IMDb > "Harry's Law" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Harry's Law"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Harry's Law" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A Real Winner

Author: lisa_chioda from United States
17 January 2011

Not since Boston Legal, The Closer, and Saving Grace have I been so excited about a new show. I can just feel it, I have fallen for this show. Boston Legal was my all time favorite. I went into mourning when it went off the air. I bet this will be as good, especially since it is written by the same awesome writer as Boston Legal. I cannot wait until next Monday to see the next episode. Harry's Law combines social issues, work issues, and life issues with comedy in a way which will grab anyone who gives it a watch just once. There are very interesting characters in this show. As you watch, you think you know what will happen, only to be shown that what you may assume is not what actually is. Very astute writing and casting of the characters. Each character shown in this first episode was a person you could relate to, or was in a situation you could relate to. I gasped, I laughed, I got angry, I got worried, and finally I felt a sense of relief that maybe, just maybe everything would be okay, especially if this show comes back year after year. Cathy Bates and the supporting cast are a perfect compliment to each other.

Top Drawer in Every Respect!

Author: mmaharis from United States
21 January 2011

This show was excellent, filled with insightful views and charged emotion about our flawed criminal justice system. Rightfully so.

The script was so very true to life in the criminal courts that it brought me to tears.

Stellar performances all around, I love these characters. If only there were young attorneys like the young patent attorney in our courts.

The shoe store idea as her office make me smile... Bring it on ladies!

The metaphysical ingredients are so refreshing. They lighten the serious issues that the script addresses.

David Kelly you've done it again... from the heart. Thank you.

Please, NBC, give us more!

Harry's Law is off to a compelling start

Author: jasonventer from Oregon
17 January 2011

There are a lot of things that the first episode of a new television show needs to do. It needs to introduce the characters. It needs to give them quirks and it needs to make you care about those quirks. Finally and most importantly, it needs to amuse. "Harry's Law," the new show from David E. Kelley, did all of the above in its first episode. The result is a show that has a lot of potential. It gives off that terrific Kelley vibe without recycling familiar characters from "Ally McBeal" and "Boston Legal." In short, it's fair to say that the first episode was a success and a good start to what has the potential to be a terrific series.

The show perhaps isn't quite there yet, but that's what subsequent episodes are for. Consider how the episode begins and how it progresses and--but we can't go there without spoilers, so consider this your spoiler warning.

As the episode begins, Harry is telling her boss at a cushy patent law office that she really can't abide the thought of another patent law case. Only she doesn't say it quite that nicely, because that's not quite how Harry works. She's built up a career as a brilliant patent law attorney, so perhaps she figures she's entitled to speaking her mind with her employer. He disagrees and she finds herself walking down the street. Then, a new opportunity falls from the sky. In one of the first real jokes, she is hit by a falling black man.

Following a visit to the hospital, she finds herself again walking down that wretched street in that wretched neighborhood. She notices a store front that is up for grabs--as are other buildings in the area--and as Kathy Bates narrates about how this is the start of something, the reflective tone is interrupted by a car flying in from off-screen and hitting Harry. For the second time, Harry finds herself taking a trip to the hospital. It's one of those days and this first episode was one of those episodes where perhaps you think you know what's going to happen next, only the writing was solid enough that you could never be quite sure. That's a welcome symptom of David E. Kelley's writing.

The remainder of the episode revolves around two cases, as you might come to expect. Harry and her potential and unlikely new legal partner, the fellow who hit her with his car, find themselves trying cases as defense attorneys. They're defending two black men: the young man who fell on Harry and another unlikely defendant, an equally young man who tried to talk Harry into paying him for security and wound up obtaining her services as a defense attorney instead.

It was an interesting first episode, one that at each turn felt almost exactly like something that you might expect to come from the mind of David E. Kelley. In other words, it was a fine start. Future episodes will need to dial down the absurdity a touch (they can hardly repeat the one-two punch of falling black man and souped up luxury vehicle as means of assault, though, now can they?) and perhaps bring about some cases with more complexity, but the first episode covered a lot of ground and right now there's no reason that Kelley's devotees should refrain from sticking around for at least a few more episodes to see where things go from here. Harry's Law promises to be an interesting ride, with initially shallow characters who are bound to develop depth with each new episode.

Kathy Bates

Author: samshaw91 from Jacksonville, NC
18 January 2011

God I love KATHY BATES!!!!!! Great great job!!!!!! Loyal and devoted fan forever! It was funny, refreshing, warm, friendly, and good. I felt good about watching it and I felt good after watching it. I loved all the characters, even the so called bad guys. It felt kind of like watching Royal Pains and Memphis Beat. You kind of know where it was going, and that was OK because we don't always have to be mentally challenged to enjoy something. The co-stars, (the little blonde from Hair Spray) was just huggable and right for the role, as was the mother of the boy who was on trial. I wish I could remember their names! Can't wait for next week!

