IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 2 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Waste. Of. Time.

Author: krispee_creem from United States
24 September 2012

This is the worst movie I have ever been talked into going to see in the movie theater.

The story is ultra-predictable, and not at all interesting.

It is great seeing Elizabeth Shue.....but her character is flat and somewhat unbelievable. (What doctor marries a rock star??)

They should have just called this movie: Jennifer Lawrence on Screen for an Hour and a Half

Lawrence wasn't terrible, but it shouldn't be hard to play a high school student who hates her mom in every scene.

All of the supporting characters are poorly developed. I did not feel attached to any of them, and after a while was actually hoping that one of them would be killed, so as to add some sort of entertainment value to an otherwise bland movie.

Overall, this movie was awful and not worth wasting any money to see it in the theater or renting/buying it on DVD/blu ray.

Unless your significant other begs you to see this because they are HUGE Jennifer Lawrence or Horror fans, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.

Although the movie doesn't posses any intellectual value it is very entertaining and interesting to watch

Author: Sandro Natchkebia from Georgia
13 December 2012

The movie doesn't flourish with intelligence, but does it have to? It's genre makes it just a movie for entertainment. Jennifer Lawrence's acting is just flawless as in every other movie, which solely can make this video worth watching, but what I like most about it is it's unexpected ending. This is the very rare case when I couldn't actually guess the ending of the movie. It also sends a little message to the viewers about bullying and aggression, although, I repeat myself, it doesn't serve for the purpose of enlightenment of the viewer. I would recommend to watch this movie, but only with friends, when you want to be simply entertained.

Better than expected

Author: phd_travel from United States
13 July 2013

This is an above average horror movie.

First the good points: The cast is A list - after all 2 Oscar winning actresses as daughter and mother - Jennifer Lawrence and Elisabeth Shue (who hasn't aged much). Max Thieriot (now of Bates Motel) is their next door neighbour who lives in a house where his parents were murdered. The acting is good and there is some build up of sympathy with the characters in the story.

It's not supernatural so it's not too implausible. Doesn't have too many shock tactics. I'm kind of sick of the recent supernatural horrors with Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz and the one with Katie Holmes and Bailee Madison. It's not too slasher like too. No violence that doesn't advance the plot.

It's got some faults: Firstly the closeup photography is a bit too close up. Can't see the whole face. A bit jerky too.

There is a twist of course which is not totally unpredictable.

Overall kind of enjoyed it.

Don't Listen to the Negativity

Author: dhardman04 from United States
30 September 2012

So I just caught this movie September 30, 2012 and I really wanted to like it. But when I saw the decreasing rating from 6.4 to now 5.9, I was worried. I asked: what's wrong with this movie? and should I even go see it? I am so glad I ignored the bad rating. I normally don't care what other people about movies, but I was a little skeptical to see it after seeing so many bad reviews.

House at the End of the Street is about Elissa and her mom Sarah moving to a new house that is very cheap because the house next door had a double-murder of the parents there by their "daughter Carrie-Ann". Elissa meets the surviving son Ryan and befriends him, unbeknownst to her that he is hiding "Carrie-Ann" in his basement and a dark secret. Jennifer Lawrence is probably one of my favorite actresses and the movies I've seen her in she is phenomenal. She proved herself once again that she is a worthy force in Hollywood. Max Thierot: I don't really know this actor, but he does a very nice job in the role of Ryan. Elizabeth Shue is also a very nice actress. This trio of actors did an exceptional job with the roles they were given. Lawrence does the snarky, rebellious teenage role very well, as well as the girl with a good heart and the will to help others. Thierot plays the quiet, repressed outcast with a dark secret very convincingly. He isn't creepy but he isn't dull and boring. Shue plays the cliché overprotective mother (which may be my only issue with the movie) who only wants what's best for her daughter and blah blah blah.

