IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 4 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A well-written thriller with nothing extraordinary to offer

Author: tapio_hietamaki from Helsinki, Finland
3 March 2013

This film is more of a thriller than a horror film. I didn't find any scenes particularly scary, though there are chase scenes that will make you cling to the edge of your seat. I found it refreshing that the film doesn't have any supernatural elements, nor does it try to make the viewer question whether there might've been any. It's just a working, straight-forward thriller and doesn't try to be anything more than it needs to. Sticks to its strengths.

Jennifer Lawrence delivers a good performance -- she has good chemistry with her cast members and actually does some nice-sounding singing as well. The characters are somewhat forgettable and the dialog, while not clumsy, isn't particularly witty or interesting. The story itself, though, advances very smoothly and manages to keep your interest the whole time. There are several revelations and twists, some rather unpredictable, actually, and the film might even benefit from a second viewing. It only stumbles at the end, trying to milk traditional horror clichés for all their worth.

"House at the End of the Street" provides a level of entertainment although it's not quite satisfying

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
14 January 2013

Producers of "House at the End of the Street" couldn't buy better advertising for their low-budget thriller. First, the movie is given a boost by the success of "The Hunger Games" and the spotlight it shined on Jennifer Lawrence. Secondly, Lawrence wins a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical a mere five days after the movie's release on Blu-ray and DVD. This further guarantees that more people who weren't familiar with the star now are and will likely give any project she's in a chance.

Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) and her mother (Elisabeth Shue) move to the suburbs to start a new life. They lease a home in an upper-middle class neighborhood that's affordable to them because of the horrific murders that took place in the house next door. A few years before, a girl killed her mother and father there before running out into the woods and disappearing. She's been long thought dead, but some residents believe she still lives in the woods next to the neighborhood. Elissa befriends the killer's brother, Ryan (Max Thieriot), against her mother's wishes. She soon discovers the boy might be hiding a dark secret from her and the rest of the town.

If "House at the End of the Street" is guilty of anything, it's trying to be everything to everyone. It feels as if writers David Loucka and Jonathan Mostow couldn't figure out what genre they wanted to tackle, so they just touched on all of them. While sometimes this can work, it really creates a schizophrenic vibe here. They throw in everything AND the kitchen sink. We get a pinch of slasher films, a handful of ingredients from both thriller and suspense movies, and it gets topped off with the recently overused twist ending everyone's come to expect from these types of movies.

The pacing is erratic under the helm of director Mark Tonderai. However, I'll give credit where credit is due. The camera-work helps to redeem it by capturing a sense of creepy nostalgia thanks to cinematographer Miroslaw Baszak. He chose to use a type of film that makes it look grainy and similar to older classic horror movies.

Jennifer Lawrence puts forth her best effort in the role of flirty and rebellious teen Elissa. Max Thieriot is convincing as the enigmatic Ryan. He's both creepy and charming at the same time, which can be hard to pull off by some actors. Elisabeth Shue does an adequate job portraying the concerned, yet distant mother. Although, she sometimes feels a little disconnected from the role.

I'm not going to say that "House at the End of the Street" doesn't have some enjoyable moments or isn't worth your time. It's just more of the same thing we've come to expect from these types of films. It's like a meal you walk away from full but not satisfied. Nothing you ate was necessarily bad, it just wasn't fantastic. It's one of those PG-13 thriller films we'll see being played repeatedly on the Lifetime Movie Network in a year or so.

Amazing Movie

Author: carolasague7 from Miami
11 January 2013

OK so this movie is really screwed up and everything but i saw it with 10 of my friends for a movie night and it was the perfect pick. 1st of all, it has one of the best story lines i have ever seen in a movie. another movie with a great story line was Sinister. Also, Jennifer Lawrence was casted perfectly for the part. The plot twists were phenomenal. when they showed that Ryan was the demented one and that Carrie Anne was actually dead, everyone fell dead silent since that was so unexpected. Some parts though are predictable, like when she's in the basement with the flashlight looking for Ryan and he pops out of nowhere. but in the last scene where there is a little kid celebrating their birthday and the mom goes, "Happy Birthday Carrie Anne!" and the kid goes, "My name is Ryan!" and was slapped and the movie ended, all of our jaws hit the floor. It was crazy.