Out with the old and in with the new

Author: carebearcaryn21 from United States
21 October 2011

What happened to this show now that we are into season two. They changed the set-up, they haven't emphasized anymore that they are still in a bad neighborhood, they wrote out Malcolm and Jenna, they have added new players without even blinking, and what happened to their cases? They used to do pro bono work and help the community which included a lot of black people. So far I don't see any of that in season 2 and I don't like it. They need to go back to the roots of the show and what it was originally based on. Who cares about making money? I loved the show because Harry helped the people. She's still helping people, but the clientèle has changed and I do not know why.

Harry's Law lost at least one fan

Author: Bettie-168-874953 from United States
24 September 2011

I loved this show, until the first episode of the new season. I'm so disappointed! What on earth have they done to such a great show? And what a waste of a great talent like Kathy Bates! The charm of this show was the one-on-one accessibility of a lawyer with an open door to the poor community. A gang member could open the door from the mean streets and find Harry, a grumpy yet fearless advocate, on the other side of that door. Now it looks like any other cookie-cutter law show. There was the fun of a law office combined with a show store. Now that's gone. And what happened to the assistant, who wanted to be a lawyer. There was no explanation of his departure. The storyline of the past seasons included Tommy and Harry becoming friends, but there was still a respectable distance that kept things interesting. The quirky underdog was what gave this show appeal and separated it from all the other "Law" shows on TV. Harry's Law lost at least one fan.

it sneaks up on you

Author: jpebbles37 from United States
25 January 2011

this a show that sneaks up you and you do not even expect it to be great and entertaining. I was bored and watched this at 2 am and was so entertained by it. They promote all the shows that have sexy, skinny girls or sexy men in them and forget to promote a really great show that is interesting and just amazing. I never liked Kathy Bates before in movies, but in this television show is really amazing. the whole cast works well together and the characters are just superb. I just can not believe that they finally came out with something that is good and not about clothes and design and rich people in big expensive house. It is about everyday people who need help and there is someone out there to help them this time,.

Excellent first episode

Author: welshNick from United Kingdom

Very good first episode.

Kathy Bates shows she is still a great actress with a very polished performance as a patent lawyer who after being fired is now defending the less well off members of society in the criminal court.

This is of course a very well used and very successful formula for TV having been used many times before in for example Petrocelli. There is a good injection of humour and the three main players have a very good chemistry with each other.

It remains to be seen if it will survive as it has been put up against Hawaii five-o which may prove to be a serious mistake as far as the ratings go.

This is well worth watching and taping if you are an addict to the not very good drama from Hawaii.

the court cases are limited

Author: artbetty595 from United States
30 January 2011

I like Harry's opening moments getting a black guy to fall on her and a car hitting her; her spunky girl shoe salesperson; her Jr partner

...BUT and it is a big BUT;

i found the court cases they are deciding to take to have very little to like. The premise seems to be "if you feel sorry for the they defendants should just be found not guilty". Since the neighborhood where her office is seems to be where the stories come from, the stories don't seem to have much life or hope for change to them. i am over seeing a rotten nasty grandma getting off of an armed robbery charge Scot free when she held a gun to a mans head and threatened to blow it off for the money in the drawer.

The question will always be: how do we find entertainment and yet not be preached to by socialists who take themselves too seriously. We see you and do not agree.

Wonderfully creative and entertaining show

Author: pingidjit13 from Canada
18 January 2011

I'm not sure what show the other reviewer was watching because Harry's Law was fantastic. I am a huge fan of Kathy Bates so maybe I am not entirely impartial but I found this show to be clever, witty, intelligent and very entertaining.

The other reviewer had way too many expectations from one episode. It was just the pilot. This is where we ARE suppose to find out about the characters and so the focus was rightfully towards them. Yes the 'You're out of order' speech is something we have heard before, but that was the point. He was trying to point out just how stupid the case was and succeeded. Kathy Bates character managed to get in 2 accidents, defend a client, hire staff, meet the locals and find more new clients. Sounds like she did a heck of a lot to me. More than the girl whose only focus was on shoes.

I loved Harry's courtroom speech. It really showed her talent. I was also impressed by all the other actors. All characters were very believable and likable and I look forward to watching them every week. I very rarely openly laugh at a show and this was one time I did. Twice. I smiled, I cheered and I was impressed. This show is highly entertaining and anyone who didn't catch it missed out. I hope that Harry's Law will be around for awhile cause I see myself loving it thoroughly.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]