IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 4 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Pleasantly surprised

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
23 September 2012

I had no intention of going to see House at the End of the Street, which from here on out I will refer to as HATES like everybody else. The trailer, as many have mentioned, made it seem like another paper copy, cliché teen horror flick that would play off of many other horrors in the sense that the characters are insipid and the plot is non-existent. I had a friend offer to buy my ticket for me and so of course I could not say no to that regardless of what we were seeing, which I did not know at first. When she told me we where seeing HATES I felt uninspired about the whole idea.

The movie starts off a little shaky, the opening sequence and a couple of scenes there on getting no more from me than mild interest and a brow raise or two. However, HATES is very nice in setting up it's big climax scenes and story twists. The main character, played excellently by Jennifer Lawrence, is likable, in the sense that she feels real in the way she interacts with her mother and moving to a new home and school, and doesn't teeter too far towards a socially inept emo kid, but not a total goody goody either and I am beginning to think Jennifer Lawrence is very capable of choosing good roles that she knows she will be able to tackle. (Loved her in The Hunger Games and X-Men: First Class) The mother, played by Elisabeth Shue, was protective, caring, but not overbearing and has made plenty mistakes in her past in her daughters eyes and their connection is almost impeccable.

When Max Thieriot's character is introduced, who gave a passable performance as well, it starts to get more entertaining. You wonder what exactly is going on in the house down the street and whether what the writers are wanting you to believe is really true. It is sad in the fact that I had the movie figured out halfway through, but that still did not sway my interest because HATES keeps you wondering exactly how the main dilemma is going to exhume itself. I was interested enough in the steady build up and atmosphere of the movie that the plot, which was not cinematic gold but deserves a worthy thumbs up, was overshadowed. However, that was not a step in either direction of mediocrity or brilliance for me, and the movie pays off one or the other after it's over.

I feel like I should say more, but HATES is a movie that if I explain too much might give away all the promising, solid qualities it has to offer. Is it amazing? No. Was it worth the ticket price? I did not pay for it, so I don't really care, but I will say that if you are any bit interested, go see it. I would definitely not have a problem with watching it again if someone brought it up later on after DVD release, and it is a lot better than a lot of the "horror" tripe released from 2000-2010.

An abysmal rip-off of Psycho with countless clichés.

Author: Matt Cipolla (CipollaM926@gmail.com) from Michigan, United States
21 September 2012

Just terrible. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that this atrocity relies on tired character types to propel the "movie," and the ENTIRE thing is a putrid ripoff of Psycho. Not that the target audience would know anything about the legendary Alfred Hitchcock, but this relentlessly copies everything from the masterful 1960 thriller. From the villain's backstory, to the villain's motive, to his fascination with an innocent girl, to the whole setup of the third act, and even the last scene and the last shot. If there's any positive side to this is that I laughed at it a bit. This is very important: THE WHOLE AD CAMPAIGN IS A PLOY. Nothing is backwards, it's just generic, un-scary bulls**t. Do not waste your time, and do not pay for this POS.

3.3/10, two thumbs down, terrible, etc.

For fans of absurd plot-twists, a rich treasure trove.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
4 May 2016

I've played this game far too often. "Describe an idiotic thriller in yet another review about an idiotic thriller" is a game I'm tired of playing. Here's a disjointed list of most of the dumb things.

1. The killer is immune to bullets. 2. Shue is immune to deep stab wounds to the abdominal region. 3. The killer is a martial arts expert – just because he was dressed up as a girl during childhood. 4. The sheriff-was-the-boyfriend plot-twist is a hoot. 5. The killer's childhood story is an even bigger hoot: kind of like a parody of "Psycho", with crack cocaine thrown in for bad measure. 6. The utter confusion regarding who was sneaking up behind trees, staring at Lawrence. 7. The over-kill overboard mega-cliché teen-movie scene in which the killer gets beaten up by a bunch of hormonal jocks. 8. Why does the killer keep leaving the key on the door, when the captive woman managed to escape several times already using that same key? 9. Do regular injections turn every kidnapped girl into a mindless zombie? 10. Did the writer have a lobotomy or was he born that way? 11. The less said about the various teen-movie clichés, the better.

A decent thriller

Author: amei-41315
15 April 2016

The movie was not as bad as a lot of other people say it is. The acting was decent from the two main actors Jennifer Lawrence and Max Theirot, and the story itself was well paced and contained a major twist.

The cons of the film come from the plot holes including the part in the beginning where the child possesses unnatural strength to kill two adult which does not make sense. And why would the kid still live in the house his parents were killed? These are some of the few important questions that weren't fully explained.

Some people may say the twist was cliché and predictable but for me, the performances and suspense built throughout the film compensated for it.

