IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Not a scary film....

Author: Tribal-Warrior from United Kingdom
1 October 2012

Predictable storyline once you start watching it, and not a scary film at all, apart from a few times where it tries to make you jump... only succeeded to make me jump on one occasion.

I actually thought this might be a haunted house sort of film judging by the title, as I didn't watch any trailers. But it isn't, it's just a teen slasher type, but without much slashing.

If you can get into a free screening like I did, or maybe orange Wednesday 2 for 1, then it's worth a watch, otherwise wait until it comes out for rental.

Not Woth the Money.

Author: noemiwrites
30 September 2012

WARNING: There are spoilers in this review.

The very name of the movie should turn you away.

The movie begins with a girl walking down a dark hallway, knocking over a lamp and table, the parents wake up, the mother checks on her, the mother dies, then the father. Fast forward four years and a mother and daughter move in next door from Chicago. At this point, it seems somewhat interesting. However, the rest of it, isn't.

I expected it to be a grudge type thing maybe, but I didn't expect it to be so ... cliché. I do like Jennifer Lawrence, and I wanted to like the movie, but there is a line. She was pretty good, her character wasn't bad, but the supporting cast/characters could have been more developed ... more ... just more.

The twists in this just gave me a headache. The whole movie felt like it was rushed and overly-clichéd and it just wasn't at all what I had expected it to be. I'll admit that some of the scenes looked cool and could make some good gifs for graphics later on. It wasn't worth $9.00 and I really wish I could get my money back.

A Thriller Film and not a Horror Film.

Author: justin_caunan from Philippines
13 February 2013

House at the End of the Street or HATES is a good film. But it is not a horror flick. It is a suspense thriller with twists and turns until you lose your mind thinking.

Let's talk about the movie. The acting is good. The jump scares are infrequent, but good and really scare me sometimes (one jump scare is really expected). The plot is I like, because it is really keeps me thinking. What I don't like is the 1 hour and 35 minutes long running time and it is very long.

But still, a great film even it is not listed at my list of greatest movies of 2012.

Not worth the money

Author: vampvixenluna13 from United States
21 September 2012

This movie was too predictable, the only time I jumped was at the beginning, but from there you can guess what is going to happen next and what is going on. To get a good thrill go out and rent some of the old slasher films like Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the thirteenth. Or for just a good Spook Rent The Ring, 5ive girls, Doom, Silent Hill Series, Pet Semetery, Children of The Corn, Rose Red, IT, Graveyard Shift,Lake Placid. Or go even further back for a giggle like The Blob, Birds,Chucky. If planning this for a date night, don't do it. Wait 'til Halloween for the newest Silent hill movie, or even wait 'til Sinister comes out. Trust me and plan something else more worth while.

this movie sucks

Author: jessnhalod from United States
22 September 2012

i wanted to leave half way through but it was too late to get my money back so i stayed, hoping it would get better, it didn't.

i LOVE horror movies. it doesn't take much to please me. i expected it to be cheesy. this movie gave me nothing. it was not scary, entertaining, witty, creative, weird, it was nothing. Jennifer is hot tho. they could have made it better if they had added more entertaining dialog, or developed the characters better. i guess they were thinking that a series of "surprise" moments equals a horror movie. i don't think so. i just hated that i spent 20 on this movie.

that is all. don't see it.

Worst movie I have seen this year...complete wastage of 2 hours and $6.50

Author: lakatosjason from India
22 September 2012

Are you kidding???? Is this a "Horror movie"? I had to work really hard to stay awake. 100% piece of junk. Horribly poor storyline. I am sure people have seen that kind of story in about 5000 trash D graded horror movies. Do not not even think about going to the theater to watch this movie. Despite of being bored I was hoping that the movie would give some really shocking surprise that would keep me astonished and spellbound. But I was wrong. I could easily predict what was going to happen and that was exactly what happened. After seeing this movie I am getting really skeptical about going to the theater and watch a movie on the first day. I should really wait for at least 10 days before watching a movie. I don't know how people gave a higher that 6 rating to this movie. It deserves a 1.0 at most.

Lawrence of Suburbia.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
29 June 2014

A little better than its garbage reputation, as evidence by the support it got at the box office from its target audience, Mark Tonderai's horror/thriller is safe genre film making. There's no intelligence in the screenplay, no copious amounts of blood letting, the characters do dumb things and in truth it unfolds as a standard girl in peril movie. These things are what have led to it being savaged by critics, but backed by a trio of strong performance from Jennifer Lawrence, Elisabeth Shue and Max Thieriot, boosted by a genuine narrative surprise and the fact that Tonderai is able to do the peril motifs with suspenseful impact, ensures House at the End of the Street is at least a decent enough time waster. 5/10

horror without the tension

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 August 2013

Did anybody else felt this movie lacked any tension? Maybe we've seen this movie before. Maybe this movie has such little style. About the only thing this movie has going for it is Jennifer Lawrence.

The story had potential. All the classic iconic characters are there. But the story never takes off. And a twist derails what little momentum this movie had. It sidelines many of its characters from the ending, and really came off as dishonest.

And for a movie called House at the End of the Street, the house was really forgettable. They could at least attempt a Psycho house.

Thru it all, Jennifer Lawrence carried the story through the power of her presence. For her, I turn a 5 into a 6.

Too cliché!

Author: bravesfanc from United States
27 July 2013

This story wasn't bad at all. The only problem is that this movie tries too hard for cheap scares. For example, during the climax (spoiler alert) after she finds the cops gun and he runs for cover and shuts the lights off, she has a flashlight that's not quite working and would go on and off and the shot is from her point of view, sooner or later you know he will be on screen. And maybe because of the way the music tied along to what was happening it may have done what it intended to do to some viewers. It had a good twist, one I didn't see coming. However, it just wasn't executed well. Also, (spoiler alert) if I remember correctly, Alyssa's mom was stabbed during the finale, but after everything is resolved, and we see the two of them about to leave, she's completely fine. Now, it doesn't say how far in the future it was, but it didn't seem like much time had past since the events.

Help me with the ending

Author: zzyzx000-124-271558 from United States
14 July 2013

That's what the writers should have been asking everybody they knew. I'm infatuated with J-Law and that's the reason I watched this flick. It's also the reason I give it a 5* rating. She's good and attractive and get's my attention. The movie was going along OK until the end. I got a little bored while J-Law was playing with the on again off again flashlight and maybe I missed something? There was a flashback to the dead Cop's association with Ryan's family. He knew them and knew they buried the daughter when she fell off the swing. So who was he? What did I miss? Then J-Law shoots Ryan 3 or 4 times in the chest and he seems to die, but comes alive in time to get stabbed by J-Law's mother, who had been knifed by Ryan several times about 10" deep in the belly but who also comes back to life to drag J-law from the basement. And of course Ryan survives the bullet holes and the knife wounds and we see him in jail to end the picture, but at least he flashes us a neck scar to prove to us the screenwriter understands there must be penalty's paid for knife and gun play.

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]