House at the End of the Street (2012) Poster

164 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
What a house!
coastdaze28 September 2012
This movie was a pleasant surprise to me because I thought it was going to be more of a "horror" movie...I wouldn't call it that, I'd call it a terrific suspense thriller with good twists here and there. I liked the casting and the storyline. The actors did a good job, esp. the young college student male lead. This is a story that could have actually happened, imo. The music was a big part of the movie, too. Good soundtrack that, while I was aware of it, it did not take away from the scenes but built up my anxiety! It was like another character. Definitely worth seeing for all the right reasons. Very entertaining and kept my attention throughout. All this without "blood & guts" galore - made me think of the old Alfred Hitchcock-type thrillers that depended more on the viewer's anticipation and imagination. Lastly, I thought I had the plot figured out, but I was surprised at how wrong I was. Smiled on my way out of the theater.
101 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not a horror film.
We Watched A Movie10 October 2012
So here we are with The Last House on the Left. Sorry, I meant House at the End of the Street. Whatever. Can we start by having a serious talk with the guy picking movie names? He is really slacking off. We are here with Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) and her Mom (Elisabeth Shue) moving from the big city to a small town looking for a new start. Of-course, the house next door was apparently the location of a double murder where a little girl killed her parents and then disappeared herself. The little girl's brother (Max Thieriot) still lives in the home despite the tragedy. The adults hate him because his presence keeps them from bulldozing the house and its drain on the local housing market and the teenagers hate him because his parents were murdered? There really is no explanation for this other than everyone in this town is apparently a jerk. (Just go with it. That's the best were going to get.) Elissa starts to fall for Ryan and also has a hard time understanding the massive hate he gets when her mom and the neighborhood object to their relationship. But whether it for protecting the good or serving the forces of evil, Ryan has secrets of his own and as the two get close things begin to get creepy. (Allegedly)

Minus a few jump scares that I'm not afraid to admit made me drop my popcorn due to some sharp sound editing; this is no horror flick. HATES was advertised as scary business to get the target teenage audience' butts in the seats but is merely a Suspense/Thriller with young leads. With the exception of a single twist that will shock some and slightly nudge others everything is played rather straight. There's not much new to see here and there is certainly nothing to be scared of. Even after the true evil is finally revealed, there just doesn't seem to be much of a threat at any point.

HATES is still indeed, watchable. That's mostly due to Jennifer Lawrence who shines bright amidst all the average. It's impressive how she takes something as boring as a high school girl falling for the "mysterious guy with a past", adds heart and makes it more interesting than it was written. When in danger she's believably strong willed and could be the perfect "Scream Queen" for a horror film deserving of it. Elisabeth Shue played the part of concerned mother well and Max Thieriot didn't detract either. The problems with the film are rather in its constant plot holes and lack of anything interesting, original or more importantly scary for a film that calls itself Horror.
52 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
HATES is a solid thriller
denza-476-69275514 September 2012
**Alert: Spoilers Included**

I watched an advanced press screening for this film, and I have to say it was not the dead-girl-haunts-house horror story I was expecting, which turned out to be a very good thing. FYI: This one's more thriller than horror.

There's no doubt that Jennifer Lawrence makes this movie. The rest of the characters are underdeveloped and one-dimensional and it becomes difficult at times to separate Jenn in this role from her role in the Hunger Games.

For about half of the film, we're led to believe that the little girl locked away is a rabid serial killer. However, there is a HUGE plot twist at the end --one that is smarter and scarier than the standard horror fare we're used to.

With that said, the first half of the film drags (do we really care about Jenn's rock concert practices?) but certain parts are mysterious enough for viewers to put in the effort to connect the dots.

If you're a Jennifer Lawrence fan or love Criminal Minds/Law and Order SVU, check this movie out. If you're looking for a haunted house movie, you've clicked on the wrong flick.

As for me, I was pleasantly surprised!
51 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than I expected
Big_River17 January 2013
I was a little bit skeptical about watching this movie and I came very close to not watching it. But, because I had a spare couple of hours with nothing better to do, I decided to give it a whirl.

A lot of modern-day horror movies are made on a budget. The typical tell-tale signs which give them away is the use of poorly lit sets, very few filming locations and a very small cast of young and unknown actors. They like to follow the path of "The Blair Witch Project" and rely on heavy breathing to create the suspense. A pretty young lady starts to breathe heavily in the dark, something jumps out and gets her, right? Nowadays, this has become the norm and this is what we come to expect.

Well, I'm pleased to say that "House at the End of the Street" is different and unique in its own right. Why? Because its actually got a storyline and it keeps you thinking! Just when you think you've figured it all out there's another clever twist that comes along and makes you think "Gee, why didn't I think of that". This is a movie which is always one step ahead of you! Also, the actors in this movie actually act. Don't get me wrong, it's not on the same page as an Alfred Hitchcock movie, but it is, nonetheless, very refreshing.

