IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Official: Jennifer Lawrence can sell ANYTHING

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
30 November 2014

In case you close your eyes every time Hollywood is mentioned, you might not know that Jennifer Lawrence was in The (hugely profitable) Hunger Games. She's currently Tinseltown's darling and, judging by this film, can sell anything.

The House at the End of the Street is about a teenage girl and her mother, who move into a house next to one where some murders were committed a while back. The teenage boy who witnessed said killings still lives there. Let the creepiness commence.

There is nothing 'supernatural' about this film, it's a sort of horror/thriller with teenage leads. And that's the most important part. Whereas Twilight was a vampire story for teens and The Hunger Games was a Battle Royale/Running Man for teens. The House at the End of the Street is a horror/thriller for teens. I'm sure plenty of 15+ people will enjoy it too, but I'm going to stick my neck out and guess that its primary fanbase will be around the 15 years of age mark.

I've seen a lot of these times of horror/thrillers. Perhaps that's my problem. I know every scare and twist going (and can therefore predict them a mile off). However, if I hadn't watched many of these sorts of films, I'm sure I would enjoy it much, much more. Basically, to seasoned and cynical cinema-goers such as myself, this film offers nothing new. It conforms to every cliché going, yet it was pretty damn successful, proving that Jennifer Lawrence is one hell of a box office draw. Fair play to it for finding an audience - I just don't think many people will get much out of this is (a) they have seen plenty of these type of films before and (b) if they're not in the 'Twilight generation.' Oh, and don't get me started on the actual NAME of the film. Even fans of the film must admit that whatever Hollywood writer picked it was having a really slack and lazy day. Seriously...

Good Premise but not Well Executed and Full of Clichés

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
22 December 2012

The divorced Dr. Sarah Cassidy (Elisabeth Shue) and her teenage daughter Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) move to a wonderful house in a small town in the countryside. Sarah can only afford the place because the house is close to another house where a girl stabbed to death her parents. Soon Elissa befriends the outcast college student Ryan (Max Thieriot), who inherited the house from his parents, and she falls in love with him. But Ryan secretly keeps his sister captive in the basement using drugs to control her. One night, Elissa snoops around Ryan's house and she discloses dark secrets about her boyfriend.

"House at the End of the Street" is a horror movie with a good premise but unfortunately not well executed. The plot has a good mystery that is revealed early and the last twist in the very end when Ryan discovers the secret about his sister is not well explored. The result is a conventional and disappointing commercial movie full of clichés. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "A Última Casa da Rua" ("The Last House of the Street")

An abysmal rip-off of Psycho with countless clichés.

Author: Matt Cipolla (CipollaM926@gmail.com) from Michigan, United States
21 September 2012

Just terrible. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that this atrocity relies on tired character types to propel the "movie," and the ENTIRE thing is a putrid ripoff of Psycho. Not that the target audience would know anything about the legendary Alfred Hitchcock, but this relentlessly copies everything from the masterful 1960 thriller. From the villain's backstory, to the villain's motive, to his fascination with an innocent girl, to the whole setup of the third act, and even the last scene and the last shot. If there's any positive side to this is that I laughed at it a bit. This is very important: THE WHOLE AD CAMPAIGN IS A PLOY. Nothing is backwards, it's just generic, un-scary bulls**t. Do not waste your time, and do not pay for this POS.

3.3/10, two thumbs down, terrible, etc.

For fans of absurd plot-twists, a rich treasure trove.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
4 May 2016

I've played this game far too often. "Describe an idiotic thriller in yet another review about an idiotic thriller" is a game I'm tired of playing. Here's a disjointed list of most of the dumb things.

1. The killer is immune to bullets. 2. Shue is immune to deep stab wounds to the abdominal region. 3. The killer is a martial arts expert – just because he was dressed up as a girl during childhood. 4. The sheriff-was-the-boyfriend plot-twist is a hoot. 5. The killer's childhood story is an even bigger hoot: kind of like a parody of "Psycho", with crack cocaine thrown in for bad measure. 6. The utter confusion regarding who was sneaking up behind trees, staring at Lawrence. 7. The over-kill overboard mega-cliché teen-movie scene in which the killer gets beaten up by a bunch of hormonal jocks. 8. Why does the killer keep leaving the key on the door, when the captive woman managed to escape several times already using that same key? 9. Do regular injections turn every kidnapped girl into a mindless zombie? 10. Did the writer have a lobotomy or was he born that way? 11. The less said about the various teen-movie clichés, the better.

