IMDb > House at the End of the Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

What a house!

Author: coastdaze from United States
28 September 2012

This movie was a pleasant surprise to me because I thought it was going to be more of a "horror" movie...I wouldn't call it that, I'd call it a terrific suspense thriller with good twists here and there. I liked the casting and the storyline. The actors did a good job, esp. the young college student male lead. This is a story that could have actually happened, imo. The music was a big part of the movie, too. Good soundtrack that, while I was aware of it, it did not take away from the scenes but built up my anxiety! It was like another character. Definitely worth seeing for all the right reasons. Very entertaining and kept my attention throughout. All this without "blood & guts" galore - made me think of the old Alfred Hitchcock-type thrillers that depended more on the viewer's anticipation and imagination. Lastly, I thought I had the plot figured out, but I was surprised at how wrong I was. Smiled on my way out of the theater.

HATES is a solid thriller

Author: denza-476-692755 from United States
14 September 2012

**Alert: Spoilers Included**

I watched an advanced press screening for this film, and I have to say it was not the dead-girl-haunts-house horror story I was expecting, which turned out to be a very good thing. FYI: This one's more thriller than horror.

There's no doubt that Jennifer Lawrence makes this movie. The rest of the characters are underdeveloped and one-dimensional and it becomes difficult at times to separate Jenn in this role from her role in the Hunger Games.

For about half of the film, we're led to believe that the little girl locked away is a rabid serial killer. However, there is a HUGE plot twist at the end --one that is smarter and scarier than the standard horror fare we're used to.

With that said, the first half of the film drags (do we really care about Jenn's rock concert practices?) but certain parts are mysterious enough for viewers to put in the effort to connect the dots.

If you're a Jennifer Lawrence fan or love Criminal Minds/Law and Order SVU, check this movie out. If you're looking for a haunted house movie, you've clicked on the wrong flick.

As for me, I was pleasantly surprised!

Dumbed down thriller ripe for TV

Author: yourwarmembrace from United States
23 September 2012

I have to admit that there are two or three good jump sequences but there was no real payoff in the end. Nickelodeon does Psycho, Sleepaway Camp and maybe a touch of Kiss the Girls. It was not as bad nor as comical as The Possession and with that, this one perhaps takes itself too seriously. If this movie ever had an R rating then I assure you that all the best bits are on the cutting room floor. The editing is too quick and visually plays it much too safe. This one is up there with My Soul To Take in the disappointment factor. Complete cheese on toast for anyone not in High School. The acting was not terrible but there was just nothing to act on.

Everything in this film is so clichéd that you stood nearly ten feet ahead of it.

Author: ThePadraigMoista from Ireland
22 September 2012

House At The End of the Street stars Jennifer Lawrence and is about a daughter and mother who move into a house where the next door neighbor's's daughter killed her parents and fled the scene. She only left one surviving family member which was her brother.

A terrible name, terrible plot. Everything about this film is so clichéd that you stood nearly 10 feet ahead of it. There was no suspense and scenes that made you want to scream at the characters. And, just mentioning the characters, they were VERY one-dimensional. I didn't care about them, what happened to them, or what they will do. They all felt too generic to even listen to sometimes.

I kind of got the impression they were attempting a modernized Psycho- twist for teens. But it didn't come off, at all. The first half or maybe quarter was all right. But it went down-hill way too fast for me to comprehend. I thought the film could have went one direction, but when it came to the intersection, it looked at the right direction, gave it the finger, and went in the wrong one. I really had hopes for this one but it didn't deliver.

All in all, a terrible film. The only good thing about it is the first 20-30 minutes, some well-directed sequences and Jennifer Lawrence. That's all. Best to avoid this one, if you know what's good for you.

A low 4/10.

Not a horror film.

Author: We Watched A Movie from Lexington, Kentucky
10 October 2012

So here we are with The Last House on the Left. Sorry, I meant House at the End of the Street. Whatever. Can we start by having a serious talk with the guy picking movie names? He is really slacking off. We are here with Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) and her Mom (Elisabeth Shue) moving from the big city to a small town looking for a new start. Of-course, the house next door was apparently the location of a double murder where a little girl killed her parents and then disappeared herself. The little girl's brother (Max Thieriot) still lives in the home despite the tragedy. The adults hate him because his presence keeps them from bulldozing the house and its drain on the local housing market and the teenagers hate him because his parents were murdered? There really is no explanation for this other than everyone in this town is apparently a jerk. (Just go with it. That's the best were going to get.) Elissa starts to fall for Ryan and also has a hard time understanding the massive hate he gets when her mom and the neighborhood object to their relationship. But whether it for protecting the good or serving the forces of evil, Ryan has secrets of his own and as the two get close things begin to get creepy. (Allegedly)

Minus a few jump scares that I'm not afraid to admit made me drop my popcorn due to some sharp sound editing; this is no horror flick. HATES was advertised as scary business to get the target teenage audience' butts in the seats but is merely a Suspense/Thriller with young leads. With the exception of a single twist that will shock some and slightly nudge others everything is played rather straight. There's not much new to see here and there is certainly nothing to be scared of. Even after the true evil is finally revealed, there just doesn't seem to be much of a threat at any point.

