IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
House at the End of the Street
Page 2 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Great place to hide a key.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
21 September 2012

Elissa and her mother move into a rented accommodation, which is surprisingly cheap due to the fact that a little girl murdered her parents and ran away at the titular location.

They learn that the son, Ryan, still lives there alone and plans to renovate the house and sell it.

All the townsfolk despise Ryan for no good reason and Elissa strikes a friendship with Ryan despite her Mothers doubts.

But is Ryan all that nice, and whats in his basement? Obviously released to make money thanks to Lawrences fame garnered from The Hunger Games, I wasn't looking forward to this in the slightest, but I was surprised.

I hadn't seen any trailers for the film, and purposely knew nothing about it.

For the most part of the film, it kept me uneasy, with an acute sense of dread throughout the film. For once I was thinking 'where could this go?' And then halfway through the second act, it clicks, but this is thanks to the film makers just being lazy.

It's not a horror film, and although there are a lot of jump scares, it's all down to over use of orchestral music, and the film homaging other classic movies (there is one scene at the end that reminded me of Silence of the Lambs, but it was effective).

The main cast are great, but support is just your awful typecast frat boys and geeks who add nothing to the film.

Lawrence proves that winters bone was no one trick pony, she really excels with the material, and although it goes into Pacific Heights/Fear/YUnlawful Entry/Single White Female mode during the finale, she manages to make the film a little bit better than it should be.

There is a little twist at the end, but you half expected it.

My advice is try not to read anything about this film, because if I had, I wouldn't have had enjoyed it half as much as I did knowing nothing about it.

Although the movie doesn't posses any intellectual value it is very entertaining and interesting to watch

Author: Sandro Natchkebia from Georgia
13 December 2012

The movie doesn't flourish with intelligence, but does it have to? It's genre makes it just a movie for entertainment. Jennifer Lawrence's acting is just flawless as in every other movie, which solely can make this video worth watching, but what I like most about it is it's unexpected ending. This is the very rare case when I couldn't actually guess the ending of the movie. It also sends a little message to the viewers about bullying and aggression, although, I repeat myself, it doesn't serve for the purpose of enlightenment of the viewer. I would recommend to watch this movie, but only with friends, when you want to be simply entertained.

Not half bad, really. Jennifer Lawrence's presence ups the value a bit, too.

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
6 October 2013

People don't seem to like this one much, but I found it totally decent. It's probably better than it should be simply for the presence of Jennifer Lawrence - who is just smoking hot. Okay, she's a good actress, too, and gives a good performance. She won an Oscar last year for Silver Linings Playbook (much deserved, in my book). Her tank top from this film should have been nominated for an award. Okay, enough about how hot Lawrence is (very, is the answer). The story here is decent, if nothing special. Lawrence, moving into a new home, falls for the damaged teen down the street, Max Thieriot (also pretty good). His horrifying past (his parents were murdered by his insane sister) is well known to the small town they live in. He harbors a few other secrets, as well. This mostly wins for me because Lawrence comes off as a fairly smart horror heroine. The climactic sequence is really well done (shades of the climax of Wait Until Dark - would have been nice to see this in the theater, as I came really close to doing last year). Elisabeth Shue also co-stars as Lawrence's mom. She's still good looking and is a fine actress. I'd love to see her in a really good role at this point in her career.

Don't Listen to the Negativity

Author: dhardman04 from United States
30 September 2012

So I just caught this movie September 30, 2012 and I really wanted to like it. But when I saw the decreasing rating from 6.4 to now 5.9, I was worried. I asked: what's wrong with this movie? and should I even go see it? I am so glad I ignored the bad rating. I normally don't care what other people about movies, but I was a little skeptical to see it after seeing so many bad reviews.

House at the End of the Street is about Elissa and her mom Sarah moving to a new house that is very cheap because the house next door had a double-murder of the parents there by their "daughter Carrie-Ann". Elissa meets the surviving son Ryan and befriends him, unbeknownst to her that he is hiding "Carrie-Ann" in his basement and a dark secret. Jennifer Lawrence is probably one of my favorite actresses and the movies I've seen her in she is phenomenal. She proved herself once again that she is a worthy force in Hollywood. Max Thierot: I don't really know this actor, but he does a very nice job in the role of Ryan. Elizabeth Shue is also a very nice actress. This trio of actors did an exceptional job with the roles they were given. Lawrence does the snarky, rebellious teenage role very well, as well as the girl with a good heart and the will to help others. Thierot plays the quiet, repressed outcast with a dark secret very convincingly. He isn't creepy but he isn't dull and boring. Shue plays the cliché overprotective mother (which may be my only issue with the movie) who only wants what's best for her daughter and blah blah blah.