Now, the twist. Most people called it ahead of time: Ryan is the killer. Now, I know that it was pretty obvious from the get-go that he was the killer, but that wasn't the twist. The twist was that Carrie-Ann died after falling on the swings, Ryan's parents made him "Carrie-Ann" to deal with their grief, Ryan killed his parents after their abuse had gone too far, blamed himself for his sister's death and then, when he got older, moved back to his house, kidnapped a girl and made her his "Carrie-Ann" because he needs her in his life. When "Carrie-Ann" escapes, she seeks help but Ryan stops her. On-screen, we are convinced Ryan is keeping his demented sister from killing anyone, but he just doesn't want people to know his secret. When she escapes again, he accidentally kills her. We now believe that Carrie-Ann is dead.

While Ryan is keeping his secret, Elissa tries to get closer to him, much to her mother's dismay (cliche again). She enters a Battle of the Bands competition and invites Ryan to come but his car gets trashed and then he gets beaten up until he retaliates and breaks a dudes leg (he's not too important to the story) and the rest of the bullies go to try and burn Ryan's house down but Elissa gets there in time to put out the fire. The last, I wanna say, 30 minutes of the film involve Elissa trying to get away from Ryan after discovering his secret and the truth about him. After defeating Ryan, Elissa and Sarah move from their new house while Ryan is in a mental institution, where he is haunted by his family's abuse towards him after Carrie-Ann died. End

This movie, just like Cabin in the Woods, focuses on the clichés of horror movies, but doesn't necessarily attack them. Great acting and great story. People compare this to "Psycho" and "Sleepaway Camp" but I haven't seen those movies. I liked this movie and I really don't care what people have to negatively say about this movie. I recommend you go see it. It's not a waste of time or money. Don't listen to the dickholes!

Not half bad, really. Jennifer Lawrence's presence ups the value a bit, too.

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
6 October 2013

People don't seem to like this one much, but I found it totally decent. It's probably better than it should be simply for the presence of Jennifer Lawrence - who is just smoking hot. Okay, she's a good actress, too, and gives a good performance. She won an Oscar last year for Silver Linings Playbook (much deserved, in my book). Her tank top from this film should have been nominated for an award. Okay, enough about how hot Lawrence is (very, is the answer). The story here is decent, if nothing special. Lawrence, moving into a new home, falls for the damaged teen down the street, Max Thieriot (also pretty good). His horrifying past (his parents were murdered by his insane sister) is well known to the small town they live in. He harbors a few other secrets, as well. This mostly wins for me because Lawrence comes off as a fairly smart horror heroine. The climactic sequence is really well done (shades of the climax of Wait Until Dark - would have been nice to see this in the theater, as I came really close to doing last year). Elisabeth Shue also co-stars as Lawrence's mom. She's still good looking and is a fine actress. I'd love to see her in a really good role at this point in her career.

Good twist, but not clear enough. An audience with lowered expectations will be rewarded.

Author: Nitzan Havoc from Israel
20 March 2013

If watching HatEotS has taught me anything (taught me again, actually) is that many times a film's worst enemy could be the buzz around it. Had it not been for all the talk about it, I might have had lowered expectations and therefore a smaller sense of disappointment.

As the Horror freak that I am, I've always loved Psychological Thriller/Horror films with a sophisticated twist towards the end. This film makes an attempt on having such a twist, but personally, for me, it didn't work.

Let's start off with the good things: the acting was very good, especially by Max Thieriot as Ryan. The way he talked, the look in his eyes, everything was simply perfect for the role. Jennifer Lawrence wasn't bad either, but sadly the best part about her acting was her not being an eyesore, not at all. Great job also by Elisbabeth Shue as a teenagers's mother!

As for the story - I find it difficult to pinpoint my problem with it. The build up seemed sufficient and the twist was surprising enough, and kept up getting deeper and more evolved. Perhaps it's the difficulty to fully grasp and comprehend what had happened happened that took some of the excitement away. I was too busy figuring out one detail when the next hit. So perhaps other viewers will enjoy it more.