HATES is still indeed, watchable. That's mostly due to Jennifer Lawrence who shines bright amidst all the average. It's impressive how she takes something as boring as a high school girl falling for the "mysterious guy with a past", adds heart and makes it more interesting than it was written. When in danger she's believably strong willed and could be the perfect "Scream Queen" for a horror film deserving of it. Elisabeth Shue played the part of concerned mother well and Max Thieriot didn't detract either. The problems with the film are rather in its constant plot holes and lack of anything interesting, original or more importantly scary for a film that calls itself Horror.

too predictable for my taste

Author: obediahsilt from United Kingdom
23 September 2012

If you've never seen a movie before then this is probably tolerable. Its always nice to see Elisabeth Shue. Jennifer Lawrence is definitely a leading lady of the future but this does no-one associated with it any favours.

Its just too clichéd, too predictable to be of any entertainment value.

In fairness I didn't totally hate it, but it wasn't involving. Its not a movie that you'll ever watch again or buy the DVD/ BR.

This is no fault of the cast but the script which means that you'll know how the movie ends before it is even half over.

Unless you're a rabid Lawrence fan then I wouldn't bother with this until there is a Netflix or DVD release.

Better than I expected

Author: Big_River from United States
17 January 2013

I was a little bit skeptical about watching this movie and I came very close to not watching it. But, because I had a spare couple of hours with nothing better to do, I decided to give it a whirl.

A lot of modern-day horror movies are made on a budget. The typical tell-tale signs which give them away is the use of poorly lit sets, very few filming locations and a very small cast of young and unknown actors. They like to follow the path of "The Blair Witch Project" and rely on heavy breathing to create the suspense. A pretty young lady starts to breathe heavily in the dark, something jumps out and gets her, right? Nowadays, this has become the norm and this is what we come to expect.

Well, I'm pleased to say that "House at the End of the Street" is different and unique in its own right. Why? Because its actually got a storyline and it keeps you thinking! Just when you think you've figured it all out there's another clever twist that comes along and makes you think "Gee, why didn't I think of that". This is a movie which is always one step ahead of you! Also, the actors in this movie actually act. Don't get me wrong, it's not on the same page as an Alfred Hitchcock movie, but it is, nonetheless, very refreshing.

"House at the End of the Street" turned out to be a little gem. I'm glad that I rented it.

Although the movie doesn't posses any intellectual value it is very entertaining and interesting to watch

Author: Sandro Natchkebia from Georgia
13 December 2012

The movie doesn't flourish with intelligence, but does it have to? It's genre makes it just a movie for entertainment. Jennifer Lawrence's acting is just flawless as in every other movie, which solely can make this video worth watching, but what I like most about it is it's unexpected ending. This is the very rare case when I couldn't actually guess the ending of the movie. It also sends a little message to the viewers about bullying and aggression, although, I repeat myself, it doesn't serve for the purpose of enlightenment of the viewer. I would recommend to watch this movie, but only with friends, when you want to be simply entertained.

Great place to hide a key.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
21 September 2012

Elissa and her mother move into a rented accommodation, which is surprisingly cheap due to the fact that a little girl murdered her parents and ran away at the titular location.

They learn that the son, Ryan, still lives there alone and plans to renovate the house and sell it.

All the townsfolk despise Ryan for no good reason and Elissa strikes a friendship with Ryan despite her Mothers doubts.

But is Ryan all that nice, and whats in his basement? Obviously released to make money thanks to Lawrences fame garnered from The Hunger Games, I wasn't looking forward to this in the slightest, but I was surprised.

I hadn't seen any trailers for the film, and purposely knew nothing about it.

For the most part of the film, it kept me uneasy, with an acute sense of dread throughout the film. For once I was thinking 'where could this go?' And then halfway through the second act, it clicks, but this is thanks to the film makers just being lazy.

It's not a horror film, and although there are a lot of jump scares, it's all down to over use of orchestral music, and the film homaging other classic movies (there is one scene at the end that reminded me of Silence of the Lambs, but it was effective).

The main cast are great, but support is just your awful typecast frat boys and geeks who add nothing to the film.

Lawrence proves that winters bone was no one trick pony, she really excels with the material, and although it goes into Pacific Heights/Fear/YUnlawful Entry/Single White Female mode during the finale, she manages to make the film a little bit better than it should be.

There is a little twist at the end, but you half expected it.

My advice is try not to read anything about this film, because if I had, I wouldn't have had enjoyed it half as much as I did knowing nothing about it.

Contrived, Cliché, and Snore-worthy

Author: Kevin Redbeard McManstein Sanders from Charlotte, Nc
20 September 2012

I saw this early because a friend of mine was able to get free tickets. If I had paid money for it, I would've walked out in about twenty minutes. The plot is entirely predictable (except for a half unexpected twist towards the end) and derivative. It's one part Amytiville Horror, one part Black Christmas, and one part Psycho.

Everything from this movie is essentially ripped from another movie. Each "scare" is just a jump scare. Absolutely no ambiance or tension. They keep attempting to do misdirection, but after the first few scenes of "hah! nothing behind this door!" it becomes a parody of itself. There's even a scene in the last few minutes that is mostly a scene-for- scene of the night vision bit from Silence of the Lambs.

The cinematography is awful. During moments of "emotional drama" the camera is all but three inches from the actors faces. The camera is shaky through almost all of the movie, from which my friend became nauseous. They do that cheesy "move slowly towards object of interest" thing.

The director seems to want you feel for the characters by shoving their life problems in your face within the first few minutes" Oh, teenage girl has problems with her mother. Oh, teenage guy is shunned by everyone. Are we supposed to feel for these one-dimensional characters?

All-in-all, a terrible movie. It's definitely NOT for horror fans. Save your money and catch it on cable in about three months.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]