"House at the End of the Street" turned out to be a little gem. I'm glad that I rented it.
38 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dumbed down thriller ripe for TV
yourwarmembrace23 September 2012
I have to admit that there are two or three good jump sequences but there was no real payoff in the end. Nickelodeon does Psycho, Sleepaway Camp and maybe a touch of Kiss the Girls. It was not as bad nor as comical as The Possession and with that, this one perhaps takes itself too seriously. If this movie ever had an R rating then I assure you that all the best bits are on the cutting room floor. The editing is too quick and visually plays it much too safe. This one is up there with My Soul To Take in the disappointment factor. Complete cheese on toast for anyone not in High School. The acting was not terrible but there was just nothing to act on.
67 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not bad but not good either...
Kevin Schotte17 November 2012
I went to see HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET last night and didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped I would. The story is dull and predictable and the acting isn't rocksolid!Jennifer Lawrence played her role well though, she "blows" everyone away in this movie BUT, on the other hand, and I don't want to sound too negative, this flick wasn't a very hard nut for her to crack!

The story ;

Elissa (Lawrence) moves into a new home together with her mom Sarah(Elisabeth Shue) and finds out that the son of a murdered couple, who lived next door, still lives in the house where his parents were killed. The surrounding neigbours complain about him and tell Elissa that the boy is bad news! She wants to find out herself though and steps into his life...

It's a not a very bad movie but skip the theatre and wait for it on bluray/DVD.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Although the movie doesn't posses any intellectual value it is very entertaining and interesting to watch
Sandro Natchkebia13 December 2012
The movie doesn't flourish with intelligence, but does it have to? It's genre makes it just a movie for entertainment. Jennifer Lawrence's acting is just flawless as in every other movie, which solely can make this video worth watching, but what I like most about it is it's unexpected ending. This is the very rare case when I couldn't actually guess the ending of the movie. It also sends a little message to the viewers about bullying and aggression, although, I repeat myself, it doesn't serve for the purpose of enlightenment of the viewer. I would recommend to watch this movie, but only with friends, when you want to be simply entertained.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Everything in this film is so clichéd that you stood nearly ten feet ahead of it.
ThePadraigMoista22 September 2012
House At The End of the Street stars Jennifer Lawrence and is about a daughter and mother who move into a house where the next door neighbor's's daughter killed her parents and fled the scene. She only left one surviving family member which was her brother.

A terrible name, terrible plot. Everything about this film is so clichéd that you stood nearly 10 feet ahead of it. There was no suspense and scenes that made you want to scream at the characters. And, just mentioning the characters, they were VERY one-dimensional. I didn't care about them, what happened to them, or what they will do. They all felt too generic to even listen to sometimes.

I kind of got the impression they were attempting a modernized Psycho- twist for teens. But it didn't come off, at all. The first half or maybe quarter was all right. But it went down-hill way too fast for me to comprehend. I thought the film could have went one direction, but when it came to the intersection, it looked at the right direction, gave it the finger, and went in the wrong one. I really had hopes for this one but it didn't deliver.

All in all, a terrible film. The only good thing about it is the first 20-30 minutes, some well-directed sequences and Jennifer Lawrence. That's all. Best to avoid this one, if you know what's good for you.

A low 4/10.
81 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
too predictable for my taste
obediahsilt23 September 2012
If you've never seen a movie before then this is probably tolerable. Its always nice to see Elisabeth Shue. Jennifer Lawrence is definitely a leading lady of the future but this does no-one associated with it any favours.

Its just too clichéd, too predictable to be of any entertainment value.

In fairness I didn't totally hate it, but it wasn't involving. Its not a movie that you'll ever watch again or buy the DVD/ BR.

This is no fault of the cast but the script which means that you'll know how the movie ends before it is even half over.

Unless you're a rabid Lawrence fan then I wouldn't bother with this until there is a Netflix or DVD release.
69 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Waste. Of. Time.
krispee_creem24 September 2012
This is the worst movie I have ever been talked into going to see in the movie theater.

The story is ultra-predictable, and not at all interesting.

It is great seeing Elizabeth Shue.....but her character is flat and somewhat unbelievable. (What doctor marries a rock star??)

They should have just called this movie: Jennifer Lawrence on Screen for an Hour and a Half

Lawrence wasn't terrible, but it shouldn't be hard to play a high school student who hates her mom in every scene.

All of the supporting characters are poorly developed. I did not feel attached to any of them, and after a while was actually hoping that one of them would be killed, so as to add some sort of entertainment value to an otherwise bland movie.

Overall, this movie was awful and not worth wasting any money to see it in the theater or renting/buying it on DVD/blu ray.

Unless your significant other begs you to see this because they are HUGE Jennifer Lawrence or Horror fans, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.
32 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this