A run of the mill thriller with a few twists

Author: UberGoober1411 from United States
25 October 2012

Seeing this movie, I got what I expected. Jennifer Lawrence stars as a teenager (even though she looks 25) in high school who moves into a neighborhood and falls for the quiet introverted and clichéd "weird" kid who lives in a house by himself. As the movie progresses, Lawrence's character finds out that Ryan (Max Thieriot) isn't all that he seems...and that he may have a few secrets.

The cast, aside from Lawrence and Thieriot, is just average. Elissa's (Lawrence) mom is the run of the mill single mom who doesn't know how to raise a child by herself. Working two jobs and one late one until 10 or 11 in the evening sure doesn't help. Aside from the mom, there is the town police officer as well the rest of the kids in the town, who really don't like Ryan. Everyone does a passable acting job and there's really nothing to complain about.

The plot, although shopworn and overused, does have a few twists. As one can no doubt tell from the previews, Ryan has a dirty little secret, one that no one suspects. He keeps his sister, the one who killed their parents, in his basement. This obviously comes into play and brings Ryan's sanity into question. It will leave you guessing, as this is an unique way to set up a horror film.

All-in-all, this movie is an above average thriller/horror movie that I would recommend Red Box'ing sometime in the future. It's at this time I wish I graded in 1/2 points...oh well, I suppose I'll round up.

+2 for Lawrence's good acting

+2 for Thieriot's good acting

+2 for unique plot twists

An abysmal rip-off of Psycho with countless clichés.

Author: Matt Cipolla (CipollaM926@gmail.com) from Michigan, United States
21 September 2012

Just terrible. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that this atrocity relies on tired character types to propel the "movie," and the ENTIRE thing is a putrid ripoff of Psycho. Not that the target audience would know anything about the legendary Alfred Hitchcock, but this relentlessly copies everything from the masterful 1960 thriller. From the villain's backstory, to the villain's motive, to his fascination with an innocent girl, to the whole setup of the third act, and even the last scene and the last shot. If there's any positive side to this is that I laughed at it a bit. This is very important: THE WHOLE AD CAMPAIGN IS A PLOY. Nothing is backwards, it's just generic, un-scary bulls**t. Do not waste your time, and do not pay for this POS.

3.3/10, two thumbs down, terrible, etc.

Surprisingly well-made and creepy

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks (gasmaskproductionsbooks@gmail.com) from Canada
15 August 2014

When I saw the trailer for this film I thought it would be just another bad 21st century horror film. After watching it, I stood corrected! The ending was a lot like the 1983 film Sleepaway Camp; the young boy living in the decrepit home at the end of the street, after his sister died his parents tried dressing him up as a girl; it confused him to the point of insanity and he murdered his family, which was a complete surprise to me, I never expected it! It was incredibly creepy, soundtrack that really fit the scenes, great acting and lots of suspense. I highly recommend The House at the End of the Street, it's an amazing film for these days! 2012 spawned that god-awful Hunger Games piece of garbage so I was cautious of this movie, but it was shockingly amazing!

Had potential, but instead went down a formulaic route

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
12 August 2014

Had potential, but instead went down a formulaic route. The plot seemed to be set up to be an interesting study on odd couple relationships and don't-judge-a-book-by-its-cover, with a bit of intrigue thrown in. The movie flirts with these ideas briefly, and then reverts to being a standard slasher-thriller.

From then, pretty much everything is straight out of the slasher- thriller handbook, and is very predictable.

Good performance by Jennifer Lawrence in the lead role. In between making serious movies (Winter's Bone, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle), all-style-no-substance-but-big-at-the-box-office movies (Hunger Games, X Men), she makes mostly-forgettable movies like this. Surprised she felt she needed to.

She's pretty much the only reason to watch this movie.

Plenty of potential but plays it safe for too much of the time

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
14 June 2014

HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET has potential as a taut thriller with a small cast, but unfortunately it has the same problems as other PG-13 fare like DISTURBIA. There's a glossy, safe Hollywood feel to the whole thing which sanitises it; it's as if you can watch and be reassured (despite the scares) that it's never going to be too nasty and that there will be a happy ending once it's all done and dusted.