Now, the twist. Most people called it ahead of time: Ryan is the killer. Now, I know that it was pretty obvious from the get-go that he was the killer, but that wasn't the twist. The twist was that Carrie-Ann died after falling on the swings, Ryan's parents made him "Carrie-Ann" to deal with their grief, Ryan killed his parents after their abuse had gone too far, blamed himself for his sister's death and then, when he got older, moved back to his house, kidnapped a girl and made her his "Carrie-Ann" because he needs her in his life. When "Carrie-Ann" escapes, she seeks help but Ryan stops her. On-screen, we are convinced Ryan is keeping his demented sister from killing anyone, but he just doesn't want people to know his secret. When she escapes again, he accidentally kills her. We now believe that Carrie-Ann is dead.

While Ryan is keeping his secret, Elissa tries to get closer to him, much to her mother's dismay (cliche again). She enters a Battle of the Bands competition and invites Ryan to come but his car gets trashed and then he gets beaten up until he retaliates and breaks a dudes leg (he's not too important to the story) and the rest of the bullies go to try and burn Ryan's house down but Elissa gets there in time to put out the fire. The last, I wanna say, 30 minutes of the film involve Elissa trying to get away from Ryan after discovering his secret and the truth about him. After defeating Ryan, Elissa and Sarah move from their new house while Ryan is in a mental institution, where he is haunted by his family's abuse towards him after Carrie-Ann died. End

This movie, just like Cabin in the Woods, focuses on the clichés of horror movies, but doesn't necessarily attack them. Great acting and great story. People compare this to "Psycho" and "Sleepaway Camp" but I haven't seen those movies. I liked this movie and I really don't care what people have to negatively say about this movie. I recommend you go see it. It's not a waste of time or money. Don't listen to the dickholes!

Better than expected

Author: phd_travel from United States
13 July 2013

This is an above average horror movie.

First the good points: The cast is A list - after all 2 Oscar winning actresses as daughter and mother - Jennifer Lawrence and Elisabeth Shue (who hasn't aged much). Max Thieriot (now of Bates Motel) is their next door neighbour who lives in a house where his parents were murdered. The acting is good and there is some build up of sympathy with the characters in the story.

It's not supernatural so it's not too implausible. Doesn't have too many shock tactics. I'm kind of sick of the recent supernatural horrors with Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz and the one with Katie Holmes and Bailee Madison. It's not too slasher like too. No violence that doesn't advance the plot.

It's got some faults: Firstly the closeup photography is a bit too close up. Can't see the whole face. A bit jerky too.

There is a twist of course which is not totally unpredictable.

Overall kind of enjoyed it.

Good twist, but not clear enough. An audience with lowered expectations will be rewarded.

Author: Nitzan Havoc from Israel
20 March 2013

If watching HatEotS has taught me anything (taught me again, actually) is that many times a film's worst enemy could be the buzz around it. Had it not been for all the talk about it, I might have had lowered expectations and therefore a smaller sense of disappointment.

As the Horror freak that I am, I've always loved Psychological Thriller/Horror films with a sophisticated twist towards the end. This film makes an attempt on having such a twist, but personally, for me, it didn't work.

Let's start off with the good things: the acting was very good, especially by Max Thieriot as Ryan. The way he talked, the look in his eyes, everything was simply perfect for the role. Jennifer Lawrence wasn't bad either, but sadly the best part about her acting was her not being an eyesore, not at all. Great job also by Elisbabeth Shue as a teenagers's mother!

As for the story - I find it difficult to pinpoint my problem with it. The build up seemed sufficient and the twist was surprising enough, and kept up getting deeper and more evolved. Perhaps it's the difficulty to fully grasp and comprehend what had happened happened that took some of the excitement away. I was too busy figuring out one detail when the next hit. So perhaps other viewers will enjoy it more.

All in all, watching this has been a fun experience, though not overly. I can't say "don't watch it!", nor can I recommend it too enthusiastically. If you don't expect too much - you could be in for a treat.

Apparently people are forgetting how to be entertained...

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
12 January 2013

I remember this film doing extremely well in the theatre so before I watched it on DVD I read some reviews and I was shocked at how bad ALL the reviews were. People were endlessly complaining about the movie and no shocker at all, I disagree with them. Actually I don't disagree with them, I agree with some of what they say about the film, I just didn't think it made a less than enjoyable experience. I love horror and I love thrillers and this is what makes for a turn your brain off thriller slasher flick with some decent twists and turns. I don't care how many pretentious reviewers claim they had it all figured out, you won't have it all figured out. Is the film mildly predictable? Yes absolutely but its hard for a horror film not to be. House At The End of The Street is an old school PG thriller similar to Scream in some aspects but it is very genre specific and follows the recipe to a T without changing many of the ingredients. But if you're okay with that and you like genre specific movies then you'll really enjoy this one. It keeps you on the edge of your seat with plenty of cringe worthy moments. It has a clear and concise climax and an edge of your seat ending.

