IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 3 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Hitchcockian

Author: rebekahrox from United States
26 January 2013

This is not a horror movie, but a thriller/suspense/mystery much like Disturbia. As such, it was very good. It really is not scary at all. The clues are all there to solve your way through. The last part of the puzzle (a.k.a. "the twist") might surprise some, but alert viewers will at least suspect what is coming. I like movies like this that don't kill all the good guys and evil triumphs. I also like movies that don't end ambiguously usually with the tease that the evil will be back and it's really not over. I hate that cliché. The movie does have lots of clichés duly noted by many other reviewers, but that's pretty much what you sign up for with one of these things. I prefer to think of these clichés as "homages"when I like a movie.

Official: Jennifer Lawrence can sell ANYTHING

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
30 November 2014

In case you close your eyes every time Hollywood is mentioned, you might not know that Jennifer Lawrence was in The (hugely profitable) Hunger Games. She's currently Tinseltown's darling and, judging by this film, can sell anything.

The House at the End of the Street is about a teenage girl and her mother, who move into a house next to one where some murders were committed a while back. The teenage boy who witnessed said killings still lives there. Let the creepiness commence.

There is nothing 'supernatural' about this film, it's a sort of horror/thriller with teenage leads. And that's the most important part. Whereas Twilight was a vampire story for teens and The Hunger Games was a Battle Royale/Running Man for teens. The House at the End of the Street is a horror/thriller for teens. I'm sure plenty of 15+ people will enjoy it too, but I'm going to stick my neck out and guess that its primary fanbase will be around the 15 years of age mark.

I've seen a lot of these times of horror/thrillers. Perhaps that's my problem. I know every scare and twist going (and can therefore predict them a mile off). However, if I hadn't watched many of these sorts of films, I'm sure I would enjoy it much, much more. Basically, to seasoned and cynical cinema-goers such as myself, this film offers nothing new. It conforms to every cliché going, yet it was pretty damn successful, proving that Jennifer Lawrence is one hell of a box office draw. Fair play to it for finding an audience - I just don't think many people will get much out of this is (a) they have seen plenty of these type of films before and (b) if they're not in the 'Twilight generation.' Oh, and don't get me started on the actual NAME of the film. Even fans of the film must admit that whatever Hollywood writer picked it was having a really slack and lazy day. Seriously...

I LOVED this movie!

Author: Samantha Sprigg from United Kingdom
30 May 2014

Not the kind of film i would usually watch I thought when reading the summary but by the end I had decided it was the best film I had seen in a long time. The story line was brilliant and I really wasn't expecting the twists and I am usually quite good at that! Full on girl crush on Jennifer and full on boy crush on Max. I really wanted it to work out for them in the end they were such a good couple but I suppose it would have been impossible! Definitely worth a watch for anyone. Loved it! I can see Jenifer going really far with her career. Can't say I have seen a film she was in that wasn't brilliant (hardcore Hunger Games fan :). I'm new to Max but seen a couple of films he is in and can't say I have yet to be disappointed. Wasn't too keen on the mum character think her family story could have been a bit better thought out but that's by and by in the story I suppose. Thanks for the read (first review written by the way) :)

A well-written thriller with nothing extraordinary to offer

Author: tapio_hietamaki from Helsinki, Finland
3 March 2013

This film is more of a thriller than a horror film. I didn't find any scenes particularly scary, though there are chase scenes that will make you cling to the edge of your seat. I found it refreshing that the film doesn't have any supernatural elements, nor does it try to make the viewer question whether there might've been any. It's just a working, straight-forward thriller and doesn't try to be anything more than it needs to. Sticks to its strengths.

Jennifer Lawrence delivers a good performance -- she has good chemistry with her cast members and actually does some nice-sounding singing as well. The characters are somewhat forgettable and the dialog, while not clumsy, isn't particularly witty or interesting. The story itself, though, advances very smoothly and manages to keep your interest the whole time. There are several revelations and twists, some rather unpredictable, actually, and the film might even benefit from a second viewing. It only stumbles at the end, trying to milk traditional horror clichés for all their worth.

"I Fought J-Law And J-Law Won...."