It Belongs in the Trash Can at the End of the Street.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
24 November 2015

The House at the End of the Street (2012): Dir: Mark Tonderai / Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Max Thieriot, Elisabeth Shue, Eva Link, Gil Bellows: First off the house isn't located at the end of a street. A street would be lined with houses and lights and mailboxes. This is more less a house at the end of a vacant dirt road in the middle of nowhere. The recycled plot regards a mother and daughter, played by Elisabeth Shue and Jennifer Lawrence who move into a house that is located near another house where a girl murdered her parents four years prior. The house is occupied by the son of the deceased victims. He is scrutinized by locals but Lawrence strikes up a curiosity when she is given a drive home. Director Mark Tonderai renders this a laugh fest. Before Lawrence is picked up, the rain suddenly falls and it comes off as corny. Lawrence is a fine actress but she plays a total airhead here. Her entry into the house next door has her nosing about like she owns the place and it just comes off as dumb. Then we have Max Thieriot as the son next door who secretly shelters his psychotic sister in the basement. Another dimwitted move regards a scene where Lawrence is tied to a chair. A cop comes to the door and there are baby speakers present, so it would make sense to gag Lawrence. Instead she is told that no one would hear her, which makes no sense. Shue plays the over the top over protective mother, and Eva Link plays that nut case sister next door. Gil Bellows plays a cop who needs to be retrained so to do his job without viewers complaining how idiotic he is. This film should be locked in a basement and never seen again. Score: 1 / 10

Am glad I didn't watch it in the movie theater

Author: Lilly Smith from United States
8 March 2014

I only watched it today, which is like two years after it was released and am glad I didn't watch it in the theater.

I would have regretted it. The casting was good as I chose it mainly for the actors, Max Thieriot and Jennifer Lawrence, but wouldn't say it is one of their best movies.

The story was OK, thriller/suspense rather than horror and some twist ends here and there but somewhat sloppy in some parts, like how can one get stabbed so badly and yet survive? That's one of the few parts I didn't like at all. Other than that, it was watchable.

And like many other movies these days, the end part seems to imply a sequel, but would it be a success? I don't know.

transparent!!!!

Author: nightwatch4773 from Canada
17 February 2013

I really wanted to like this film since I tend to enjoy films with similar titles.I loved Last house on the left( 1974 ) and the reboot a few years ago. Enjoyed the House by the edge of the Park and the video nasty the House on Dead end Street so I went into this hoping that the star of Winter's Bone would carry this to the promise land. Well......no that didn't happen. First off the trailer makes this as some supernatural thriller and that is not the case at all. If you haven't figured this out by the 25min mark, please get an IQ test or maybe I have watched one too many of these sort of films. The film is the perfect example on cashing in on a very hot actress at the moment in Jennifer Lawrence. The script barely gives her anything to work with other than her running around looking sexy in her tight wet top. The only part of the film I enjoyed was Gil Bellows maybe because of the nostalgia of Shawshank Redemption or perhaps he was a customer at my video store that closed down last summer.

Hollywood "horror" hogwash

Author: Adam Peters from Birkenhead United Kingdom
5 March 2015

(12%) If you think really hard, and do a bit of mental arithmetic, you'll probably come to the conclusion that of all the bad horror movies of the past so many years this could almost be considered a mild highlight of sorts. But then again does this even qualify as an actual horror movie in the first place? As a very good portion of the runtime is much more of a drama than anything else with only a small section at the beginning and at the end even resembling a horror picture. So it doesn't really qualify as a horror, and the vast bulk of teen based drama that makes up everything else is just bland, forgettable, and flat. The only thing this has going for it is Jennifer Lawrence who is clearly too good for the lame material she's given to work with, and the twist isn't exactly terrible in a kind of camp fire style way, but it clearly lacks enough substance for it to be made into a full length movie. My advice: skip this and watch a real horror movie instead.

predictable and mainstream

Author: jack kenny from Australia
15 January 2013

the plot in this movie is so mainstream it's saddening. a family moves in and it just so happens they move in in the same street a murderer/psycho lives in.

the movie has features that could not possibly be real in real life. the mother being stabbed and placed in glass cannot knock out someone who's fit and armed with a knife just to name one.

as for the acting max thieriot performance was applaudable. his secretive and kindness acting skills were the few things that were actually unpredictable. i think jennifer lawrence was okay, but her choice of role was disappointing. she was made for Oscar movies like silver linings playbook, and not cliché movies like this. i hope the more she acts and the older she gets she chooses better movies to go in, in which im sure she will.

all in all i do not recommend you pay money on this, search it up on the internet or download as it is not worth your money.

