IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 4 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

An abysmal rip-off of Psycho with countless clichés.

Author: Matt Cipolla ( from Michigan, United States
21 September 2012

Just terrible. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that this atrocity relies on tired character types to propel the "movie," and the ENTIRE thing is a putrid ripoff of Psycho. Not that the target audience would know anything about the legendary Alfred Hitchcock, but this relentlessly copies everything from the masterful 1960 thriller. From the villain's backstory, to the villain's motive, to his fascination with an innocent girl, to the whole setup of the third act, and even the last scene and the last shot. If there's any positive side to this is that I laughed at it a bit. This is very important: THE WHOLE AD CAMPAIGN IS A PLOY. Nothing is backwards, it's just generic, un-scary bulls**t. Do not waste your time, and do not pay for this POS.

3.3/10, two thumbs down, terrible, etc.

Decent movie for what it is. A thriller.

Author: WubbaLubbaDubDub from United States
23 July 2015

Why House at the End of the Street is labeled under horror at all is beyond me. Looking for horror I decided to try this out. If I'd known I was watching just a thriller I wouldn't have felt unnecessary disappointment.

Jennifer Lawrence and Max Thieriot(Bates Motel) do a fine job in their performances even though you can tell they haven't quite earned their acting chops yet. The story moves pretty fast with not much low time but with no passion from the director the film feels copy and pasted mostly.

My biggest gripe would have to be that the most intriguing information we learn is saved for what feels like an after thought. It's very out of place.

If you like thrillers and don't come in with high expectations you'll have a good time.

Am glad I didn't watch it in the movie theater

Author: Lilly Smith from United States
8 March 2014

I only watched it today, which is like two years after it was released and am glad I didn't watch it in the theater.

I would have regretted it. The casting was good as I chose it mainly for the actors, Max Thieriot and Jennifer Lawrence, but wouldn't say it is one of their best movies.

The story was OK, thriller/suspense rather than horror and some twist ends here and there but somewhat sloppy in some parts, like how can one get stabbed so badly and yet survive? That's one of the few parts I didn't like at all. Other than that, it was watchable.

And like many other movies these days, the end part seems to imply a sequel, but would it be a success? I don't know.

Not as bad a movie as the majority suggests...

Author: jpajs14 from United States
27 May 2013

I want to start out by saying that this is by no means a 'good' thriller movie either. Although Jennifer Lawrence and Max Theriot both deliver decent performances, there are many moments of unrealism in the movie and obvious set-ups for jump scenes. I don't think hardly anyone could watch this movie without the word: "Cheesy" coming to mind at least once. Don't get me wrong, the storyline / plot is some-what creative and could have a lot of potential. This movie is not very scary though; there are absolutely no monsters, paranormal activity, or gruesome death scenes in this movie. The only scares come from the occasional 'surprise' jump scenes... which are obviously set-up every time as I mentioned- but then again, there aren't many horror movies now-a-days with completely unexpected scares. If you are a horror film buff looking for the really good ones; you'd probably want to skip this title. However, it is still enjoyable to watch and there are many, many horror movies worse than this one. 5.75 / 10 stars. Please check out all of my movie reviews at TheRightReviews.Weebly.Com

Author: nightwatch4773 from Canada
17 February 2013

I really wanted to like this film since I tend to enjoy films with similar titles.I loved Last house on the left( 1974 ) and the reboot a few years ago. Enjoyed the House by the edge of the Park and the video nasty the House on Dead end Street so I went into this hoping that the star of Winter's Bone would carry this to the promise land. that didn't happen. First off the trailer makes this as some supernatural thriller and that is not the case at all. If you haven't figured this out by the 25min mark, please get an IQ test or maybe I have watched one too many of these sort of films. The film is the perfect example on cashing in on a very hot actress at the moment in Jennifer Lawrence. The script barely gives her anything to work with other than her running around looking sexy in her tight wet top. The only part of the film I enjoyed was Gil Bellows maybe because of the nostalgia of Shawshank Redemption or perhaps he was a customer at my video store that closed down last summer.

I enjoyed the twists, and the hunky male man. :P

Author: JLlo-yd from Australia
4 February 2013

The story itself to me wasn't as bad as what others have stated..although it is generalized into the overly used thriller/drama of a pretty teenager falling for the guy who has a past, ad who is dangerous. I enjoyed the idea that the handsome man who i later found out has been in two other movies i had liked (pacifier, and jumper) has a past, that you saw through flash backs as apposed through the normal story telling effect.

