IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 11 of 17: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Sad to see Ms. Lawrence attached to such a stinker...

Author: MrGKB from Ohio
14 March 2013

...and even sadder to see that it apparently turned a decent profit, which will only confirm the Hollywood suits' low estimation of audience intelligence. Sporting a disappointingly derivative script, cardboard characters, uninteresting dialog, and pedestrian camera-work, "House at the End of the Street" will quickly sink into the obscurity it so richly deserves but for the charm and talents of Ms. Lawrence. Without her presence, it would have been an abject failure; as it stands, it's merely another example of Sturgeon's Revelation. The less said about it, the better. Sad as well to see Elisabeth "Leaving Las Vegas" Shue consigned to such dreck, although it's at least a step up from swill like the remake of "Piranha." 'Nuff said; you've been warned.

House @ The End Of The Street Delivers.

Author: buckikris from United States
7 March 2013

I rented this movie along with Sinister and I have to say this movie was 100 times better. I normally believe todays horror movies suck; every now and then a good one can sneak in there and surprise you. This movie had it all, humor, thrills, and twists. A mom(Sarah) and daughter(Elissa) new to the neighborhood. Jennifer Lawrence, Elissa, plays the perfect Miss innocent part. She meets a group of popular students and once invited to a party, is turned off by Tyler. She is so upset she starts to walk back home which is about 20 miles away. While walking on this deserted backwoods road she meets Ryan, the boy who still lives in the house by them. He asks her to get into the car so he can take her home; because it is getting ready to pour. At first she is like no I'll walk, but then the rain comes down and she gives in. All she knows about Ryan is that his sister killed his parents in that house.

As the movie picks up you see Ryan going to the basement, unlocking the door and there in a room is a girl. I was like he is taking care of his messed up sister. I felt sorry for him at first because, I thought he was doing the best he could under the circumstances he was given. Little did I know he had a secret he was hiding. Ryan is not the person you think he is. At the end it explains everything, why he locked young women up in the basement, his behavior from the middle of the movie to the end. The movie is based on Ryan's young life and the event that happened when he was young. How his parents at the time brainwashed him to believe he was somebody else. I can see why he had problems in his young life; and because of his mother never got over them. I believe this is why he did the things he did. I don't what to give it all away, but this movie is one you will not be disappointed with. I even recommend it to all my classic horror fans, REDBOX it. That is what I did and I am glad I picked a winner. It doesn't have the blood and guts thing, but it does have the suspense and that's what counts.

THX, Kris L. CocKayne

Never go into the creepy guy's basement! 9 out of 10

Author: thehungergames77
17 February 2013

Honestly, I thought this movie was going to be a bust, having Jennifer Lawrence in it. I figured she wouldn't be very good in a horror movie, but boy was I wrong. The way she acted, you could really feel the moral danger she was in as Ryan (Max Theriot) pulled her closer and closer until he could get her. The movie wasn't very frightening overall, although it did have its scares and jump scenes. There was a big plot twist at the end: When you find out Carrie Ann died on the swings that day, and the parents made Ryan think he was her to replace her. So, as he grew up, he had believed he was Carrie Ann. So all those girls you see in the movie, those aren't Carrie Ann, those are innocent girls he has drugged, captivated, and cared for. Overall, I would honestly give this a nine out of ten. Not for horror, but for the great plot, acting, meaning, twists, and scares.

Great Thriller

Author: lauriemacc from United States
17 February 2013

I really enjoyed this thriller/horror movie, leaning more towards it being a thriller. I like horror and thriller movies but hate the kind of movies that are just all blood, guts and gore. Give me a good storyline or don't waste my time!! This movie wasn't the best but it definitely was better then a lot of movies I have seen lately. Great thriller. I hate to admit it but I didn't know who Jennifer Lawrence was until "The Hunger Games". She did an amazing job in that movie and did a decent job in this movie along with Elisabeth Shue. Elisabeth Shue is a favorite actress of mine. She definitely has come a long way since "Adventures in Babysitting" which I still love to watch (LOL)!!! This movie does give you a lot of shots with Jennifer L. in tight tank tops but overall it was a great thriller!! Definitely worth the time to sit down and watch. Some parts you may want to go back and watch over again. If you like thrillers that keep you guessing along with twists but lacking the blood, guts and gore you will really enjoy this movie. This is a movie you will enjoy!!