A great thriller

Author: mary-179-677383 from Australia
1 April 2016

I really enjoyed this movie. I also did not predict this movie at all. I can normally predict a movie and say, "yep, this is going to happen" but with this movie what I thought wasn't correct and hence why it was a great movie. Obviously if you read the spoilers, you won't be shocked and it will take away from this movie. I won't give any spoilers, but it is definitely worth watching.

I gave it a 8 because it lacked character development and it is never really explains why the town people really hate Ryan, considering he moved away when he was 7 and returned only after his parents were murdered by his sister.

A really great thriller!

Author: Davis P from United States
18 December 2015

House at the end of the street (2010) is a very well made and entertaining mystery thriller. Jennifer Lawrence and Elisabeth Shue are both great in this film, along with the rest of the cast. The movie is very well shot and well written. The script is not like Oscar worthy, but it certainly isn't bad by any means. The thrill and tense scenes in this movie are very scary and truly creepy. There are certain twists in the plot here, which were very well done and clever. There is one twist that I sure didn't see coming. I really loved the characters in this movie! The script, cast, plot twists, and plot are all really great and all work together to make a really good movie. The environment is creepy and scary to set the mood for a thrilling horror, which this definitely is! This is just a good fun ride and a fun creepy horror movie. 9/10

It Belongs in the Trash Can at the End of the Street.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
24 November 2015

The House at the End of the Street (2012): Dir: Mark Tonderai / Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Max Thieriot, Elisabeth Shue, Eva Link, Gil Bellows: First off the house isn't located at the end of a street. A street would be lined with houses and lights and mailboxes. This is more less a house at the end of a vacant dirt road in the middle of nowhere. The recycled plot regards a mother and daughter, played by Elisabeth Shue and Jennifer Lawrence who move into a house that is located near another house where a girl murdered her parents four years prior. The house is occupied by the son of the deceased victims. He is scrutinized by locals but Lawrence strikes up a curiosity when she is given a drive home. Director Mark Tonderai renders this a laugh fest. Before Lawrence is picked up, the rain suddenly falls and it comes off as corny. Lawrence is a fine actress but she plays a total airhead here. Her entry into the house next door has her nosing about like she owns the place and it just comes off as dumb. Then we have Max Thieriot as the son next door who secretly shelters his psychotic sister in the basement. Another dimwitted move regards a scene where Lawrence is tied to a chair. A cop comes to the door and there are baby speakers present, so it would make sense to gag Lawrence. Instead she is told that no one would hear her, which makes no sense. Shue plays the over the top over protective mother, and Eva Link plays that nut case sister next door. Gil Bellows plays a cop who needs to be retrained so to do his job without viewers complaining how idiotic he is. This film should be locked in a basement and never seen again. Score: 1 / 10

Decent movie for what it is. A thriller.

Author: WubbaLubbaDubDub from United States
23 July 2015

Why House at the End of the Street is labeled under horror at all is beyond me. Looking for horror I decided to try this out. If I'd known I was watching just a thriller I wouldn't have felt unnecessary disappointment.

Jennifer Lawrence and Max Thieriot(Bates Motel) do a fine job in their performances even though you can tell they haven't quite earned their acting chops yet. The story moves pretty fast with not much low time but with no passion from the director the film feels copy and pasted mostly.

My biggest gripe would have to be that the most intriguing information we learn is saved for what feels like an after thought. It's very out of place.

If you like thrillers and don't come in with high expectations you'll have a good time.

Am glad I didn't watch it in the movie theater

Author: Lilly Smith from United States
8 March 2014

I only watched it today, which is like two years after it was released and am glad I didn't watch it in the theater.

I would have regretted it. The casting was good as I chose it mainly for the actors, Max Thieriot and Jennifer Lawrence, but wouldn't say it is one of their best movies.

The story was OK, thriller/suspense rather than horror and some twist ends here and there but somewhat sloppy in some parts, like how can one get stabbed so badly and yet survive? That's one of the few parts I didn't like at all. Other than that, it was watchable.

And like many other movies these days, the end part seems to imply a sequel, but would it be a success? I don't know.

Not as bad a movie as the majority suggests...

Author: jpajs14 from United States
27 May 2013

I want to start out by saying that this is by no means a 'good' thriller movie either. Although Jennifer Lawrence and Max Theriot both deliver decent performances, there are many moments of unrealism in the movie and obvious set-ups for jump scenes. I don't think hardly anyone could watch this movie without the word: "Cheesy" coming to mind at least once. Don't get me wrong, the storyline / plot is some-what creative and could have a lot of potential. This movie is not very scary though; there are absolutely no monsters, paranormal activity, or gruesome death scenes in this movie. The only scares come from the occasional 'surprise' jump scenes... which are obviously set-up every time as I mentioned- but then again, there aren't many horror movies now-a-days with completely unexpected scares. If you are a horror film buff looking for the really good ones; you'd probably want to skip this title. However, it is still enjoyable to watch and there are many, many horror movies worse than this one. 5.75 / 10 stars. Please check out all of my movie reviews at TheRightReviews.Weebly.Com