Although the original story is stated, and then manipulated the twists were in fact rather idealistic ..and fitted well within the story. SPOILERS: the idea that he himself had been punished and manipulated into becoming his sister due to her death, that the cop had covered up the death of the child, that the parents were druggos and had died a rather reparable death due to their actions (KARMA, and he had found girls and kidnapped them (explaining the apparent erratic behavior)

Hollywood "horror" hogwash

Author: Adam Peters from Birkenhead United Kingdom
5 March 2015

(12%) If you think really hard, and do a bit of mental arithmetic, you'll probably come to the conclusion that of all the bad horror movies of the past so many years this could almost be considered a mild highlight of sorts. But then again does this even qualify as an actual horror movie in the first place? As a very good portion of the runtime is much more of a drama than anything else with only a small section at the beginning and at the end even resembling a horror picture. So it doesn't really qualify as a horror, and the vast bulk of teen based drama that makes up everything else is just bland, forgettable, and flat. The only thing this has going for it is Jennifer Lawrence who is clearly too good for the lame material she's given to work with, and the twist isn't exactly terrible in a kind of camp fire style way, but it clearly lacks enough substance for it to be made into a full length movie. My advice: skip this and watch a real horror movie instead.

One of the most incredible films I have ever experienced - do not listen to the other reviews!

Author: annie-987-514477 from England
4 January 2015

Before watching any movie, I look it up on IMDb, in order to see if it is worth my time. I did so for 'House at the End of the Street' (2012), starring the phenomenal work of Jennifer Lawrence and Max Thieriot; and was extremely disappointed to find that it had only been awarded a measly 5.6/10. I then watched the trailer and was intrigued by the overview of the plot as well as the technical side of it, including the interesting camera angles and lighting/colouring of the movie.

Although it may appear to be a clichéd American 'tween' movie at the start, I can assure you that it is well worth sticking with. After reading some of the reviews, I can infer that one common issue or flaw with the movie is the fast or "choppy" pace, however, although fast, I believe that this movie was set at a perfect pace. It had the ideal and incomparable feature that it was fast, thus intriguing, but not too fast that one could not follow the plot.

Additionally, the plot was seamlessly structured, and was extremely unpredictable. The movie left me feeling unbelievably on-edge and somewhat frazzled - for the first time in a long time I actually found myself sitting on the edge of my seat.

In summary, this is one of the best films I have ever seen; and believe me when I say I have seen a lot of films! If you are looking for an intense, dark, dramatic thriller / horror, I strongly recommend this near-masterpiece of a film.

I LOVED this movie!

Author: Samantha Sprigg from United Kingdom
30 May 2014

Not the kind of film i would usually watch I thought when reading the summary but by the end I had decided it was the best film I had seen in a long time. The story line was brilliant and I really wasn't expecting the twists and I am usually quite good at that! Full on girl crush on Jennifer and full on boy crush on Max. I really wanted it to work out for them in the end they were such a good couple but I suppose it would have been impossible! Definitely worth a watch for anyone. Loved it! I can see Jenifer going really far with her career. Can't say I have seen a film she was in that wasn't brilliant (hardcore Hunger Games fan :). I'm new to Max but seen a couple of films he is in and can't say I have yet to be disappointed. Wasn't too keen on the mum character think her family story could have been a bit better thought out but that's by and by in the story I suppose. Thanks for the read (first review written by the way) :)

Clever use of horror elements in gripping story

Author: Anthony Ehlers from South Africa
18 March 2014

Horrors are often seen as mindless gore fests and, for the most part, they are. They are genre-driven escapism and to find a fresh angle in the genre is not always easy.

House at the End of the Street manages to do that. It manages to play with the archetype of the home – either temporary, displaced, forgotten – in a way that creeps us out. The corruption of the home is a familiar device to create horror and suspense – and the writers and directors use it for maximum effect.

The stereotype of girl-in-danger is played out with a strong female heroine Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence), who has a strong personality, courage and quiet charisma. It is not clichéd or predictable. Ryan (Max Thieriot) as the troubled neighbour has the vulnerability of a child, but also can portray menace.

The idea of the monster-in-us-all is cleverly used and leads to a well-written and paced twist in the story.

The House at the End of the Street used storytelling to grab us rather than cheap tricks or f/x. It has mystery rather blood to keep us enthralled.

To be sure, it is not a great movie but works well as Friday night in and is well pitched at a younger audience. Worth a look.