnap girls that were his sisters age and "take care" of them. Like I said, there are quite a few twist and turns here, which made it better than expected.

kept me watching

Author: horsegrlforever223-580-932545
8 December 2013

overall the movie was very good. Throughout the movie I was curious as to how the story would develop. I'm a big Jennifer Lawson fan, so I think my opinion of her is slightly biased but overall I thought she was the best actor in the movie. she was smart, cunning and absolutely gorgeous - I had no problem looking at her :) The antagonist's story seemed muddled - it wasn't explained very well and I didn't understand his obsession with Carrie Anne. Since Carrie Anne had died after the swing accident, had he been stealing girls to be her since he was young? It seemed like his parents weren't the best, but why was his story that he was sent away to take care of a sickly aunt? Had he been stealing girls when he was with the aunt since he seemed so "obsessed" with Carrie Anne?. From another review I read, I agree with the writer who said the soundtrack was definitely a key aspect in the movie. Kudos to the director who filmed it well and the writer for the interesting twist he threw in at the end. I'm disappointed by a lot of endings in movies but this one I liked a lot. Like I said overall, the movie was good. The only criticisms I have are referring to the male's story though the acting was good enough to fill the role.

Excellent film

Author: Jade McPherson from United Kingdom
26 November 2013

This film is really excellent - really exciting plot with an amazing twist. It's not supernatural at all, in fact the events in the film could actually happen in real life!! The actors in the film are very good and believable, they play very strong and interesting characters. The plot twist is really unexpected - I was completely stunned the first time I watched. For those who don't like blood and gore, this movie is perfect although those who are scared of needles may not like some parts of the movie - I'm not overly keen on it but it doesn't last long and isn't graphic. Definitely one to watch, this is definitely one of my favourite horror films. The film is very high tension and jumpy.

Not bad,not good just average.

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
16 October 2013

House at the end of the street could have been so much more since it clearly shows it has the potential. This film is proof how important a director can be to translate such potential to the screen. In this case Mark Tonderai fails to.

From the title you might have gotten the impression this is one of so many haunted house stories. And there was enough there to make it seem like that way. Which would have added to the viewing experience. Yet too soon any hint towards the supernatural is crushed by a turn in the story that in my opinion came far too soon. Then the director seems to be more focused on the dynamics between mother Elisabeth Shue and daughter Jennifer Lawrence. Which was nice to set up the tension between them but it has no bearing to the overall story. And thus ends up a waste of time. Then the thriller elements kicks in that start out promising and even offer a decent amount of suspense which sadly never supersedes mediocrity. A lot could have been done to add suspense or thrills. Like adding some good old red herrings. I know some people don't care about those and want the blood and the gore. Guess what there is none. Luckily I am not one of those horror fans who find that to be necessary. One can thrill in several other ways. But director Mark Tonderai does nothing of the sort and goes for the easy and predictable solutions. Not even bothering to surprise or reward the viewer for watching at the end of this film.

So is it a title that is worth your time? It is not bad by any means. Only it's not particular good either. For me this is one of those titles I reserve for rainy Sundays when nothing else is on. I think Jennifer Lawrence fans will watch this regardless. And perhaps will fall for the charm of Max Thieriot. He shows promise and did what he could with his role and is bound to impress the ones who watch this. Other than that there is nothing going on that needs mentioning.

I want you Elissa... but I need Carrie Anne.

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
5 October 2013

I have to admit that I am surprised to see Jennifer Lawrence in a horror film after her success in Winter's Bone and The Hunger Games. Apparently, it was made about the same time as Winter's Bone and released only after she became popular in Hunger Games.

Ryan (Max Thieriot), who lives at the titular house has a secret. We are party to it less than 30 minutes into the movie. But, we don't see the real secret.

There is not a lot here that makes for a horror film. It's not really scary, and there is little blood. It is more a psychological thriller.

At least we get to once again see great acting by Jennifer Lawrence.

Totally sucked.

Author: theplotinyou-audrey from Memphis
7 August 2013

First of all. This is movie isn't "horror" so I don't really know why it's under the horror category. I only watched the movie because personally I think Jennifer Lawrence is a good actress and I thought it would be good. It doesn't even have a good ending and it's just so irrelevant... I feel like I wasted my valuable time watching it. But, I don't blame Jennifer though. Her acting as good but as for rest of the characters, they sucked at playing their roles. The plot and everything could have been just so much better... The trailer makes it seem like it's just a big deal of a movie and so much entertaining; when it's not. But whatever.

Strong beginning

Author: kosmasp
14 July 2013

Who knows if Jennifer Lawrence would have done such a movie after she received her Oscar this year? Then again, I don't think she will only stay true to art movies (Hunger Games "anthology" will still be on her card, though I'm not sure, if she already signed her soul over for those movies). This is anything but an art movie, even with a second lady who's no stranger to the man in gold. Elizabeth Shue that is, who was amazing in Leaving Las Vegas. Bus she has also seen Piranhas lately, so don't let those female starring names fool you.

As I wrote in the title though, I thought the movie began pretty strong. Visually and from the characters point of view. Nothing completely new or ground breaking, but decent enough to hold your attention and keep you interested. Unfortunately towards the end of the movie, it does turn pretty dull. While it might have a punch or two left, they almost lose all their power due to horror constraints and clichés.

An excellent movie!!! For teens that is.

Author: LolaCrane
11 July 2013

If you were a 20-30-40 something year old expecting a For real horror film like Saw or the exorcist, then ya of course you'd be disappointed. This is a film for someone who doesn't want to be to scared. Honestly there was the occasional jump but this was the type of movie for a teenage girl who gets scared easily (also known as me). In the end this was an excellent movie. A little but cheesy at time like the whole falling while your running, (really J-law, I love her but honestly.) but besides that I was very impressed. And Ryan wasn't to bad to look at ether. The acting was very impressive. I still prefer J-law in hunger games but she played the part very well. The mother was also a very good actress. She played the newly divorced, overprotective mother pretty well. As for Ryan he played his character as the quiet neighbor so well it was almost like a Norman bates type character. With his boyish charm and soft smile, yet there was something about him that made you not want to get to close to him, similar to Anthony Perkins character in the oh so famous psycho. Over all it was an excellent movie that I suggest you try, at least once.