All in all, watching this has been a fun experience, though not overly. I can't say "don't watch it!", nor can I recommend it too enthusiastically. If you don't expect too much - you could be in for a treat.

Apparently people are forgetting how to be entertained...

Author: Robert W. ( from Ontario, Canada
12 January 2013

I remember this film doing extremely well in the theatre so before I watched it on DVD I read some reviews and I was shocked at how bad ALL the reviews were. People were endlessly complaining about the movie and no shocker at all, I disagree with them. Actually I don't disagree with them, I agree with some of what they say about the film, I just didn't think it made a less than enjoyable experience. I love horror and I love thrillers and this is what makes for a turn your brain off thriller slasher flick with some decent twists and turns. I don't care how many pretentious reviewers claim they had it all figured out, you won't have it all figured out. Is the film mildly predictable? Yes absolutely but its hard for a horror film not to be. House At The End of The Street is an old school PG thriller similar to Scream in some aspects but it is very genre specific and follows the recipe to a T without changing many of the ingredients. But if you're okay with that and you like genre specific movies then you'll really enjoy this one. It keeps you on the edge of your seat with plenty of cringe worthy moments. It has a clear and concise climax and an edge of your seat ending.

It certainly doesn't hurt to have someone the calibre of Jennifer Lawrence at the helm of the movie. I'm not so sure that she should still be playing 17 year old girls but as an old school scream queen she fits the bill very nicely. Her character is as cut and dry as you can imagine. Teenager with a rebel streak who has a mother trying to do better by her. Moves to a new town and befriends the rebel boy...and she does everything that the 70's and 80's Scream queens taught us not to up instead of down, out instead of in, away from the killer instead of towards him. None of this bothered me, because I enjoy chuckling at the campy quality of an old school thriller like this. Lawrence carries the film well and fits the bill perfectly. Elisabeth Shue is one of two performances that are genuinely bad in this movie. She personifies the campiness and the predictability by her facial expressions and character performance. She was just really annoying so much so that you understood how Lawrence's character felt towards her. The other really campy performance was by Gil Bellows as the Sheriff. Bellows screams camp nowadays and this role must have been huge for him getting away from the straight to video. He was only marginally better than Shue but they shared so many scenes together that it was double the camp. Max Thieriot does an excellent job as the quiet loner Ryan. He fits the throwback thriller role absolutely perfectly and the closing scene on him is memorable and fun. Thieriot and Lawrence have great chemistry making their character arc together even better.

I could list for you two dozen movies right now that House At The End Of The Street rips off blatantly and un-apologeticaly. It reeks of everything from Halloween to Psycho to Sleepaway Camp and how much did that ruin it for me? Well not even a little bit. I love those movies so why would it ruin House at The End of The Street for me. No matter how much something copies something else, its still new characters, some new concept and as long as its well executed then I'm there!! I think a more experienced director could have really fine tuned the details but Mark Tonderai still does a decent job and any other time he would be heralded for doing an homage to 80's thrillers so I will give him his herald. I thought it was very entertaining and well done. Campy at times? Yes absolutely and also predictable in some aspects but for a genre film it is exactly what one should expect and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a thriller. 8.5/10