It certainly doesn't hurt to have someone the calibre of Jennifer Lawrence at the helm of the movie. I'm not so sure that she should still be playing 17 year old girls but as an old school scream queen she fits the bill very nicely. Her character is as cut and dry as you can imagine. Teenager with a rebel streak who has a mother trying to do better by her. Moves to a new town and befriends the rebel boy...and she does everything that the 70's and 80's Scream queens taught us not to do...run up instead of down, out instead of in, away from the killer instead of towards him. None of this bothered me, because I enjoy chuckling at the campy quality of an old school thriller like this. Lawrence carries the film well and fits the bill perfectly. Elisabeth Shue is one of two performances that are genuinely bad in this movie. She personifies the campiness and the predictability by her facial expressions and character performance. She was just really annoying so much so that you understood how Lawrence's character felt towards her. The other really campy performance was by Gil Bellows as the Sheriff. Bellows screams camp nowadays and this role must have been huge for him getting away from the straight to video. He was only marginally better than Shue but they shared so many scenes together that it was double the camp. Max Thieriot does an excellent job as the quiet loner Ryan. He fits the throwback thriller role absolutely perfectly and the closing scene on him is memorable and fun. Thieriot and Lawrence have great chemistry making their character arc together even better.

I could list for you two dozen movies right now that House At The End Of The Street rips off blatantly and un-apologeticaly. It reeks of everything from Halloween to Psycho to Sleepaway Camp and how much did that ruin it for me? Well not even a little bit. I love those movies so why would it ruin House at The End of The Street for me. No matter how much something copies something else, its still new characters, some new concept and as long as its well executed then I'm there!! I think a more experienced director could have really fine tuned the details but Mark Tonderai still does a decent job and any other time he would be heralded for doing an homage to 80's thrillers so I will give him his herald. I thought it was very entertaining and well done. Campy at times? Yes absolutely and also predictable in some aspects but for a genre film it is exactly what one should expect and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a thriller. 8.5/10

For fans of absurd plot-twists, a rich treasure trove.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
4 May 2016

I've played this game far too often. "Describe an idiotic thriller in yet another review about an idiotic thriller" is a game I'm tired of playing. Here's a disjointed list of most of the dumb things.

1. The killer is immune to bullets. 2. Shue is immune to deep stab wounds to the abdominal region. 3. The killer is a martial arts expert – just because he was dressed up as a girl during childhood. 4. The sheriff-was-the-boyfriend plot-twist is a hoot. 5. The killer's childhood story is an even bigger hoot: kind of like a parody of "Psycho", with crack cocaine thrown in for bad measure. 6. The utter confusion regarding who was sneaking up behind trees, staring at Lawrence. 7. The over-kill overboard mega-cliché teen-movie scene in which the killer gets beaten up by a bunch of hormonal jocks. 8. Why does the killer keep leaving the key on the door, when the captive woman managed to escape several times already using that same key? 9. Do regular injections turn every kidnapped girl into a mindless zombie? 10. Did the writer have a lobotomy or was he born that way? 11. The less said about the various teen-movie clichés, the better.

It Belongs in the Trash Can at the End of the Street.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
24 November 2015

The House at the End of the Street (2012): Dir: Mark Tonderai / Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Max Thieriot, Elisabeth Shue, Eva Link, Gil Bellows: First off the house isn't located at the end of a street. A street would be lined with houses and lights and mailboxes. This is more less a house at the end of a vacant dirt road in the middle of nowhere. The recycled plot regards a mother and daughter, played by Elisabeth Shue and Jennifer Lawrence who move into a house that is located near another house where a girl murdered her parents four years prior. The house is occupied by the son of the deceased victims. He is scrutinized by locals but Lawrence strikes up a curiosity when she is given a drive home. Director Mark Tonderai renders this a laugh fest. Before Lawrence is picked up, the rain suddenly falls and it comes off as corny. Lawrence is a fine actress but she plays a total airhead here. Her entry into the house next door has her nosing about like she owns the place and it just comes off as dumb. Then we have Max Thieriot as the son next door who secretly shelters his psychotic sister in the basement. Another dimwitted move regards a scene where Lawrence is tied to a chair. A cop comes to the door and there are baby speakers present, so it would make sense to gag Lawrence. Instead she is told that no one would hear her, which makes no sense. Shue plays the over the top over protective mother, and Eva Link plays that nut case sister next door. Gil Bellows plays a cop who needs to be retrained so to do his job without viewers complaining how idiotic he is. This film should be locked in a basement and never seen again. Score: 1 / 10

Hollywood "horror" hogwash

Author: Adam Peters from Birkenhead United Kingdom
5 March 2015

(12%) If you think really hard, and do a bit of mental arithmetic, you'll probably come to the conclusion that of all the bad horror movies of the past so many years this could almost be considered a mild highlight of sorts. But then again does this even qualify as an actual horror movie in the first place? As a very good portion of the runtime is much more of a drama than anything else with only a small section at the beginning and at the end even resembling a horror picture. So it doesn't really qualify as a horror, and the vast bulk of teen based drama that makes up everything else is just bland, forgettable, and flat. The only thing this has going for it is Jennifer Lawrence who is clearly too good for the lame material she's given to work with, and the twist isn't exactly terrible in a kind of camp fire style way, but it clearly lacks enough substance for it to be made into a full length movie. My advice: skip this and watch a real horror movie instead.

Page 2 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]