A wonderful surprise!!

Author: Danny Glenn from United States
15 February 2013

A few weeks ago I watched Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" again, then I read Robert Bloch's book "Psycho". Loved them both!

When I rented "The House at the End of the Street" I expected some type of schlocky "killer in the woods" type flick.

WOW!! What a wonderful surprise!!! This movie has a terrific storyline that in my opinion, rivals and possibly surpasses "Psycho". Totally solid filmmaking with terrific actors. I think the title, while accurate has the unfortunate effect of reminding us of other flicks like "Last House on the Left" which also wasn't a bad movie but just a different type.

This film really was a suspense thriller as opposed to horror. Great great film.

Good Movie, Nothing Amazing

Author: ddhix_2002 from United States
14 January 2013

Just watched "House at the End of the Street."

It was very good. The whole story makes you think you are watching a horror film, which you sort-of are, but not.

It follows a girl who moves into a new house in the middle of Nowhere, USA. She meets new friends, and a new friend who is weird and edgy. He had a traumatic childhood, since his sister brutally murdered their Mom & Dad. Most of the story is spent trying to figure out what is up with his sister, and will she go on a murderous rampage?

It's another mind twister type movie, so you are kept guessing for most of the movie. The twists are not over-the-top, they are subtle, and do make sense for the story. The twists are not pretentious, in other words. There was only one segment (about five minutes worth) that were totally unrealistic for "real" people's actions; I am referring to the college kids who go nuts. But it's easily forgiven since the rest of the plot is enjoyable.

It is enjoyable, but cliché. The stupid girl in the movie makes all the typical actions you would expect a stupid girl in a horror/thriller to make. She looks through peepholes and then decides to go in, and I'm fairly certain that her big fat tits were a plot driver. The cliché is tired, to a degree, but it is normal for a movie like this; so we can forgive it.

All I'm trying to say is that this movie is not bad, but it isn't amazing, either.

For the cinematography, most of it is shot in a "horror" fashion, blue lenses are used to make the woods seem cold. The filmmakers made a seriously huge mistake in using the "Red One" camera. If your budget is 6.9 million dollars, I think we can spring for an Arriflex 35mm camera. With that said, it was hard to tell that this movie was digital, since they obviously ran it through color saturation programs to give it the "film" look. But why do double the work just to make it look like something it's not?

The score is nothing special.

Movie references; I didn't notice a whole lot. But I can almost guarantee that "Sleepaway Camp" was the inspiration for this movie to be made. If you haven't watched "Sleepaway Camp," then good; you won't know what I'm talking about. If you have seen it, then I am more than certain you have already figured this movie out.

"House at the End of the Street" provides a level of entertainment although it's not quite satisfying

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
14 January 2013

Producers of "House at the End of the Street" couldn't buy better advertising for their low-budget thriller. First, the movie is given a boost by the success of "The Hunger Games" and the spotlight it shined on Jennifer Lawrence. Secondly, Lawrence wins a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical a mere five days after the movie's release on Blu-ray and DVD. This further guarantees that more people who weren't familiar with the star now are and will likely give any project she's in a chance.

Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) and her mother (Elisabeth Shue) move to the suburbs to start a new life. They lease a home in an upper-middle class neighborhood that's affordable to them because of the horrific murders that took place in the house next door. A few years before, a girl killed her mother and father there before running out into the woods and disappearing. She's been long thought dead, but some residents believe she still lives in the woods next to the neighborhood. Elissa befriends the killer's brother, Ryan (Max Thieriot), against her mother's wishes. She soon discovers the boy might be hiding a dark secret from her and the rest of the town.

If "House at the End of the Street" is guilty of anything, it's trying to be everything to everyone. It feels as if writers David Loucka and Jonathan Mostow couldn't figure out what genre they wanted to tackle, so they just touched on all of them. While sometimes this can work, it really creates a schizophrenic vibe here. They throw in everything AND the kitchen sink. We get a pinch of slasher films, a handful of ingredients from both thriller and suspense movies, and it gets topped off with the recently overused twist ending everyone's come to expect from these types of movies.