Cliché, Not Scary, And Dull

Author: mrrockey from Canada
19 March 2014

Okay, before I tear this movie in half, I'd like to address that I already knew what type of movie this was before I even saw it. I already know that it was just gonna be some cheap studio hack film that was made to appeal to teenagers by casting one of the hottest young actresses right now and keeping it PG-13 to ensure them kiddies can go see it. But with that being said, I expected this film to be at least moderately ENTERTAINING. Not mind-blowing, but ENTERTAINING. But what I got instead, was one of the dullest, most clichéd films I've seen in a long time. It REALLY sucked, and I'm gonna tell you all about it.

The plot starts off with a little girl named Carrie Anne killing her mother and father in the middle of a stormy night(that's nice) and then, flash forward four years later, a divorced doctor by the name of Sarah Cassidy and her 17-year-old daughter Elissa move to a small, upscale town where their house is right next to the where the opening massacre took place. Elissa meets Ryan Jacobson, the brother of Carrie and they gradually develop a romantic feelings for one another. Sarah ends up going AGAINST them being in a relationship together so they start seeing each other in secret where Elissa gets to learn more and more about Ryan's disturbing past.

I'm gonna get this right out of the way, House at the End of the Street is fwcking boring. There's barely any suspense or tension throughout the majority of the first half of the film so you end up just being bored as you have to watch this sh!tty teen drama with some of the most clichéd writing imaginable. There's the little drama about Sarah being recently divorced and Elissa and her trying to cope with it, there's the relationship being forbidden by one of their parents, and there's the whole "social outcast" angle with Ryan. Now I wouldn't have minded some of these clichés if the characters felt like REAL people but the thing is, they don't. We never get to know any of these characters and the dilemmas they go through well at all so whenever there's a dramatic scene and Elissa says something like "Just because you had a bad relationship doesn't I mean will!", it just comes across as generic, lifeless drama made to just fool you into thinking the movie's smarter than it really is. So even if this wasn't a horror/thriller film, it still would've sucked because it's just clichéd and lifeless.

But if this movie had any sort of good suspense or scares in it, I would probably give this film at least a 5 but the problem is that, not only do they come in way too LATE in the film, they're also REALLY weak. The way this movie tries to scare you, is so textbook and formulaic, it might as well have been renamed "Horror Filmmaking for Dummies: The Movie". They use every cliché in the book, and I mean EVERY cliché. From jump scares, to shaky-cam(fwck shaky-cam), to a character wandering around in the dark trying to find the killer, and probably the most embarrassing of them all, the killer popping up for one last scare after they were supposedly killed. I mean, come on! Scream already made people aware of this cliché 17 years ago! When that scene came on, I actually bursted out laughing because of how dumb and expected it was. THAT'S how embarrassing it was.

If there's anything DECENT about the movie, it'd be the cast. While this film doesn't make full use of Jennifer Lawrence's talent as an actress, she does do the best she can and is clearly above starring in these types of films. Let's just hope she never stars in a film like this ever again. Elizabeth Shue, again, does her best in a film like this. Max Thieriot is GOOD as Ryan, but he's too damn creepy-looking at the start of the film for us not to suspect him when surprise, he's the villain of the picture. I feel like this character should start out feeling more like a regular guy than such a creep. The best character to compare him to is probably Norman Bates from Psycho since it's clear the writers took some notes from Hitchcock's film in creating their character but the thing they seemed to forget about, is making him a normal guy from the start. In that film, we have no reason to suspect Norman at first because of how unimportant he seemed from the way Perkins played him but here, the first time we see him, he's already made himself look like the bad guy because of the way he's shot and the music accompanies the scene.

I also thought the twist was... a fairly good one. I'll give the movie props that I DIDN'T see it coming but it would have worked even better if I was intrigued by the mystery THROUGHOUT the film as opposed to it getting sidetracked by sh!tty drama. I don't know, I feel like I would have given it more praise had if it was part of a better script.

Overall, House at the End of the Street is exactly the type of movie you'd expect from a title like that. It's clichéd, generic, lifeless, and frankly, dull. That's probably the worst thing you could say about a horror/thriller film in my book. Still, I'd guess it's watchable if you happen to be a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence but... you definitely have better alternatives. I'm gonna give it a 2/10.