A good thriller

Author: Steve Johnson
11 December 2012

Despite the negative comments this movie got, I have to say I enjoyed it. It has got a good thrill in it, and at the end, there is a major twist in this that really gives it a jump. This is a story about a recently divorced mother, Sarah, moving into to a new neighbourhood with her daughter, Elissa. The town is said to have a house in which a daughter murdered both her parents and was never said to be found.The son, who was not there, Ryan, still lives in the house at the end of the street. Elissa does not like her neighbours on the other sides, so she tries Ryan. She begins to have an affection for him. When he is beat up, Elissa runs to his house and discovers a secret room. She is then attacked by a girl, which then Ryan comes in and explains to her, that the girl who murdered her parents was there, Carrie-Anne. Elissa then finds contacts and a wallet with a girl who looks like Carrie-Anne but his not named that. When Elissa questions Ryan, He traps her in a room, with the now drugged Carrie-Anne. She finds out Carrie-Anne died before she killed her parents, Which means, Ryan kidnaps girls and pretends that they are Carrie-Anne. Ryan then believes Elissa can be Carrie-Anne and the movie turns into a chase thriller where Elissa tries to escape the house, while her mother searches for her. We find out at the end, the real source of evil was the parents. They made Ryan dress up as Carrie-Anne once she died, and when Ryan denied the fact, they would abuse him. He killed his parents and all this time, he was trying to prove that he was not Carrie-Anne. I liked this. Its not an Oscar movie, not at all. It is a good thriller that will give you a chill. Although, this is not horror, it is thriller with a few effective jump scares. I liked this movie, and that is final. p.s. Jennifer Lawrence was amazing in this, she made this movie a good one.

Mystery, Suspense, and a Little Horror Await at the House at the End of the Street

Author: Sean Jump from United States
4 October 2012

Young Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) and her mother Sarah (Elizabeth Shue) think they are moving into a quiet, uneventful new home to reconnect and start over. The house next door is supposed to be empty, but late one night Sarah sees a light go on in the allegedly vacant edifice. Turns out a young man does live there, in the very house where his crazy sister murdered their parents years before. The townsfolk think young Ryan is crazy for staying in the house all by himself, but Elissa thinks differently. Elissa is drawn to Ryan's quiet, sensitive nature, and perhaps also by the chance to draw him out of his shell. But the local legend is that Ryan's sister is still out there somewhere, watching and waiting for another chance to strike…

Don't think of House at the End of the Street as a slasher film. True, the story could work as a slasher, but director Mark Tonderai has created a film that rises above many of the usual genre clichés. The story is well-written and built around mystery and suspense rather than cheap shocks, and even though most of the main characters are teenagers, the film doesn't take them down the usual paths.

The cast is outstanding. Jennifer Lawrence makes Elissa likable but not without flaws. She is smart and caring, brave and resourceful, and in many ways an atypical teenager, but all the same a young woman who makes some bad decisions throughout the movie, decisions that may have lethal consequences for herself and others. In short, she's a great protagonist that is easy to identify with. Elizabeth Shue likewise does well as Sarah, plagued by paranoia and too much drink but determined to forge a stronger relationship between her daughter and herself...if she doesn't drive her away forever first. Max Thieriot handles the touchy role of Ryan just right, capturing all the nuances of a town outcast living under the shadow of an urban legend with surprising deftness. Together, the performers ensure the story seems populated by real people of flesh and blood.

In some ways, House at the End of the Street echoes that great classic of horror cinema, Psycho. Of course, the current film isn't nearly as good as Psycho, but there are a lot of shared elements which can't entirely be coincidental. Compared to many other horror films, House at the End of the Street may seem a bit bloodless, but that's only because the filmmakers realize it takes more to make a good movie than lots of bloodshed. House at the End of the Street is a fine horror film that delivers the scares without sacrificing good sense.

What an unbelievable disappointment

Author: captaincameron from Tampa, Florida
8 June 2013

There are four good things in this movie: Jennifer Lawrence in a tank top and Elizabeth Shue in a tank top. Barring that, this movie was truly, truly bad. In part I can blame the marketing--they made it seem like a supernatural horror story; instead, it was a failed attempt at a thriller. Rather than creating a new character, they pretty much let Jennifer Lawrence stay in the role of Katniss from The Hunger Games, but with her hair blonde instead. But she did okay, given what she had to work with; so did Max Theriot. Other characters in the movie didn't have to worry about wooden dialogue because we never really saw them more than a couple of times. Every attempt at a plot twist was easily anticipated, including the attempt at a shocker ending. Save yourself time and pain and skip the flick--and if you are watching it for the four good things that I mention, those are few and far between as well.

Page 2 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]