Author: ferbs54 from United States
13 May 2013

Although actress Jennifer Lawrence had appeared in several television programs and seven theatrical films prior to 2012, few could have foreseen the magnitude of her breakthrough that year. While it is true that critics had praised her work in 2010's "Winter's Bone," her career was most assuredly catapulted into the stratosphere by a pair of films that bracketed 2012. Bringing to life the Katniss Everdeen character in "The Hunger Games," she helped propel that March release to an almost $700 million worldwide gross; the No. 3 film of that year, after "The Avengers" and "The Dark Knight Rises." In November, her portrayal of Tiffany Maxwell in "Silver Linings Playbook" earned her a well-deserved Best Actress Oscar...the second-youngest winner of that august award (at age 22) in history, after Marlee Matlin. Less remembered for Jennifer that year, but still an unqualified hit with a domestic gross of $42 million, was the film "House at the End of the Street," which was released in September but had been filmed two years earlier, around the time of "Winter's Bone." And Jennifer's millions of fans around the world should not be surprised to learn that this earlier film shows the then-20-year-old actress evincing just as much intelligence, grit, talent and remarkable good looks as they have recently come to expect.

In the film, Jennifer plays the part of Elissa Cassidy, who, along with her divorced mother, Sarah (1995 Oscar nominee Elisabeth Shue), moves from the big town of Chicago to the picturesque suburban community of Woodshire. They are able to afford the large, rambling abode that they move into only because it happens to be situated next to a house where a double homicide had occurred four years earlier. It seems that little Carrie-Ann Jacobson had murdered both her parents and then drowned in the local dam, although her body had never been recovered. Elissa soon befriends the only family survivor, Ryan Jacobson (a memorable performance here from Max Thieriot), a quiet, sensitive youth who lives alone in the house and is fixing up the place in the hopes of selling it. Well, to be perfectly honest, Ryan doesn't live ENTIRELY alone, and those viewers who have seen such previous "wacko relative in the attic" films as "The Shuttered Room" (1967) and "The Beast in the Cellar" (1971) might have an inkling where this film is headed. But they would be dead wrong, as this film takes a couple of very surprising twists and pulls the rug out from under for all concerned...especially for poor Elissa! "People don't notice all the secrets around them, even though they're right in front of them," Ryan tells Elissa early on, and future events in the film surely do bear that statement out!

Besides those two British films just mentioned, "House at the End of the Street" also brings to mind, in sections, such wonderful horror outings as "Psycho" and "Wait Until Dark." The film turns remarkably suspenseful in its final 1/2 hour or so, and I must confess that my stomach was in knots by the time it was all over. Director Mark Tonderai, whose previous work I am wholly unfamiliar with, does a fine job at keeping his film moving, and his camera work is fluid and mobile, to say the least! The film looks just fine, too, with superior production values; flashily shot, and making nice use of its Metcalfe, Ontario locales. (Is this film an American or Canadian production? Judging by the end credits, my guess would be a joint production, but I'm really not certain on this point.) It is certainly well acted by all concerned, and is a fine exemplar of intelligent, modern-day and realistic horror. (And for those viewers who might pooh-pooh this last statement, as to the film's realism, I would simply cite the stunning events that transpired in Cleveland just this past week!) Still, good as the film is, its main selling point remains its young star, Jennifer Lawrence, who most assuredly "steals the show." Though she doesn't get to wield a bow and arrow in this film, "Hunger Games" fans will be happy to learn that she yet manages to give a very physical performance here: running, jumping through windows, shooting a gun, fighting and kicking and so on. I am tempted to say that Jennifer has all the makings of a great "scream queen," but for the fact that--amazingly enough, given all the horrible things that she encounters during the film--Elissa does not scream once...not even when locked in a car trunk along with what may very well be a female corpse! A tough, smart and beautiful heroine, to be sure; no wonder a drunken teen lustfully says to her at one point, "You're pretty." Gorgeous and naturally talented (it's astounding that Jennifer has never taken any acting classes!), and only 22 years old as I write this...what a bright future Ms. Lawrence has, unless, of course, she foolishly goes down the Lohan route, which I highly doubt she will. In talk show interviews, Jennifer comes across as a bright, funny, self-deprecating and levelheaded actress; no wonder she is so hugely successful and popular! Anyway, I'd say forget about that overrated (in every regard) J-Lo and stick with J-Law! She's the real deal, and makes this already fine horror outing something truly special. And oh...try watching this film a second time, after learning its many surprising secrets. You'll surely see events with a whole new slant, I promise you....