The would-be mystery plot sees Jennifer Lawrence and her mother Elisabeth Shue moving into a rural property where they discover some brutal murders were committed at a neighbouring house. Eventually, Lawrence befriends the brother of the girl who committed the murders, but it all becomes very convoluted and frankly unbelievable, copying too many films that have come before. I'm disappointed that this was written by one-time director Jonathan Mostow, who directed some nice movies before his talent seemed to fall apart.

The much talked-about Lawrence isn't really a draw in this film, as her acting is average at best. I mean, she's not bad, but it's hard to know how much of her sassy, slightly obnoxious character is actual acting and how much is really her. Shue is disappointing as the histrionic mother after her solid role in PIRANHA 3D, although much of that is down to the writing on her character. Max Thieriot bags the only really sympathetic character but the writers blow that before the end, leaving this tale predictable and rather uninteresting.

First Jennifer Lawrence film that isn't good

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
7 June 2014

"People don't notice all the secrets around them. Even though they're right in front of them, just hiding, waiting to be found."

If you thought the title of this film was bad, wait until you actually see the movie because it is pretty much a standard film in the horror genre. I don't even think you can consider this one a horror film, because there isn't much scares; it is more of a teen romantic suspense film. It's formulaic and by the books. Jennifer Lawrence had a perfect rating until I got around to watching this film. She didn't have much to work with and she gives a decent performance but nothing like the work we've come to expect from her these days. This is a forgettable film and one that despite having an interesting twist towards the end ruins it by extending the absurdity a bit too long in the final act. The clever twist lost its appeal for me when director, Mark Tonderai, decided to continue stretching out the scene making each second more and more unbelievable and pointless.

The screenplay co-written by David Loucka and Jonathan Mostow centers on a single mother, Sarah (Elisabeth Shue), and her teenage daughter, Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) who arrive from Chicago to a small town to start a new life. Their new home is big and beautiful and of course they bought it cheap because the house in front of theirs has a dark past. A 13 year old girl murdered her parents four years ago and never was found. The girl's brother, Ryan (Max Thieriot), who was living with her aunt at that time now lives in that house and leads a quiet and lonely life. The neighbors aren't too friendly towards him, but Elissa who happens to have a thing with fixing broken people takes a liking for him. Her mother is worried about their new friendship, but the town's Sheriff (Gil Bellows) assures her that he's never caused any trouble. But Ryan has a secret he's kept to himself all this time which explains his lonely behavior.

House at the End of the Street is full of clichés and borrows ideas from other much better horror films. I would've enjoyed the twist more if it didn't rely so much on these clichés and would have avoided the predictable ending. There's a scene where Ryan and Elissa stare at a tree and he tells her how he sees the face of a man on it. It's a straight forward metaphor in the film reminding us that sometimes we see things that aren't really there. Storytellers have the power to make us believe or see things about certain characters that are truly not there. The film might appeal to some teens and fans of Jennifer Lawrence, but this formulaic film has bad editing and relies on so many horror clichés like the "shocking" sound effects that don't necessarily work very well. It's ineffective and uninspiring and if we had never heard of Jennifer Lawrence before we'd never consider her as an upcoming star.

I LOVED this movie!

Author: Samantha Sprigg from United Kingdom
30 May 2014

Not the kind of film i would usually watch I thought when reading the summary but by the end I had decided it was the best film I had seen in a long time. The story line was brilliant and I really wasn't expecting the twists and I am usually quite good at that! Full on girl crush on Jennifer and full on boy crush on Max. I really wanted it to work out for them in the end they were such a good couple but I suppose it would have been impossible! Definitely worth a watch for anyone. Loved it! I can see Jenifer going really far with her career. Can't say I have seen a film she was in that wasn't brilliant (hardcore Hunger Games fan :). I'm new to Max but seen a couple of films he is in and can't say I have yet to be disappointed. Wasn't too keen on the mum character think her family story could have been a bit better thought out but that's by and by in the story I suppose. Thanks for the read (first review written by the way) :)