The pacing is erratic under the helm of director Mark Tonderai. However, I'll give credit where credit is due. The camera-work helps to redeem it by capturing a sense of creepy nostalgia thanks to cinematographer Miroslaw Baszak. He chose to use a type of film that makes it look grainy and similar to older classic horror movies.

Jennifer Lawrence puts forth her best effort in the role of flirty and rebellious teen Elissa. Max Thieriot is convincing as the enigmatic Ryan. He's both creepy and charming at the same time, which can be hard to pull off by some actors. Elisabeth Shue does an adequate job portraying the concerned, yet distant mother. Although, she sometimes feels a little disconnected from the role.

I'm not going to say that "House at the End of the Street" doesn't have some enjoyable moments or isn't worth your time. It's just more of the same thing we've come to expect from these types of films. It's like a meal you walk away from full but not satisfied. Nothing you ate was necessarily bad, it just wasn't fantastic. It's one of those PG-13 thriller films we'll see being played repeatedly on the Lifetime Movie Network in a year or so.

this is a great movie

Author: jerry-saleem from Pakistan
7 January 2013

well after read so many negative review i decided to write a review about this movie that movie was really good every thing about this was great all actors did a greater job max Thieriot who play Ryan played a psycho character in a beautiful way Jennifer Lawrence and Elisabeth Shu did a really good job (a mother and daughter) simply we could say that everything was about this movie really great story was simple but awesome movie was about a mother and daughter move to a new town and find themselves living next door to a house where a young girl murdered her parents .when the daughter befriends the surviving son she learns the story is far from over my advice is try not to read anything (any review) about this film because if i read i would not have enjoyed it as much as i enjoy trust me if u r a fan of psychological thriller with awesome twist then i recommend it a must see movie

Plenty of potential but plays it safe for too much of the time

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
14 June 2014

HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET has potential as a taut thriller with a small cast, but unfortunately it has the same problems as other PG-13 fare like DISTURBIA. There's a glossy, safe Hollywood feel to the whole thing which sanitises it; it's as if you can watch and be reassured (despite the scares) that it's never going to be too nasty and that there will be a happy ending once it's all done and dusted.

The would-be mystery plot sees Jennifer Lawrence and her mother Elisabeth Shue moving into a rural property where they discover some brutal murders were committed at a neighbouring house. Eventually, Lawrence befriends the brother of the girl who committed the murders, but it all becomes very convoluted and frankly unbelievable, copying too many films that have come before. I'm disappointed that this was written by one-time director Jonathan Mostow, who directed some nice movies before his talent seemed to fall apart.

The much talked-about Lawrence isn't really a draw in this film, as her acting is average at best. I mean, she's not bad, but it's hard to know how much of her sassy, slightly obnoxious character is actual acting and how much is really her. Shue is disappointing as the histrionic mother after her solid role in PIRANHA 3D, although much of that is down to the writing on her character. Max Thieriot bags the only really sympathetic character but the writers blow that before the end, leaving this tale predictable and rather uninteresting.

Wooah, this thing STINKS !

Author: dmuel from downtown, Michigan
20 November 2013

OK, there are way too many positive reviews for this piece of trash so, since I wasted several minutes of my life watching it--I fast forwarded through most of it--I have to set the record straight. Before a plot synopsis, if plot is a suitable word, let me begin by saying this is a stupid, boring, most unscary and unthrilling movie. It's rated PG-13, so you know there's nothing too spicy included in the script.

The story involves what seems like a sappy guy who keeps his homicidal maniac of a sister locked up in the cellar, tied to a bed. Occasionally she escapes and makes trouble. Sappy guy meets almost-hot-chick and it's teenage love: Britney Spores meets Anthony Perkins from Psycho. But that's only one movie out of several that this re-hash of a story rips off. The ending is sooooo ridiculously stupid you will wretch in revulsion for having seen it. PLEASE do not watch this movie...it is not scary, it is not sexy, it is not interesting. I pity the fools who claim this movie was entertaining.