A fresh, but stressful starting over.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
19 March 2013

Recently divorced Sarah(Elisabeth Shue) and her daughter Elissa(Jennifer Lawrence)seeking to start life over, purchase a dream home in an upscale, secluded town bordering a wooded state park. Starting over proves to get stressful when teenage Elissa learns the house down the street was the site of a double murder.The atmosphere of the move changes when Elissa befriends the murder victim's son Ryan(Max Theriot). Mild mannered Ryan seems to be hiding very dark secrets in that house at the end of the street. This thriller has what it takes to keep you guessing. I love Jennifer Lawrence, but she seems a little bland after seeing her Oscar winning role in SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK. Also in the cast:James Thomas, Eva Link, Gil Bellows, Nolan Gerard Funk and Alli MacDonald.

Good movie but an oversight makes it less likable

Author: tab98
5 February 2013

I liked House at the End of the Street and I don't see what the fuss is about. It's the best film from this genre I have ever seen. I liked American Horror Story on FX and The Following on Fox even though they are not films (I'm not restricted to those two stations but they own my favorites at this time).

The story line was good and it had a lot of twists. I don't recall ever jumping from my seat so many times in one movie. There were a lot of good parts to House at the End of the Street so why not 10/10? The simple reason is at the end, a police officer investigates The House at the End of the Street and the man occupying it turns the lights off and gets ready to kill the officer. He ends up killing the officer but it was messy and just not swift. Why didn't the cop call code 6 on his radio? Backup may be sparse in little towns but he did have a radio so there might have been at least one other officer in the area.

To many it may not be as big of a deal but for a horror movie House at the End of the Street was fantastic and it is comparable to many good movies I have seen in the past. It's scary and well told, I say watch it.

Slow start strong finish.

Author: thevampyremystik from Canada
22 September 2012

I loved this movie, sure the acting wasn't always fantastic but while this movie had a slow start it had a great finish. I love movies like this. A good story with a twist and a lot of pop out make your heart stop moments.This was a very modern movie. I personally liked the plot and the whole movie was just the right length of time. Its rare to find a movie that doesn't need a lot of special effects to be terrifying. This one pulled it off, no supernatural or just far out there weird sci-fi stuff, just a genuinely very human scary movie. Well worth the cost to see on the big screen. P.S just so you know if you have the same movie taste here are some of my likes. Scream Halloween (the original) Disturbia The Grudge Insidious The Ring

An abysmal rip-off of Psycho with countless clichés.

Author: Matt Cipolla (CipollaM926@gmail.com) from Michigan, United States
21 September 2012

Just terrible. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that this atrocity relies on tired character types to propel the "movie," and the ENTIRE thing is a putrid ripoff of Psycho. Not that the target audience would know anything about the legendary Alfred Hitchcock, but this relentlessly copies everything from the masterful 1960 thriller. From the villain's backstory, to the villain's motive, to his fascination with an innocent girl, to the whole setup of the third act, and even the last scene and the last shot. If there's any positive side to this is that I laughed at it a bit. This is very important: THE WHOLE AD CAMPAIGN IS A PLOY. Nothing is backwards, it's just generic, un-scary bulls**t. Do not waste your time, and do not pay for this POS.

3.3/10, two thumbs down, terrible, etc.

Am glad I didn't watch it in the movie theater

Author: Lilly Smith from United States
8 March 2014

I only watched it today, which is like two years after it was released and am glad I didn't watch it in the theater.

I would have regretted it. The casting was good as I chose it mainly for the actors, Max Thieriot and Jennifer Lawrence, but wouldn't say it is one of their best movies.

The story was OK, thriller/suspense rather than horror and some twist ends here and there but somewhat sloppy in some parts, like how can one get stabbed so badly and yet survive? That's one of the few parts I didn't like at all. Other than that, it was watchable.

And like many other movies these days, the end part seems to imply a sequel, but would it be a success? I don't know.